Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really Knaus?

+6
day500champ1
racingfreak1999
JMac525
Sparkz47
Alta
AntmanB
10 posters

Go down

Really Knaus? Empty Really Knaus?

Post by AntmanB Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Knaus told Johnson to wreck car if he won at Talladega: Chad Knaus told driver Jimmie Johnson to intentionally damage the back end of his race car if the #48 team won Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, the crew chief acknowledged Wednesday. Knaus admitted giving the five-time NASCAR champion the pre-race instructions in order to "cover our bases" in case 500 miles of bump-drafting knocked the car beyond NASCAR's strict tolerances. Officials likely would have accepted the damage as an excuse if the # 48 car had not fit NASCAR's templates in post-race inspection. The conversation between Knaus and Johnson occurred when the crew chief leaned inside the #48 car before the race to give Johnson some final words of encouragement. Because Johnson's in-car camera was live on NASCAR.com's RaceBuddy application, the chat was broadcast to anyone watching the feed at the time.
"If we win this race, you have to crack the back of the car," Knaus could be heard telling Johnson on the recording. "Got it?"
"Really?" Johnson replied, sounding surprised.
"Yes," Knaus said. "Got it? You don't have to have to hit it hard, you don't have to destroy it. But you've gotta do a donut and you've gotta hit the back end, or somebody's gotta hit you in the ass-end or something. OK?"
After Johnson responds with apparent silence (he can't be heard saying anything else), Knaus added, "You'll be alright. Can't take any chances."
When asked Wednesday whether the conversation indicated Knaus was trying something fishy on the back of the car, the crew chief replied, "I don't think that's a fair assessment. To be honest with you, here's the deal - racing at Talladega is tough, and I think everybody understands that," Knaus said in a phone interview. "You run 500 miles at 200 miles per hour, and you're bump-drafting and you're beating on one another, and it's real easy for these cars to get outside of tolerance. It's a tight tolerance that we're held in. It doesn't take much to be a few thousands (of an inch) off and have NASCAR raise an eyebrow. Just being proactive, I just told Jimmie, 'Look, man - we've just got to make sure there's a tire mark or some type of visible damage.' Just because cars do move when you race them like that."(SB Nation)(10-26-2001)

UPDATE: NASCAR has issued penalties to the #00, #47 and #56 teams that compete in the Sprint Cup Series as a result of rule infractions discovered during opening day inspection Oct. 21 at Talladega Superspeedway. All three cars were found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-J (any determination by NASCAR officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the rule book, or has not been approved by NASCAR prior to the event); and 20-3.2.1A (unapproved modification to an approved windshield) of the 2011 NASCAR rule book. Crew chiefs Rodney Childers (#00), Frank Kerr (#47) and Chad Johnston (#56) have each been fined $50,000 and have been suspended from the next four Sprint Cup Series championship events and suspended from NASCAR until Nov. 23. Car chiefs Steve Channing (#00), Raymond Fox (#47) and Anthony Lunders (#56) have likewise been suspended from the next four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship events and suspended from NASCAR until Nov. 23. Additionally, Bobby Kennedy, director of competition for Michael Waltrip Racing, has been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31. Car owners Rob Kauffman (#00), Tad Geschickter (#47), and Michael Waltrip (#56) have each been penalized with the loss of 25 championship owner points. Drivers David Reutimann (#00), Bobby Labonte (#47), and Martin Truex Jr. (#56) have each been penalized with the loss of 25 championship driver points.(NASCAR)(10-25-2011)

AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Really Knaus? Empty Re: Really Knaus?

Post by Alta Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Jimmie and Co cheating, This is my surprised face. :/
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:27 pm

This doesn't really shock me at all, honestly. What does shock me is that Knaus would be stupid enough to explain it to Johnson RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. I mean, seriously, this is the kind of stuff you'd find in cartoons.
Sparkz47
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by JMac525 Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:30 pm

What number time is this they have caught Knaus cheating? This is by far the stupidest case yet.
JMac525
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by racingfreak1999 Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Not surprised in the slightest.
racingfreak1999
racingfreak1999
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by day500champ1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:51 pm

day500champ1
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm not defending Knaus, but he's saying that they couldn't avoid a penalty a la Clint Bowyer at Loudon last year. That's probably just a cover, though.

On the other hand, Michael Waltrip and MWR need to GTFO. Now.
pennst24
pennst24
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykia Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

My reaction to this. Laughing

Rykia
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 am

Why is he worried he'd get a penalty? It's the 48 team...

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pepsibottle1 Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:00 am

Not suprised, I was expecting Knaus to get caught doing something ignorant like this. Great job Chad, now you've taken your driver out of the chase AND made a mockery of yourself at the same time. *claps*

LAWL @ MWR. If that's what they have to do in order to keep up then they need to GTFO. I don't think I have to go into further details about Mikey, he needs to just hang it up and go away. He's like Brett Favre, but unlike Waltrip, Favre was actually GOOD at one point in his career.
pepsibottle1
pepsibottle1
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down