Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by NASCARLOVER427 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am

The drivers of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series comes to The Lady In Black, Darlington Raceway. With all of the retro paint schemes and the absence of the high downforce package, this could be an amazing race! Last time we saw the Cup Series out racing, Joey Logano won the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol, and last time we were at Darlington, Kevin Harvick won the 2014 Bojangles Southern 500! Woo!

Oh, and the Kyle Busch Series is also there, I guess.

Entry List Ahoy!

http://www.jayski.com/news/stats/2015/story/_/page/25-Darlington-2015-Entry-List

Also, the 1970 Southern 500 will be streamed at 8pm.

avatar
NASCARLOVER427
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 671
Join date : 2013-11-21
Age : 15
Location : Wherever He Wants

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC38X7A4OTUNE5rYROv9Bnzw

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Alta on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:23 pm

The best thing about the Xfinity race was the TV PG rating box that stayed up all race.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3966
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by kensethfan on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:01 pm

As lovely as the spectacle of tonight's race will be, I think NASCAR itself will probably be very dependent on this race to not suck. They can't afford for this race to be lackluster when they've already fallen behind tremendously with TV ratings, and furthermore, when they've marketed races like the Brickyard as a big deal when the end product has been dismal. Here's to hoping they pull through.
avatar
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Pyrozooka0 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:15 pm

For the purposes of participating in the throwback fun, I encourage you to picture EFR in it's old layout. Very Happy


Also: THE HYPE IS REAL!!!!!

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 577
Join date : 2012-09-22
Location : Aboard the Battlebots 2015 Hype Train

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Moffitt hits the wall and Cole Whitt collects him and Chase has no where to go but into him.

ALSO RETRO COMMERCIALS!!!
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2675
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by RealRacer4 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:13 pm

You know, I don't think I've been this excited about watching a Cup race in a long time. Just hearing Ken Squier and Ned Jarrett call a NASCAR race one last time made my night. I really hope NASCAR keeps this as a yearly tradition. The throwback schemes on the cars, uniforms, TV graphics, etc.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by navycook75 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:17 pm

That throwback commentary was awesome.


I would of loved them call the finish though.
avatar
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Posts : 4910
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 28
Location : Portland, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Pyrozooka0 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Ken Squire wove the most beautiful tapestry of words I've ever heard in anything to do with NASCAR.



They better bring the retro guys back in for the finish.

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 577
Join date : 2012-09-22
Location : Aboard the Battlebots 2015 Hype Train

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by bigdc48 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:26 pm

That was the best piece of commentary I've ever heard in a long time. Great to see Ken Squire, Ned and Dale Jarrett calling some of the race. This throwback thing has been awesome.
avatar
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 909
Join date : 2012-10-05
Age : 24
Location : Manchester, NH (near Boston)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by bigdc48 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:49 pm

There goes that lovely paint job of the #17.
avatar
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 909
Join date : 2012-10-05
Age : 24
Location : Manchester, NH (near Boston)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:53 pm

Thanks for killing the race with that b.s caution!!!

Gave the win to JGR!
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2675
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by BooyakaDragon on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:53 pm

Edwards plz.

And a non-throwback wins the throwback race. A little bit anti-climatic.....
avatar
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Posts : 398
Join date : 2013-11-06
Location : Germany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Mother of Invention on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Reject of the race: Jeb Burton


I hope Denny throws him under a bus and runs over him a few times (metaphorically of course Razz )
avatar
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2011-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:04 am

My thoughts on the Bojangles Southern 500 @ Darlington:

Solid. Could've been better.

We once again saw the low downforce package this race, and while it produced some good racing at certain points, much like before at Kentucky, there were WAY, WAY, WAY TOO MANY CAUTION FLAGS. When you have eighteen cautions in a 500 mile race, that's a bit much, even for Darlington. And yeah, that last caution really wasn't necessary, but what else do you expect from NASCAR at this point? And it turned the finish into an anti-climactic snooze fest. Way to go, NASCAR. (golf clap)

One of the best parts of the night was when Ken Squire and both Ned and Dale Jarrett called the race up in the booth for a while. That was pretty awesome, and perfect for the throwback weekend.

Good job by Cousin Carl. He was two laps down at one point, but he made them up and put on one heck of a show at the front. Of course, the pit crew stepped up when it counted, and Carl getting off pit road first won him the race. Good win for Edwards, and a nice backflip to boot. This is just his second win of the year, but both have been crown jewels, so I'd say he's having a pretty damn good season after a bit of a rough start.

My final rating for the Bojangles Southern 500 @ Darlington:

I originally had this scored as a 4.5, but after going back and taking a second look at some things, I decided that I had underrated things a bit, so the score has been revised to a 7/10. The racing was solid at quite a few points, and even though the finish was ruined, it was still another solid outing by the low downforce package. I still don't think it was the best race of the year, but it was alright, and it was a better Southern 500 than we've seen in recent years.

Next week, we head to Richmond for the regular season finale.


Last edited by PackerMan71 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:36 am; edited 3 times in total
avatar
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2582
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Lucstar88 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:08 am

4.5/10

Are you stupid.

Race was a 7 at least. Just because of a bad caution, and drivers actually driving their cars.
Lots of great racing, strategy (Tires running out). Fun all around.

Best race of the year. This package has to stay.

No wonder nobody takes your rankings serious.
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2675
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:14 am

Lucstar88 wrote:4.5/10

Are you stupid.

Race was a 7 at least. Just because of a bad caution, and drivers actually driving their cars.
Lots of great racing, strategy (Tires running out). Fun all around.

Best race of the year. This package has to stay.

No wonder nobody takes your rankings serious.
With an attitude like that, I'm not obligated to take you seriously, either.

Either that, or you're just that intolerant of other people's opinions, which is pretty sad, to be honest. Neutral
avatar
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2582
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by kensethfan on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:16 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm unimpressed by NASCAR's decision to throw that caution and ruin a good attrition race to the end, but to address the people buttmad about that finish, are you really going to let THAT completely ruin what was otherwise the best race of the season for NASCAR? Yeah, maybe that caution was unwarranted, but at least it wasn't for something stupid like debris.

GW Edwards. A fitting return to Labor Day weekend for Darlington. The segment that Ken Squier and the two Jarretts commentated was magical.
avatar
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Alta on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:18 am

Great race. Just a lot fun all around and really brought out the driver track that Darlington has thrived off of over the years...Albeit i did want to see Kez and Harvick brawl to the end because they both were just completely out of everything but what they brung. I'm with cool with the finish.

Edwards gets the win...Booo not a throwback, but it's cool. Gotta bring this for the 2016 season, might bring back interest in the bland cookie-cutter portion of the schedule.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3966
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by kensethfan on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 am

Alta wrote:Great race. Just a lot fun all around and really brought out the driver track that Darlington has thrived off of over the years...Albeit i did want to see Kez and Harvick brawl to the end because they both were just completely out of everything but what they brung. I'm with cool with the finish.

Edwards gets the win...Booo not a throwback, but it's cool. Gotta bring this for the 2016 season, might bring back interest in the bland cookie-cutter portion of the schedule.

Maybe Edwards will run a Loy Allen, Jr. throwback scheme next year. Razz
avatar
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:22 am

kensethfan wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm unimpressed by NASCAR's decision to throw that caution and ruin a good attrition race to the end, but to address the people buttmad about that finish, are you really going to let THAT completely ruin what was otherwise the best race of the season for NASCAR? Yeah, maybe that caution was unwarranted, but at least it wasn't for something stupid like debris.

GW Edwards. A fitting return to Labor Day weekend for Darlington. The segment that Ken Squier and the two Jarretts commentated was magical.
I completely forgot about the Ken Squier/Jarretts segment. Well, damn.

Okay, putting that in, along with looking back at the race, okay, maybe I'll revise the score just a bit.

Best race of the year, though? I wouldn't go that far, IMO.
avatar
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2582
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Lucstar88 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:25 am

PackerMan71 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:4.5/10

Are you stupid.

Race was a 7 at least. Just because of a bad caution, and drivers actually driving their cars.
Lots of great racing, strategy (Tires running out). Fun all around.

Best race of the year. This package has to stay.

No wonder nobody takes your rankings serious.
With an attitude like that, I'm not obligated to take you seriously, either.

Either that, or you're just that intolerant of other people's opinions, which is pretty sad, to be honest. Neutral

I'm not intolerant, I really think you're way wrong in this situation. Hating a really good race just because the finish was bad (Which I agree) doesn't make the whole race bad. The low down-force package make these drivers actually drive. Pocono in Indycar had lots of caution, race was freaking great also!! So nice contradiction, you gave it a 9 while Darlington always has been a beating and banging racetrack, yet you score this a 4.5? I can't recall any race this year in cup that was way better!

avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2675
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Tanrar on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 am

PackerMan71 wrote:
kensethfan wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm unimpressed by NASCAR's decision to throw that caution and ruin a good attrition race to the end, but to address the people buttmad about that finish, are you really going to let THAT completely ruin what was otherwise the best race of the season for NASCAR? Yeah, maybe that caution was unwarranted, but at least it wasn't for something stupid like debris.

GW Edwards. A fitting return to Labor Day weekend for Darlington. The segment that Ken Squier and the two Jarretts commentated was magical.
I completely forgot about the Ken Squier/Jarretts segment. Well, damn.

Okay, putting that in, along with looking back at the race, okay, maybe I'll revise the score just a bit.

Best race of the year, though? I wouldn't go that far, IMO.

You serious? That was easily best race of cup in 2015. Every other race this year has been mediocre at best. The road courses have been underwhelming this year, the superspeedways have been clusterfucks, the cookie cutters are suicide-inducing, and the short tracks haven't been stellar.


Last edited by Tanrar on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Tanrar
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1069
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 22
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by navycook75 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 am

Race was pretty fun to watch.

Glad drivers agree that the package should be the one used.

had a ball listening to the throwback commentary. Age hasn't slowed them down one bit.
avatar
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Posts : 4910
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 28
Location : Portland, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:58 am

Lucstar88 wrote:
PackerMan71 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:4.5/10

Are you stupid.

Race was a 7 at least. Just because of a bad caution, and drivers actually driving their cars.
Lots of great racing, strategy (Tires running out). Fun all around.

Best race of the year. This package has to stay.

No wonder nobody takes your rankings serious.
With an attitude like that, I'm not obligated to take you seriously, either.

Either that, or you're just that intolerant of other people's opinions, which is pretty sad, to be honest. Neutral

I'm not intolerant, I really think you're way wrong in this situation. Hating a really good race just because the finish was bad (Which I agree) doesn't make the whole race bad. The low down-force package make these drivers actually drive. Pocono in Indycar had lots of caution, race was freaking great also!! So nice contradiction, you gave it a 9 while Darlington always has been a beating and banging racetrack, yet you score this a 4.5? I can't recall any race this year in cup that was way better!
(sigh)

Okay, I went back and I took a second look, and I'll admit, I was wrong about how I rated the race, so it has been revised to a 7. There were several factors I forgot to include, including the Squier/Jarretts segment where they were in commentary, and how the number of sets of tires were affecting strategies in the race. And there was some good racing as well. The number of cautions and the finish brought it down some, but maybe it's just been the fact that NASCAR has sucked quite a bit this year, while IndyCar had a stellar year, so giving NASCAR a below average score had become a force of habit, as much as I hate to admit it.

Let's get one thing straight, Luc. I'm not mad that you said that I'm wrong, because I want objectors to my opinions. If we agreed all the time, we wouldn't have anything to talk about, so disagreeing with me is fine.

But in all seriousness, your attitude toward me and my opinion was f**king atrocious. Calling me stupid and basically talking down to me like I don't know shit about racing really pissed me off, and the attitude you displayed in the follow-up post wasn't any better. Now, I admitted I was wrong and I made the corrections to the score I gave after reading your point of view, and I'll also admit, you made some good points in your argument, but next time, as Cooper himself once said, show some class instead of being an ass, because copping an attitude toward an opinion you don't agree with makes it hard for me to want to listen to what you have to say in the future. Just sayin'.

@Tanrar: I'm not denying it was a solid race. I just don't think it was the best race of the year, IMO. If you think it was, hey, more power to you. Angelic
avatar
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2582
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by BooyakaDragon on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:19 am

Bristol 1 and 2, Richmond (Though only because I was there, was a great race from the stands), Kentucky and Darlington are the only races I've enjoyed this season.
avatar
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Posts : 398
Join date : 2013-11-06
Location : Germany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by bigdc48 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:29 am

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to there opinions, so my opinion on this race:

It was awesome. Hearing Ken Squire, Ned and Dale Jarrett brought back some memories for sure. The throwback schemes were on point.

Keselowski had the best car, but Edwards ended up winning with a fast pit crew. Honestly, I don't like him that much, but nonetheless good win. The racing was fantastic. A 7.0/10 to me.
avatar
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 909
Join date : 2012-10-05
Age : 24
Location : Manchester, NH (near Boston)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by Pyrozooka0 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:27 pm

I say this race was a good 8.8/10, maybe even a 9.

For another throwback: AWARDS!

Failure of the Race: The 12 tire set limit
I Got Screwed: The fans get this one, for not getting to see Josh Wise's epic Ricky Craven throwback due to DNQ.

Special Awards:

Best Throwback: Kyle Larson's Days of Thunder/ Kyle Petty scheme
(Runners Up: Trevor Bayne's Mark Martin scheme, Tony Stewart's scheme based off the first Bass Pro Shop boat)
Most Excessive Darlington Stripe: Matt Kenseth

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 577
Join date : 2012-09-22
Location : Aboard the Battlebots 2015 Hype Train

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern 500! (and Xfinity.)

Post by conrail1990 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:47 pm

I was enjoying this race a lot. But my biggest issue was with the race running really long due to the heavy amount of cautions.
avatar
conrail1990
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1062
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 27
Location : The Cal-de-sac (Delaware)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum