Coke Zero 400 - NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Coke Zero 400 - NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Post by PYLrulz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:51 am

Calling it.  15+ years ago, Dillon is DOA.  I've NEVER seen a car hit a catch fence and come to a dead stop like that.  EVER
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:51 am

I'm gonna be honest, when i saw Dale's crew run over to the 3, I thought he was dead. THANK GOD he's okay!!!
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:52 am

Someone is going to get killed at this place. If we're going to insist on using restrictor plates, can we at least review the rules package so maybe the field can spread out so these kind of crashes don't happen so often?

Thankfully Dillon walked away. Bad flashbacks from that one.
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:57 am

Never mind, Hamlin. Harvick's the moron.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:02 am

crl wrote:Never mind, Hamlin. Harvick's the moron.
I don't think it's as much Harvick being a moron, it was just last lap racing on a restrictor plate race.
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by conrail1990 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:02 am

Thank god the fans injured, only received minor injuries. Not that any fans getting hurt is a good thing. The amount of catch fence incidents since 2008 is frankly too many. I understand plate racing is extreme and airborne cars are expected. But a fan or fans will be killed if the racing does not calm down.
conrail1990
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 am

conrail1990 wrote:Thank god the fans injured, only received minor injuries. Not that any fans getting hurt is a good thing. The amount of catch fence incidents since 2008 is frankly too many. I understand plate racing is extreme and airborne cars are expected. But a fan or fans will be killed if the racing does not calm down.

Thankfully, that's why Daytona Rising is a thing. They raised all the seats up so that the fans are away enough to not get a piece.
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 am

NASCAR needs to find a way to spread these cars out though.  I don't give a damn if "fans" whine that Daytona and Talladega would become "supersized Californias and Michigans".  Pack racing, be it Indy or NASCAR, is just unacceptable.  It can be fun to watch, but if something goes wrong...
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 am

Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:16 am

Sparkz47 wrote:
Knee jerk reactions?!?  This isn't a one time thing.  This has happened too many damn times, just this time around, it involved a car hitting a catch fence.

I stand by what I said
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:23 am

Looking at that wreck, I'd really say that was more of a last lap freak accident than anything, although that looked like a carbon copy of Kyle Larson's crash there in 2013. Can't believe Dillon walked away from that, but glad he did anyway, because no one likes seeing anybody get hurt or killed.
BWard
Legend
Legend

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:43 am

That wreck was disgusting, glad Austin is still with us after that.

Wild stuff.
Alta
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:46 am

Watching the post press conference and Jr looks like he is about to cry, he's shaken up bad.
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:05 am

BooyakaDragon wrote:Watching the post press conference and Jr looks like he is about to cry, he's shaken up bad.

Jeff Gordon even sounded quite shaken at what he had seen in his post race interview.
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:30 am

Johnson said he's shocked Dillon's still alive.

crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 am

Cars are not supposed to do that!

CARS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!

(ok...calming down...)

I hate to sound like I'm spouting a cliche, but the safety innovations made in the last few years (and yes, the COT/Gen6 is part of this) are the reason Austin Dillon walked away from what might be the worst Daytona wreck of the last 30 years. (Yes, I'm counting Richard Petty and Geoff Bodine in this.)
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:31 am

Austin Dillon proved no-one is going to die in NASCAR in the foreseeable future. That was about the worst wreck you can have at a restrictor plate track, and he walked away.

Saying that, this crashes seem to be a recurring theme. It was only two years ago Larson shredded the catchfence down in the tri-oval, and Edwards slammed the catchfence at Talladega about six years ago too. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but I feel like the track need to move the fans back from the catchfence to keep them safe. I'm worried about the fans, not the drivers at this point.

NR2003 Online Wins: 121 (Latest - EFR Short Track Challenge at Abbotsford Speedway [06/08/17])
NR2003 Online Poles: 80 (Latest - EFR Short Track Challenge at Abbotsford Speedway [06/08/17])
iRacing Online Offical Wins: 19 (Latest - NASCAR Trucks at Daytona [06/30/17])
NR2003 Championships: 6 (2013/2014 GOMA Trucks, Formula 5 Season 12, 2014 GOMA Trucks, Formula 5 Season 13, Formula 5 Season 14, Formula 5 Season 16)

Nico Nico Nii.
Ben Atkins
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrogradeRenegade on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:55 am

Regardless, the way that car suddenly came to a stop in the catchfence is not at all safe. Somebody needs to find a better catchfence which dissipates the energy better, and also not allowing parts to go into the stands. Just because Dillon walked away with just some bruising does not mean the next driver will be so lucky.
RetrogradeRenegade
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 am

Cardinals5 wrote:Someone is going to get killed at this place. If we're going to insist on using restrictor plates, can we at least review the rules package so maybe the field can spread out so these kind of crashes don't happen so often?

Thankfully Dillon walked away. Bad flashbacks from that one.
They did that, from 2007 until last year with the tandem drafting. But people don't like drivers being able to pass each other, so this is the crap we get instead :/

I've decided I'm going to start selling insurance to ticket holders on the front stretches of Daytona and Talladega. I'll make a killing. 30,000+ ticket holders in one area, and only 5-20 get injured by debris every race.
Mystrsyko
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrozooka0 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 am

Sparkz47 wrote:

Agreed. Accidents happen. The same arguement being made for pack racing being unsafe applies to ALL racing.

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Coming to the checkers I kind of called it, just never expected that.

Glad Dillon and the fans are alright.
navycook75
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
Because being worried for a driver's well-being is a bad thing. Neutral
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Jr.'s radio; go to the 2:30 mark for the end of the race, and crash reaction:

crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 pm

crl wrote:Jr.'s radio; go to the 2:30 mark for the end of the race, and crash reaction:
Pretty much says it all right there.
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:26 pm

crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:14 am

PackerMan71 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Nothing wrong with being worried, but folks immediately throwing around "ban this ban that" within a few minutes of the incident is pretty rash I think, especially when no one was seriously hurt.

I'm not a big fan of plate racing either, and I do think they package should be looked at, but I don't see how turning Daytona and Talladega into glorified cookie-cutters is going to help anything.
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:51 am

Sparkz47 wrote:
PackerMan71 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Nothing wrong with being worried, but folks immediately throwing around "ban this ban that" within a few minutes of the incident is pretty rash I think, especially when no one was seriously hurt.

I'm not a big fan of plate racing either, and I do think they package should be looked at, but I don't see how turning Daytona and Talladega into glorified cookie-cutters is going to help anything.

But it's certainly unacceptable for guys to be racing 2, 3, 4 wide like that all the time. Even a couple laps after a restart, things aren't bunched up like that. I've said it, the races can be fun to watch, but there has to be a better alternative.
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 am

It was just unfortunate that the accident happened where it was. Part of the Daytona Rising project is moving the fans back, and higher, in the hope of having little to no spectator injuries as possible. The reason I say it was unfortunate that the accident happened where it was is because the same grandstand on the other side of the finish line is renovated. If they started renovations between SF line and turn 1 first, they'd be no fans there because they'd be on the other side.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

View user profile http://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:02 pm

I know this is a bit late, but I was finally able to watch the race in full, so I can now give my review on the Coke Zero 400 @ Daytona.

My first two thoughts on the race: DALE JR! and HOLY SHIT DILLON!, which I’ll get to in a little bit.

Gilliland causing a big wreck on just the 3rd lap of the race is a big reason why this guy hasn’t been offered a ride with one of the big name teams. He also brought out the fourth caution of the day, although it was not really his fault due to a tire going flat.

One of the first things I noticed early on was the average speed these guys were racing at. Almost 200 miles per hour in the draft every lap is pretty nuts.

Tough break for Kyle Busch when he caught the wall on Lap 17, although he did recover to get a 17th place finish.

One thing I noticed early on was that all of the Hendrick cars were very strong, in particular, Dale Jr. and Jimmie Johnson, and it showed, as the both of them led over 75 % of the race, and it was pretty clear as it came down to crunch time that the race would probably be decided by these two. It seemed like the only car who could challenge the 88 and 48 was Denny Hamlin, who’s been strong at Daytona the past couple of years.

Another thing of note was that turn four seemed to be calamity corner in this race. Gilliland was example #1. Example #2 was Carl Edwards getting loose by himself off of turn four and spinning it into the inside wall, which pretty much ruined his day. Of course, it only got worse for him when he was rammed in the ass by Brian Scott as he was trying to avoid the Kyle Larson spinning out. I guess that’s one way to make a Subway sandwich. XD

Of course, from my perspective, watching Johnson leading most of the first quarter of the race was pretty bleh, which made me say ‘When are we gonna get to the point where Jr. is leading?’, which, ironically enough, came on the pit stops under the Carl Edwards caution. XD

Another thing I noticed was how strong Jr.’s car was on restarts, especially when he was out front. He seemed to be able to put some distance on the rest of the cars behind.

The weird moment of the race was when the caution lights were on around Lap 65, but the caution was not thrown due to some type of malfunction or something with the lights, and Clint Bowyer was not happy about it, and it strung the field out and turned it into a single file choo-choo train. Definitely a WTF moment.

The beginning part of the second half of the race was pretty dicey back in the pack, while Denny Hamlin dominated this portion of the race.
Example #3 of turn four being calamity corner happened when Matt Kenseth got loose when Kasey Kahne took the air off of the rear spoiler and the carnage was on once again. Kahne, Truex, Keselowski and Larson all had their nights ruined by this accident.

Of course, once Jr. got out in front in the final quarter of the race, nobody could get around him. Not even a green-white-checkered could stop Jr. from scoring his 25th career Cup win, his 16th victory at Daytona, and combined with Dale Sr.’s 34 wins, this race was the 50th Earnhardt victory at Daytona.

But of course, the talk of the week isn’t Jr.’s big win. It’s what happened after the checkered flag.

Right as they crossed the line, Hamlin got loose and spun out, backing right into the #3 of Austin Dillon and LAUNCHED that car over two rows of cars and hit bottom first against the catch fence, but the fact that the car went from basically 170+ miles per hour to decelerating to zero in the blink of an eye was the scary part, because we all know it’s that rapid deceleration that causes those basilar skull fractures that have proven to be fatal in the past. Not only that, but Dillon was struck by the spinning car of Keselowski in the driver side. The fact that he walked away with just a bruised tailbone is amazing to me and showcases just how far the safety of these race cars have come.

My final rating for the 2015 Coke Zero 400 @ Daytona:

Honestly, I found this race to be pretty entertaining, especially with Jr. leading, and the final 20 laps were definitely more exciting to watch than Talladega was. I’ll give this race a solid 7.0/10. I know some people might not agree, but whatever. I enjoyed it, and thank goodness that Dillon is okay after that wreck. IMO, I think he’s trash as a driver, but you never want to see a driver get hurt in a wreck like that.

The next race on the docket is… (sigh) …Kentucky. Oh, boy! [/sarcasm]
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:52 am

I heard nothing of this accident until days after it took place when I returned from vacation. I think that I would have been absolutely terrified if I were to have watched Dillon's wreck unfold live. Without a doubt, it was the most violent-looking crash that I have ever seen during my life (I say "violent-looking" because a lot of energy was dissipated and Dillon was obviously unharmed). I would almost think that a catchfence would give way instead of stopping a full-speed car as suddenly as it did, and it's a very good thing that it held! That fence withstood one of the worst impacts that I've ever seen one take.

There is an unfortunate downside to the catchfence, however, in that it lets pieces of disintegrating cars pass through and fly into the grandstands. Although as far as I'm aware there are no barriers that would allow spectators to view a race that can keep everything on the racetrack side of it, and I'm really unsure as to what could. Hopefully a way to eliminate this danger will be realized/implemented in the future.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top