Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0)

5 posters

Go down

Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) Empty Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0)

Post by Cynon Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:26 am

This track started life over two and a half years ago as an edit of Edenvale. I since redrew the track from scratch at least twice, finally settling on this version as it was the most fun to drive on. It's set in a Midgar-like city that is a re-imagining of a location I created for an RPG Maker game I was invested in about 7 years ago, so that should explain the somewhat bleak and depressing imagery on the track. The track runs through part of Industrial Zone 7 in Gravis City, comes out of Zone 7 onto the city streets, and then back into Zone 7 at the end of Carver Street.

This is the first track in Gravis City that I plan on releasing. There's two more (both of them ovals) that have been plotted out in Sandbox already.

I was about 75% done with this track but I realized there were no decent straights during AI testing so I lengthened Carver Street (the long run from turn 6 to turn 7) and added in the factory section near the end of the track (turns 7, 8, 9, and 10). That's why it took so long for this track to be made and for the TM Master Cup races here to be run.

How a good driver gets around Zone 7:
How a bad driver gets around Zone 7:

Features:

• 10 turns, 3.02 miles long.
  • Sounds! Lots of ambient sounds! Very Happy
  • Comfortably fits a full field of 47 -- but you need to know how to do the 46 AI car exploit -- which I still haven't boiled down to a science yet.
  • Really, REALLY aggressive AI. They aren't afraid of each other and they aren't scared of you.
  • Guaranteed to make the plutocrat inside of you ... proud? Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) 215644238
  • Selecting Full Pace Lap will give a standing start, unchecking it will be a rolling start.
  • Green cones to indicate the start and end of the restart box.... though I don't really recommend cautions for this track.
  • Riot cops watching over proceedings...
  • Low grip painted runoffs to discourage off track excursions.
  • 3D tire barriers that are solid, and instead of absorbing a car like a tire barrier would to an IndyCar, they ricochet off of them, like in a stock car.
  • A few neat lighting tricks that I haven't seen anyone try with NR2003 before. If you have a car with a fair bit of white on it you'll notice them quicker. Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) 215644238
  • Variable grip passing zones. If you've driven on Bikernieki before you know what I'm talking about.
  • Some amusing billboards.
  • PLENTY of setups for people who race online or are considering on using this track for their league. It's been league-tested.
  • A level of heart and imagination I find sorely lacking in NR2003 tracks.

Special thanks to

• John Norton for the tire barriers and for his short tracks -- which were a tremendous teaching tool for me.
  • WoofGM for the work he did with NR and for being a sounding board for the early stages of this track.
  • Josh Batista for helping me clean up my driving over the span of several years, which helped me make the AI what they are.
  • Formula 5 Drivers for putting on a hell of a show when testing this track.
  • Scott Bates for never quitting.
  • TM Master Cup fans and participants for continuing to poke fun at the tardiness of this track and, at the same time, motivating me to make it even better.

There are a lot of objects on this track that I pulled from other tracks and sources and modified to make them fit here. The sources that I can remember off the top of my head;

• Surfer's Paradise (Kinda obvious Laughing)
  • Thornton (One or two background buildings)
  • Toronto (There's a big brick building on the track in two places)
  • Desert Road Course (The gasworks in turn 2 are reskinned from that track, there's also a Gehl forklift truck)
  • Deus Ex (1999 PC Game ... that's where a lot of the factory textures come from)
  • Marathon 2 & Marathon Infinity (The humans you see trackside...)
  • New York City Road Course/Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (In case you didn't know, the NYC street circuit had a lot of Vice City rips as trackside objects, some of which I borrowed.)
  • Taylor Swift Superdome (The portalets and the dumpsters.)
  • A loft building I got from 3DWarehouse and exported from Sketchup (If anyone has serious FPS problems that show up only in parts of the track, it's probably because of this fucking thing Laughing)

There are plenty of original assets on this track, as well. Those of you who know me pretty well know what my policy on taking objects that I made myself is, but for those of you who don't, if you want to make your own NR track and want to learn from what I did here or want to use something I made for this track, go for it, don't bother asking, just go for it. Very Happy

Also, if you want to provide another mirror to this track, go ahead and rehost it on your own site. I won't be mad. Very Happy

A list of some but not all of the easter eggs...

• A silent tribute to the first man to see a lot of the assets from this track.
  • A recreation of an infamous German forklift safety video.
  • Someone having a really shitty day at the races...
  • Three security bots ripped from Bomberman Hero.
  • Eight unique graffiti tags.  
  • Trump
  • An individual who had leaked secret government information and became an enemy of the state.
  • Support paddock -- with 20 default cup Pontiacs and 27 Indycars on track.
  • Some trash.
  • Lots of fire!
  • Plenty of security guards. Have you heard from all of them? Not all of them have reported in yet...
  • Harambe
  • Three security men guarding a crime scene.
  • Some ... unique... parking.

=======

Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) VCqtror
Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) 7UD9Glo
Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) HwOTB9U
Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) ClVOydQ
Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) FRtVZBs
Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) YnwWxUy
Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) XEWDDis

=======

Extract this to your root NR2003 Directory -- there are custom sounds in this track.
Download (v1.5.0)

=======

Feedback and bug reports should go below. I'll respond to them as often as I'm able to.

Last edited by Cynon on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:29 pm; edited 11 times in total

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) Empty Re: Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0)

Post by PRAWBLEMS Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:15 am

This thing looks sweet! Can't wait for our gracious overlords to download it for me.
PRAWBLEMS
PRAWBLEMS
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0) Empty Re: Gravis City: Industrial Zone 7 (1.5.0)

Post by ongias25 Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 am

Thank You Ian. Looking forward to trying it out when I have time. Smile

ongias25
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:52 am

Released the 1.1.0 version of the track.

Now includes...

• Pavement discolorations -- some might be dirt stains, oil patches... they don't affect the handling of the car at all.
  • More easter eggs! (see original post)
  • A haze layer that sits over 70 meters above the track surface. You'll notice it when driving but less so from the helicopter camera. It's 62 frames, and it might be one of the single biggest objects ever made for NR2003 -- each instance of the haze.3do is 2km square.
  • Organized Indycars in the support paddock!
  • Cleaned up the turn 2 tire barriers.
  • More on-track sponsorship including a comical amount of SRB logos on the north end of the circuit, BDA Biotechnology billboards, and others...
  • Two missile turrets from Starcraft 2. If you have frame issues at the north end of the track (where the red painted area is), these are most likely the reason why.

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPGRacing75 Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm

I'll have to try this out! Very Happy
TPGRacing75
TPGRacing75
Development Driver
Development Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

New in version 1.3.2:

- FPS-killing missile turrets and buildings removed.
- Ambient sounds, ranging from the PA speakers to some machine sounds trackside. You read that correctly. Extract the directory to your root NR2003 folder.
- Fixed cameras, added real Pitlane 1 and Pitlane 2 cameras.
- Billboard walls taken down in parts so you can see the scenery.
- Runoff in turns 3 and 10 to add marshal posts.
- New concrete texture.
- Flag object courtesy of Project Short Track. Actual flag design is my own, though.
- New buildings to replace/compliment some of the crappy old ones.
- The sky moves with the wind like it does in Zone 11.
- Barrels!
- More cargo boxes!

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by koreawut Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am

I feel like I'll play each release in chronological order and pretend things were actually changing. Very Happy

koreawut
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Released version 1.5.0, which cleans up some of the FPS issues that were on the track previously.

There are a lot of texture fixes, including new animated billboards to liven things up a bit. Very Happy

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down