Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500

+3
BWard
nepatsfan02
Milan655
7 posters

Go down

Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500 Empty Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500

Post by Milan655 Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:44 am

Speed wrote:If the news of Alex Zanardi's triumph in the Men's Individual H 4 Time Trial event at the 2012 London Paralympic games wasn't enough of a thrill on Wednesday, SPEED.com has confirmed two of the 45-year-old Italian's closest friends are working to enter him at the 2013 Indianapolis 500.

“He told a reporter yesterday for me to watch out because he wants to race at the Indy 500 next year," said Jimmy Vasser, who co-owns the KV Racing IZOD IndyCar Series team and drove with Zanardi at Target Chip Ganassi Racing from 1996-1998.

"And he wasn’t kidding and that’s not how we’re taking it. I’ve got to get him in a car at Indy next year,” Vasser said emphatically. “I spoke to Chip [Ganassi] and said we need to make it happen between the two of us before somebody else steps in to run him; he belongs driving for me or Chip or in a car we run together. I’m serious. Stay tuned.”

Ganassi told SPEED.com he and Vasser have only just started to discuss what it will take to run Zanardi at Indy 500--an event he missed due to the split between CART and the Indy Racing League--but remains optimistic it will come to fruition.

"I'd sure like to do it and I wouldn't want him doing it with anybody else," he said, echoing Vasser's sentiment. "Right now, it's just talk, but I would think you could get a lot of support for it."

Ganassi also said that if it happens, it would need to involve a proper testing plan prior to running at Indy.

"It has been a lot of years since he's been in a formula car, so you couldn't just show up and run him," he remarked. "You've got the fitness and figuring everything out and making it work, provided it happens, to consider before you go around Indy."

The man in charge of the Brickyard told SPEED.com he'd welcome the chance to see Zanardi in action at the Indy 500.

“Alex Zanardi is a role model to everyone, inside and out of motorsports,” said Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation president and chief executive officer.

“He is a champion in everything he does, including winning a gold medal this week in the Paralympics. We wish him the best of luck as he sets more goals for his future. He would be a wonderful addition to the Indianapolis 500, and his participation would excite and inspire everyone who loves this great event.”

From a technical standpoint, the new Dallara DW12 Indy car chassis comes equipped with some of the devices Zanardi would need to pilot the car like a hand clutch and paddle shifters.

Speaking with Dallara Wednesday morning, the American arm of the Italian racing car constructor confirmed it would be able to develop and provide throttle and braking controls for Zanardi if given approval by the IndyCar Series.

Dallara currently works with Zanardi on a few different projects, including the custom hand-powered bike he uses in Paralympic competition.

From: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-ganassi-vasser-discuss-joint-zanardi-indy-500-effort/
Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500 Empty Re: Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500

Post by nepatsfan02 Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

I really hope this happens Very Happy
nepatsfan02
nepatsfan02
Development Driver
Development Driver

Back to top Go down

Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500 Empty Re: Ganassi, Vasser, Zanardi and the Indy 500

Post by BWard Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Zanardi is known a lot, I'm sure he'll be very brave to do the Indy 500 again. Smile
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:36 pm

would he be the first disabled person to start an Indy 500?
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

navycook75 wrote:would he be the first disabled person to start an Indy 500?

I believe he would, and he could set a brand new record for a big race like that.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by JMac525 Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 pm

This would be beyond awesome if it ends up happening.
JMac525
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by bartman97 Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:20 pm

If this happens, then I'll be damned.
bartman97
bartman97
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BBoy Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 pm

I really want to see this happen now.
BBoy
BBoy
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 pm

To add to that, a second gold medal today for Zanardi! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19519141
Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down