Stocklantis (Season VII)

Go down

Stocklantis (Season VII)

Post by Woody on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:17 am

This thread has been approved by Cynon.
This series is NOT a part of the TM Canon

Stocklantis is an American stock car series that competes on ovals and road courses, big and small, flat and banked across the continental United States. Initially formed in the mid-1990s, Stocklantis quietly achieved success during an era of economic prosper and what many American racing fans consider to be the "golden era" of stock car racing. Early on, Stocklantis was fairly chaotic and disorganized and much of the early series history is incomplete and unknown. For the 2012 season, Stocklantis began naming its seasons with roman numerals, and from there started with I. This is essentially considered the beginning of the modern era of Stocklantis racing.

OOC: I've been running this series since 2015 with my friend Eric, who some of you may know as "Weatherman."
There were two "test" seasons run and the third season we ran is the first one we actually ran that we considered to be real, so... that third season is.... Season III. Seasons I and II were stories we had developed to have going into the series. I recently went back and selected at least a champion and for most seasons also a rookie of the year - for each season going back to 2001. For now, I'm not worried about the rest...

Beginning in Season III, Stocklantis stabilized the series schedule with 13 races in states along the East Coast (and Alabama) - the same schedule was used in Seasons IV and V. During this time, the series continued to prosper and rose to prominence as the climate surrounding American stock car racing began to rearrange. Since then, Stocklantis has expanded its schedule to 30 races across the continental United States.

In moves that have been described as "franchising" the series by some, starting in Season VI, Stocklantis defined more strict regulations on various aspects of competing, such as only 30 full-time grid positions being allowed (no part-time entries), and a maximum of 3-cars per team (although 2 cars on 2 teams were given a grandfather clause, allowing them to keep their 4th cars, due to existing contractual stipulations between the teams and the series).

Continuing this "franchising" trend, Stocklantis announced a new CEO, Robert Tucker, at the conclusion of Season VI; Tucker quickly reshaped the series again, announcing an even slimmer 20-car grid with a maximum of 2-cars per team, 5 entries per manufacturer (Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota), an updated point system (described as "scarce" by critics) and, most controversially, the barring of team owners to compete as drivers.

Stocklantis VI Playlist (the first season to be featured on YouTube)

Current Format/Rules
Stocklantis VII Playlist

Woody
Development Series Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

VII - Race 4/30. Lanier

Post by Woody on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am

We'll pick up from the most recently posted race.

4. Lanier (Results and Points are in the video.)

Spoiler:
Adam Bateman calls Felipe Martinez's late and post-race actions "childish"

Reporter: "What are your thoughts on the race today, Adam?"

Bateman: "We weren't having a great race really but we stuck to our guns with the pit strategy and in the end to leave here gaining anything is an accomplishment. I'm proud of that."

Reporter: "What about the incidents with Felipe Martinez?"

Bateman: "I had no problem with the guy and I raced him like I would anybody else. I guess he got upset because he couldn't pass me and lost a couple spots so then he chose the childish route and dumped me going into turn 1. I had gotten back on the lead lap but the leader at the time wasn't far behind us and so I fell off the lead lap again."

Reporter: "And how about the tangle up with the 17 going into pit road following the race?"

Bateman: "After causing that yellow and leaving only a few drivers with a legit chance at winning the race, I would imagine he didn't make himself many friends. He restarted ahead of me but then he got what was coming to him... and I passed him on track and he was just catching up to me again by the end of the race. So he decided to be childish again and pushed the car into the pit wall entrance... (pointing to the car), it's whatever though and like I said, he got what was coming to him.

Reporter: "Okay, Adam, Thanks."

Bateman: "Yeah."

Reporter's Notes
By "he got what was coming to him", Bateman appears to be referring to Ignatius Tate clipping Felipe Martinez into the inside wall out of turn 2 and Martinez sliding up the track going into turn 3, collecting some others and losing a few positions on track. Interestingly, Drive Dinero, who fields Ignatius Tate in the #5 Kodak Camry is in a technical alliance with The Owen Chambers Syndicate, providing engines for Adam Bateman in the #27 Red Bull Camry.

Felipe Martinez was officially given a warning by the SSC (Stocklantis Safety Counsel) and his 5-race probationary period will continue until the 9th race of the season.

Martinez would not speak with reporters after the race.

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

VII - Race 5/30. Road Atlanta

Post by Woody on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks to Cynon for help with this track.

Spoiler:
Pensacola Premier owner, Peter Hernandez, critical of SSC's lack of action against Thaddeus Bowman, Jr.
Following the conclusion of Stocklantis' 5th race of Season 7 (VII), Peter Hernandez, Pensacola Premier (cars #16 and 17) team owner, was spotted arguing with a representative of the Stocklantis Safety Counsel (SSC) in the team's garage area. Hernandez was overheard exclaiming, "You penalize Felipe [Martinez] at Lanier and here [Thaddeus] Bowman wreck cars in lead lap! Ridículo!"

Thaddeus Bowman, Jr. was involved in two separate on-track incidents. On lap 7, while battling for 9th-place, twice Bowman made contact with King Hart, who twice went off-track as a result and was luckily able to avoid hitting any walls. Later in the race, on lap 27, Bowman challenged Rebecca Tulowitzki for 6th-place and both ended up hitting the wall in the esses and spinning out, both losing top-10 positions. Tulowitzki took Hernandez's #16 car into pit road at the end of lap 27 - and wound up finishing 17th.

At Lanier, Pensacola Premier driver, Felipe Martinez, was warned by the SSC after two separate incidents with Adam Bateman, who Martinez first wrecked after struggling to pass Bateman (who was lapped at the time). The second incident between Martinez and Bateman occurred after the race, with Martinez pushing Bateman into the end of the pit wall as the drivers were headed into the garage area with their cars.

The warning Felipe Martinez received from the SSC put him on a 5-race probation.

"Hiccup" in post-race inspection for #8 car, Julius Hartmann, and Formula Forsythe
Initial reports from Road Atlanta are indicating that Erwin Lambert's race winning #8 Ford, driven by Julius Hartmann for Formula Forsythe has been flagged through its first inspection and will undergo a second check by a different team of technical stewards. If the car fails a second inspection, Hartmann and Lambert/Forsythe will be fined and penalized half of the their financial and points earnings for the race - which would be 5 championship points and $1,112,500.

After 5 races, Hartmann has scored 26 points, tying Harriette Hayden for the series point lead. The financial earnings for the #8 car so far this season leads the series at $6,880,000.

More to come on this story.

Last edited by Woody on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stocklantis (Season VII)

Post by Woody on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Thaddeus Bowman, Jr.
@DeuceBowman: I go hard if its lap 1 or lap 100. Maybe you shouldn't be blocking someone faster than you in the first half of the race #rightofway

Spoiler:
Race-winning #8 car fails post-race inspection at Road Atlanta
After being flagged during the first round of post-race technical inspection, Erwin Lambert's #8 car (run under the Formula Forsythe banner), was re-assessed by a different team of technical stewards and again was flagged. Thus the race-winning car, piloted by Julius Hartmann, has failed post-race inspection.

Robert Tucker, Stocklantis President/CEO, told the press in a statement Monday morning that the car failed inspection due to illegal modifications of the rear spoiler. This supposedly included slightly sloping the car's spoiler rather than it being a flat surface, giving the spoiler a more concave shape; additionally a flat "lip" of approximately 1-inch was added to the top edge of the spoiler - both of these implementations allowed the spoiler to catch more air, and thus put more downforce on the car. It is said that high winds at the track on race day amplified the effect of the modified spoiler used on the #8 car, with gusts reaching as high as 25 mph.

Hartmann will keep the race win, but will be stripped of half of the points he earned in the race and the team is also being fined half of its winnings for the race. This amounts to the loss of 5 points for Julius Hartmann in the championship and a $1,112,500 fine for the team. Hartmann's win had tied him with Harriette Hayden for the points lead, at 26 points. With the penalty, Hartmann now stands at 21 points in 2nd-place.

It is unclear how the fine will be handled by the team, as Erwin Lambert owns car #8 as a part of an unusual merger between Stocklantis' only two teams originating from Europe - Lambert brought his own fabrication resources to Maximilian Forsythe's Formula Forsythe operation, yet the #8 and Forsythe's #9 car both run in-house Forsythe engines and under the Formula Forsythe banner.

There have been no comments from Erwin Lambert, Julius Hartmann, or anyone else at Formula Forsythe.

Last edited by Woody on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Wolfe reportedly concussed in wreck at Daytona
Colin Wolfe, driver of Bradley Automotive's #4 Chevrolet Camaro in Stocklantis, reportedly sustained a concussion earlier this season in the third race at Daytona during the fourth caution of the race on lap 52. This allegation comes from a report through an unnamed source, supposedly close to Bradley Automotive, given to Motorsport.com.

Wolfe, the former open-wheel racing prodigy, at one point considered the best American open-wheel racecar driver his age, transitioned from open-wheel racing to stock cars following a concussion 5 years ago. Damian Bradley, son of Bradley Automotive owner Dane, who drove car #18 for the team last year and moved into the team's fabrication unit, denied any knowledge of an injury, at Daytona or earlier in Wolfe's racing career.

"When did this happen?" Bradley quipped. "Daytona.... I remember [Colin] had a rough hit and he seemed maybe a little shaken up... but he made no indication to me or anyone on our team that he had a concussion."

Asked about Wolfe's concussion from several years ago, Bradley claimed, "I don't know.... that was before I knew him. You'd have to ask Colin."

Stocklantis CEO Robert Tucker's comments were limited on the subject, likely because the story is just developing, but briefly stated, "as long as he was okayed by the medical staff at Daytona and he feels okay to race, there shouldn't be any suspicion about this."

Last edited by Woody on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Race 6/30 - Atlanta Motor Speedway

Post by Woody on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Atlanta Post-Race Round-Up:

• Mitchell Ellicott completes a Stocklantis record-best, 36th race consecutively without a DNF - this streak dates back to the start of his Stocklantis career.

• Rookie Felipe Martinez finishes outside the top-10 for the first time in his career.

• Chris Holloway wins for the 5th time in his career, he's won here @ Atlanta Motor Speedway for the 2nd season in a row.

• So far in Season 7, Mitchell Ellicott @ Homestead and Chris Holloway @ Atlanta have both won races they also won in Season 6.

• Richard Small has been an excellent qualifier this season, starting on the pole for 3 of the first 6 races.

• Only Harriette Hayden, Ignatius Tate, and Chase McCall have completed all scheduled laps so far this season - 798.

• Only Felipe Martinez, Thaddeus Bowman, Jr., and Isaac Sims have yet to record a top-5 finish this season.

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Something I've been working on....

Sigh of relief in victory lane for Holloway
Heading into the 6th race of Stocklantis VII @ Atlanta Motor Speedway with a best finish of 14th along with 2 DNFs and a total of 3 points tallied, it goes without saying that Chris Holloway was in need of a good result.

Holloway got the best possible result last weekend, scoring 10 points as he won, while leading the final 56 laps in a row. Holloway won in the Season VI race at Atlanta Motor Speedway as well, his first win driving for Paul Delecroix. The first thing Chris did after getting out of his car in victory lane was dramatize a huge breath out, sighing loudly. He told those in victory lane it was a relief after such a difficult start to the season. His win at Atlanta puts his career win total at 5, 4 with Paul Delecroix Racing, and 3 of those came last season.

Rumor: Mercedes Diaz on the hot seat in car #11?
Whispers circulating the Stocklantis garage area indicate that Mercedes Diaz's time in car #11 driving for Carolina Jones' Carolina Covenant operation could be running out unless the results start improving. Despite a significant improvement in competitiveness for the team and driver - so far the combination has only managed to earn 4 points in the first 6 races. This is Mercedes' second season with the team, after Hewlett-Packard racing sold all of it assets to Carolina Jones and her Carolina Covenant organization, which originally joined Stocklantis at the same time Mercedes began her Stocklantis career. Hewlett-Packard continued sponsoring Mercedes, but eventually ended its agreement with Diaz after 22 of 30 races last season.

Supposedly, without the current sponsorship from auto insurer Progressive, the team would not have enough funding to compete this season. Mercedes scored her first career victory at Portland last season, so expect her to at least last in the car to long enough return there - beyond that race her future in the car can definitely be considered uncertain.

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Rains wash out Qualifying and Happy Hour at Talladega
TALLADEGA, AL - Rains forecast in the vicinity of Talladega Superspeedway became more than just speculation on Friday morning, as Stocklantis competitors woke to heavy rain that would continue into the night. Initially the Stocklantis Safety Counsel (SSC) chose to postpone qualifying but as the track was determined to be too wet on Saturday afternoon; qualifying and happy hour were cancelled and it was decided that times from practice would be used to set the starting lineup. This puts points leader Harriette Hayden (#30) on the pole for the race.

As of this morning, the SSC has thoroughly examined the track and has given the go-ahead for the race to be held today as scheduled.

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Spoiler:
Holloway: "I should be in victory lane"; slanders Diaz sisters
A visibly upset Chris Holloway (#1) spoke to reporters on pit road after finishing 3rd @ Talladega Superspeedway, and didn't hold back how he was feeling.

"Those Diaz girls are out of their league in this series. I can't believe they've lasted this long.... The one hardly ever finishes a race without a beaten up car, and the other fights the leaders better when she's a lap down than when she is actually racing for the win!"

"I should be in victory lane, but that damn 65...."

At Road Atlanta, Chris Holloway was involved in an early incident with Mercedes Diaz (#11) and it resulted in Holloway's 2nd DNF. Today Camila Diaz (#65), while a lap down, challenged Chris Holloway (then-leader) on the last lap in turns 3 and 4. Into the tri-oval the battle went 3-wide and Colin Wolfe (#4) was able to make the winning pass on the inside, while Holloway had basically no direct drafting support on the outside.

The Colombian twin sisters both had something to say, but had very different responses.

Camila Diaz stated, "I'm sorry to Chris [Holloway], but I will not cause crash behind me."

Mercedes Diaz reacted much more angrily, saying, "F**k him, tell him f**k off and f**k himself!"

Mitchell Ellicott's girlfriend attacks Rebecca Tulowitzki
An on-track incident involving defending champion Mitchell Ellicott (#9), Isaac Sims (#00), current points leader Harriette Hayden (#30), and rookie Rebecca Tulowitzki (#16) resulted in significant damage for all 4 cars. While driving away from the incident, Mitchell Ellicott piled into Tulowitzki in the 16 car - and then the two made more contact on pit road as Tulowitzki hit the back of Ellicott in the 9 car as he attempted to enter his pit stall. Luckily no pit crew members in the area were struck, but Ellicott stalled car #9 and would require a tow..... Then Ellicott retired from a Stocklantis race for the first time in his career - in his 37th start. Ellicott set the all-time series record in the previous race @ Atlanta Motor Speedway, having run 36 consecutive races without a DNF.

The whole thing appears to have upset Ellicott's girlfriend, Jennifer Sands, very much. Just outside of Rebecca Tulowitzki's personal motor home, she was confronted by Sands and things became physical after a brief exchange of angry shouting between the two. According to reports the altercation happened quickly and did not last long, but Tulowitzki was later seen with a swollen upper lip.

A very composed Mitchell Ellicott, didn't seem bothered when asked about the end of his record DNF-less streak, expressing "well, all good things come to an end. You know? It kind of is what it is." However, later when he found out that Jennifer had attacked Rebecca, he came to Rebecca's defense.

"It was really uncalled for... Jen should not have done that and it is really unacceptable. I apologized to Rebecca and I broke up with Jen and told her that it is over between us. And then she attacked me!" Mitchell told reporters, as if still in disbelief.

Ms. Sands had to restrained and forcibly removed from the track by police and according to some reports was even tased.

Woody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Chase McCall
@ChaseM: <picture of Texas Motor Speedway grandstand> home sweet home
Fort Worth, TX

Woody