The News None of us Wanted to Hear.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The News None of us Wanted to Hear.

Post by PKligBKFan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

•Sad News - Wanda Lund: Wanda Lund-Early, widow of former NASCAR legend Tiny Lund, was found shot to death Thursday night at her home in Waynesville, N.C., Police Chief Bill Hollingsed confirmed this afternoon. The wound appears to be self-inflicted but that determination will be made once an autopsy is complete, he said. Officers have worked throughout the night on the investigation into the shooting, he said. More information will be released later. Roland Via, webmaster for tinylund.com website, confirmed Early's death shortly after noon. Via, of Holly Hill, said Lund-Early was planning to be in Daytona Beach for the February Speed Weeks to receive an award for Tiny from Victory Lane Racing Association. Details are sketchy, and no further information could be obtained from North Carolina law enforcement officials although Via said he was notified today. "She was a great ambassador and made a lot of appearances at the legends' banquets and activities," said Buzz McKim, historian for the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, N.C. "She was as little as he was huge and they were a great couple." Lund died in a 1975 crash at Talladega Superspeedway.(Daytona Beach News Journal)(1-6-2012)

This is absolutely terrible. RIP Wanda.
PKligBKFan
Legend
Legend

View user profile http://twitter.com/#!/ParkerKligfan29

Back to top Go down

Re: The News None of us Wanted to Hear.

Post by flyingturns89 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 pm

A lot of people said she was very full of life. A LOT. Be very surprised this WAS a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
flyingturns89
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:35 pm

This is terrible. I'd never heard of her before, but it's a shame I only learn of her via this tragic news. I don't know much about Tiny, either, but I know he was a great racer in NASCAR's heyday. RIP
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:28 pm

A great story about Tiny Lund: It was in the 1960's, can't remember exactly when it was, but he was in Daytona, looking for a ride, when he helped pull Marvin Panch out of a burning wreck, which I think was during the 24 hours of Daytona race. Panch was severely burned, so he had to pull out of the Daytona 500. He asked the Wood Brothers, who he was driving for, to put Lund in their car.

The Wood Brothers only changed tires once on the 21 car and stretched the fuel mileage and made one less pit stop than the other competitors, and Lund won the Daytona 500 just as his car ran out of gas. Pretty cool.

R.I.P. Wanda Lund.
PackerMan71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by day500champ1 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm

PackerMan71 wrote:A great story about Tiny Lund: It was in the 1960's, can't remember exactly when it was, but he was in Daytona, looking for a ride, when he helped pull Marvin Panch out of a burning wreck, which I think was during the 24 hours of Daytona race. Panch was severely burned, so he had to pull out of the Daytona 500. He asked the Wood Brothers, who he was driving for, to put Lund in their car.

The Wood Brothers only changed tires once on the 21 car and stretched the fuel mileage and made one less pit stop than the other competitors, and Lund won the Daytona 500 just as his car ran out of gas. Pretty cool.

R.I.P. Wanda Lund.

1963, Packer. Panch had won the 500 in '61.
day500champ1

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 pm

day500champ1 wrote:
PackerMan71 wrote:A great story about Tiny Lund: It was in the 1960's, can't remember exactly when it was, but he was in Daytona, looking for a ride, when he helped pull Marvin Panch out of a burning wreck, which I think was during the 24 hours of Daytona race. Panch was severely burned, so he had to pull out of the Daytona 500. He asked the Wood Brothers, who he was driving for, to put Lund in their car.

R.I.P. Wanda Lund.

1963, Packer. Panch had won the 500 in '61.

Thank you.
PackerMan71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by day500champ1 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:31 pm

This I think puts it best.

day500champ1

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:15 am

Wow, that's awful...RIP Wanda Lund
Cardinals5
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pepsibottle1 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:48 am

Absolutely awful, you never want to see something like this. I doubt it was suicide to be honest. Either way, it's really tragic. R.I.P Wanda Lund.
pepsibottle1
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top