Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen

+28
RealRacer4
Pyrozooka0
JMac525
Cardinals5
f1fan12
SpeedDemon37
PackerMan71
RyanB06
bsoyuz
BooyakaDragon
Milan655
Cynon
RealRacingRoots
PYLrulz
Sparkz47
navycook75
gone-sovereign
Mother of Invention
TheFallenHaveRisen
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
flyingturns89
Backmarker
bigdc48
Memoriesallbutdone
BWard
Lucstar88
crl
BBoy
32 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen - Page 4 Empty Re: NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen

Post by Sparkz47 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Mother of Invention wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:And now the announcers are already talking about changing the track. Even when everyone walks away completely unharmed we have to start a witch hunt.

why wait till someone dies, when you can prevent death.

There's a difference in taking reasonable precautions and remodeling an entire track based on a couple of big incidents. I heard a lot of drivers and media during the red flag talking ad nauseam about more run-off. In my opinion, racing needs unforgiving tracks. Otherwise, where's the punishment? To me, at least, racing loses a lot when a driver's only penalty for screwing up a corner is running over into more asphalt and losing a couple of seconds. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but crashes are a part of racing. A major part of racing is the fact that one slip up, and your car is a pile of trash.

Although the COT isn't everyone's cup of tea, no one doubts that it's safe. When you have these tanks of cars that have been proven to keep drivers uninjured in head-on collisions of at least 170mph, an ARMCO barrier close to the track is an acceptable risk. In my opinion, tracks should be unforgiving and push car and driver to the limit. I'm not a huge fan of run-offs the size of airstrips, slow-down chicanes, or penalties and blame being assigned for every unforeseen circumstance. I think that the major racing series have a duty to keep the level of danger within reason, but to also not strip racing of every little risk. Or else, what's the point?

Also, before the "Hi, Boozooka" comments start rolling in, I'm in full support of reasonable run-off to avoid ridiculous impacts or safety features such as tire or SAFER barriers. But, like I said above, the tough nature of tracks like the Glen (or Nordschleif, Bathurst, Indianapolis, etc.) further serves to showcase the skills of the competitors. As long as they're strapped in good and proper (as they are in the COT), some walls on either side won't be a major threat.

TL;DR - Keep it safe, but keep it tough

(Huh, I didn't really mean to make this mammoth of a post, but, well, there's my opinion on safety in motorsports for you.  Laughing )
Sparkz47
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:And now the announcers are already talking about changing the track. Even when everyone walks away completely unharmed we have to start a witch hunt.

There's a difference in taking reasonable precautions and remodeling an entire track based on a couple of big incidents. I heard a lot of drivers and media during the red flag talking ad nauseam about more run-off. In my opinion, racing needs unforgiving tracks. Otherwise, where's the punishment? To me, at least, racing loses a lot when a driver's only penalty for screwing up a corner is running over into more asphalt and losing a couple of seconds. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but crashes are a part of racing. A major part of racing is the fact that one slip up, and your car is a pile of trash.  

Although the COT isn't everyone's cup of tea, no one doubts that it's safe. When you have these tanks of cars that have been proven to keep drivers uninjured in head-on collisions of at least 170mph, an ARMCO barrier close to the track is an acceptable risk. In my opinion, tracks should be unforgiving and push car and driver to the limit. I'm not a huge fan of run-offs the size of airstrips, slow-down chicanes, or penalties and blame being assigned for every unforeseen circumstance. I think that the major racing series have a duty to keep the level of danger within reason, but to also not strip racing of every little risk. Or else, what's the point?

Also, before the "Hi, Boozooka" comments start rolling in, I'm in full support of reasonable run-off to avoid ridiculous impacts or safety features such as tire or SAFER barriers. But, like I said above, the tough nature of tracks like the Glen (or Nordschleif, Bathurst, Indianapolis, etc.)  further serves to showcase the skills of the competitors. As long as they're strapped in good and proper (as they are in the COT), some walls on either side won't be a major threat.

(Huh, I didn't really mean to make this mammoth of a post, but, well, there's my opinion on safety in motorsports for you.  Laughing )

I'm really, really not a fan of huge amounts of runoff for the reasons you mentioned. That's why the news about the Parabolica made me die a little inside.

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:34 am

Cynon wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Also, before the "Hi, Boozooka" comments start rolling in, I'm in full support of reasonable run-off to avoid ridiculous impacts or safety features such as tire or SAFER barriers. But, like I said above, the tough nature of tracks like the Glen (or Nordschleif, Bathurst, Indianapolis, etc.)  further serves to showcase the skills of the competitors. As long as they're strapped in good and proper (as they are in the COT), some walls on either side won't be a major threat.

I'm really, really not a fan of huge amounts of runoff for the reasons you mentioned. That's why the news about the Parabolica made me die a little inside.

But on the flip side, if there is a pretty obvious safety flaw, why wait, or even claim "the cars are safe, nothing can happen".  These guys race at a high rate of speed.  All it can take is one tiny flaw, and you can have all the safety advancements in the world, it won't matter.

I'm actually quite surprised this type of thing hasn't happened at Sonoma yet, with that wall they kinda have jutting out there at the chute.

Watching the replay of the race, I say at the very least, if they insist on not running the boot, then get the tire wall out of there and just leave it as Armco barrier, nothing more.  No way you need a tire barrier there if the boot isn't being utilized.  Cars hitting that tire barrier there are going to kick out like that every time.
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:There's a difference in taking reasonable precautions and remodeling an entire track based on a couple of big incidents. I heard a lot of drivers and media during the red flag talking ad nauseam about more run-off. In my opinion, racing needs unforgiving tracks. Otherwise, where's the punishment? To me, at least, racing loses a lot when a driver's only penalty for screwing up a corner is running over into more asphalt and losing a couple of seconds. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but crashes are a part of racing. A major part of racing is the fact that one slip up, and your car is a pile of trash.  

For the most part, I agree with this. But I suppose that an argument could also be made for the drivers who did not initially go off course that have been caught up in some of these nasty wrecks (McDowell yesterday, Gordon and Burton in 2009, etc.).

So I guess that I'm not quite sure what I think about this.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:17 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:There's a difference in taking reasonable precautions and remodeling an entire track based on a couple of big incidents. I heard a lot of drivers and media during the red flag talking ad nauseam about more run-off. In my opinion, racing needs unforgiving tracks. Otherwise, where's the punishment? To me, at least, racing loses a lot when a driver's only penalty for screwing up a corner is running over into more asphalt and losing a couple of seconds. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but crashes are a part of racing. A major part of racing is the fact that one slip up, and your car is a pile of trash.  

But I suppose that an argument could also be made for the drivers who did not initially go off course that have been caught up in some of these nasty wrecks (McDowell yesterday, Gordon and Burton in 2009, etc.).

If it's fine when it happens on an oval, why is it suddenly wrong on a road course?
Sparkz47
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:

But I suppose that an argument could also be made for the drivers who did not initially go off course that have been caught up in some of these nasty wrecks (McDowell yesterday, Gordon and Burton in 2009, etc.).

If it's fine when it happens on an oval, why is it suddenly wrong on a road course?
Ah, good point.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Does anyone recall an IndyCar driver having a nasty impact with the Armco at The Glen?

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen - Page 4 NM14-Wallpapers-LewisS_Android_320x480
crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:50 am

crl wrote:Does anyone recall an IndyCar driver having a nasty impact with the Armco at The Glen?

bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4