2017 Hungarian GP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2017 Hungarian GP

Post by The_Wall_91 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Formula 1 starts the other half of the season with a return to the Hungaroring in Hungary. This is the last race before F1 goes on its summer break. Before we try to enjoy August, let's get to some headlines.

Halo Reach

The FIA announced today that they will be introducing the halo to competition next season. For those of you wondering what the halo is, it is basically a ring with an extension piece that goes in front of the driver. Unless a better alternative is thought of, every car next season will deal with the oddities of this piece. In my opinion, I am fine with the push for driver safety but I think the screen would have been a better choice.

Ferrari Flubs Up

The finish to the British GP could not have gone any worse for Ferrari. Late race tire punctures for both drivers surely gave Maurizio Arrivabane a heart attack. While Kimi was not hugely affected, it was a different story for Sebastian. Vettel fell from what was a 4th place finish to outside of the top 5 losing a large chunk of his driver's championship lead. Lets hope that they don't try to blow their tires again.

Kvyat vs. The World

The past few races for Daniil Kvyat have been laughable to be kind. After taking out Alonso and Verstappen in Austria, he made up for it by taking out his teammate Carlos Sainz. While Daniil did claim that Carlos drove him off the track, I am pretty sure that hitting the grass is not going to help that claim. From me to Daniil, stop it.

The_Wall_91
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017 Hungarian GP

Post by Alta on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:45 pm

The_Wall_91 wrote:
The FIA announced today that they will be introducing the halo to competition next season. For those of you wondering what the halo is, it is basically a ring with an extension piece that goes in front of the driver. Unless a better alternative is thought of, every car next season will deal with the oddities of this piece. In my opinion, I am fine with the push for driver safety but I think the screen would have been a better choice.

"Its better than nothing!!1"

A half solution that teams vetoed en masse only to be turned over by FIA totally instills confidence on a very controversial topic, they panicked cause the shield had a bad test and instead of actually trying to fix said problems they force something that has known flaws and goes against the whole "we want f1 to be pretty" thing they're going for right now.

I don't see it making it to 2018, but we'll have to see how it all plays out.
Alta
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 am

Formula 1 might be the last open wheel series that needs head protection given how spread out the cars are and how rare HUGE accidents are. On the other hand though, they are the fastest road course cars in the world, so I can see where if you have a Massa situation it can obviously get bad very quickly.
pennst24
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Time to begin my rant:

It only seems so ironic that this announcement came around the time of Jules Bianchi's passing 2 years ago. Unless something else is done to prevent this from being put into proper action, my time is up with F1 after this year. It's been pretty clear that the majority of the F1 community including me have been strongly against this idea since it was first tested last year, and I certainly doubt the teams and drivers would all feel fully comfortable having something obstructing their view. It may make it near to impossible to get out of the car if it lands upside down or even worse, catches fire.

And also, how in the name of holy grail are you going to implement something like this on every other form of Single Seater racing categories around the world?! I've been a lot more interested in the sport this year as for the first time since 2012 we at least have more than one team capable of challenging for the title, but this seems to have put anything but a positive impact on what is supposed to be the pinnacle of Motorsport, which I happen to believe it certainly isn't now.

Sorry, but I won't be willing to give this chance, and I hope others feel the same way too.
My only hope is that the awfully stupidly ridiculously horribly dangerously hideous looking thing will last as long as these things did:
BWard
Legend
Legend

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Wall_91 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:17 am

Time for the Hungarian GP questionnaire. There are 4 questions for you this time. Here we go...

1. Of the current drivers, who made their only front row start to date in Hungary?

2. In 2008, Felipe Massa had his engine expire 3 laps before seeing the checkered flag. Who picked up the pieces of Felipe's engine failure and won his first and only race?

3. Zsolt Baumgartner made his home race debut in 2003. What team was he driving for?

4. Only 2 drivers have claimed the drivers championship in Hungary, who are the 2 I am referring to?

The_Wall_91
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rovenami on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

1. Ehhhh....Grosjean?
2. Heikki Kovalainen
3. Jordan Grand Prix
4. Schumacher in 2001 and I don not know the other driver
Rovenami
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Wall_91 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Rovenami wrote:1. Ehhhh....Grosjean?
2. Heikki Kovalainen
3. Jordan Grand Prix
4. Schumacher in 2001 and I don not know the other driver

1, 2, and 3 are correct. For 4, Michael Schumacher is 1 of the 2

The_Wall_91
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:38 am

Felipe Massa is sick and is sitting out the race.

Paul Di Resta will make his 1st F1 start since 2013.
Alta
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Wall_91 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:26 am

Winners of the Hungarian GP:

Ferrari: 1-2 to go into the break
McLaren: No failures and double points for you guys
Fernando Alonso: Set the fastest lap of the race
Carlos Sainz: Another quiet run for you with a good points haul