Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.1

Post by kensethfan on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:41 pm

My first track for NR: Dallara Raceway Park, a 4 mile (6.43 km) road course that's shaped like a Dallara DW12 IndyCar.

This track is a work in progress (in hindsight, a four mile road course was a teensy bit over-zealous for my first track); as you can see from the video below it's still fairly anemic as far as appearance. Among the things missing from this release are cameras, and a various amount of track-side objects. I have made .LPs for this track, so it does have AI functionality but it's not all that great right now.

Also worth mentioning that this track was meant for .pta physics. I do have a .cup setup in the track.ini, but it hasn't been tested.

You can download the Beta Ver. 0.1 of this track here.

Various 3DO's come from tracks by/belong to to SmiffsDen, TheUSPits, Hillcrest Racing, Project Wildfire, and Redline GTP.

Known bugs:
-In certain parts of the track, if an AI car goes off, they might go into some of the track entrances that I'd so inconveniently placed and get stuck on the outside of the track. That'll be fixed. Embarassed
-AI cars spinning off/running off course in certain spots. That's the result of bad .LPs, which will be worked on.
-AI cars will sometimes get black flags for speeding on pit road entry. Not of major concern.
-AI cars my sometimes be subject to cases of ARCA brakes. Increasing panic_decel in the track.ini might help remedy that.

To be added in future releases:
-More track-side objects (Caution lights, flaggers, turn signals, etc.)
-Some track-side logos
-Invisible walls/removing some of the aforementioned track entrances
-Updated .mips
-Better .LPs
-Cameras
-Credits (which I'd forgotten to add to the track.ini before I uploaded the track to MediaFire >_<)

Enjoy! Criticisms welcome, but please bear in mind that this is my first track for NR.
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.1

Post by Cynon on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:29 pm

It looks nicer than Duluth (0.9 Duluth) and Bikernieki. Laughing

I might download this and actually make better .lps (read: .lps that I like -- and if you saw the Bikernieki AI you know what my AI are like!) for it and maybe cameras as well.

Online Wins: 20
Last Win: Short Oval Challenge @ Sayre
EFR's #1 Robby Gordon fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan

Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Cynon wrote:It looks nicer than Duluth (0.9 Duluth) and Bikernieki. Laughing

I might download this and actually make better .lps (read: .lps that I like -- and if you saw the Bikernieki AI you know what my AI are like!) for it and maybe cameras as well.

That would be much appreciated! You can clean the track up a bit if you like; add a few more .3DO's or fix some of the bugs I'd mentioned in OP. I'd been meaning to add more .3DO's to this track since I posted this but haven't out of laziness. :V

Last edited by kensethfan on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm

Looks nice, but is it based off of a top-down view of the DW12 or the Side view?
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:13 am

Mother of Invention wrote:Looks nice, but is it based off of a top-down view of the DW12 or the Side view?

Side view. I think I put a map on the track info screen. Reason for THAT is because this track was partly inspired by the "Sunob" course from the PS1 game Formula 1 '97, which has much of the same layout.

Sorry, I wasn't really sure what you were asking at first. Embarassed
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:23 am

Sunob was awesome. The track was like a roller coaster, with insane blind turns.
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John Norton on Sun May 22, 2016 10:51 pm

I tried the link provided and it goes to adfly and nothing but spam and spyware. No track!
John Norton
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

View user profile http://wildkustomcars.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz on Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm

John Norton wrote:I tried the link provided and it goes to adfly and nothing but spam and spyware. No track!

All download links head to adfly because forumotion. What you do is just copy the link and delete the adfly.com section of it.
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Mon May 23, 2016 9:18 am

bsoyuz wrote:
John Norton wrote:I tried the link provided and it goes to adfly and nothing but spam and spyware. No track!

All download links head to adfly because forumotion. What you do  is just copy the link and delete the adfly.com section of it.

What he said.

still haven't updated this lol
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Some of you might be interested to know that I have resumed work on this again. The motivating factor for that is that Cooper agreed to use this track for Formula 5 on the 22nd.

Mostly I've been cleaning up the track geometry like I'd promised; I've added curbs, redesigned some of the runoff areas, particularly in the two technical sections, and fixing the track openings so that the AI stay on the track after a spin/wreck. Generally trying to make it a little bit more structured, if you will. The main issue I'm having is with track side objects. First of all, I don't know if this happens for everyone, but gets really frustrating to have to reload the .ptf I'm Sandbox every time I want to use a new .3DO, and Sandbox likes to crash a lot (if there's any way to resolve the issue about .3DOs not loading until I reload the track, please let me know). Besides that, I'm otherwise really struggling with figuring out what objects I want to put down. That's really just a general problem, I've studies the placement of objects on other tracks for reference, and it kind of helps, but not quite enough it seems...
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

*UPDATE* Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.2

Post by kensethfan on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:31 am

At last, we have an update!

The updates I made to this track consist of geometric and graphic updates, such as to give this track more of an identity. It was inspired in part by both Road America and Watkins Glen, and aside from .3DOs from both tracks being used, the resemblance to parts of either course may also be observed. There's a tunnel underneath the entrance to Turn 4 like the esses tunnel at The Glen, and some of the runoff areas resemble those at Road America.

This was intended from the start to be a challenging track. Though the elevation changes are fairly smooth, the track is narrow, with lots of blind corners and technical sections, each with punishing curbs in the turns. You'll find the esses section on the backstretch is the most treacherous and unforgiving part of the course. The fast downhill section leaves little room for error, and any misjudgment in cornering may lead to a trip to the wall.

The main straight now has a flagman, as well as grid stalls for standing starts.

The "tunnel" underneath the entrance to Turn 4. Hasn't been textured yet, will be in the future.

New backstretch grandstands.

The hairpin looks a lot more scenic now.

New runoff in the first technical section. If you overshoot the turn, you're meant to drive around the tire barriers and rejoin on the corner exit.

There's new runoff in the second technical section as well.

A bridge on the main straight connects the outside of the track to the infield.

This I'll let speak for itself. Just wanted to pay tribute to the man on this course somehow, even if it were just a little thing.

Now, this is far from a finished track. I can't say this with certainty, but there's a good chance some of the TSOs on this track might just serve as placeholders until I can put camera stands and marshal outposts on the track's outskirts.

Will try to release the track tomorrow, I have to test it in-game still to make sure everything works like it should. Then it'll be ready for Formula 5 next Friday. Cool
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

*UPDATE* Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.2

Post by kensethfan on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.2 has been released! Grab it here!

Please let me know if you find any bugs. I'm sure there are many.

EDIT: I was able to troubleshoot a few of the bugs the track had on my own. Here's a patch for the track that comes with a .PTF update and a modified track.ini. Grab that here.
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:39 am

The aforementioned Formula 5 race that was scheduled for today was a success (GW Ben)! With that, I have a definitive list of things I need to work on for the next update:

-There's a few glitch spots with invisible walls in certain sections of the track, namely the final technical section. Not quite sure how to fix this, but Cooper tells me it's possible.
-Pit road works like it's supposed to for player cars, but AI cars don't obey pit speed until the start/finish line. Apparently it has something to do with placement of the pit stalls?
-I'd like to smooth out the elevation changes in the first few corners immediately after the esses at the end of the front straight. It wasn't that problematic in the F5 race, but the rough transitions just bother me.
-As previously mentioned, camera stands and marshal stands will be added. Cooper had offered to do the cameras themselves, which I'll leave up to him.

I was pleased to find that a lot of people had enjoyed running this track, so here's hoping Formula 5 could go here again in the not-too-distant future. Wink
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Hey Contey, is there a track layout or overview we can see? I'd love to see the layout you used.
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Mother of Invention wrote:Hey Contey, is there a track layout or overview we can see? I'd love to see the layout you used.

kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 pm

I like it!
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.3 Release

Post by kensethfan on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:52 am

Dallara Raceway Park Beta Version 0.3 has been released!

Changelog:
-Added some new .3dos, including marshal stands and camera stands, as promised. Still no actual cameras though.
-Fixed a lighting bug in one of the chicanes.
-Some updated .mips.
-Changed/replaced some billboards.
-Reassigned track surface properties to certain sections.
-Added/removed some fences, and added some tire walls. Also scaled down the size of some of the pre-existing tire walls in the nosecone section.
-Added some grip patches to help aid AI passing.
-Perfected standing starts. The AI now take the green almost instantaneously with no ill effects.
-I scattered a few hidden billboards around the edges of the track. You should be able to find all of them by just driving around outside the track. Wink
-In the event that Cooper decides to take Formula 5 back here, I've included my personal race setup from the first race we ran (Warning: For those of you not familiar, F5 runs a special .exe. That said, this setup wasn't designed for the normal .exe and would probably drive like shit on it).

Things to work on/be added in future updates:

-The track.ini still needs work. The AI pit road bug I'd previously mentioned still persists.
-As of this update, there's still a glitch spot in the nosecone section. Once I get feedback from Cooper on what to do about it I'll fix it.
-Cameras. :V
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.3.5 Release

Post by kensethfan on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:59 pm

Dallara Raceway Park Beta Ver. 0.3.5 has been released!

Changelog:

-Cameras have finally been added! TV1 could be better, TV2 looks the most polished. The spectator camera is literally just a glorified helicopter camera. Might touch the cameras up a bit for a future release.
-The AI pit road bug has now been fixed. All I had to do was rearrange some pit stalls. The glitch spot in the nosecone section is still there, though.
-New track preview shot on the race setup screen. The shot I used is of the start of the Formula 5 race we ran.
-Added the Formula 5 track record to the track info screen: A 1:56.364, set by our very own Ben Atkins.

One bug that I've been noticing with the AI is that they have a lot of problems with the couple of turns immediately after the hairpin. That alone is why the ai_inverse_slipcurve_k value is so high. Tried several times to make new race.lps to remedy the issue, but nothing's worked.
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Larson42 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:06 am

Well, now that this update has come out, should I remake my video on the track or just uploa the footage from 0.3?
Larson42
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Larson42 wrote:Well, now that this update has come out, should I remake my video on the track or just uploa the footage from 0.3?

The only .ptf updates in 0.3.5 are hardly noticable, so upload the footage from 0.3. Just put the link to 0.3.5 in your video description.
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Larson42 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Got new PC, video to be remade soon, sorry for the wait.
Larson42
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TPGRacing75 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 am

Very creative shape you got going there! You are better at designing road courses than Herman-Tilke already! I would have never thought to shape a track like an Indycar Shocked
TPGRacing75
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top