Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003

+5
Ceej
UndyingLight
gone-sovereign
navycook75
SpeedDemon37
9 posters

Go down

(DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003 Empty (DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:42 pm

This is my first serious attempt at creating a paint scheme for an open-wheel car in NR2003, and I have put far, far more time into making it than anything else that I have ever painted (even though it's much more simple than many other DW12 schemes that can be found on EFR).

I've pretty much spent my entire life trying to imagine what "my" car would be if I ever could race a stock car and determine every detail of its appearance, because for the life of me I cannot decide what I would want as a sponsor (I probably put a bit too much thought into this). That's part of the reason why I always use the checkered flag scheme; I do love it, but I also don't have to decide what the sponsors are. For whatever reason, though, I feel that San Pellegrino is exactly the sponsor that I would want if I were to race in IndyCar.

That being said, I'm not 100% satisfied with how this scheme turned out, just with my general idea of what I want it to be. I would greatly appreciate any constructive criticism offered for it; I would love to know any way that I can make it better! Very Happy

Spoiler:

Known issues and other things that I'm hoping to work on include:
- Much of the sidepods are empty space, as the logo is rather small. With my limited knowledge of painting, I do not know at this point as to how one can split the logo and wrap it around the mesh.
- I can't help but feel that the car may look better if the orange were to be located elsewhere. However, I would prefer that the sidepod, wings, and nosecone logos all be set on blue paint, and I also do not want to relocate the fruits on the engine cover, so I'm not quite sure if there's even a way that I could do this. Whatever the case, I prefer that somewhere between 20% and 40% of the paint be orange, with the rest being blue.
- If I could find a way to apply the texture featured on this can to at least the orange paint, I would like to see how that would look. http://www.italco.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/r/pr2310_sp_ar_orng_str_dry_can.jpg

Credits

Mod
Smiffsden (DW12 IndyCar Series)

Template
Smiffsden

Base
Ernhrtfan Racing (Cynon)

Numbers
Sim Racing Design
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

(DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003 Empty Re: (DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003

Post by navycook75 Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Looks good!
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

(DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003 Empty Re: (DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003

Post by gone-sovereign Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:41 pm

Very impressive for your first attempt. I think I would fix the fruit decals on the air box and the rear wing though, since the model cuts them off. Looks a little awkward to me.

You should come race Formula 5 with us. Wink
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by UndyingLight Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Looks fab, fam! Ya did an excellent job! You going to do more
UndyingLight
UndyingLight
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to know that it turned out all right.

BlazingEmpireHD wrote:Looks fab, fam! Ya did an excellent job! You going to do more
I actually do have an idea for another DW12 car, but it may be some time before I get around to finishing it.

kensethfan wrote:Very impressive for your first attempt. I think I would fix the fruit decals on the air box and the rear wing though, since the model cuts them off. Looks a little awkward to me.

I would move the fruit if possible, but that's unfortunately where the original image of the decal cuts off. Appreciate the feedback, though.

And it's funny that you mention Formula 5; I've been meaning to research what it would cost to acquire a decent steering wheel, having read a lot of forum posts recently about everyone enjoying the league. Very Happy
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceej Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:17 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:And it's funny that you mention Formula 5; I've been meaning to research what it would cost to acquire a decent steering wheel, having read a lot of forum posts recently about everyone enjoying the league. Very Happy
This past Friday was my first F5 race in almost 2 years, and I had to use a gamepad because I haven't been able to get my wheel properly installed. I finished second, so you don't necessarily need a wheel to do well, just an ability to not crash Razz

As for the car, I think that star on the sidepods would look neat if it were made bigger and moved up onto that flare over the rear wheels, reducing the blank blue space and leaving more room on the sides to make the text bigger.
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Ceej wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:And it's funny that you mention Formula 5; I've been meaning to research what it would cost to acquire a decent steering wheel, having read a lot of forum posts recently about everyone enjoying the league. Very Happy
This past Friday was my first F5 race in almost 2 years, and I had to use a gamepad because I haven't been able to get my wheel properly installed. I finished second, so you don't necessarily need a wheel to do well, just an ability to not crash Razz

As for the car, I think that star on the sidepods would look neat if it were made bigger and moved up onto that flare over the rear wheels, reducing the blank blue space and leaving more room on the sides to make the text bigger.
Idea In that case, I think I may be giving the league a try in the near future! (I'll probably still look to acquire a wheel, eventually.)

I'll try to modify the sidepod logo in that manner and see what I can do.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:59 am

SpeedDemon37 wrote:Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to know that it turned out all right.

BlazingEmpireHD wrote:Looks fab, fam! Ya did an excellent job! You going to do more
I actually do have an idea for another DW12 car, but it may be some time before I get around to finishing it.

kensethfan wrote:Very impressive for your first attempt. I think I would fix the fruit decals on the air box and the rear wing though, since the model cuts them off. Looks a little awkward to me.

I would move the fruit if possible, but that's unfortunately where the original image of the decal cuts off. Appreciate the feedback, though.

And it's funny that you mention Formula 5; I've been meaning to research what it would cost to acquire a decent steering wheel, having read a lot of forum posts recently about everyone enjoying the league. Very Happy
You don't need a wheel. You can do pretty well with either a keyboard or controller Very Happy
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Very nice car! Hopefully, as a few others have said, it'll be out on the track for Formula 5 soon Wink

Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Appreciate the comments, everyone!

I tried to do what Ceej suggested; splitting the star and the text on the sidepod logo and moving the star up onto the flare. I wanted to keep the star and the text close together to stay accurate to the logo, although that unfortunately leaves a lot of blue space below it (the star is moved as close to the split in the mesh as possible). The logo is quite a bit larger, though. I'm not sure if I prefer it this way or as I had it originally.

(DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003 Screen16
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by UndyingLight Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:37 pm

It looks quite a bit better. More enthused race car painters will give you better constructive critiquing than I can. One suggestion, add a small logo (on both sides) just over the pellengrio sponsors. Just to loosen the car of some light blue.
UndyingLight
UndyingLight
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus978 Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:43 pm

It'll be the best 37 car to ever race in F5 by default, because I ran 37 and am total rubbish. Razz

Personally I love the car. Looks pretty classy.
Magus978
Magus978
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:04 pm

That's actually a very good first attempt. Especially since you have a helmet design to go along with it. Very Happy

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Many thanks for the comments, everyone! I'm glad that the car is getting positive feedback.

I did a little more experimenting with the sidepods, making small adjustments to the star and to the text. (I also cleaned up a slight paint misalignment at the very rear of the body). As much as I like the fruits that are on the sidepod and the rear wing, I think that they are good only in moderation and I don't want to overdo it. However, being short on ideas as to how to fill in all of the blue space, I've added some more fruit anyway, placing some decals below the sidepod logo to see how it looks. I'm still not sure whether I prefer this arrangement or the original.

(DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003 Screen17
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by mellmotors78 Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Looks great! is there a download link for it?

mellmotors78
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 pm

mellmotors78 wrote:Looks great! is there a download link for it?
There is now! (DW12) My First Attempt at an Open-Wheel Paint in NR2003 215644238 (Also, thank you!)
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down