Putnam, Mummert expecting first child

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Putnam, Mummert expecting first child

Post by crl on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:21 am

In the wake of the shocking news of Tom Delgado's heart attack, there is good news for one of racing's most famous couples.

The love story of Jennifer Putnam and Kraig Mummert began when the pair were students at Riverdale High School in Murfreesboro, Tennessee in 2005. For Mummert, it was love at first sight. Putnam's feelings were eventually mutual, but they were best friends from the start. They finally began dating in 2008, became engaged in July 2009, and married that December 19.

After two years of marriage, Putnam and Mummert, both 22, are expectant parents for the first time.

The couple announced the news to their families at Christmas. Speaking from the Mummert Racing shop, owned by Kraig's father Mark, the expectant father couldn't contain his excitement.

"I've always wanted to be a dad," Mummert said. "I can't believe this is really happening. I'm thrilled beyond belief. My best friend and I are gonna have a baby."

It's been a whirlwind year for the Mummerts. Kraig ended up driving the #6 car for Bolden Speedstable in the TM Master Cup Series after Woody Watts' vicious crash at Daytona that ended his season. Mummert made a big impression, nearly winning at both Grand Detour and Japan. Mummert finished 29th in points, his season being ended prematurely because he failed to qualify for the season finale at Decatur. Just after the Decatur weekend, Mummert's younger brother, Tommy, a senior at Riverdale, signed a National Letter of Intent to play college baseball at Nashville's Belmont University, beginning in 2013. He'll enroll next Fall.

With Bolden moving to the ASCC, Mummert is currently shopping for a TM Master Cup Series ride.

Expectant mother Putnam is also thrilled.

"I'm excited, obviously. I've always wanted to be a mom. We weren't really planning on having kids this early, but I can't wait until the baby is in both of our arms."

Putnam believes she is due in August. She was contracted to drive the #14 car for MT Motorsports in the inaugural CRL Developmental Division season. Ironically, Mummert's lone CRL Modified Division win came in that car at Portland, Oregon. Putnam's pregnancy obviously means her racing career is on hold.

MT Motorsports owner Fred Caldwell isn't worried or upset. He's ecstatic for the lovebirds he's known since they were teenagers.

"I'm happy as a clown," Caldwell beamed proudly. "Those two are like children to me, so that little baby is gonna be like a grandbaby for me. My two kids don't have kids of their own, yet. My son, Jason, is getting married in April, so I might have my own grandkids soon. But Jenn and Kraig's little one will do for now."

Caldwell says in a situation like this, personal trumps business.

"Kraig and Jenn are in love. I know what that's like. I've been married for nearly 25 years. My wife and I are still in love. We'll find someone to drive the 14. We'll be OK. I've talked to some people."

Kraig Mummert also sent his well wishes to Tom Delgado.

"Tom is a giant in this sport. He's a great personality who works hard and he's been successful. It was shocking to hear, but I'm glad he'll be OK."
crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Putnam, Mummert expecting first child

Post by PKligBKFan on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 am

I predicted this on twitter. Razz
PKligBKFan
Champion
Champion

View user profile http://twitter.com/#!/ParkerKligfan29

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:07 pm

PKligBKFan wrote:I predicted this on twitter. Razz

Show me.

Edit: Never mind. Found it.
crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Young African-American Shane Williams to take Jennifer Putnam's place in CRL Developmental Division

With the recent news that husband-and-wife racers Kraig Mummert and Jennifer Putnam are expecting their first child this August, MT Motorsports owner Fred Caldwell, whose team recently earned a full-time slot on the ARLA Elite Series grid for 2012, has been working to find a replacement for the expectant mother.

Putnam, who was supposed to drive her husband's old #14 Bolden, has understandably stood aside during her pregnancy, making way for a young African-American prospect, 17-year-old Memphis, Tennessee native Shane Williams.

"Shane has a good record in Go-Karts and Legends Cars, and he's very enthusiastic about having a long-term racing career," said Caldwell. "When the opportunity opened up after Kraig and Jenn announced their news, Shane was one of the first to apply, and he impressed us the most. He's smart, very mature behind the wheel, he has a great personality, and on the day he toured our shop, there were some kids there, and he was great with them. So, he's well-rounded for a racer."

"This is amazing," Williams said. "MT Motorsports is growing in the racing world, and to be joining the team at such a terrific time is great. I hope I can cement my name in what's becoming a great era for this team."

Williams is the first driver of African descent to race for MT Motorsports, but that doesn't matter to Caldwell.

"I'm not looking for skin color. I'm looking for talent, and, to me, Shane Williams, whether white, black, or green, has the talent to race with us and have a great career."

The #14 car will keep its Nashville Sounds sponsorship, and, as a salute to Putnam, her name will be left on the right side-pod of the car.

Williams' first test with the car will come Saturday, January 21 at Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville, MT Motorsports' home track, and a former CRL venue whose race was often named the best promoted. The test will be open to the public, and admission will be free.

"We want our fans to get a glimpse of the future of MT Motorsports," Caldwell said.

Expectant father Mummert, who is expected to announce his TM Master Cup Series drive for 2012 soon, will be on-hand to assist Williams.

"Anything he needs, whether it's advice, or he needs help giving feedback to the team, I'm happy to help," Mummert said.

MT Motorsports is also expected to announce in the coming weeks that Jon Halks will move from the CRL Modified Division into the VSCC for 2012, taking his Nashville Predators sponsorship with him.
crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top