Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AI Slingshot

+2
gone-sovereign
f1fan12
6 posters

Go down

AI Slingshot Empty AI Slingshot

Post by f1fan12 Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Is there any way to promote the AI to slingshot on higher speed ovals? I really don't think there is, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

AI Slingshot Empty Re: AI Slingshot

Post by gone-sovereign Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:01 pm

If I understand what you're asking, which is how to encourage the AI to slingshot more on high speed ovals, decrease ai_drafting_distance maybe?
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Not necessarily that. I guess I just want to increase the "pull" that a car gets in a draft.

If I decrease drafting distance, then I would get a giant wreck filled pack race!
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 pm

f1fan12 wrote:Not necessarily that. I guess I just want to increase the "pull" that a car gets in a draft.

If I decrease drafting distance, then I would get a giant wreck filled pack race!

Increasing ai_drag_modifier might do the trick, but it might also cause that pack racing dynamic if you overdo it. If it gets to that point, maybe try decreasing ai_drafting_distance and ai_slipcurve_k.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 am

If you are willing to use a custom .exe file, this is the biggest trick to get this working. I tried using the SSSS .exe that Joe made for the Saitama Dash Cup race and it provided some of the best racing I've seen.

Also making a setup where the cars ride on third gear until they get in the draft and have to switch into fourth works wonders. That's why the effect of the "draft" was so large in the Dash Cup race at Toddring Road Course.

Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Ben Atkins wrote:If you are willing to use a custom .exe file, this is the biggest trick to get this working. I tried using the SSSS .exe that Joe made for the Saitama Dash Cup race and it provided some of the best racing I've seen.

Also making a setup where the cars ride on third gear until they get in the draft and have to switch into fourth works wonders. That's why the effect of the "draft" was so large in the Dash Cup race at Toddring Road Course.

I feel kinda silly for asking this, but the .exe can be modified for AI racing as well? I've only seen it modified for player physics.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:52 pm

kensethfan wrote:
Ben Atkins wrote:If you are willing to use a custom .exe file, this is the biggest trick to get this working. I tried using the SSSS .exe that Joe made for the Saitama Dash Cup race and it provided some of the best racing I've seen.

I feel kinda silly for asking this, but the .exe can be modified for AI racing as well? I've only seen it modified for player physics.

The .exe modifies the physics of the game, so both AI and Players get affected. It really makes a big difference (I am actually using a custom .exe for the PART Trucks.).
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:32 pm

bsoyuz wrote:
kensethfan wrote:

The .exe modifies the physics of the game, so both AI and Players get affected. It really makes a big difference (I am actually using a custom .exe for the PART Trucks.).

Okay then, I always thought that modifications made to the .exe were exclusive to player physics. I learned something today.

Is it possible though to modify the .exe to allow for no racing back to the caution, shootout style restarts, lucky dogs, and the like?

(OOC: Post #750. Pretty Colors!)
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:29 pm

kensethfan wrote:
bsoyuz wrote:
kensethfan wrote:

Is it possible though to modify the .exe to allow for no racing back to the caution, shootout style restarts, lucky dogs, and the like?

No. The only possible .exe editing available is physics. It's the only thing you can change, is the car specs (weight, top speed, stuff like that, but the editing tool itself is kinda difficult to use) in each type physics (cup, gns, cts, pta)
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by John Norton Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:33 am

try drafting distance and play with increasing this line. ai_squeeze_pcnt = 0.0

I like to set it at or around 0.10 to 0.20

Here is a quote from a txt file that I downloaded.

"ai_squeeze_pcnt =

This allows the AI to deviate from the ususal constraints of the Race.lp, i.e. they'll more readily change racing lines.The optimal value is very track and racing series dependant. Leave it at 0.00, unless there's a definite need.

Increase the value to encourage passing, but only do this after the best opportunities for encouraging passing have been exhausted, i.e. the location of the lp's and using passing sensitive values for ai_drafting_distance and ai_dlat_pad.

{Passing can be difficult, but a top car should be able to get by a backmarker in a lap or two. A top car should get by a mid-field car in 3 - 5 laps. Two equal competitors will almost require a draft or a mistake by the lead car. Ai ratings Driver/Track-type is also a factor.}

Too high a value will have the ai running into things and/or running off the track for no reason. A value of 0.05 - 0.20 shouldn't cause wild-driving problems. You can venture into the 1.0 - 2.0 range (at some tracks it's ok, at others it's mayhem). If your lp's are very close to a wall at the clipping point of a turn, the ai may run into the wall when this above 0.00. Obviously, the higher the value, the greater chance the ai will run afoul.

The by-product of the ai trying to move off line to pass is, if the minrace and maxrace lp's aren't defining a realistic secondary race line, they'll be out of position to take a corner efficiently and consequently they will lose a lot of momentum and negate any chance for a (successful) pass.

Note: At plate tracks (or any track where you never have to lift or drafting is paramount), ai_squeeze_pcnt > 0 provides no useful benefit, in fact, it can retard passing."
John Norton
John Norton
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

http://wildkustomcars.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 pm

ai_squeeze_pcnt seems to affect how close the AI run to each other side-by-side. The lower it is, the closer they are, and optimal value depends on how far apart the minrace and maxrace lps are...

...and like many values in the track.ini, you can make this a negative number safely, something I do habitually. AI Slingshot 215644238

On a short track, keeping it from 0 to -0.125 works, but on wider tracks... you can be a lot more aggressive with it. The end result might be carnage if you push it too far though. Wink

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum