Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase

+27
Tanrar
Magus978
Ceej
Cardinals5
f1fan12
Alpineopossum
RetrogradeRenegade
Mystrsyko
bigdc48
Nascar9fan
RealRacer4
Cynon
flyingturns89
Rykia
crl
BooyakaDragon
Pyrozooka0
Lucstar88
Metro 6r4
bsoyuz
pennst24
Sparkz47
BWard
PYLrulz
PackerMan71
Alta
RACECAR
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase Empty Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase

Post by RACECAR Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/17/4620805/nascar-to-overhaul-points-chase.html#.UtoGnbnnbIX

Unsurprisingly, yet another gimmick from traditional Stick & ball sports. Yeah, this'll revitalize the sport Rolling Eyes 
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase Empty Re: Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase

Post by Alta Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:54 pm

This has potential to be stupid and hilarious.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase Empty Re: Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase

Post by PackerMan71 Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:09 am

NASCAR...

This is what I want to do to NASCAR right now...

Over and over and over again.

Fail Fail Fail
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:44 am

At this point, the fuck I give about NASCAR shrinks by the day
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:28 am

mfw this happens:

Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase Meme-really
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 am

>mfw

Sparkz47
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:18 am

Theoretically you could win the first 35 races and still lose the championship......
pennst24
pennst24
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:57 am

pennst24 wrote:Theoretically you could win the first 35 races and still lose the championship......

Oh, if this happens with Jimmie Johnson once......I would be so happy.But the idea is kinda 'meh', is really better to fold the chase system, The Spingate shown that......
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Metro 6r4 Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:35 am

Just can the chase! Is it that hard for you idiots to understand?!
Metro 6r4
Metro 6r4
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 am

Well i guess Brian France is trying to run NASCAR into the ground, cause that's what it looks like...
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrozooka0 Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:28 pm

I like the bigger field, the lock ins, and the eliminations, but not the winner take all part.

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:39 pm

I like the "Win and You're In" one. Course it would need tweaks, but it would give drivers more reason to win. Everything else is horrible.
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:49 pm

This has potential to be disastrous.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:41 pm

So, NASCAR is going to copy the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup Playoffs format, which is garbage itself, when the PGA Tour started the FedEx Cup because of NASCAR. The universe should implode over this paradox.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase NM14-Wallpapers-LewisS_Android_320x480
crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:48 pm

crl wrote:So, NASCAR is going to copy the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup Playoffs format, which is garbage itself, when the PGA Tour started the FedEx Cup because of NASCAR. The universe should implode over this paradox.

Everyone, jump out this universe, NOW!!!!!!!  Laughing 
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykia Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:50 pm

This'll force Johnson and Knaus to actually try at Homestead. Saying that, my money is on them winning the championship.

Rykia
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I see this having two major problems.

1) It seems every year there's a driver who wins a race but doesn't do anything else in the season. This year that was David Ragan, who sat barely inside the top 25 after when the Chase started this year. Yet under this new format, Ragan would have made the Chase. Does that really seem fair? Making the Chase a one good run gives you a shot at the title kind of championship. That's like the NFL saying any team that beats last year's Super Bowl winning team automatically gets a playoff berth. One good week can lock you in.

2) The final four of NASCAR. Resetting the points with one race left is just asking for controversy. On one hand, you could have a guy like Jimmie Johnson who runs an unbelievable season, scores about ten wins all year, and should have the title locked up, but he has a bad last race and loses it. On the other hand, you could have a guy not win any races, squeak into one of the last Chase spots, lock into the final four, and win the title without a win. If this new format ends up happening, it could cause a zero win champion in Cup.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

The Chase is already bad enough, but if this actually happens, it could ruin NASCAR completely, and I don't know if it could recover from it.

I mean, I understand wanting to improve the product to keep up with the likes of the NFL, but this is by far the worst idea Brian France has ever concocted. Just get back to the basics, get rid of the Chase, and we'll be fine, other than the fact that we need to revamp the schedule, but that's a discussion for another time.

Seriously, NASCAR, get your heads out of your collective asses. You're killing yourselves with these dumbass ideas, and it's gonna come back and bite you where the sun don't shine if you keep this up.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 am

crl wrote:So, NASCAR is going to copy the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup Playoffs format, which is garbage itself, when the PGA Tour started the FedEx Cup because of NASCAR. The universe should implode over this paradox.

Thing is, the PGA Tour really didn't have an established points system before they started the FedEx Cup. Hell, the FedEx Cup is still really nothing more than a chance for someone to take home a huge check, nothing more, though at least with the FedEx Cup, once the "playoffs" start, there is 125 golfers-that compete the first weekend, then 100, then 70, then 30. No 125 plus the extra golfers, then 100 plus the extra golfers, then 70 plus the extra golfers, then 30 plus the extra golfers.
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 am

The amount that the drivers have been "promoting" this joke of a championship format on Twitter tells me that NASCAR has already decided to do it, and is just waiting on an announcement.

Either that, or NASCAR put the rumor out themselves to see what the public reaction is, but I don't think the drivers would magically be so supportive of the new format if it was actually a test.

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RealRacer4 Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Cynon wrote:The amount that the drivers have been "promoting" this joke of a championship format on Twitter tells me that NASCAR has already decided to do it, and is just waiting on an announcement.

Either that, or NASCAR put the rumor out themselves to see what the public reaction is, but I don't think the drivers would magically be so supportive of the new format if it was actually a test.
I just thought that some of the drivers were being sarcastic about the whole thing. Razz

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:05 pm

I think the dangers of Superspeedways just increased ten-fold, For backmarkers and drivers that don't have the best car this is a 3 race chance to pull off that upset which in turns means everybody's going to take more risks.

It's going to cause one of two things...

1. We go full ARCA on wad up the field a couple times throughout the race
2. Somebody gets hurts trying to hard

Also the 4th superspeedway race of the year is a elimination race, which means the guys up front are going to try harder to make risky moves.

Nascar is forcing the racing to change through force and gimmicks rather then doing it naturally and letting it play out.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Alta wrote:I think the dangers of Superspeedways just increased ten-fold, For backmarkers and drivers that don't have the best car this is a 3 race chance to pull off that upset which in turns means everybody's going to take more risks.

Also the 4th superspeedway race of the year is a elimination race, which means the guys up front are going to try harder to make risky moves.

Nascar is forcing the racing to change through force and gimmicks rather then doing it naturally and letting it play out.

So, it really is a bad and dangerous idea.

My "tweak" over this system, if they're really going to use it. (changes in bold):

- The chase field increased is alright
- No elimination races
- Points equalization before the playoffs start (everyone starts with 2000 points, for example, no bonus for anything)
- Don't reset the points in the final race
- Only the TOP 16, don't add winners or wild cards.

Or easier, RETURN TO THE PREVIOUS SYSTEM
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:21 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:
Cynon wrote:The amount that the drivers have been "promoting" this joke of a championship format on Twitter tells me that NASCAR has already decided to do it, and is just waiting on an announcement.

I just thought that some of the drivers were being sarcastic about the whole thing. Razz

If by some, you mean Carl Edwards...

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Alta wrote:I think the dangers of Superspeedways just increased ten-fold, For backmarkers and drivers that don't have the best car this is a 3 race chance to pull off that upset which in turns means everybody's going to take more risks.

I did not think of that.

God lord, NASCAR goes through with this, and they WILL regret it. Fans turning off, and someone doing something absolutely stupid at Dega.
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar9fan Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Knowing NASCAR & stupid fines/penalties, the drivers could be saying it's good just so they don't get a ridiculous fine or penalty
Nascar9fan
Nascar9fan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:35 pm

This is absolutely astinine. Just eliminate this then the Chase and call it a day.
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 am

crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:41 am

Someone give the writer of that column a freaking medal. Could not have said it better myself.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am

I was trying to be overly sarcastic every time I mentioned eliminating drivers throughout the chase. I thought it was so clearly a bad idea that nobody would think I was being serious. Rolling Eyes 

Overall this wouldn't be a bad system if they would cut everything they plan after the chase starts and just make it "whoever wins the most chase races" wins the Cup. THAT would be fun.
Mystrsyko
Mystrsyko
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrogradeRenegade Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:25 pm

So, if I'm understanding this right, you could theoretically win the first 35 races in a row, finish 2nd at Homestead, and still lose the title. I'm now more convinced than ever NASCAR has given up on trying to actually improve the sport, and are now just trying to make the FIA look good by comparison.
RetrogradeRenegade
RetrogradeRenegade
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm

A few issues with the system:

My understanding (and this could be wrong) is that is could produce the following scenario. Some backmarker driver, that's call him David, because there are many underperforming NASCAR drivers named David, wins at Talladega. They get into the chase and finish 16th, even though they may have start and parked for most of the season.

In 2013, 17 drivers won (Kenseth, Johnson, Harvick, Busch, Kahne, Edwards, Gordon, Logano, Biffle, Newman, Keselowski, McMurry, Truex, Hamlin, Ragan, Stewart, and Vickers. Among the non-winners were Earnhardt Jr and Bowyer, both of which could concieveable contend for the title. Under this scenario, all of the race winners (except Vickers, who was lowest in the points and was a part time car anyway) would be in. In other words: Dale Earnhardt Jr, Clint Bowyer, Paul Menard, Aric Almirola, and Juan Pablo Montoya would be eliminated from the championship, but David Ragan would be in the chase.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 pm

The theme song to NASCAR!

f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:A few issues with the system:

My understanding (and this could be wrong) is that is could produce the following scenario. Some backmarker driver, that's call him David, because there are many underperforming NASCAR drivers named David, wins at Talladega. They get into the chase and finish 16th, even though they may have start and parked for most of the season.

In 2013, 17 drivers won (Kenseth, Johnson, Harvick, Busch, Kahne, Edwards, Gordon, Logano, Biffle, Newman, Keselowski, McMurry, Truex, Hamlin, Ragan, Stewart, and Vickers. Among the non-winners were Earnhardt Jr and Bowyer, both of which could concieveable contend for the title. Under this scenario, all of the race winners (except Vickers, who was lowest in the points and was a part time car anyway) would be in. In other words: Dale Earnhardt Jr, Clint Bowyer, Paul Menard, Aric Almirola, and Juan Pablo Montoya would be eliminated from the championship, but David Ragan would be in the chase.

There were only 13 winners when the Chase started though. McMurray, Keselowski, Gordon, and Hamlin all won their races during the Chase, not before. Vickers also would not have made it either way because he was not running for Cup points. All 12 remaining drivers would have gotten in though, as would Bowyer, Earnhardt Jr., Busch, and Gordon.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Bumpin since it is now official
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Alta wrote:Bumpin since it is now official

Nascar looking to overhaul Points chase Ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Last edited by PackerMan71 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Fuck NASCAR. No fucks given about it anymore from me.

I was willing to give the Chase a chance when it first came out, since there were people did whine that the end of the season really meant nothing when someone already won a championship, even moreso if someone won a championship in the most "boring" fashion like Matt Kenesth did in 2003, but with them tinkering with every little thing here and there what seems like every season, the whole Chase is a total farce now
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 pm

I've been looking all over the internet for threads and topics regarding the new Chase format.

Not surprisingly, the response from the people posting their opinions has been almost all negative.

Congratulations, NASCAR. You've succeeded in hitting a new all-time low.  No

I honestly think this might be the last season of NASCAR I might ever watch. If I decide to watch it at all after this farce of a rule change. At least IndyCar doesn't have to manufacture championship excitement.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 am

Bring on the Modifieds and Trucks. Fuck the Big 2 Divisions. The Australian GP is when? March 16? Thanks.

At least I still have Supercross before then.

Oh, and fuck Brian France's fat ass for calling this format "simpler". How is this simple? It's so convoluted, it reads like a set of instructions in Chinese.

crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 am

I'm out. NASCAR's officially no more valid to me as a sports entity than the WWE.
Cardinals5
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar9fan Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:23 am

crl wrote:Bring on the Modifieds and Trucks. Fuck the Big 2 Divisions. The Australian GP is when? March 16? Thanks.

Oh, and fuck Brian France's fat ass for calling this format "simpler". How is this simple? It's so convoluted, it reads like a set of instructions in Chinese.

Don't forget the V8's at Adelaide end of February/Start of March
Nascar9fan
Nascar9fan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:24 am

Nascar9fan wrote:
crl wrote:Bring on the Modifieds and Trucks. Fuck the Big 2 Divisions. The Australian GP is when? March 16? Thanks.

Don't forget the V8's at Adelaide end of February/Start of March
Oh, yeah. I forgot about the V8s.

crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 am

I know if you guys don't like the new Knockout Chase Format, but the way you're all reacting isn't really on. I honestly think this could spice things up a little bit for the Cup Series, it's not like they're trying to copy all other American Ball Sports, they're probably trying to make it more competitive, and so other drivers who've probably not made the chase before could maybe use this as their best opportunity.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:40 am

BWardboy88 wrote:I know if you guys don't like the new Knockout Chase Format, but the way you're all reacting isn't really on. I honestly think this could spice things up a little bit for the Cup Series, it's not like they're trying to copy all other American Ball Sports, they're probably trying to make it more competitive, and so other drivers who've probably not made the chase before could maybe use this as their best opportunity.
You are an expert at sarcasm sir lol.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 am

The saddest thing is, NASCAR decided to make this monstrosity of a Chase instead of figuring out a way to stop Kyle Busch and the other Cuppies from winning 25 races a year in Nationwide.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:12 am

Alta wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:I know if you guys don't like the new Knockout Chase Format, but the way you're all reacting isn't really on. I honestly think this could spice things up a little bit for the Cup Series, it's not like they're trying to copy all other American Ball Sports, they're probably trying to make it more competitive, and so other drivers who've probably not made the chase before could maybe use this as their best opportunity.

I wasn't though, I was actually being serious. People who whine about this new system makes the situation worse than it needs to be.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 am

flyingturns89 wrote:The saddest thing is, NASCAR decided to make this monstrosity of a Chase instead of figuring out a way to stop Kyle Busch and the other Cuppies from winning 25 races a year in Nationwide.
It's the Nationwide series, Not even the Nationwide series cares about the Nationwide Series

BWardboy88 wrote:
Alta wrote:

I wasn't though, I was actually being serious. People who whine about this new system makes the situation worse than it needs to be.
The American ball sport comment is exactly why people are so against it, It's something comparable to the NFL or the NCAA. Those are two teams up against each other on a 100 yard field rather then a 1.5 mile oval with 43 teams.

They're also taking the easy way by doing silly gimmicks rather than try to make the cars more competitive. Just because they made some crazy change to the chase doesn't mean that Texas race in the spring isn't going to be boring as batshit.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 am

Alta wrote:
flyingturns89 wrote:The saddest thing is, NASCAR decided to make this monstrosity of a Chase instead of figuring out a way to stop Kyle Busch and the other Cuppies from winning 25 races a year in Nationwide.
It's the Nationwide series, Not even the Nationwide series cares about the Nationwide Series

BWardboy88 wrote:
Alta wrote:

The American ball sport comment is exactly why people are so against it, It's something comparable to the NFL or the NCAA. Those are two teams up against each other on a 100 yard field rather then a 1.5 mile oval with 43 teams.

They're also taking the easy way by doing silly gimmicks rather than try to make the cars more competitive. Just because they made some crazy change to the chase doesn't mean that Texas race in the spring isn't going to be boring as batshit.

This. Once someone wins a race, maybe two, I guarantee you they'll coast for the most part because, hey, they are already in the Chase. Daytona might be interesting. The first few races might be interesting, but after that, I guarantee you things will get BORING because once you get a win or two, there will be no real need to win again until Chase time.

Fix the damn cars. That's what F1 did. Added the KERS and DRS, and now there are some races that we had ripped on in the past as boring snoozefests, but now have been made more interesting (China is a very good example of this. The race was once a snoozer, but now is usually capable of producing good races with the cars they had.

People might complain that a points race can get boring if someone runs away with it, but if the 36 or 20 or 25 or however many races you run are usually fun to watch, the boring points races become a minor issue, if that, because it's hidden behind fun exciting action.
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 am

BWardboy88 wrote:
Alta wrote:

I agree. I'm willing to give this a chance. Let's not make this format look like this is the beginning of the end.
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next