Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racing "Did You Know" Thread

+42
Cynon
flyingturns89
gone-sovereign
The_Wall_91
RetrogradeRenegade
Rovenami
RedViperGaming
Ceej
simonracer
PYLrulz
Lucstar88
BooyakaDragon
crl
Baxter
Backmarker
RyanB06
Ben Atkins
Syzygy
Tanrar
vbooy57
RACECAR
pennst24
Metro 6r4
RealRacer4
Mother of Invention
Jason Hamilton
GamerAzuzu
Mystrsyko
Sparkz47
Rykia
NASCARLOVER427
tommykl
BWard
SpeedDemon37
Alta
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
navycook75
Pyrozooka0
Nascar9fan
Milan655
bsoyuz
Alpineopossum
46 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Racing "Did You Know" Thread

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am

Alpineopossum wrote:
RandomClassic wrote:The Camping World Truck Series has had quite a diverse field of competitors over it's 18 year history, including 19 female drivers and 2 African-American drivers as well as an openly gay driver in Stephen Rhodes, and drivers from Mexico, Canada, Japan, Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Scotland, Chile, India, Finland and even a driver from Monaco.
Australia - Marcos Ambrose, Owen Kelly, Kenny Habul, Adam Clarke, Scott Saunders
Allan Grice, Terry Byers, Dick Johnson, and Tony Spanos have also raced in NASCAR. Grahem Grosby from New Zealand attempted the 1987 Coke 600, but DNQ.

Also I never knew Clarke raced in NASCAR, I've know him for years, yet didn't know that.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

https://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:
RandomClassic wrote:The Camping World Truck Series has had quite a diverse field of competitors over it's 18 year history, including 19 female drivers and 2 African-American drivers as well as an openly gay driver in Stephen Rhodes, and drivers from Mexico, Canada, Japan, Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Scotland, Chile, India, Finland and even a driver from Monaco.

Who's the German and who's the Monaco driver? The only modern era driver from Monaco that I can think of is Olivier Beretta. I'd assume the Chilean is Salazar.

Which reminds me... this is a compiliation of foriegn born NASCAR drivers. I didn't include all the Canadians. I admit it is weird having Dexter Stacey's name being included next to Villeneuve and Fellows. I also left out some Mexican drivers because there were many local drivers in the Mexico City races that never ran at another track.

There are some people who I didn't know ever made a NASCAR start (Goossens, Dan Clarke and possibly Beretta) and some people I've never heard of (Wilson).

Australia - Marcos Ambrose, Owen Kelly, Kenny Habul, Adam Clarke, Scott Saunders
Belgium - Marc Goossens
Brazil - Nelson Piquet Jr, Miguel Paludo, Christian Fittapaldi
Canada - Jacques Villeneuve, Ron Fellows, Dexter Stacey, Patrick Carpentier
Chile - Eliseo Salazar
Columbia - Juan Pablo Montoya
Denmark - Jan Magnuson
England - Rob Wilson, Steve Hodgson, Andy Pilgrim, Dan Clarke, John Mickeal
Finland - Kimi Räikkonen
France - Anthony Gandon
Germany - Klaus Graf, Alex Müller
India - Narain Karthikayen
Ireland - Derek Hayes
Italy - Max Papis
Japan - Hideo Fukuyama, Toshio Suzuki, Kenji Momota, Shigeaki Hattori
Mexico - German Quigora, Juan Carlos Blum, Carlos Contreras, Adrian Férnandez
Monaco - Olivier Beretta?
Pakistan - Nur Ali
Puerto Rico - Victor Gonzalez
Scotland - John Jackson, Dario Franchitti
South Africa - _______
Sweden - Mathias Elkström, Nic Jonsson, Alx Danielsson
Venezuela - Alex Popow, Alex Garcia

Which brings me to a trivia question. Who was the only South African to race in NASCAR (and also the only NASCAR driver to be born on the African continent)?
Beretta ran one race at Topeka in 1999. Not sure about the German though. As for the South African, Sarel van der Merwe drove Darrell Waltrip's car in the 1990 Watkins Glen race. He won the 1984 Daytona 24 hour race.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:02 pm

There's also Pietro Fittipaldi and Carlos Iaconelli, both brazilians. There's more two, but I don't know their names.
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Syzygy Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:23 pm

navycook75 wrote:
Alpineopossum wrote:

Who's the German and who's the Monaco driver? The only modern era driver from Monaco that I can think of is Olivier Beretta. I'd assume the Chilean is Salazar.

Which reminds me... this is a compiliation of foriegn born NASCAR drivers. I didn't include all the Canadians. I admit it is weird having Dexter Stacey's name being included next to Villeneuve and Fellows. I also left out some Mexican drivers because there were many local drivers in the Mexico City races that never ran at another track.

There are some people who I didn't know ever made a NASCAR start (Goossens, Dan Clarke and possibly Beretta) and some people I've never heard of (Wilson).

Belgium - Marc Goossens
Brazil - Nelson Piquet Jr, Miguel Paludo, Christian Fittapaldi
Canada - Jacques Villeneuve, Ron Fellows, Dexter Stacey, Patrick Carpentier
Chile - Eliseo Salazar
Columbia - Juan Pablo Montoya
Denmark - Jan Magnuson
England - Rob Wilson, Steve Hodgson, Andy Pilgrim, Dan Clarke, John Mickeal
Finland - Kimi Räikkonen
France - Anthony Gandon
Germany - Klaus Graf, Alex Müller
India - Narain Karthikayen
Ireland - Derek Hayes
Italy - Max Papis
Japan - Hideo Fukuyama, Toshio Suzuki, Kenji Momota, Shigeaki Hattori
Mexico - German Quigora, Juan Carlos Blum, Carlos Contreras, Adrian Férnandez
Monaco - Olivier Beretta?
Pakistan - Nur Ali
Puerto Rico - Victor Gonzalez
Scotland - John Jackson, Dario Franchitti
South Africa - _______
Sweden - Mathias Elkström, Nic Jonsson, Alx Danielsson
Venezuela - Alex Popow, Alex Garcia

Which brings me to a trivia question. Who was the only South African to race in NASCAR (and also the only NASCAR driver to be born on the African continent)?
Beretta ran one race at Topeka in 1999. Not sure about the German though. As for the South African, Sarel van der Merwe drove Darrell Waltrip's car in the 1990 Watkins Glen race. He won the 1984 Daytona 24 hour race.

The German driver was Alex Mueller, he ran two races in 2003 for Tom Mazzuchi and the SS Greenlight team with a best finish of 25th at Martinsville.

Also, for Mexican drivers you forgot Jorge Goeters, who did run outside of the Mexico city race.

iRacing Poles: 3
iRacing Championships: 1
I eat the weeb pizza.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Champion
Champion

https://www.youtube.com/user/BurningThund3r?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:Which brings me to a trivia question. Who was the only South African to race in NASCAR (and also the only NASCAR driver to be born on the African continent)?

Sarel van der Merwe. Best known for his exploits in rallying, Supervan subbed for Darrell Waltrip at Watkins Glen and spent a lot of time ... driving it like a rally car.

Also, I believe Australian legend Dick Johnson (try not to laugh) had a few runs in NASCAR as well.

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Cynon wrote:
Alpineopossum wrote:Which brings me to a trivia question. Who was the only South African to race in NASCAR (and also the only NASCAR driver to be born on the African continent)?

Sarel van der Merwe. Best known for his exploits in rallying, Supervan subbed for Darrell Waltrip at Watkins Glen and spent a lot of time ... driving it like a rally car.

Also, I believe Australian legend Dick Johnson (try not to laugh) had a few runs in NASCAR as well.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 am

There has been only two known races in Washington DC. One in 1922 and an ALMS race in the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium parking lot in 2002. The 2002 event was supposed to have a ten year contract, but neighbors complained about the noise. Thanks Obama.

IROC had a hiatus in 1981, 1982, and 1983 due to financial troubles. There is still hope!...I-I hope.

In the final IROC season, Wayne Taylor and Max Angelelli shared a ride. As they were Grand-Am drivers, they decided to go for the championship together like in Grand-Am. Sadly it was the only time they did that.

The 1980 USAC Champ Car season schedule originally had Talladega, Charlotte, and Road Atlanta on the schedule. They were scrapped when USAC entered into a joint sanctioning effort with CART.

NASCAR had an Open Wheel division in 1952 and 1953. the idea was to draw from the popularity of other open wheel events like the Indy 500. It never caught on and was discontinued only three races into the 1953 season.

While I mentioned a driver who won a NASCAR race and then never returned, Greg Moore came close to making a true perfect record in the 1995 Indy Lights season. He won 10 of the 12 races. His worst finish would be 5th and he led all but 2 races.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar9fan Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 am

Spannerhead29 (Nelson) wrote:
Alpineopossum wrote:
Allan Grice, Terry Byers, Dick Johnson, and Tony Spanos have also raced in NASCAR. Grahem Grosby from New Zealand attempted the 1987 Coke 600, but DNQ.

Also I never knew Clarke raced in NASCAR, I've know him for years, yet didn't know that.

Don't forget about Geoff Brabham, who made it into the 1994 Brickyard 400
Nascar9fan
Nascar9fan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:34 am

in 1981 USAC needed additional cars for its Pocono race. Their solution?

this:

Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 am

Nascar9fan wrote:
Spannerhead29 (Nelson) wrote:
Alpineopossum wrote:

Don't forget about Geoff Brabham, who made it into the 1994 Brickyard 400
Ah I forgot to look at that race.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 pm

navycook75 wrote:There has been only two known races in Washington DC. One in 1922 and an ALMS race in the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium parking lot in 2002. The 2002 event was supposed to have a ten year contract, but neighbors complained about the noise. Thanks Obama.

Please tell me your joking. Obama wasn't even president at the time.
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 pm

RACECAR wrote:
navycook75 wrote:There has been only two known races in Washington DC. One in 1922 and an ALMS race in the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium parking lot in 2002. The 2002 event was supposed to have a ten year contract, but neighbors complained about the noise. Thanks Obama.

Please tell me your joking. Obama wasn't even president at the time.

It should be obvious he wasn't being serious Razz

Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Until a couple of years ago, it was illegal in Las Vegas to bet on NASCAR races. I don't remember the exact year, but I think it was either 2010 or 2011 that it was made legal.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:02 am

Up until this year, the last time there was any type of Russian Grand Prix was 1914.

Out of the four countries (Spain, France, Germany, and Switzerland) that banned racing after the 1955 LeMans disaster, Switzerland is the only one who still holds the ban. Even though the ban was overturned, it was eventually shot back down, and unfortunately for good.

In the 1950 24 hours of Lemans, winner Louis Rosier stayed in the car for 23 hours 15 minutes 17 seconds. His son and relief driver Jean-Lois Rosier only drove two laps.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 am

Another note on the Swiss motorsport ban is that only circuit racing is banned. Hillclimb and rally racing are still legal despite the increased dangers to spectators in this sport.

Switzerland had their own Formula 3 championship, of which rounds took place in France, Germany and Swiss hillclimb circuits.
Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Some drivers who used a fake name while racing include
- Albert Goldenburg = François Cevert (although François was his real middle name)
- Jyrki Järvilehto = J.J. Letho
- John Crichton-Stuart = Johnny Dumfries
- Pierre Boullion = Pierre Levegh
- Giancomo Russo = "Geki"
- William C. Frederick Grover = "W Williams" (First Monaco Grand Prix winner)

Ralph is the real first name of both Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Both go by their middle names.

Great Britain has produced the most Formula 1 drivers (159).

F1 drivers have come from 38 Countries, nine of these have only been represented by one driver.
Chile = Eliseo Salazar
The Czech Republic = Tomàs Enge
Hungary = Zswolt Baumgartner
Liechetenstein = Rikky von Opel
Malaysia = Alex Yoong
Israel = Chandoch Nissany (although he never ran a race)
Poland = Robert Kubica
Russia = Vitaly Petrov (though this will change in 2014)
Thailand = B. Bira
There are some surprising numbers on the list: Four Uruguans, three Monaco natives and Five Rhodesians have competed.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:Some drivers who used a fake name while racing include
- Albert Goldenburg = François Cevert (although François was his real middle name)

Another one is NASCAR driver George Tet, whose real name was Tetsuo Fuchigami. He was the first Japanese driver to run in NASCAR, running a total of three races in 1960 and 1961.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm

flyingturns89 wrote:
Alpineopossum wrote:Some drivers who used a fake name while racing include

Another one is NASCAR driver George Tet, whose real name was Tetsuo Fuchigami. He was the first Japanese driver to run in NASCAR, running a total of three races in 1960 and 1961.
One of the Rolex 24 winners in 1991 had the name "John Winter" but his real name was Louis Krages.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Cynon wrote:

Indeed, he did.

Laughing

Also, Kimi Raikkonen said some interesting things over the radio in his NASCAR debut:
-"I don't understand how this car can be so hot. My ass is even burning in here!"
-"We're so fucking shit, it's unbelievable."
-"Did you see how fucking bad it is? I cannot even turn the car into the corner."
-"The car is just so fucking bad."
-"The car is shit because I cannot get it turned! It is so frustrating! I cannot get the fucking car turned!"
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Cynon wrote:

Is this van der Merwe in anyway related to ex-British F3 champion Alan van der Merwe?
Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Cynon wrote:

This is only partially true. While van der Merwe ran in the Cup Series, he is not the only South African to run a NASCAR sanctioned race. Wayne Taylor ran Grand-Am races from 2009 to 2011, which is when Grand-Am was under NASCAR's control.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:

Officially his name is actually Sir John Colum Crichton-Stuart, 7th Marquess of the County of Bute, 13th Baronet Stuart of Bute, 9th Baron Mount Stuart of Wortley, co. York, 7th Baron Cardiff of Cardiff Castle, 12th Lord of Sanquhar, 7th Earl of Windsor, 12th Viscount of Air, 12th Viscount Air, 12th Earl of Dumfries, 10th Earl of Bute, 19th Lord Crichton of Sanquhar, 12th Lord Crichton of Sanquhar and Cumnock, 10th Lord Mountstuart, Cumra and Inchmarnock, 10th Viscount Kingarth, 7th Viscount Mountjoy of the Isle of Wight.

Laughing 
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 am

According to Racing-Reference, Dave Marcis is the only driver to fail to qualify for at least 100 Sprint Cup races. Marcis does not have the lead in DNQ's in the big three NASCAR series combined though. That title belongs to Morgan Shepherd, who has a total of 175 DNQ's. The leader in the lower two divisions are Shepherd in the Nationwide Series at 83, and Wayne Anderson in the Trucks at 32.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 am

Speaking of DNQs, the reason why the provisional system came to be was because Richard Petty failed to qualify for the 1989 Pontiac Excitement 400. Petty would fail to qualify for 3 more races that season, and those would be the final four times he would fail to qualify in his career.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 am

In 2007, to thank a loyal employee, Ed Rensi, owner of the now defunct Rensi Motorsports team in the Nationwide Series, allowed Richard Johns, one of the team's engineers, to drive the team's #25 car when David Gilliland was unable to due to his Cup schedule. Johns actually had decent runs, scoring a 15th at IRP and a 19th at Milwaukee in two of his 15 races that season.

In 1990, Derrike Cope, a relatively unknown driver from Spanaway, Washington, pulled off the underdog victory of the year when he won the Daytona 500 after passing a slowing Dale Earnhardt on the final lap. However, his friends and family back home didn't get to watch live. That's because the area's local CBS affiliate, KIRO, made the decision to pre-empt to show a Seattle SuperSonics game. As a result, the race didn't come on TV until 3pm PT, well after the race had ended.

I'm sure everyone has seen a TV show where a NASCAR driver has appeared as a guest star. Whether it be a short appearance, or they're in the entire episode, they show up every once in a while. But where did this all come from? Well, the earliest I was able to find was 1979 for scripted television, when then defending NASCAR champion Cale Yarborough showed up on The Dukes of Hazzard. As for unscripted television, that might be AJ Foyt and Ray Harroun showing up on the game show I've Got A Secret. The episode was taped right after Foyt won the 1961 Indy 500, so they got both he and Harroun, the first Indy 500 winner, to come on an episode of the show.

Last edited by flyingturns89 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added other facts.)
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Chrysler had originally wanted to return to Stock car racing in 1989/90 with the LeBaron, the car was rejected for, having. Chrysler then sold it's only Stock Car worthy LeBaron to Detroit area racer Jerry Churchill, who ran the car for two years. Eventually a few other teams got there hands on the LeBaron including Bob Keselowski, Roy Payne, and Charlie Newby.

here's the source : http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?p=555307#555307

Around this time Chevy also wanted to put the Beretta in NASCR but it too got rejected. It found its way to Jim Coyle and the famous Riverside Auto Parts team with driver Lee Raymond. Chevy eventually put the Beretta in Trans-am

Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:39 pm

In that vein, I present the 1996 NASCAR Lincoln Mark VIII prototype:
Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 3 Nascar_mark_VIII
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Craig Lowndes won the 1999 V8 Supercar Championship, despite missing a round due to a broken leg he received from his crash at Calder Park.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:48 pm

- Before the start of some road/street course races, manholes have to be welded down to keep them from being sucked out of the street by the downforce of the cars.

- In the 1962 Daytona Continental, leader Dan Gurney experienced an engine failure with minutes remaining. The rules stated that you had to cross the line at the end of the 3-hour race distance to be scored, so Gurney coasted into the tri-oval and parked the car at the top of the banking just before the finish line. At the end of the 3 hours, he turned the car left and rolled down the banking and across the line to win the race.

- K-Automotive (Bob Keselowski's team) could only afford to field one entry in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 2005. Bob determined which of his sons (Brad or Brian) would get the ride with a coin toss. Obviously, Brad won.

- Alan Kulwicki kept a comb in a glove box that were installed in his race cars, and would never climb out of his car without combing his hair.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
- In the 1962 Daytona Continental, leader Dan Gurney experienced an engine failure with minutes remaining. The rules stated that you had to cross the line at the end of the 3-hour race distance to be scored, so Gurney coasted into the tri-oval and parked the car at the top of the banking just before the finish line. At the end of the 3 hours, he turned the car left and rolled down the banking and across the line to win the race.
After that the rules were changed to say that you has to cross the line under your own power to be scored.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:31 pm

navycook75 wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:
After that the rules were changed to say that you has to cross the line under your own power to be scored.
Correct. There were also many instances before that race in which drivers with damaged/broken cars parked in the pits (or on the side of the track) for hours at a time to rejoin the race at the very end, though nobody had ever done that to take the victory before.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:38 pm

In the 2005 F3000 Pro Series (later to become International Formula Masters), Norbert Siedler and Max Busnelli tied on 49 points each. They could not be separated on race finishes either, with the two of them both recording two wins, three 2nds, one 4th and two retirements each. As they could not be separated, it was decided that the title would be shared between them, i.e. there were two champions.
Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Did you know that the Leroy Brittain from the original NASCAR Racing was a real person? I think he was a marketing official with Citgo and was directly involved with the Citgo's Sponsorship of the Wood Brothers.
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Mother of Invention wrote:Did you know that the Leroy Brittain from the original NASCAR Racing was a real person? I think he was a marketing official with Citgo and was directly involved with the Citgo's Sponsorship of the Wood Brothers.
Wasn't it because they weren't able to license Morgan Shepard?

I also think they did it to another car in the game but I can't remember.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:01 pm

navycook75 wrote:
Mother of Invention wrote:Did you know that the Leroy Brittain from the original NASCAR Racing was a real person? I think he was a marketing official with Citgo and was directly involved with the Citgo's Sponsorship of the Wood Brothers.
Wasn't it because they weren't able to license Morgan Shepard?

I also think they did it to another car in the game but I can't remember.

Yeah I figured, but I was surprised to find out he was a real person involved with NASCAR (I think it was mentioned on some race telecast I saw). I always thought he was a made up driver.

I remember Jimmy Spencer was in his BGN Car rather then his #27 Cup Car.

Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 am

Milan655 wrote:In the 2005 F3000 Pro Series (later to become International Formula Masters), Norbert Siedler and Max Busnelli tied on 49 points each. They could not be separated on race finishes either, with the two of them both recording two wins, three 2nds, one 4th and two retirements each. As they could not be separated, it was decided that the title would be shared between them, i.e. there were two champions.
One of the more notable is the inaugural season of the IRL, where Buzz Caulkins and Scott Sharp are considered co-champions.

1938 Indianapolis winner Floyd Roberts won in a car numbered 23 from the pole. The next year his car number was numbered 1. He started and finished 23rd. Sadly he would also die during this race.

This years Indy 500 will be the first time a Former Formula 1, NASCAR, Indycar, and CART champion will start, assuming they all qualify. (Villeneuve, Kurt Busch, multiple drivers, and Bourdais, Montoya, Villeneuve respectively)

the first ever American automobile race wasn't exactly the fastest one. Winner Charles Duryea's average speed was only 7 miles per hour. It also took seven hours and fifty three minutes to complete the 54 mile race. It is said that some people actually followed the race on foot.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 pm

navycook75 wrote:
This years Indy 500 will be the first time a Former Formula 1, NASCAR, Indycar, and CART champion will start, assuming they all qualify. (Villeneuve, Kurt Busch, multiple drivers, and Bourdais, Montoya, Villeneuve respectively

in 1966, 1967,1971 and 1972 The Indianapolis 500 had former F1,NASCAR, USAC and Champcar champions. (Mario Andretti counted towards 2 to 3 of them  Laughing )
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Backmarker Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Alan Kulwicki was the first Winston Cup champion with a college degree; specifically, in mechanical engineering. There are currently two active NASCAR drivers with degrees: Ryan Newman (engineering) and Paulie Harraka (markets and management).
Backmarker
Backmarker
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 pm

NeverNeutral wrote:Alan Kulwicki was the first Winston Cup champion with a college degree; specifically, in mechanical engineering. There are currently two active NASCAR drivers with degrees: Ryan Newman (engineering) and Paulie Harraka (markets and management).
He was also the first to carry a cell phone.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealRacer4 Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:10 pm

NeverNeutral wrote:Alan Kulwicki was the first Winston Cup champion with a college degree; specifically, in mechanical engineering. There are currently two active NASCAR drivers with degrees: Ryan Newman (engineering) and Paulie Harraka (markets and management).

Out of curiosity, were there any NASCAR drivers or any other racing driver from another series that had a degree related to engineering?

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Doesn't Erin Crocker have an engineering degree? I know she went to RPI...
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Baxter Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Unrelated, but J.J. Yeley's real name is Christopher Beltram Hernandez Yeley
Denny Hamlin's real name is James Dennis Alan Hamlin, Jr.
Brad Keselowski's real name is Bradley Aaron Keselowski
Tony Stewart- Anthony Wayne Stewart
Jamie McMurray- James McMurray
Terry Labonte- Terrance Lee Labonte
Baxter
Baxter
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

Post by tommykl Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:48 am

RealRacer4 wrote:

Out of curiosity, were there any NASCAR drivers or any other racing driver from another series that had a degree related to engineering?
Not sure if he has a degree, but Nico Rosberg definitely studied aerodynamics, at Imperial College London I believe.
tommykl
tommykl
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:03 am

Kevin Conway also has a Marketing degree too. That's probably why he's been able to hold a racing career so long.  Laughing
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:22 am

According to Racing-Reference, Wayne Peterson has never had a top 20 finish in ARCA in his career. This includes races at Elko Speedway and Winchester Speedway last year, which both saw fields of less than 25 cars.

All is not lost for Wayne Peterson's career though. He has still somehow managed a top 10 finish in a NASCAR-sanctioned exhibition race for the drivers who missed the field at Daytona in 1984.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Fri May 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Fun fact about the Indy Lights race. Chase Austin became the first person in Indy Lights to use the number zero.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 am

Jacques Villeneuve has a uncle with the same name who raced in CART before him and won Road America in 1985 and a pole at Phoenix in 1984.

Talk about confusing.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:

Oriol Servia holds a degree in mechanical engineering from the Catalonia Polytechnic.
Lelani Münter got a degree in biology (I don't know where)
Bill Lester holds a fairly prestigous bachelors in electrical engineering from UCal Berkley. He was an engineer for Hewlett Packard for many years (and may still work for them in some form. I believe he did freelance work while he was pursuing his racing career).
Brett Bodine has an engineering degree from the University of New York.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:48 pm

This week's Truck Series entry list has only 27 trucks on it. If no more entries show up, it will be the smallest field since the series first season in 1995. Six races in 1995 had 26 trucks or less. Since then, every race in the Truck Series has had no fewer than 28 trucks.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Indy 500 winner Ryan Hunter-Reay almost became a Hendrick Motorsports development driver in 2006.

Source: http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/10984486/indycar-ryan-hunter-reay-stayed-true-dream-indianapolis-500
pennst24
pennst24
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next