Post by Cardinals5 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:00 pm

Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bit of sad news

Post by kensethfan on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Sorry for the late entry, I'd half expected Cooper and some of the people on these boards who knew him well enough to offer their respects first.

To be brutally honest, I didn't personally know WoofGM that well. He was a military service veteran, I don't know whether he saw action or not but from what I gather he did serve overseas; I believe he was a moderator at NNRacing, every so often he'd post on these forums, and sometimes he'd be hanging out with us in the GOMA TeamSpeak. So of course I knew him, but the thing is, I don't recall ever having spoke to him. And I feel that these are things that you don't realize about a person until after they're gone.

The one thing I will say about Woof is that he was always so charitable with his help. If someone on NNR, for example, had an issue, he'd always be one of the first people to lend their help. That kind of generousness is an admirable trait to have, and I don't believe I ever saw someone so readily willing to help another in this community than Woof.

In eighteen years, I am not blind to the consequences of death. I've had someone I was very close to pass away before I could properly remember him. My grandmother on my father's side still isn't quite over of her son, my uncle. My grandfather on my mother's side spent his last days battling all sorts of physical ailments, to the point where his passing almost seemed like an act of mercy. And after the experience Casey and I had with one person in particular (whom some of you may already know), I think I ought to know the value of a life, any life. The thing is, on the internet, it's so easy to forget that there are people behind the things they type. WoofGM's name was Dave Reuille, and he had a wife and family. We're not inclined to know that, but it's true, and I can't imagine how the people who knew him personally are handling his loss. But for those of us who only knew him through computer screens, we have the permanent archive of things he posted. Yet it's haunting, that he was taken so suddenly from us, almost too quick for us to register it. I'll liken it to Dan Wheldon's Twitter page, his last tweet was minutes before his fatal accident. In a similar fashion, Woof's last post on NNR was only a few posts down from the thread where it was announced that he'd passed away. You never would have guessed he would have that fatal heart attack, just a day after he was helping someone with 3DSMax tire textures. To see a person alive in the words they type moments before they're gone forever is a permanent record of their last moments. It's haunting for us, but undoubtedly more so for the people he knew personally in life, their immortal words hold individual meaning to them, such that everyone else couldn't understand.

We've all been brought together to the sim-racing community through computer screens, internet connections, and a love for a 13-year-old racing simulator. Whether we recognize Woof for his work on the DW12 mod or something else entirely, he was a tremendous part of that. And so if it atones for the forgotten moments I might have exchanged with the man, I'll consider this my eulogy to him, on behalf of myself and everyone else on these boards who have similar feelings. I don't consider myself religious anymore, but where ever Woof happens to be right now, I bid thee a fond farewell and godspeed...
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top