Satan's Army Fan Club (The official thread of Tom Delgado & Tom Delgado Racing) (WILL CONTAIN RACE SPOILERS)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Satan's Army Fan Club (The official thread of Tom Delgado & Tom Delgado Racing) (WILL CONTAIN RACE SPOILERS)

Post by Magus978 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 am

It's a TDR 1-2 as Delgado Makes History at New York Autoring

Tom Delgado Racing secured victory at their home track in their final Dash Cup points race, and there was history made as Tom Delgado became the first driver to win in TM Master Cup, ARLA, and now Dash Cup. After a one-handed victory lap whilst waving the American flag, Delgado immediately broke down in victory lane.

"Out of all the victories I've had in my career, this one truly means the most to me. I lost my father a few months back, and he's the reason why I'm here tonight. There was no way that I wasn't going to win this race, not with him looking down on me from the heavens. Dad, this one was for you, and I hope I've made you proud." A very emotional Delgado said as he sobbed profusely. With both the New York state flag and the American flag draped around him, Delgado dropped to his knees and wept in both grief and happiness, the happiness a feeling that had been missing from Delgado's life ever since his father passed away at the age of 63.

With his win tonight, Tom Delgado becomes the only driver to have won in three major divisions of motorsport. With his ASCC campaign still going, he could become a 4-division winner by the time 2014 rolls around.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Satan's Army Fan Club (The official thread of Tom Delgado & Tom Delgado Racing) (WILL CONTAIN RACE SPOILERS)

Post by Magus978 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 pm

TMMC Timeline

Delgado Possibly Buying into Star Team Nemoto?

As the Round of Indianapolis draws near, silly season is starting to take shape. With the coming of silly season, rumors fly all over the place. One of those rumors is pretty significant, as it entails the troubles Star Team Nemoto are facing, and the possibility of Tom Delgado buying into the team.

A team that has had some much more visible off-track trouble is Star Team Nemoto. While Louis Kingston continues to impress, the enthusiam that the 17 car has been generating has not been reflected in Nemoto itself. Despite Nemoto's factory support, enthusiasm is supposedly waning in Japan, despite the Nemoto Celerox maintaining its position as the top-selling sedan in the United States for the 14th straight year. The usually hard-line Takumi Katashima was seen talking to former driver Tom Delgado at Indianapolis, and while Katashima claimed he was merely catching up with Delgado, others speculate that Delgado could be buying into the team if Nemoto pulls out. Both Louis Kingston and Troy Adams's contracts expire at the end of the year, and Tom Delgado and Takumi Katashima's working relationship was heralded for its success despite the numerous differences between the two men. If Nemoto pulls out, and Katashima stays with the team, the top rumor is for Delgado's already-successful ARLA outfit to either merge or become even more closely-linked to Katashima's team.

When asked about these rumors, Delgado refused to comment, insisting he was only focused on the Round of Indianapolis, which he will be taking part in, having been swapped into the race at the expense of Ocean Motorsports teammate Ethan Everett. "I won't be addressing rumors today, sorry. My focus is on doing everything I can to give Ocean Motorsports a good run in the Round of Indianapolis. Then we'll see" Delgado said of the rumors.

Tom Delgado currently runs in the American Stock Car Championship series for Ocean Motorsports. He has not made a TM Master Cup Series start since the 2012 Round of Wisconsin. He owns two Master Cup wins and one ARLA Elite Series victory.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:12 pm

TMMC Timeline

Ocean Motorsports' Miserable Week Ends as Delgado Struggles at Indy, Admits Misjudgement in Incident With Zack Duff

Tom Delgado had an absolutely miserable day at Indianapolis, starting in the back and pretty much staying there all afternoon until his exit from the race due to damage suffered from an incident with Zack Duff's 74 car. Afterwards, he spoke about the events of his race.

"This place really isn't good to me at all!" Delgado said with a smile before getting serious. "The incident with the 74 could have been avoided. With the issues ahead of me, I thought I had more time to slow down, and unfortunately I didn't. Similar issue to the one I had during the first ASCC race of this season. Thing is, I didn't hear of any issues between my pit crew and theirs until after final practice, and now today's going to intensify that unnecessary bullshit. I like Zack and I get on well with him, but seriously...I got enough problems to deal with without all this garbage" Delgado added.

When informed he had to meet with the race stewards for that incident, Delgado was incensed. "Really? Once again, these officials having it out for me because I ain't their model citizen. Their vendetta against me is one of the main reasons I left in 2012. Apparently excessive overreacting is a job requirement for a position as a race steward. Watch the space on Twitter, because I got a feeling that they're gonna try to throw more than one book at me. Might as well fly home tonight and prepare my best suit for the inevitable points penalty that won't mean a thing!" Delgado added.

When asked about potentially returning for a run at New York, Delgado was non-committal. "Depends on the situation. If an opportunity with a race-winning car comes, I'd jump at it. Otherwise, I'm not too keen on sullying my reputation any further. However, just know that I did not come out of retirement to putz around in the back. One way or another, I'll prove to all of you that I'm not some "has-been" trying to stay in the spotlight longer than he should, now get out of my way!" Delgado said, looking rather angry that he was asked that question when he has already stated his intentions several times.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Tom Delgado's Post-Race Online Letter - Posted on the Satan's Army Fan Club at 9:37 PM EST on August 11th, 2013

Guys, the Round of Indianapolis was a trying time for all of us at Ocean Motorsports as we tried to secure a good result. In the end, it was not meant to be. We were lost all week and were lucky to get two cars into the race. To say that I'm terribly disappointed is a huge, huge understatement. I came back to the TM Master Cup Series to prove that I could still be the best in the world, and the only thing that happened was that all the worthless critics calling for my retirement got a little more fuel for their fire.

However, I can tell all of you that they forgot to account for one major detail. Older guys can still hack it, all they need to do is look at the likes of Dale Roswell and Joseph Howard, both of them still kicking ass and taking names after all these years! I'm closer to 40 than 30, and one bad day at the office does not make me a "has-been".

Satan's Army, I invite you to join me in telling all of these critics that they're #1 in our book! You cannot kill the American Devil, nor can you silence his army. Stay strong, and perhaps I'll be seeing you guys again in New York.

Tom Delgado
Leader, Satan's Army
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Doing The Devil's Work - Tom Delgado Racing Begins Defense of 2013 Championship

After a successful 2013 season in which Tom Delgado Racing won 5 races and ended up winning the driver's championship with the legendary Joseph Howard. The team is hoping for similar results this coming season. Now, a look at the team for the 2014 season.

#17 - Joseph Howard (2013 ARLA Elite Series champion) - Howard won 3 races in 2013, including taking a season opening event for the second straight season. Despite a poor run of form in mid-season, Howard was able to get himself back in the championship hunt, and eventually take the title from Rip Tyler by just a few points. The 51-year old Howard has nothing more to prove in this sport, but continues to be a race-winning driver wherever he goes, and he seems to be enjoying driving for TDR. Expect him to challenge for a repeat championship in 2014, while picking up a few more wins.

#37 (#87 for the Smash Beer 500) - Frank Azure (Rookie, Part Time) - The owner of FAC Racing retired from racing at the end of the 2013 season, but could not resist a return to the sport in 2014 after receiving an offer to drive the TDR #37. Azure raced in the ASCC in the 2013 season, winning the pole for the season-opening Texas 500. Azure will run a majority of the races in this car in 2014, while competing for rookie of the year honors.

#37 - Tom Delgado (Part Time) - The 3-division race winner returns to the FARC Elite Series in 2014, once again as a part-time competitor. Delgado also ran in the ASCC in 2013, while making an appearance in the TM Master Cup Series Round of Indianapolis. Delgado showed that he could still win in a major series at the age of 39 by winning the Dash Cup New York GP, becoming the first driver in history to win points paying races in 3 major divisions. It is believed that Delgado will only run races in the North East region, as well as all the special events.

#77 - Jim Hayes (2013 Rookie of the Year) - Hayes won two races in 2013, and also won the Rookie Shootout. He went on to win Rookie of the Year, finishing 12th in the championship. Hayes is considered a very aggressive driver, but has also become one of the series' better drivers, and could challenge for even more in 2014.

The #37 and #77 each have new sponsors in 2014, as Defender Muffler Systems joins TDR to sponsor the #37 & the one-off #87 car for Frank Azure. CanSwav Aluminum Plant joins up with the #77 team, as Xoron Corporation has opted not to stay with TDR for this season. The #37 car will also carry minor sponsorship from Tom Delgado's own chain of used car dealerships named TD's Garage.

With the team withdrawing from Dash Cup, most of the employees from the Dash Cup end of the team have moved over to the FARC crews to provide more manpower at the track. TDR are hoping that this will allow the team to make more adjustments and be more efficient on race weekends. When you add it all up, Tom Delgado Racing has to be considered one of the favorites to take home the 2014 championship and keep it in the North East.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 am

FARC Timeline

Howard Comes From the Back to Score 6th Place Finish
Despite starting from the back of the field after outside polesitter Tom Delgado gave up his spot for him, Joseph Howard used the #17 Cathe Lenard's reliability and the unreliability of the drivers around him to move up the grid and found himself in 6th position by the end of the 2014 Smash Beer 500, albeit two laps down.

"We normally have a ton of pace on tracks like this, but for some reason we just couldn't hit on the setup. Early days though" Tom Delgado said after the race. The #17 team got trapped a lap down early after an untimely caution, and pretty much stayed there until they fell two laps down. The team, and driver, persevered and were rewarded as a lot of their fellow competitors began dropping like flies due to mechanical problems.

The boys and girls of the FARC Elite Series Powered by Smash Beer head to the Columbia Speedway in South Carolina, where the Tom Delgado Racing will field Howard, Jim Hayes, who failed to qualify for the Smash Beer 500, and Frank Azure, who will be driving the team's part-time #37. It is believed that Tom Delgado could look to return to the car at the Mosport International Raceway for the Duckroll Tires 200k road course event. The team also announced that Delgado would be the driver for the Calvert Ignitions Austin 1000, with Azure being the relief driver.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Satan's Army Fan Club Article

Is Tom Delgado a Hall of Famer?

As four division race winner Tom Delgado nears the end of his career, there has been talk amongst fans on the issue of his Hall of Fame credentials. While Delgado has not had the sustained success that racing purists would like to see, he has proven to be one of racing's most versatile drivers by winning in four major divisions. Fans of Delgado argue that his versatility and outrageous personality should earn him a place amongst racing's immortals, but purists claim that Delgado's personality and attitude have been a detriment to motorsports.

The Case for Delgado
+ 2 TM Master Cup Series wins, 2011 Round of Indianapolis Polesitter
+ 1 FARC Elite Series win, 2014 Calvert Ignitions Austin 1000 Polesitter
+ 1 Dash Cup Series win
+ 1 ASCC win
+ 2013 ARLA Elite Series Owners Champion (Joseph Howard)

The Case Against Delgado
- Highest TMMC points finish of 9th
- Highest ASCC points finish of 3rd
- Never ran full season in FARC, Dash Cup
- Never ran more than three full seasons in any series
- Has had numerous alcohol and drug-related problems in his career
- Has had a love/hate relationship with the media. They love how entertaining he is to interview, he hates them for no apparent reason
- Has retired/un-retired more times than NFL legend Brett Favre
- Simply hasn't won enough and been consistent enough to merit serious consideration amongst purists
- At 39, is no longer a top tier driver and is seemingly hanging around longer than he should, thus ruining the merit of what he's done in the past
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 am

FARC Elite Series

Critical Mistake Costs Delgado the Double in Substitute Role

After winning the 2nd heat race at Lake Afton in the rain, and dominating most of the day in the feature, it looked like Tom Delgado was about to pull off the double and win two races in one day for Bjorn Green Racing. It was set to be an incredible day for the 39 year old four division race winner, and the team his wife Ashley Tucker drives for...

Then he had a moment of brain fade and lost the lead.

He ran into the back bumper of Kenny Brillon, who was several laps down, and gave himself significant front end damage. He attempted to get to the end with it, but had to bring it down pit road with five laps to go, thus handing the race to the controversial rookie Gabriel Macena. No surprise here, Delgado became his own biggest critic after finishing 2nd as he expressed his disappointment at not taking the double.

"It was an unbelievable mistake to make. I'd expect it from a younger driver who wants to get everyone out of their way, but never from me. I had such a lead that I should have just ridden behind Kenny (Brillon) and won the race. A double win would have been tremendous for the Bjorn Green Racing team and I'm very disappointed that I couldn't deliver it after dominating most of the day. Still, I hope I didn't make Ashley (Tucker) look too bad out there. This is a great team and a great car, and she's got more than enough talent to put it in victory lane a few times" Delgado said.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:32 am

TM Master Cup Series

Despite Divina Dust-Up, Delgado Grinds Out 17th Place Finish at Decatur

Tom Delgado started the 2013 Round of Decatur in 34th position, and despite getting hooked by Divina Henton for 14th, he managed to grind out a 17th place finish, showing that the four-division race winner still has enough talent to compete with the big boys despite suspect equipment. The words from him after getting hooked by Henton were not very respectful, but he probably had a right to be angry. "<censored> donkey <censored> by the 11. There was plenty of room to make a pass! You believe what that idiot did?" Delgado said to his crew chief. After the race though, Delgado was all smiles and apparently willing to forgive Henton for the incident.

"She didn't finish the job, so it's okay. She allowed me to continue so I was able to put my grinding ability to work" Delgado said of the incident and the fact that he was able to continue without too much trouble. "After the incident, we had some damage to fix, but the Ocean boys did a very good job of getting me back out there on the lead lap and we were able to maintain enough speed to stay there. I honestly have to thank Ocean Motorsports for everything in 2013, it's been an honor to come back to the team where it all began for me as an immature early-30's drug & drink addict. I'm glad I was able to do some good things for them in ASCC and in this race" Delgado said, once again lamenting his past.

When asked about his 2014 and beyond, Delgado was very coy about his plans, simply saying "I'll say goodbye for now, but don't you cry! I'll be back again someday", paraphrasing the great Frosty the Snowman.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Statement From Tom Delgado Racing:

Fans, I am writing this press release to announce that we have completed our re-imaging! We are embarking on a new, more forward-thinking look which will continue to see Tom Delgado Racing capitalize on the gains it has made on the track. We are hoping our new branding and new look will be more appealing to fans young and old.

Thank you for being a fan of Tom Delgado Racing. We are honored to have your support and we will continue to hold that support near and dear to our hearts. Expect more great things to come from us in the near future.

Warmest Regards,
Tom Delgado
Owner, Tom Delgado Racing
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Spoiler:
Engine Failure Condemns TDR to Defeat in Championship Battle

The night had been going so well, too...

Jim Hayes fought his way through the field to give himself a chance of winning the FARC Elite Series championship, but all of a sudden the engine went up in smoke on the #77 CanSwav Aluminum Plant Lenard, ending Hayes' night as well as his championship hopes, leaving Ryan Matthews unopposed to claim his first championship.

"Frustrating isn't the word for it. We're all heartbroken" Team owner Tom Delgado said after the race. "Jim's pissed, but I expect that. He wanted this championship even worse than I did. There are no excuses for our failure. We dropped the ball for Jim and I'm devastated for him. The man's without a doubt the best driver in this series and his efforts have not gone properly rewarded with the championship he deserves" Delgado added.

There were many long faces in the Tom Delgado Racing section of the garage afterwards, many crew members not wanting to leave, all standing around in shocked silence. Meanwhile on the other side of the garage, the Matthews Motorsports crew were celebrating as their man Ryan Matthews took home the championship.

"We won't be down for long. Keep that championship warm for me, Ryan. It's coming back where it belongs in 2015" Delgado continued as he started consoling members of the #77 crew.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Jim Hayes Leaves Tom Delgado Racing

Tom Delgado Racing & Jim Hayes have come to terms on Hayes' contract termination. He has activated his higher series termination clause and has left Tom Delgado Racing. We wish Jim all the success in the world and thank him for his hard work over the past two years.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:54 pm

March 20, 2015
Statement Issued by Tom Delgado

As you may or may not know, I have been dealing with significant back problems for the past few years. When I came back to competition, I said that I would keep going until my back became an issue again. This past week, my back was in such dire straits that my wife, fellow racer Ashley Tucker, had to help me get out of bed. That was the wake-up call, my red flag. Which leads me to this announcement...

Effective the end of the 2015 season, I am announcing my retirement as a competitor. I will shift full time to the day-to-day operations of Tom Delgado Racing as its owner. Yes, I am completely aware that we went through this song and dance in 2012, which culminated in my first retirement in 2012 after failing to qualify for the Round of Indianapolis. This time, there's no going back. The board of directors & my doctor have both advised that it's time for me to retire. Succession plans have been lined up within Tom Delgado Racing, and my doctors told me that my back will only get progressively worse without major surgery, and I will have that surgery at the end of the 2015 FARC Elite Series season.

I would like to thank all of the sponsors I've had over my career, as well as all the teams that I drove for at any point during my career. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans for always staying the course with me. I hope I've made you proud during my time as a competitor, and I hope I've entertained you well.

-Tom Delgado
Owner, Tom Delgado Racing
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:44 am

TM Master Cup Series
June 8, 2014

DDE's First Double Points Finish Overshadowed by Outrage

Good news! DeGarmo-Delgado Enterprises finished in the points! In fact, both Tom Delgado (16th) & Brandon Lareau (20th) did! Bad news...they're not going to be allowed to enjoy it.

Tom Delgado was once again the subject of much criticism when he inadvertently cost Leonid Roderick the race victory, which ended up going to Gaspar de Sousa. Roderick was trying to get by the lapped #37 Jimmy John's Brute of Delgado en route to the finish line. Delgado was fighting with the #56 of Tony Durbin for position on that final lap. Delgado moved to the inside to try and take the position, and that just so happened to be where Roderick was going. That gave de Sousa the opening he needed to inch past Roderick at the line and win the race.

When asked about the situation, Delgado went on another tirade for the ages, taking shots at what he perceived as "politics over racing" overshadowing what was a (mostly) great evening for DeGarmo-Delgado Enterprises. The only real blemish being that Tom Moore's #19 Valvoline Brute not taking the start due to an engine failure.

When pressed for a further comment as he left the track, all Delgado would say was "Leonid and anyone else who wants a piece of me knows where to find me. They also know where they'll end up afterwards" as Delgado pointed to a nearby ambulance and winked.

Later that evening, Delgado fanned the flames some more by posting a picture of a blank check on Twitter, daring the higher-ups to fine him for his comments. He is expecting to be fined heavily for comments detrimental to the sport.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:56 am

Newest Tom Delgado Sit-Down Interview Reveals the Driving Force Behind the Four-Division Race Winner

Before the Jinx Power at the Glen, retiring four division winner Tom Delgado sat down with the UK-based Petrolhead TV host Geoff Clark to spill his guts about his career, impending retirement, and future in racing. The interview, which will be aired before the FARC Lone Star Championships, was released in a preview version this morning, which included his responses to three questions. For those who cannot listen to the interview, we have a text version of the questions asked, and Delgado's answers. In this preview, he spoke in-depth about the regrets in his career, the things he'll take with him going forward, his thoughts on the popular Dash Cup organization, and what he wants to do with the rest of his life. He also speaks emotionally about how his wife Ashley Tucker saved his life and has kept him alive and fighting.

GC: You're retiring at the age of 41 at the end of the year, any regrets in your career?

TD: Quite a few. I came into the sport as an arrogant punk, and it's gonna sound like I'm leaving the sport an arrogant punk. Let me tell you, this sport has a way of humbling people. It took me to rock bottom twice. It nearly took my life on several occasions, most of them off the track due to stress, yet here I am a tougher person physically and mentally. I became a man, and I have people like Ashley Tucker, Takumi Katashima, Greg Munson, and Owen DeGarmo to thank for that. Most of all, I have my wife to thank for giving me a reason to wake up every day and face the world. I was so far down on my luck when I met Ashley during a FARC weekend. We hit it off so well, and I'm thankful her parents never complained about the difference in age. I love Ashley more than anything on this planet, and my goal now is to be alive and healthy enough to enjoy the rest of our lives together.

GC: What about Dash Cup? Things seem to be going swimmingly there. What is their future?

TD: Very bright. Dean Thompson knows what he's doing. He's fair, but firm. I've had dinner with Dean once or twice, and what I got to know about him is that he's a good guy with good intentions for the series. As long as he remains in charge, Dash Cup is in good hands, especially now with Aspira coming on board as a partner with the Aspira Juniors series. The whole organization is becoming a great place for young drivers to get stuck in and learn while having fun. I hope to continue to have some role in development of their series offerings going forward, whether it be as a team owner, a driver mentor, ambassador for the series in America, whatever.

GC: What's next for Tom Delgado? What do your remaining days have in store for you?

TD: My back is in dire shape & so are my knees, so I'm going to address those problems at the end of the year. I'm getting out at the right time, because at this rate, I'll be an invalid by 42. Nobody wants that, except maybe the people who hate me and wish death on me every day! The only thing I truly want to do after I retire is enjoy the rest of my time with my wife. No more worrying her to death about my health scares. I've beaten drugs and alcohol. I've beaten some of the best in the world on the track. I've beaten people up and gotten paid for it. Most of all, I married someone who I cannot imagine life without. I've done enough in this lifetime. I can live with that.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:26 am

TM Master Cup Series
July 14, 2014

Tom Delgado OUT For Round of Indianapolis
Racing's only four division winner, Tom Delgado, announced that he will not be taking part in the 2014 Round of Indianapolis for DeGarmo-Delgado Enterprises. Delgado has opted to have a minor surgical procedure done on his right knee, claiming that he had been experiencing more pain than usual coming off of his performance in the Round of South Carolina. The surgery is slated for July 19th, the day before the Round of Wisconsin is set to take place. Delgado himself stated on Twitter that he expects to have a recovery time of 3-4 weeks.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Off The Track
December 7, 2015

On 6 Days Notice, Delgado Returns to Boxing Ring, Wins via 1st Round Knockout
Fresh off of his recent retirement from racing, Tom Delgado returned to the sport that made him relevant in the world. With just 6 days notice, Delgado accepted a 10 round fight with a 23-year old undefeated Panamanian fighter, Celso Greene (14-0, 10 KO). Delgado, 41 (49-20-4, 48 KO), wasted little time in proving that he could still throw a powerful punch, sending Greene to the canvas inside a minute and keeping him there for a count of 10, winning for the 50th time in his career. Despite this impressive showing, Delgado does not plan on fighting again.

"The promoter was an old friend of mine, and I saw he needed a replacement. As long as the gate was donated to charity, I said I'd fight whoever they had lined up for me." Delgado said when asked why he accepted the fight. He then revealed that he broke his hand on the punch that knocked Greene out.

"If Celso (Greene) had gotten up from that punch, I probably would have quit at the end of the round. I broke my hand on that punch, and it hurts something fierce right now. Luckily, he stayed down and I get my 50th win. Never again, though. This was a favor for my friend, I'm retired again. Running my race team back in the States is much less painful than this!" Delgado added with a laugh, implying that he will not fight anymore after tonight's bout.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:36 am

December 26, 2015
Statement From The Boss

A few days ago, I went to the doctor for a routine check-up. However, feeling things were a bit off, I asked for some extra tests. Those tests came back this morning via phone call. I have been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. For those who don't know what that is, it's simple. Cancer. We caught it very early though, as it is apparently in stage 1. I will begin treatment immediately, but I intend on still being involved in the majority of the decisions at Tom Delgado Racing as I undergo treatment. We agreed not to put a prognosis on my long term health just yet, but if I had to make bets right now, I'd bet on me being around for awhile.

Everybody thinks the fights I had with my personal demons, the fights I had in the ring, and the fights I had on the track were tough. Those were nothing compared to what I've got in front of me now. However, just like those, I don't intend on losing. I'm going to stay alive, and I will watch the boys & girls at Tom Delgado Racing make good.

A great fighter once said "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!". It's time to go get one more win. Let's go fight this thing hard.

- Tom Delgado
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:16 pm

March 8, 2016

Statement from Tom Delgado

After a check-up this morning with my doctor, I can happily announce that as of right now, I am cancer-free. I have been given the all-clear to resume the day-to-day running of Tom Delgado Racing. However, I am opting not to do so. Acting team principal Erik Stenstrom will remain in his role through the 2016 calendar year, after which I will decide on my role in the organization going forward.

I want to personally thank all the drivers & fans for their support through these tough two months. The thought of potentially dying before I'm ready was a very scary thing to contemplate. There was always a chance that the cancer could have gotten stronger or spread, even in its early stage. However, I am relieved that treatments have successfully eliminated it from my body. I have not been offered any guarantees that it would stay away, but we'll cross that bridge when it's time to do so.

For the moment, I'm happy to finally have a clean bill of health. Considering all I've gone through, this end result has been more than I could possibly dream of. I will forever be humbled by the outpouring of support that came from my former competitors and fans. Most importantly, though, I could not have survived this without my wife Ashley. Marrying me was never going to be easy. I'm not an easy person to deal with, but dammit she's the best wife any man could ever have. Without her, I'm not here to tell you the tales of my recovery.

- Tom Delgado
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:41 am

May 30, 2016
Tom Delgado Opens Up About Indianapolis 500 Dream

Tom Delgado doesn't know the meaning of "quit". Racing's only four-division winner has made his intentions very clear on social media. He wants a shot at the Indianapolis 500. The 41-year old former TM Master Cup Series star, who recently beat cancer, told his followers on Twitter that competing in the Indianapolis 500 is the only thing left that he hasn't yet done.

"Got something big on my mind. Heads up, you might want to take notes. I have done it all in my career. I've won in Master Cup, I've won in FARC, I've won the ASCC title, I've won in Dash Cup, I've won several races and a FARC championship as the owner of Tom Delgado Racing. I've proven so many people wrong. HOWEVER, there is one thing that I have not done. One thing that I have always wanted to do. That thing is compete in the Indianapolis 500. I remember years ago that I was told I was too fat to be in an open wheel car. I couldn't fit into one when I tried to test. You people don't know exactly how much that bothered me. It ate at me, it <CENSORED> killed me. Bottom line, I want a shot at the 500. I NEED a shot at the 500. This is the last demon I need to exorcise, and I just want a shot at doing that. I know what all of you are saying. "Tom, you're 41 years old and a cancer survivor. Can't you just be happy?" Well you know what, <CENSORED> YOU. I believe in me, even if nobody else does." Delgado said in multiple tweets, making the most of the character limits.

Having last raced at the top of stock car racings in 2014 at the Round of South Carolina and looking very much like a spent force, this latest ambition of the four-division race winner and former ASCC champion comes as a surprise to most in the racing world. Last time he was heard from, he had just beaten cancer and was getting in shape for a rumored one-off during Dash Cup's Daytona weekend. While he shot down the rumors in a tweet a few weeks ago, you should know not to rule anything out because of the complete unpredictability Delgado has shown in the past.

"I had a ChampCar test planned in 2013, but I weighed nearly 300 lbs and couldn't fit into the car. It was embarrassing. I was mocked. It didn't hit me until recently how much it really hurt me. Rather than cry about the past, I got pissed off and am now working harder than ever to be in the most supreme condition for this journey. I'm down to 206 lbs and still losing weight. When I finally do get to Indy, I'm truly going to be in the best shape of my life, both mentally and physically, and I've proven that when I'm on, I'm the best <CENSORED> driver in the world" Delgado said in a phone interview for this article.

Despite all the mocking laughter he has been met with from the race fan public, he has gotten tweets of support from racing's biggest stars, including multi-time TM Master Cup Series champion Alexis Rainsford, Dash Cup star & Scuderia Tutino driver Ben Atkins, and former Tom Delgado Racing driver Frank Azure.

If Alexis Rainsford could become a star in open-wheel racing, can Tom Delgado win the Indianapolis 500 and cement his legacy as one of racing's greatest drivers? I suppose we'll find out in the not too distant future.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 pm

July 30, 2016
Shots Fired! Delgado Fires Back at "The Bullhorn"

Racing pundits "The Bullhorn" came under fire by several drivers over its thoughts on the PART & NAAC split. However, they have decided to fire back at one ex-driver in particular, one that they may regret firing at sooner or later.

"And, further, since when did Tom Delgado become my chief editor all the sudden? I never tell him how to drive his racecar or how to run his teams. It's even best to say that I don't even know him from the hole in the ground."

Upon seeing this, a fuming Tom Delgado took to Twitter to fire back in a series of posts, as to not go over his character limit. Needless to say, shots have been fired and a war is set to break out.

RealTomDelgado: Hey Bullhorn, you untalented hacks, this one's postmarked especially for you. If you knew ANYTHING about motorsports, you'd know who the hell I am. #AskingForABeating #ZeroToleranceForIdiots

RealTomDelgado: Pray you don't meet me in person, because if you knew one thing about my history, it's that I kick the crap out of any uninformed soul that shoots off at the mouth blindly.

RealTomDelgado: I've beaten cancer, I've beaten the best drivers in the world, I've beaten the smartest team owners in the business. Now all of a sudden this guy from the dregs of society claims he's got my number? Laughing

RealTomDelgado: Last one, I promise. This is what I think of all my critics, and all of those who have dared to take shots at me in the past. <PIC of me giving the middle finger>

These comments are not exactly the most perfectly timed, as Delgado is trying to get back into race-shape in an attempt to sign with a team for the 2017 Indianapolis 500. The last thing that he wanted was another distraction from the task at hand. Now he's got one, and a rather formidable one at that.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 pm

August 21, 2016
Delgado on Post-Indy 500 2017 Plans: "Never Rule Anything Out"

Tom Delgado spoke at a charity benefit this morning in Millville, New Jersey and addressed his post-Indianapolis 500 future...and by addressed, we mean speak very cryptically about it. When asked if he would continue to race after the 2017 Indianapolis 500, he told reporters to "never rule anything out". "My phone is always on. Team owners know I'm just a phone call away if they need a short-term sub, or even just some advice. Even though I own and run Tom Delgado Racing, I have absolutely no problem giving a hand to teams that may need it. I just ask that whatever it is that needs done is worth my time. I'm done as a full-time guy, but I'm not done as far as anything else goes. Never rule anything out!" Delgado said.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 am

November 25, 2016
Outspoken Macena Attacks Delgado in Latest Social Media Drama

Slow news day? Just a bit.

The outspoken, but talented owner-driver Gabriel Macena once again made his presence felt over social media. After taking to Twitter to insult those celebrating Thanksgiving, he met resistance from the 42-year old former four division winner. That resistance was met with a vulgar reply that we can't re-print. This is par for the course from the extremely volatile young Brazilian star.

For his part, Tom Delgado has not taken the same tact. Instead, he replied to the offending tweet with a warning. "Do not poke the tiger" Delgado stated. In recent times, Delgado had been preaching to his followers the need to treat everyone with respect in order to achieve their own ambitions. Obviously, Gabriel Macena does not march to the beat of that drum. It'll be interesting to see how they continue to interact going forward.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:47 am

December 13, 2016
Tom Delgado - Hall of Famer...in New York State

Racing's first four-division winner took his place among legends this evening as Tom Delgado was the lead inductee into the New York State Motorsports Hall of Fame. Delgado, 42, despite still being semi-active, was granted an exception to be inducted. In his acceptance speech, he urged the next generation of young drivers in New York state to "achieve the impossible".

"I say this to our state's young drivers. Please, please don't be like me. Don't make the same mistakes I made. Don't burn all your bridges. Don't get engulfed by outside influences. Stay your course, and achieve the impossible. Don't EVER let anyone say that you can't succeed, because by saying that they're trying to bring you down, and we New Yorkers are too strong to be brought down by mere words!" Delgado said passionately at the end of his speech as he gave the new generation of racers from the Empire State some sound advice. Afterwards, he invited his wife, fellow racer Ashley Tucker, up on stage to soak in the applause.

For those that missed the past few days worth of news, it was revealed that Delgado would be running for mayor of New York City in 2017, but he still intends on running the 2017 Indianapolis 500.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:26 am

Sometime in 2016 after the Spa GP...
Delgado's True Colors Shine in 2017 Announcement
By Kris Oxford

For years at Tom Delgado Racing, it was always believed that owner Tom Delgado was dedicated to not only winning, but also developing talent to their fullest potential. With the announcement that he was ending his semi-retirement in 2017 and taking the seat of Amanda Torres, who now finds herself set to be sent out on loan, that whole talent development theory has blown up spectacularly.

By announcing himself as the 2nd full time driver for 2017, Delgado has put his own ambitions ahead of the development of a potential star in Amanda Torres. This move is set to hurt her development as a driver, as surely she will not find as many opportunities to run in the top 10 at whichever team she joins. By indirectly sabotaging Amanda Torres' career, Tom Delgado has set forth a dangerous precedent where an aging former star continues to chase a legacy which is slowly coming undone as he continues to underachieve and embarrass himself on the racetrack.

Of course, Delgado will claim that a duo of himself and Carla Rosinski will be in a better position to compete for wins and subsequently the 2017 Dash Cup championship, but deep down, he's doing this for himself and nobody else. He's making a fool of himself, his drivers, his race team, and the race fans. I for one cannot wait for the excuses he's gonna make when he ends up with a few bad runs in 2017 and retires again with his tail between his legs, hopefully for good this time.

TL;DR - You're embarrassing yourself, Tom. Stop living in your ego-driven fantasy world and join the rest of us in reality. You're done. Act like it.

Follow Race Time Live on Twitter at @RaceTimeLIVE, and follow Kris Oxford at @KOxfordRTL
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm

TMMC Round of New York Weekend

Lenards Gain Pace in FP2 as Delgado Regains Hope
Lenard International found some pace in Free Practice #2, and Tom Delgado seems a bit pleased about it. Pleased enough that he stopped to talk to a few local reporters after the session ended.

"We made a few gains. Started out slow, but we found something nice and now we're on the way again" Delgado said of the session. When asked of his chances to do well in the race, he was optimistic. "The conditions are always changing. I feel all of us can do well. However, I've heard rumblings in the paddock that rain could be a possibility for the race. If that happens, I believe that we can win. If we hit it right, which I have full faith in the Lenard boys and girls to do so, then anything is possible. I could win. So could Luciano (Soveral). So could Cameron (Taylor)." Delgado said boldly.

It should be noted that Delgado's last TMMC win came in the 2011 Round of Michigan at the West Midland Bullring. Amid reports that he has looked the most focused and determined than he ever has at any point in his career, it beckons belief that maybe, just maybe, he could pull off what would be seen as a bit of an upset, and hit back at all the people who have dismissed him as a spent force.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 pm

TMMC Round of New York - The Race

Newly Crowned ASCC Champion Scores First TMMC Top 10 Since 2012

While Tom Delgado did not meet his expectations of having a chance to win today's Round of New York on home soil, he managed to do what the other Lenard drivers couldn't: Stay out of trouble....mostly. The newly crowned 2014 ASCC driver's champion finished 8th today in a chaotic Round of New York under very wet conditions.

"I'm just now catching my breath! Everything was happening around us, but I just couldn't get up there to fight for the win. We had the car to do it, just a silly mistake getting tangled up with Benoit (Voeckler). I didn't notice any performance difference, but if there was, it was just enough to take us out of contention for a podium. Incident was my fault, should have slowed down a tad. Benoit has every right to hold his line, it's my job to get by him, not his job to lay down and die for me. He can come out of hiding now" Delgado said afterwards with a smile, having been asked about the incident with Tutino driver Benoit Voeckler.

"I have to give big thanks to Lenard International for giving me a car capable of great things this weekend. They didn't have to do this for me, it just shows how excellent an operation they run. I wanted to do the best I could for them and for everyone who thought I was way past my expiration date after Darlington. How ya' like me now, boys?" Delgado added, ending with a bit of bravado towards his critics after his antics at Darlington earlier this year.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:42 am

June 28, 2017
It's Over - Tom Delgado Retires, This Time For Good

For Tom Delgado, the ride is finally over. He's gotten racing out of his system once and for all. The 42-year old former four-division race winner and former ASCC champion released a statement on tomdelgado37.com announcing that he was stepping away from the sport for the last time, effective immediately.

I woke up this morning and had absolutely no desire to head over to the TDR headquarters here in Miami. The sport belongs to the young and young at heart. I no longer classify as either. As soon as I realized this, I immediately chartered a flight back to New York. The way I see it, I was going home. This time, I'm staying there. I used up every resource I had to try and get into the Indianapolis 500 earlier this year. Failing to do so is my biggest regret, and will be something I take with me to my grave. However, that disappointment is overshadowed by everything that has been flung my way in this great sport, the most important being my wife Ashley Tucker. I've said so many times that she pulled me out of my self-loathing abyss, and I'm not going to forget that ever. I look forward to spending my final years on this mortal coil supporting my wife's continuing career and eventually starting a family of our own.

Before I end this post, it would behoove me to thank all the people who have had a hand in getting me, a former drug addict & alcohol abuser...to this point. People like Steve Marshall (RIP), Takumi Katashima, Yamino Tenchi, Azuma Kazeyama, Kyle Gaffigan, Sam Morel, Louis Kingston, all the parties involved with the former Ocean Motorsports, and most importantly, every single one of you fans. I also want to thank every rival I've ever had, from the Rainsford sisters to Leonid Roderick, Tony Durbin, Ryan Matthews, Tyson Lautenschlager (RIP), Cameron Taylor, Jacob Eichholtz, Carla Rosinski, Ben Atkins, Hannah Percy, and many others who I am not able to mention here due to time constraints.

I think I've earned a long break away from the public eye, and I think that's what I'm going to do now. I thank you, I love you, and I will miss you. Until we meet again...

Rumors that Delgado is in failing health again have gone unaddressed by the former ASCC champion. Telephone calls requesting Delgado to address the rumors have gone unanswered and to a full voicemail box.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top