Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by kensethfan on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Pardon my stupidity here, but why was Boris Said mad with Greg Biffle again? Was it because of that last lap crash or was it because of something else?

And Duff, I agree with you when you say that the last lap wreck was Ragan's fault, but why would Kenseth run? At Bristol '06, he at least had the guts to stand in front Jeff Gordon instead of running, and try to get his word to him.

If someone is going to mention Daytona on that matter, I think it's quite obvious that if Kenseth was to move over and pass Ragan, he would've thrown himself and Ragan out of contention because they would've almost immediately have been pounced on by the Joe Gibbs cars behind them.
avatar
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 1016
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by day500champ1 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:38 pm

kensethfan wrote:Pardon my stupidity here, but why was Boris Said mad with Greg Biffle again? Was it because of that last lap crash or was it because of something else?

And Duff, I agree with you when you say that the last lap wreck was Ragan's fault, but why would Kenseth run? At Bristol '06, he at least had the guts to stand in front Jeff Gordon instead of running, and try to get his word to him.

If someone is going to mention Daytona on that matter, I think it's quite obvious that if Kenseth was to move over and pass Ragan, he would've thrown himself and Ragan out of contention because they would've almost immediately have been pounced on by the Joe Gibbs cars behind them.

Biffle had an incident with Said last year in the same race and wasn't happy with the way Boris was racing him this year. The wreck was just another reason for Biffle to get upset with him.

This is the one thing I agree with you on. If Kenseth pulls out at the end of Daytona, he and Ragan lose the 1-2 finish and on top of that there was no way he was going to get around David anyway. This is why I have to laugh was everyone says Kenseth chickened out. He didn't; he did what was best for him. If he had a better run or help behind him and didn't make the move than I would say he chickened out. But in this case, he didn't. But, then again it doesn't matter what I say. No one is going to change their opinion.
avatar
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2311
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 26
Location : Warren, Michigan

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by F1V1 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Said is mad at Biffle because Biffle was racing him like a tool when he was multiple laps down and Boris was on the lead lap. And then after the race Biffle was mad about the last lap crash and went up and started throwing shots at Said's window net before he even got out of the car, and then when Boris got out Biffle ran behind his crew and continued to throw insults and fly the middle finger as he was running. I won't go into detail about my Kenseth comment because there's drivers much more chicken than he is (Kyle Busch for example), but he's proved more than once over the years that he's no exception.

Anyway, I'm so happy for Marcos. He was a favorite of mine back in his V8 Supercar days and it's really cool seeing him get his first Nextel Cup win lol.
avatar
F1V1
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Posts : 344
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 25
Location : Exploring the space-time continuum.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by kensethfan on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm looking at some of the comments on YouTube right now, and I can't believe some people are siding with Greg Biffle. So many of the things that Greg Biffle said could be contradicted.

-Biffle said Boris caused one of the biggest wrecks of the season. I think it's quite obvious Ragan caused the accident all by himself.

-Boris doesn't need to run the full season to compete with these guys by any stretch. He's won the Rolex 24 twice, the 12 Hours of Sebring once, and he's won the 24 Hours of Nurburgring (I'd definitely feel accomplished if I'd won this, I wouldn't be able to sit through 24 hours of the longest race course in the world). Not to mention two course wins in NASCAR overall compared to the zero that Biffle has. To add to that, if Boris said Greg was racing him like a douche, I think he, being the more experienced driver, has the right to run him off the road.

-I think Boris has a ton of respect, that's the only time I know of that he's gone at it with anyone.

I think I've made my point, especially with that second bullet.
avatar
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 1016
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by Rykia on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Note that Biffle also flipped Said off.
avatar
Rykia
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2548
Join date : 2011-08-09
Age : 20
Location : Cornfields.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by Nextelracer on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14 am

After doing some thinking of my own, I think it was a horrible idea to pave most of the track. Sure, when cars spin, they usually get off spot free and go on their dandy merry way, but what happens if someone's throttle hangs going into turn 1? That asphalt is going to do absolutely NOTHING to slow the car down. In my opinion, they need to re-add gravel traps to some places; About two feet off the curb in turn 1, about two feet off the white line in the carousel, and about two feet off the curb in turn 9. That way, it will solve the problem of people going banzai over the curbs and possibly causing wrecks like what we saw Sunday, as well as proving some safety in case someone's brakes do fail or their throttle hangs.

Just to show what I think they should do, here's a few pictures:


Turn 1: Pretty self-explanatory here. There is still room for a small correctable error as well as an escape lane around the outside of the gravel, but the gravel significantly cuts the runoff that is able to be used; This would reduce the chance of a wreck like Ragan/Reutimann's because cars would not come near as close to the outside wall on a regular basis, and speeds would likely drop going up hill by a small margin due to the drivers having to slow down more for the turn and take it as intended.


Carousel: I don't think this area should have ever been paved at all, but I know some of the bleeding hearts would object to a full gravel trap, so I left a little room for error.


Turn 9: Once again, I think it was a terrible idea to pave this section. Since this is a very high speed section of the track with hard braking, there is a great deal of chance for brake failure here. As with turn 1, there is still room for a small error along with an escape lane around the outside of the gravel, but the runoff that is able to be used as a racing line is cut significantly, forcing the drivers to actually use the track as intended (what?).
avatar
Nextelracer
Development Driver
Development Driver

Posts : 116
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 25
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by Chives2112 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:37 pm

The carousel I think is where the most gravel needs to be, because of the J.D. McDuffie crash and the Tommy Kendall (?) crash in the '90s
avatar
Chives2112
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1972
Join date : 2011-08-06
Location : Texas

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Chives5150?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by crl on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Chives2112 wrote:The carousel I think is where the most gravel needs to be, because of the J.D. McDuffie crash and the Tommy Kendall (?) crash in the '90s

The Inner Loop was what they installed to slow the cars down going into the Carousel after those crashes.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by PYLrulz on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Nextel, I remember there being gravel when Jimmie Johnson had his crash in the Busch series, and that didn't seem to do a whole hell of a lot.
avatar
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 33
Location : Mountville, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by day500champ1 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:06 pm

PYLrulz wrote:Nextel, I remember there being gravel when Jimmie Johnson had his crash in the Busch series, and that didn't seem to do a whole hell of a lot.

Johnson didn't even have a chance to hit the gravel. When the car hit the end of the paved corner, it flew over the gravel. Making the gravel trap useless.

That's the only issue I see with putting a gravel trap in turn 1, if a car is going fast enough it could miss the trap all together.
avatar
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2311
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 26
Location : Warren, Michigan

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by PYLrulz on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:35 pm

day500champ1 wrote:
PYLrulz wrote:Nextel, I remember there being gravel when Jimmie Johnson had his crash in the Busch series, and that didn't seem to do a whole hell of a lot.

Johnson didn't even have a chance to hit the gravel. When the car hit the end of the paved corner, it flew over the gravel. Making the gravel trap useless.

That's the only issue I see with putting a gravel trap in turn 1, if a car is going fast enough it could miss the trap all together.

Even if that is the case, gravel traps going off of fast straights won't do a whole lot, and sometimes are more trouble than it's worth. A gravel trap going into the carousell makes sense, and would of helped Kurt Busch, but a gravel trap I don't think would of helped Denny Hamlin a lot.
avatar
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 33
Location : Mountville, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by kensethfan on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Chives2112 wrote:The carousel I think is where the most gravel needs to be, because of the J.D. McDuffie crash and the Tommy Kendall (?) crash in the '90s

Exactly what I was thinking. Back when J.D. McDuffie's crash happened, there was nothing over there outside the Carousel but grass, and then the tire barrier. While J.D.'s tire coming off may not have been able to be avoided with six laps in, a gravel trap there could have prevented his car from digging into the ground, and it also could have lessened the impact when J.D. hit the tire wall.

Speaking of J.D., this race weekend was the 20th anniversery of his death. R.I.P., J.D..
avatar
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 1016
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by Alta on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:43 pm

kensethfan wrote:
Chives2112 wrote:The carousel I think is where the most gravel needs to be, because of the J.D. McDuffie crash and the Tommy Kendall (?) crash in the '90s

Exactly what I was thinking. Back when J.D. McDuffie's crash happened, there was nothing over there outside the Carousel but grass, and then the tire barrier. While J.D.'s tire coming off may not have been able to be avoided with six laps in, a gravel trap there could have prevented his car from digging into the ground, and it also could have lessened the impact when J.D. hit the tire wall.

Speaking of J.D., this race weekend was the 20th anniversery of his death. R.I.P., J.D..
In JD's case it probably wouldn't of mattered as this was the time before the bus stop.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3976
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen - Sprint Cup Series

Post by Nextelracer on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:44 pm

PYLrulz wrote:Nextel, I remember there being gravel when Jimmie Johnson had his crash in the Busch series, and that didn't seem to do a whole hell of a lot.

What would asphalt have done for Jimmie in that case? If nothing else, then go for the Paul Ricard approach and install both gravel and a "red zone" that WILL slow down an out of control car, one way or another.

day500champ1 wrote:That's the only issue I see with putting a gravel trap in turn 1, if a car is going fast enough it could miss the trap all together.

Not much anyone can do about that.
avatar
Nextelracer
Development Driver
Development Driver

Posts : 116
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 25
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum