Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would make NASCAR better?

+16
PackerMan71
Backmarker
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
navycook75
f1fan12
Nascar9fan
Pyrozooka0
RealRacer4
Alta
PYLrulz
pennst24
Cardinals5
BWard
bsoyuz
Alpineopossum
Baxter
20 posters

Go down

What would make NASCAR better? Empty What would make NASCAR better?

Post by Baxter Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:20 am

Here you can post what you think would improve NASCAR.

My opinions-

No Cup regulars in Nationwide or Trucks!!!!!!!!!
Add a road course to the chase, possibly Road America.
Add some international races such as Canada or Mexico

I'll try to think of more.
Baxter
Baxter
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

What would make NASCAR better? Empty Re: What would make NASCAR better?

Post by Alpineopossum Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Realistic New Schedule
1. Daytona
2. Phoenix
3. Las Vegas
4. Bristol
5. California
6. Road Atlanta
7. Texas
8. Darlington
9. Richmond
10. Mid Ohio
11. Kansas
12. Charlotte
13. Iowa
14. Pocono
15. Michigan
16. Sonoma
17. Kentucky
==Chase==
18. Atlanta
19. Montrèal
20. Indianapolis
21. Watkins Glen
22. Chicago
23. New Hampshire
24. Dover
25. Road America
26. Talladega
27. Martinsville
28. Homestead-Miami

- More Road Courses
- Iowa on the Cup Schedule
- One Race per track per year (exceptions could be made for Daytona, Bristol, Talladega, Charlotte and other traditional events)
- More loose regulations on chassis setups
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Limitations on Cup regulars in Truck and National Series (not Nationwide anymore)
MORE ROAD COURSES!!!!!!
A world tour
Smaller calendar
Racing in weekdays
More International Series (thre are various brazilians that tried the in NASCAR, Giulianno Losacco, in his two starts he nailed two top fives and Pietro Fittipaldi, the first latin-american to win a title.)
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Just add more Road Courses to replace boring Races held on Cookie-Cutter tracks.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:16 pm

WARNING: SLIGHT RANT/ESSAY BELOW

The cars are still too aero-dependent. On smaller tracks, it really isn't that noticeable because the cars aren't going fast enough to have aerodynamic benefits (drag is linearly dependent on weight and quadratically dependent on speed, so going slower means weight plays a bigger role. On bigger tracks (hello, Daytona) it's pretty obvious.

Aerodynamic cars are a good thing, to a point. When the slightest disturbance in the air means that the car is impossible to drive, you've gone beyond that point. The cars need to be lighter and less aerodynamic, so they have speed and the ability to pass each other. Right now, they just have speed.

Also, the tires need to degrade. The cars should be harder to control as the tires wear down. Right now they're just...sort of slower. Drivers can still take the same line at the end of a run as they did at the beginning, just a little bit slower. Obviously, going to the other extreme is worse, because that causes crashes, but there's a balance that needs to be found.

TV partners need to care about the product beyond the dollar signs it can bring in. Part of the problem with the past few seasons is we've been inundated with terrible gimmicks that just make the sport look like it's trying to be trendy. NASCAR has an atmosphere of respecting tradition, and that's what it should do. Not to mention, the in-race coverage is typically pretty terrible. It's almost guaranteed that at least one member of every broadcast crew should not be broadcasting, and the people in charge of the coverage are often more concerned about showing the "fan favorites" (Danica, Junior, Gordon) and the "drama" than the actual product on the track. That's one of the good things about the NBC Sports deal; I feel like they really care about motorsports much more than FOX does. I don't think NASCAR needs its own channel, BUT if they were to do it, I could definitely understand why.

Along with this, drivers need to stop being spokesmen. I'm tired of hearing the first words out of the driver's mouth be the sponsor and the manufacturer of the car. Thank them at the end of the interview, like Dale Earnhardt does, below.

NASCAR needs to embrace technology. V8 engines are not prominent in the average car anymore. They're reserved for luxury cars, trucks and sports cars (primarily, there of course are exceptions). Most consumers are driving L4 or V6 engines, many of which are turbocharged for additional power without sacrificing fuel efficiency. Additionally, a larger number of cars are being offered in diesel variants. These are things NASCAR should definitely look at, especially if they want to recapture the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mantra. I'm not saying they have to go to a turbocharged V6 as a mandatory configuration, but they should allow teams to use it if they want.

NASCAR also needs to embrace the international market, both for tracks and for manufacturers. The inclusion of a major overseas automaker, be it Volkswagen, FIAT (whether through Dodge or through FIAT/Alfa Romeo), Honda or someone else would give NASCAR not only more international appeal, but more appeal at home, where foreign cars are just as popular as domestic ones. And "car guys" would LOVE to brag that "their" car just won the Daytona 500. Additionally, opening up the Sprint Cup schedule, AT LEAST to Canada and Mexico (two countries which already have NASCAR Touring Series) would allow the series to drop some second dates from tracks that shouldn't have them. If the series were to go to Europe, there are several good European ovals and road courses (particularly in Germany and the UK) where NASCAR would likely do well.

Adding more road courses is a must. Unfortunately, that means either: ISC has to buy/build more road courses, SMI has to buy/build more road courses and get them on the schedule, or a third-party road course has to get on the schedule (likely sacrificing an off-weekend or an ISC/SMI date). I don't know how likely any of these things are to happen. For instance, I doubt we'll see NASCAR at Circuit of the Americas because there are already two race dates in Texas, and for SMI to give one up to a third-party owner would mean admitting the Ferko lawsuit was a bad thing. Laguna Seca likely won't happen because there are three dates in California, and SMI won't give up Sonoma's date for Laguna Seca. The best bet would be going to a state that doesn't have a NASCAR date, so where do you go?

Spoiler:

To my best guess, if I had to pick the five most likely road courses NASCAR would add (from that list, anyway), I'd guess:

1. Road America
  2. Portland International Raceway
  3. NOLA Motorsports Park
  4. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
  5. Brainerd Raceway

Finally, the field needs to be capped and/or cost-cutting measures need to be implemented. Start-and-park teams don't do much but add to the illusion of a full-field. Capping the field below this number (or, penalizing teams who start-and-park) would go a long way. They also need to implement cost-cutting measures to make it more affordable for teams to run, more affordable to sign talented drivers who don't have a major sponsor pushing them, and to make it affordable for drivers to drive their own cars if they have the desire to do so. Realistically, they should limit teams to three drivers per team, but four is fine for now.

[/rant]
Cardinals5
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Axe the Chase

Create some kind of incentive for Cup teams to hire non-Cuppies in the lower series

Shorten the Cup schedule to 30 races (I'm always tired of NASCAR with about 6 weeks left no matter if the title battle is interesting or not), take away some dates from tracks that have two races.

Tap into the international market, maybe not with the Cup Series but with individual regional series (NASCAR said they're looking at creating new regional series in Brazil/South America and Russia).
pennst24
pennst24
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Simply, go back to what you had in the late 90's-early 00's, and go from there
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Don't take it seriously and make fun of Brennan Newberry.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealRacer4 Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:56 pm

PYLrulz wrote:Simply, go back to what you had in the late 90's-early 00's, and go from there

This. I also like what F1 is doing next year, which is putting a salary cap on all of the teams. Just because every little thing is within specifications doesn't mean the racing will be better. It's the fact that the top teams have better/more equipment and have more money to throw around is what makes it tough on the smaller budget teams to be competitive.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrozooka0 Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Ban Jimmie Johnson and/or Chad Kanaus (spelling?). Preferably both
More Road Courses (Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, and Laguna Seca would be a good start.)
NO MORE MICHIGAN! That track sucks so much.
Readd Rockingham to cup schedule
Add Iowa to cup schedule
3 words: ELDORA. CUP. RACE. (would anyone else love it if this happened?)
Bring back the 2 car tandem. (way better than 190 laps of boredom then 10 laps of actual action on the track)
All cookie cutters besides Atlanta and Charlotte should die in a fire (this includes the 2 mile variety, such as Auto Club and Michigan)

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar9fan Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

To put it lightly, stop running ovals 34 out of the 36 races & use more road courses. Especially Mid-Ohio, because non-grandstand tickets are:
1. Usually cheaper
2. Provide a WAY better racing atmosphere than sitting in a grandstand. Proof of this statement is Bathurst & everyone sitting on camping chairs & the grass hills on the top of the mountain. Oh, & road courses are & always will be more entertaining than racing on ovals (well, most ovals)
Nascar9fan
Nascar9fan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Someone other than the France Family and Helton running it!
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Ban Kyle Busch
Ban Jimmie
Ban anybody who drives the 3
Ban anybody who passes DAYLE in wins or championships

Seriously though...

Get Rid of the chase.

Move the lower tiers to mostly short tracks.

Take the segments out of the All-Star and give them IROC like cars (Fixed setup, spec cars) just so it isn't a Coke 600 practice race.

Give the cars an aero package like in the 90's. I'd rather see a driver work for the lead than have then come from 15th to the lead in three corners.

International exhibition races. The Japan races in 96, 97, 98 were very popular among the Japanese fans. I wonder if it's the same in Europe.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:32 am

navycook75 wrote:Ban Kyle Busch
Ban Jimmie

Seriously though...

Get Rid of the chase.

Take the segments out of the All-Star and give them IROC like cars (Fixed setup, spec cars) just so it isn't a Coke 600 practice race.

Give the cars an aero package like in the 90's. I'd rather see a driver work for the lead than have then come from 15th to the lead in three corners.

International exhibition races. The Japan races in 96, 97, 98 were very popular among the Japanese fans. I wonder if it's the same in Europe.

Thing was with those races, that only 20 or so cars would go over to Japan when they had the races. Yeah, Hendrick, Gibbs, Roush, and such might be able to supply quite a few cars for the races though if they did that today.
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:07 am

There are too many races per track. That's why they are having attendance issues. Texas for example has two full NASCAR race weekends plus an IndyCar event. When was the last time you saw a full crowd at Texas Motor Speedway? I went to Mid Ohio for the IndyCar race and it was a great crowd. Why? Because they have one NASCAR weekend and one IndyCar weekend (hopefully IMSA will ad their name to the list), and the local race fans aren't as spread out.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 am

Pyrozooka0 wrote:Ban Jimmie Johnson and/or Chad Kanaus (spelling?). Preferably both
More Road Courses (Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, and Laguna Seca would be a good start.)
Add Iowa to cup schedule
Bring back the 2 car tandem. (way better than 190 laps of boredom then 10 laps of actual action on the track)
All cookie cutters besides Atlanta and Charlotte should die in a fire (this includes the 2 mile variety, such as Auto Club and Michigan)
Pyrozooka-bashing is bannanble right?
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

https://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by Backmarker Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 am

How dare people have different opinions.
Backmarker
Backmarker
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 am

Pyrozooka0 wrote:Ban Jimmie Johnson and/or Chad Kanaus (spelling?). Preferably both

That would be nice, wouldn't it?  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

This.

Meh, I don't totally agree with this. Michigan's alright. Not SuperSpecialAwesome, but it's alright.

I can agree with this.

Add Iowa to cup schedule

Meh. Not really a big fan of Iowa, since it's really just a slightly longer version on Richmond.

They would need to massively expand the seating accommodations for the track, but HOLY SHIT, would this be awesome, considering how epic the Truck race was.

Meh.

This, to a certain extent. I would keep maybe Chicagoland out of the tri-ovals and Atlanta and Charlotte (just for the Coke 600), but other than that, we really don't need all of these cookie-cutters on the schedule, because if you've seen one race on them, you've seen them all, and considering the fact that the racing is not that entertaining right now, that's not a good thing. We need a wider variety of tracks on the schedule. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceej Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Have fun distinguishing the serious ones from trolling.

-There are too many damn races. 20 is just fine.

-Break up the packs at superspeedways by making handling matter, or drop them entirely because people are going to bitch about them no matter what and the giant wrecks are bloody stupid.

-The cars are too reliable these days for there to be a need for almost every race to be 500 miles. Break up the mileage for most events into multiple short races throughout the weekend.

-Eliminate the concept of tiers for the national divisions, and merge Cup, Nationwide, and Trucks into one multi-class series.

-Chop the spoiler off entirely. See what happens.

-At least half of the schedule ought to be road courses.

-Invert the field after qualifying. This would be more interesting with the introduction of shorter races.

-Install management that actually know what racing is.
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrozooka0 Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Ceej wrote:Have fun distinguishing the serious ones from trolling.

I'd say 25, but that's just me.
-Break up the packs at superspeedways by making handling matter, or drop them entirely because people are going to bitch about them no matter what and the giant wrecks are bloody stupid.
How would you propose doing that? The only alternative to the packs I can think of is the tandem, and people hate that just as much (I seem to be the only one who likes the tandem) Also, if you don't want any big wrecks, then we have to get rid of Bristol and several other tracks as well.

-The cars are too reliable these days for there to be a need for almost every race to be 500 miles. Break up the mileage for most events into multiple short races throughout the weekend.
Agreed. The length of the Mudsummer Classic and many other Truck races is all that is really needed

-Eliminate the concept of tiers for the national divisions, and merge Cup, Nationwide, and Trucks into one multi-class series.
I actually had that idea, but decided against posting it because you guys would call it stupid

I thought you thought big wrecks were stupid? (I'm pretty sure that's what would happen)

Only if they are road courses with passing, like Road America. We don't need 10 Sonomas.

-Invert the field after qualifying. This would be more interesting with the introduction of shorter races.
Sandbagging would definitely ensue

THIS

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Ceej wrote:Have fun distinguishing the serious ones from trolling.

I think 500 (and 600) mile races should only be special races (Daytona, Charlotte, Talladega, Darlington). Everything else should be shorter races.
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:20 pm

PYLrulz wrote:
navycook75 wrote:Ban Kyle Busch
Ban Jimmie

Seriously though...

Get Rid of the chase.

Thing was with those races, that only 20 or so cars would go over to Japan when they had the races.  Yeah, Hendrick, Gibbs, Roush, and such might be able to supply quite a few cars for the races though if they did that today.
That may be true, but it gives local entries a chance.
But on the other hand, the cost of a Gen 6 car probably isn't that cheap.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:55 pm

My first few points:

- Shorten the schedule. We do not need 36 races anymore and people do not have the attention span for that long of a schedule now. 22-ish maybe, but thats it.

- Shorten the race distances, 400-500 lap races are completely unnecessary outside the big time races and are an unnecessarily huge jump from the 100-200 laps in the trucks and Nationwide series. 300 laps should be the most, make an actual incentive for the drivers to actually drive and not wait all day.

- Diversify the schedule. Everyone's pretty tired of the same two plate tracks, three short tracks, two road courses and many mile 1/2 tracks. Add more Road courses and Bring back some classic short tracks.

- Go global already. You want to brag that this is the best racing in the world and want to reach out to the world, embrace them already and actually put cup races at some locations outside the US (apart from Canada and Mexico).

- Ditch the damn chase already. Motorsports will never compete with Stick and ball sports so the Sooner NASCAR realizes it doesn't have a chance in hell against the NFL and drops its pathetic gimmick, the better.

RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:24 am

Some of my ideas have already been posted, but I'll mention them anyway to show my support of the idea. Note, these don't all need to be used. If any of these were implemented, I'd consider Nascar to be "better".

-Fewer races, 25-30 is fine

-One race per track. There is no need to repeat races at tracks that are all the same anyway. Besides, it will make each race special and unique since it will only happen once a year.

-Limit drivers' participation in lower tier events. I always thought the minimum "Rookie Year Limit" was a good number. It's like 6 or 7 races are allowed until it becomes your official "rookie year". If that's a "full season" for rookies then it is for everyone else too. Keep them in the "part time" category.

-The Chase either needs to be eliminated or made into a full "playoff". Enough of this middle ground crap. Either no chase, or the 12 chase drivers are the only ones on track in the chase and every week the driver in last is eliminated until there are only 3 cars left to start the final race. Just like a real playoff.

-Splitters and spoilers can go. It's way more fun to watch drivers on the edge of control than watching them ride on rails all day.

-The lower tier series' need to run on the former Cup tracks. Most of them were axed because they "couldn't support a cup race", so they'd make a perfect venue for Nwide or Trucks. Have a lottery every year and swap one out with a current cup track. Spread the wealth.

-Cut some more "companion" events. Nobody shows up to watch Cryle busch lap the field as it is, so running Nwide or Trucks on their own can only help attendance.

-Mandate more aero or chassis specs that must remain constant across all different track types. No more track specific car crap. Superspeedway cars should work on short tracks and vise versa.

-Cup should race on dirt. That would really test who the best driver/team overall instead of the current "whoever is best at 1.5 mile cookie cutters"

-All tracks should be re-evaluated every year for potential safety improvements. Every. Year. If they don't act on recommendations, they get axed. Cali's stupid incline into a hard-wall and Glen's stupidly thin tire walls are examples of things that should have been spotted and fixed many years ago.

-Championships within the championship. Similar to Indycar's oval/roadie concept, except maybe for each track type like short, intermediate, superspeedway, roadie. All obviously secondary to the main Cup.

-An exhibition race, maybe on a short track (for safety reasons), only for race winners from the previous season. The winner of said race gets some stupid payday (like $2 million) and everyone else goes home empty handed. Talk about ratings gold.

-Eliminate 3 hour pre race shows -_-
Mystrsyko
Mystrsyko
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:02 am

Mystrsyko wrote:

This is something you would talk to the TV Networks about, not NASCAR.
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:13 am

RACECAR wrote:
Mystrsyko wrote:

This is something you would talk to the TV Networks about, not NASCAR.
Alternatively you could just not watch. Less ratings = higher chance of less pre-show.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

https://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Spannerhead29 (Nelson) wrote:
Alternatively you could just not watch. Less ratings = higher chance of less pre-show.

This.
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Pyrozooka0 wrote:NO MORE MICHIGAN! That track sucks so much.
I respect your opinion, but please explain more thoroughly than "it sucks" next time. At least make it sound like a personal opinion.

Most of my points have already been explained, so I'm going to repeat some as well as add some of my own.
They're also in order, from what I would consider to be the most to least significant.

Management - While I'm certainly not placing all of the blame on Brian France, I feel that NASCAR couldn't have gotten to where it is now without his "leadership". Based on his first 10 years, I don't think he's qualified for his job.

Points System - As has already been mentioned, get rid of the Chase system. NASCAR races and championships are nothing like football, and attempting to apply the concept of a playoff system to stock car racing, I believe, is a terrible idea. In particular, I dislike the fact that you can dominate the first 26 races, but a blown tire at Chicagoland practically takes you out of contention.

As for the race-to-race system, I like the current one, but there are two things that I would change: give the pole sitter bonus points, and give the winner more points! As each position is worth 1 point, the winner should receive at least 10 or more points than the runner-up. I don't think that the current 4 point advantage is enough to make wins nearly as valuable as they should be.

Race Format - Again, already mentioned countless times; the races are too long for the preference of most. While the traditional races (Daytona 500, World 600, Southern 500, etc.) could remain their traditional distances, most every other race should be much shorter than they are now. While it may not be necessary, I don't think that splitting normal races into several segments/heats would be a bad idea. I'm not sure what a good qualifying procedure or points payoff would be for each segment, but I think treating the fans to multiple smaller races instead of one long race would be well-received by most, but that's just me.

Cars - I'm glad NASCAR actually listened to the fans enough to rid of the COT, but there are still too many issues with the Gen 6 car that contribute to the poor racing that the Cup Series has produced in years past. In particular, they are way too aero-dependent. I would prefer that the splitters were rid of, and the spoilers significantly shrunk. While this may not be the car itself, the tires are also another major issue. With virtually no falloff, the cars are not much harder to control on old tires than new tires.

Also, I believe the Cup cars, since the COT, have something different with their sheet metal than the pre-COT cars. The newer sheet metal is much more sturdy, and has made it much easier to bumpdraft/push cars, whereas before it took great skill to keep a car under control while being bump-drafted. Maybe it's not even the sheet metal itself, or maybe it's only just me, but I feel that something in that aspect has changed.

Tracks - I think that only a select few tracks should host multiple Cup Series races per year, maybe Daytona and/or Bristol if any. By removing second dates of most tracks, NASCAR could: a) make the schedule shorter, and b) give more race to short tracks, road courses, or maybe some intermediate tracks with more unique characteristics.

As for "cookie-cutters" (intermediate speedways), I don't believe the tracks themselves are necessarily a bad thing for NASCAR, just the current quantity of them and the location of many of them. Obviously, there are way too many of them on the current schedule, and many were built near major cities, many of which don't have many NASCAR fans.
But I don't think that the tracks themselves are boring (at least not necessarily). As I already mentioned, I believe the cars are a much more significant factor in the racing product than the tracks themselves. I use Michigan as an example. In the late 1970's and early 1980's, despite how long ago it was, the track was pretty much the same, and several 400-mile races saw upwards of 40 or 50 lead changes, whereas today there aren't anywhere near as many. NASCAR's most recent cars simply produce terrible races on the intermediate ovals.

There are many more smaller points that I also have in mind, but, again, I believe these changes would be the most significant.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 am

Cars - I'm glad NASCAR actually listened to the fans enough to rid of the COT, but there are still too many issues with the Gen 6 car that contribute to the poor racing that the Cup Series has produced in years past.

Also, I believe the Cup cars, since the COT, have something different with their sheet metal than the pre-COT cars. The newer sheet metal is much more sturdy, and has made it much easier to bumpdraft/push cars, whereas before it took great skill to keep a car under control while being bump-drafted. Maybe it's not even the sheet metal itself, or maybe it's only just me, but I feel that something in that aspect has changed.[/quote]

Technically, they never got rid of the CoT (currently called the Gen 5). The current chassis is the exact same one as the CoT, it just has different body panels to give a more pleasing appearance and better aero performance.

The reason bump drafting is easier is because Nascar deliberately made it easier. They were tired of massive crashes being caused by bump drafting (if I remember some drivers were injured too), and they took action against it. The problem was that the rear bumper was higher than the front bumpers, and when bumped, it would lift the rear of the front car off the ground. So Nascar designed the CoT to have the bumpers line up in an effort to prevent bump drafting crashes. This inadvertantly led to things like the two car tandem drafting. The "sheet metal" isn't really sturdier, the bracing behind it just lines up much better with the rear of the car in front.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can go back to misaligned bumpers again. Tandem drafting is so much more effective than pack drafting that the drivers would keep trying it anyway, even if it means crashing half the time. It would be like watching really really long ARCA races every year.
Mystrsyko
Mystrsyko
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down