Directions you'd like to see NR leagues take?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Directions you'd like to see NR leagues take?

Post by kensethfan on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 pm

(TL;DR: See title.)

I was talking with Gabe (bsoyuz) on TeamSpeak a few weeks ago about his offline leagues, particularly PART. I said I admired his dedication to his league; it has a solid premise strong enough to keep it going for a while. It got me thinking about how new and innovative concepts, not just for NR2003 leagues but for anything in general, can generate enough interest to gain a good following. No doubt, the execution of the idea is key as well (see No Man's Sky), but I consider the concept behind the project to be the prerequisite to the project itself. Sometimes tradition isn't good enough, and believe me, there are enough shitty offline NR leagues clogging up YouTube to reinforce that.

Now I think everyone on this forum, whether they be watching a league or trying, but not always succeeding, to run leagues themselves, has ideas for how a league should be run, or ideas that could produce some interest. But not all of us, in our busy work lives, have the patience to put in dedication to their ideas by themselves. At the same time, I don't think there's been an open discussion about this; a spitballed idea that could inspire someone else to incorporate into their league. So as this forum has 450 members and growing, what are some of the new directions and avenues you'd like to see NR2003 leagues (online or offline) take?

For offline leagues, the idea behind the WSCDD league I'd had a couple years ago I still think holds water, and I might even consider coming back to, albeit it was an unintentional ripoff of Nations Cup, which was in turn a ripoff of A1 Grand Prix. I'd even thought about doing a standalone Indianapolis 500 event with participants from this forum, or a Motorsport Olympics event where drivers would compete for gold medals in time trials at different track types. But as I write this, I think the latter idea might be best reserved for online racing.

Ideas about online league racing is something I've put more thought into, because I'm seeing a lot of leagues that run nothing but the same few ovals every season. If it were up to me, I'd take a similar avenue to what Cooper does with Formula 5, always going to new and unique tracks that you might not have even seen before. And even though it's still fairly recent, I think the hacked .exe gimmick that a lot of leagues are using nowadays is something that turns people off about racing online, when the default vanilla NR2003.exe works just fine for it. One idea I've long had is for a bi-annual Daytona Beach event, where we'd gather a bunch of people from all around the community for an invitational race at the NR Daytona Beach track, probably with the Dirt55 mod or something similar. In my mind, that's an idea that could be really fun if done correctly.

Last edited by kensethfan on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Directions you'd like to see NR leagues take?

Post by Magus978 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Since I'm doing this in storyline with my namesake, I'd like to see the 2017 Indianapolis 500 become a video thing. Other than that, I can't think of anything at the moment.
Magus978
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NASCARLOVER427 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:11 am

After I realized that Power Quest brought back NURA as Extreme Championship Racing, I was thinking of an offline league mixed with pro wrestling with storylines, championships, gimmicks and the works.
NASCARLOVER427
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC38X7A4OTUNE5rYROv9Bnzw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 am

Not exactly an NR League idea, but if there's enough interest in it, I'd like to actually do a TM Canon "charity football match" using something like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer.

I also have had an idea of doing a TM Canon version of Race of Champions, but the only thing halting me from trying that is the limitations within NR2003.

NR2003 Online Wins: 121 (Latest - EFR Short Track Challenge at Abbotsford Speedway [06/08/17])
NR2003 Online Poles: 80 (Latest - EFR Short Track Challenge at Abbotsford Speedway [06/08/17])
iRacing Online Offical Wins: 19 (Latest - NASCAR Trucks at Daytona [06/30/17])
NR2003 Championships: 6 (2013/2014 GOMA Trucks, Formula 5 Season 12, 2014 GOMA Trucks, Formula 5 Season 13, Formula 5 Season 14, Formula 5 Season 16)

Nico Nico Nii.
Ben Atkins
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:44 am

Offline: I've had ideas for my own leagues such as a "World Cup of Motorsport" or "Champions League" type deal, but I haven't really gone through and really tried to make it happen. There's only so many things you can with with NR2003. I usually can come up with decent ideas but I also have enough trouble just trying to make my own race videos look decent enough for people to really watch as I'm limited with the software I have. My series that I run outside of here (DuPont World Series of Racing, cheap plug) is inspired by the series on this forum. Eventually I'd like to try running a series here personally.

Online: For the league I personally Admin with a few friends of mine, I usually try adding new tracks to the schedule every season while keeping the favorable ones from past seasons. My main focus when it comes to leagues is to create an oval schedule (With some road courses on the side) that's unique enough to keep people interested but it can be a bit tough. I do my best to keep NASCAR tracks in there but also try to venture out and try fictional tracks or ones that aren't used in NASCAR at all. For example here's our Cup Series schedule this season.
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Online: Reason I don't run in any other NR league online other than F5 (which I admin) is because too many NR online leagues take themselves way too seriously. WAAAAAY too seriously.

For those of you who aren't aware of it, F5 is a NR league using the DW12 mod, and is basically us being tryhard jokers for an hour. It usually runs on tracks either nobody's heard of or cares about (and trust me, we've had a lot of tracks that have issues). The series runs mostly road courses with a few short ovals, everything is open setup mostly because I stopped trusting the setups people include with their tracks (you wouldn't believe some of the shit that passes as a pta setup).

But really, we kinda do delve into the unknown with a lot of the track choices I make. Sometimes we find hidden gems in the NR community, like Edenvale, and other times, we wonder what the fuck the track author was drinking/injecting when they were making it (like... a lot of tracks, honestly Laughing). I make a point to avoid superspeedways at all costs. You want to see a lot of unnecessarily salt in an NR league? Run more superspeedways. Fail

There are also 10-11 AI cars running for the new people to have a set goal to beat. They usually aren't all that fast, and they do get in the way. But on times when the AI wreck people, they're usually out for everyone. Sometimes they're actually fast enough to mix it up with some of the moderately fast people, but usually not.

tl;dr most NR leagues take themselves too seriously and there's a whole lot of really good tracks out there nobody will touch because they're fictionals.

Offline: If it doesn't make you happy while you're running it, there's no point in doing it. Don't be pressured for time either, unless that helps you out.

Magus978 wrote:Since I'm doing this in storyline with my namesake, I'd like to see the 2017 Indianapolis 500 become a video thing. Other than that, I can't think of anything at the moment.

I'll get back to you on that.

Online Wins: 21
Last Win: Short Oval Challenge @ Vancouver
EFR's #1 A.J. Allmendinger fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:06 am

Online: More leagues with variety. It seems like most of the leagues out there follow the Nascar Cup Schedule for the most part or Superspeedways because who needs talent, and seeing basically the same schedule over and over again can get pretty boring after a while.

Offline: Don't be a Nascar clone.
navycook75
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:12 am

This is kinda why I enjoy F5 as much as I do: even though it tends to be frustrating at times, there's enough variety (and the unpredictability of the bots, because they'll follow Master Cup AI sometimes) to keep things interesting. And to think when I first started at GOMA I avoided it like the plague..... Razz

A SS series can be made interesting...as long as the tracks vary enough in distance and layout so that not every track is a Talladega/Daytona clone.
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 am

I would like to see a decent open wheel series. The only problem comes within NR because it doesn't like Open wheelers.

f1fan12
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:02 pm

f1fan12 wrote:I would like to see a decent open wheel series. The only problem comes within NR because it doesn't like Open wheelers.

I think if you got it just right with the track ini's and ptfs, as well as a modified exe Wink , it could pass, but there's still limitations.

For me, I always ran an offline league for the sake of running one, which didn't turn out well. Make sure you have an original thought and a direction of where you want the series to go, and what you want the series to BE, especially if it fits in the TM canon. Do as I say, not as I do. Razz

For online, when I was an admin at GOMA I tried some things with oddball tracks and series (our GNS series ran South Georgia once, which everyone hated but I loved Laughing ). I tried to scour whatever sources I could find for random short tracks, which turned out to be fun.
pennst24
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykia on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:33 pm

pennst24 wrote:
For me, I always ran an offline league for the sake of running one, which didn't turn out well. Make sure you have an original thought and a direction of where you want the series to go, and what you want the series to BE, especially if it fits in the TM canon.

This.

This this this this this.

My biggest issue with the NRC was that I tried to fit it to what I thought others would want, and I ended up losing interest almost immediately. So the little down time I had, I kept myself busy with other things so I didn't have to do it. I actually may give it one more shot, but it would be somewhat of an overhaul (my current idea is an east/west series, like K&N).
Rykia
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:50 pm

pennst24 wrote:
f1fan12 wrote:I would like to see a decent open wheel series. The only problem comes within NR because it doesn't like Open wheelers.

I think if you got it just right with the track ini's and ptfs, as well as a modified exe Wink , it could pass, but there's still limitations.

You might not even need a modified .exe, there's plenty to work with in the track.ini alone. I've made some open wheel track.ini setups that I think are passable.
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 pm

I'd like to try F5, it's just I don't want to be up so late lol.
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top