Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nascar offseason news

+24
NASCARLOVER427
Alpineopossum
gone-sovereign
Lucstar88
Ben Atkins
Cynon
SpeedDemon37
PYLrulz
AntmanB
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Rovenami
Rykia
flyingturns89
TPGRacing75
Tanrar
Electric Wolf
BooyakaDragon
RyanB06
f1fan12
Mother of Invention
Alta
Backmarker
PRAWBLEMS
zfitzwater599
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nascar offseason news - Page 2 Empty Re: Nascar offseason news

Post by zfitzwater599 Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 am

Cynon wrote:
PRAWBLEMS wrote:
Ben Atkins wrote:
Cynon wrote:
PYLrulz wrote:
BooyakaDragon wrote:http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/exclusive-carl-edwards-wont-race-2017

Carl Edwards to not race in NASCAR for 2017. Suarez tagged to replace.

Just when you think things couldn't get any crazier, Carl Edwards pulls this out of his rear!

Gotta wonder what's up with that.

Edwards is notoriously private with his personal life, which I can respect. I wonder if Nico Rosberg's statement that he couldn't give enough energy to make another serious run at the World Championship resonated with Cousin Carl (or as Kurt Busch apparently called him, "The Carl")?

Alternatively, there might be other things Edwards wants to do with his life while he feels he's young enough to do them properly. The one thing I can think of is acting, and a lot of modern racing drivers are pretty good at making excuses.

Wasn't Carl on the show "24" in the past? That would make a lot of sense, if that was the case.
Apparently it looks like Carl may be interested in getting into politics.
Link

Given that he had the Gadsden flag openly displayed on his car, that isn't a surprise.
I heard commentary booth for Edwards
zfitzwater599
zfitzwater599
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 pm

When I first heard Edwards was retiring, my first suspicion was that he was considering a career in politics -- maybe for the same reasons some actors were giving up acting for activism. Even though Carl's a conservative, I honestly wonder if the stigma regarding this past election swayed him towards considering a political career in some way. He might have some strong feelings about it...

I was really sad to hear that he was retiring though. I was gutted when he lost the title last season. Felt like he would've won a title sooner or later, but now I guess not. I'm really gonna miss his backflips after winning races. Crying or Very sad

zfitzwater599 wrote:I heard commentary booth for Edwards

Carl Edwards has confirmed he isn't going to the TV booth. I did hear this, though: Don't believe everything you read on your Facebook feed, but an inside source said that Carl wanted to pursue a career as a news media actor. That would kinda make sense. I don't have the source for that though, so take it with a grain of salt.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:24 am

A few items that have been unmentioned yet.

ThorSport has released both Rico Abreu and Cameron Hayley from the team. No word on who will replace them.

Brad Keselowski Racing has signed a deal with Ford development driver and 2016 ARCA Champion Chase Briscoe for Briscoe to run the full 2017 Truck Series season. Briscoe joins Austin Cindric at BKR.

Elliott Sadler will run the Daytona 500 for Tommy Baldwin Racing as a one-off. Baldwin sold their charter to Leavine Family Racing at the end of the 2016 season, so Sadler will have to qualify. Golden Corral will sponsor the car, with the Kids Eat Free with a top 10 offer being used again.

Brendan Gaughan announced today that he will attempt to qualify for the Daytona 500 in February. Gaughan will drive for Beard Motorsports, who have not attempted a Cup race since 2014. The team will use the car Michael McDowell drove to a 15th place finish in last year's 500. They will also have a new ECR engine, as well Gaughan's pit crew pitting the car.

Finally, though it has not officially been confirmed, Michael Waltrip is expected to drive for Premium Motorsports in the Daytona 500. Waltrip is expected to drive the #55 car, which is expected to carry the team's charter which they bought from HScott Motorsports. The team's other car, the #98 is expected to be full time as well. No driver has been announced for that car.

2017 Cup Team Chart:
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:33 am

Darlington will Host their Throwback weekend once again in 2017.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:46 am

Carl Long bought an HScott car and will enter some cup races.
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PRAWBLEMS Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 am

Mother of Invention wrote:Carl Long bought an HScott car and will enter some cup races.
Is he bringing his king-size motors back?
PRAWBLEMS
PRAWBLEMS
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zfitzwater599 Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:46 pm

PRAWBLEMS wrote:
Mother of Invention wrote:Carl Long bought an HScott car and will enter some cup races.
Is he bringing his king-size motors back?
Source
zfitzwater599
zfitzwater599
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:52 am

yeah, dosent he need to pay the 200,000 fine, or does that not apply to owning a cup car/Fielding it in a race?n
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:32 pm

AntmanB wrote:yeah, dosent he need to pay the 200,000 fine, or does that not apply to owning a cup car/Fielding it in a race?n

Owning a car, he's allowed. He can't drive it though.
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 pm

DJ Kennington Will Attempt the Daytona 500 For The New Gaunt Racing Team. he will Drive Car 96.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:59 pm

NASCAR recently did a test on the Charlotte Motor Speedway road course (which appears to have added an extra few turns recently), and are contemplating holding a race on it. Motorsport.com says that this idea has been discussed in the past (particularly in 2015), and that a road course race could be held there during the all star week, but a more likely possibility is that the fall Charlotte race may be simply switched from the oval to the road course.

LINK:
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-stages-road-course-test-at-charlotte-motor-speedway-866949/
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NASCARLOVER427 Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:NASCAR recently did a test on the Charlotte Motor Speedway road course (which appears to have added an extra few turns recently), and are contemplating holding a race on it. Motorsport.com says that this idea has been discussed in the past (particularly in 2015), and that a road course race could be held there during the all star week, but a more likely possibility is that the fall Charlotte race may be simply switched from the oval to the road course.

LINK:
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-stages-road-course-test-at-charlotte-motor-speedway-866949/

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
NASCARLOVER427
NASCARLOVER427
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

I know that a good number of the infield road courses at the NASCAR venues wouldn't make good stock car circuits, but that aside I've always wondered why a race on at least one of them had never really been considered.

No telling whether it would be a success, but personally I really hope that this happens! If they're looking to change things up with the 500-miler at Charlotte then this would be a lot better than relocating it to Las Vegas.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:09 pm

NASCAR will hold a Press Conference at 6 pm ET Monday to Announce 2017 Rule Changes.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael29Shell Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:02 pm

AntmanB wrote:NASCAR will hold a Press Conference at 6 pm ET Monday to Announce 2017 Rule Changes.

This might be the change that they make: http://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/18527625/nascar-expected-announce-monday-change-how-awards-points
Michael29Shell
Michael29Shell
Development Series Rookie
Development Series Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rovenami Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Michael29Shell wrote:
AntmanB wrote:NASCAR will hold a Press Conference at 6 pm ET Monday to Announce 2017 Rule Changes.

This might be the change that they make: http://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/18527625/nascar-expected-announce-monday-change-how-awards-points
Okay, I get where they're going for with the points system if it were to take effect. Rewarding drivers who were dominant in a race during the first half of the race for their efforts and/or pit strategy. But, what if the race was rain-delayed or rained out?
Rovenami
Rovenami
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by NASCARLOVER427 Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:03 am

Rovenami wrote:
Michael29Shell wrote:

Okay, I get where they're going for with the points system if it were to take effect. Rewarding drivers who were dominant in a race during the first half of the race for their efforts and/or pit strategy. But, what if the race was rain-delayed or rained out?

Delays wouldn't affect the actual race, but for shortened races I think it would just award the end of race points along with the points for the completed segments.
NASCARLOVER427
NASCARLOVER427
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Rovenami Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 am

Reed Sorenson will drive for Premium Motorsports' non-charter team and Jeffery Earnhardt will drive for CircleSport's #33 entry full-time.
Rovenami
Rovenami
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Bombshell announcement:

The Duels @ Daytona will now be awarding points starting this year.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PRAWBLEMS Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

PackerMan71 wrote:Bombshell announcement:

Among other new crap...
- Playoff points that go with the points(??)
- Top 10 in regular season get rewarded (damn it'seems almost like we already system.... 2004-2006?)
- New Flags (Self-explanatory)
PRAWBLEMS
PRAWBLEMS
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 pm

The only thing I don't like about this is we have 2 guaranteed cautions every race.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 pm

PRAWBLEMS wrote:
PackerMan71 wrote:Bombshell announcement:

Among other new crap...
- Playoff points that go with the points(??)
- Top 10 in regular season get rewarded (damn it'seems almost like we already system.... 2004-2006?)
- New Flags (Self-explanatory)

The funny thing is, awarding points in the Duels isn't a new thing. They were doing back before Winston became title sponsor.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PRAWBLEMS Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Apparently this snuck in and now it's even worse https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/823670177271136257
PRAWBLEMS
PRAWBLEMS
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 pm

You know, when I heard about these format changes, I had been hoping that it wouldn't affect the races themselves, just how points are distributed. I wouldn't have cared if that's all it was. But this is fucking ludicrous. And no other racing league does this. Stop trying to turn the sport into something it's not, and let 'em fucking race.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:03 pm

kensethfan wrote:You know, when I heard about these format changes, I had been hoping that it wouldn't affect the races themselves, just how points are distributed. I wouldn't have cared if that's all it was. But this is fucking ludicrous. And no other racing league does this. Stop trying to turn the sport into something it's not, and let 'em fucking race.

I think that's exactly why I like it.

It's different. Credit to NASCAR for trying something different and daring to be bold. They seem to be trying to make the product better, genuinely. I hope it works.

Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Ben Atkins wrote:
kensethfan wrote:You know, when I heard about these format changes, I had been hoping that it wouldn't affect the races themselves, just how points are distributed. I wouldn't have cared if that's all it was. But this is fucking ludicrous. And no other racing league does this. Stop trying to turn the sport into something it's not, and let 'em fucking race.

I think that's exactly why I like it.

It's different. Credit to NASCAR for trying something different and daring to be bold. They seem to be trying to make the product better, genuinely. I hope it works.

I don't know, man. Gimmicky stuff like this has failed in the past... miserably.

Will this actually succeed? Based on past history, I doubt it. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 am

It could have been worse. Razz
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 am

Here's a list of what appears to be most of the notable rule changes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-reveals-points-system-segmented-011752576.html

Job well done to NASCAR for:

- trying to reward those who run well even if they don't achieve the victory
- trying to make the racing more entertaining
- trying something... period!

As much credit as they deserve, however, I'm personally not quite sure how I feel about these changes. I've long thought that the idea of Duel-esque heats (with bonus points for the top finishers as well as points for the feature race front row) would be a good idea for all non-triple crown races, but this new race-to-race points system just seems... frustratingly complicated. And the already complicated season-long system is now even more so than it was before. Perhaps if there were no "playoffs" (and therefore no "playoff points" or however that's going to work) I would be a lot more interested, but as long as that general system is around then I don't think that I can get behind it.

As I already mentioned, however, they're trying to respond to the demands of their fan base. I can only be so critical.

Also, one more change that no one here has mentioned yet (although I suppose that it's somewhat obvious);

yahoo.com wrote:- The Caution Clock in the Camping World Truck Series has been eliminated.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:22 am

Michael29Shell wrote:

NASCAR need to go back to the 'original' chase where the top 12 ran for normally rewarded points after the race and no one gets 'eliminated' every other race. Honestly, I haven't watched NASCAR for a good 3 or 4 years now. In Europe we don't go full coverage of the season, so it makes it bloody hard to follow what's going on in the actual standings and I have real difficulty caring for the series when I find the point system so frustrating, difficult to follow and just overall stupid. It doesn't reward a consistently quick driver! And I can imagine for a new fan trying to get into the sport, they'll find out about the point system, become confused and then not bother watching anymore. It's not helping the sport, it's making it more confusing and could be turning people away (as I assume it may have done for quite a few Euros now). The system was never broken, why try to fix it???
Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I think it's fine. The only thing I don't like is throwing a yellow at the end of the segments.
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:34 am

we have a 3rd guaranteed caution every week as gray gualding announced he will run most 33/36 Races in the #23 BK Racing Car. Joey Gase will run the 500,Kentucky and the Bristol Night Race.

and Despite Everyone worrying, WE HAVE A FULL FIELD for the Daytona 500. The Circle Sport #33 would be 41.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:08 am

Michael Waltrip has announced that the 2017 Daytona 500 will be his final NASCAR start. Does this mean I have to retire my World War W gimmick? Crying or Very sad

Also, I believe Carl Edwards said he wasn't ruling out potentially running for a seat on the U.S. Senate in 2018.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:23 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on here. So here are my thoughts on the news.

Carl Edwards retiring was a huge shock to me as much as everyone else, but I wish him the best on his next career at something. I'm looking forward to Daniel Suarez in the Cup series. He might be the next big thing.

As for the race enhancements for "playoff" points, I'm in the middle of how I feel. I appreciate NASCAR for trying something new, but there could be some improvements. I just don't know which, but we'll see.

And THANK GOD Michael Waltrip will not be in a car after the Daytona 500. THANK GOD!!!
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by zfitzwater599 Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:24 am

Cole Whitt to Tri-Star full-time in Cup in 2017 in Car 72
zfitzwater599
zfitzwater599
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:39 am

zfitzwater599 wrote:Cole Whitt to Tri-Star full-time in Cup in 2017 in Car 72

we know have 42 500 Entries after we could have had as few as 30.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 pm

The reports of the Cup Series' death seem to have been (at least for now) greatly exaggerated.
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Tri-Star's #72 team will have a charter as well. The team has leased a charter from Front Row Motorsports, who have purchased a charter from the #83 BK Racing team. Front Row's plan is to expand to three cars next season, and this move will allow them to do that.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2