2015 Daytona 500

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2015 Daytona 500

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 pm

bsoyuz wrote:And for those wondering why the yellow, simple, someone got injured last night, so say the least, one of the top drivers, are they going to say have at it boys, injure someone else, and get more bad news, of course not.

This is going to sound harsh, but NASCAR and its fans need to toughen up. I don't want people to get hurt, but this hyper-safety approach is ridiculous and it's severely impacting the series. If people aren't prepared for the possibility of injury, then they shouldn't be racing.

I'd rather have a more dangerous series with better racing than a safer series with shit racing.
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
bsoyuz wrote:And for those wondering why the yellow, simple, someone got injured last night, so say the least, one of the top drivers, are they going to say have at it boys, injure someone else, and get more bad news, of course not.

This is going to sound harsh, but NASCAR and its fans need to toughen up. I don't want people to get hurt, but this hyper-safety approach is ridiculous and it's severely impacting the series. If people aren't prepared for the possibility of injury, then they shouldn't be racing.

I'd rather have a more dangerous series with better racing than a safer series with shit racing.

Racing was fine, just because we got a caution, cancelling a finish that means it sucked?

Hell, if Dale Junior was in the lead, A LOT of people would've said Great Call!!!!

Safety first, rather have this and be considered *not tough* than see someone die!
Lucstar88
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:

I prefer to have a shit series than people getting hurt. They're still human beings.
bsoyuz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vbooy57 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Racing was fine, just because we got a caution, cancelling a finish that means it sucked?

Hell, if Dale Junior was in the lead, A LOT of people would've said Great Call!!!!

Safety first, rather have this and be considered *not tough* than see someone die!
I too care more about an athlete's safety over my own momentary entertaintment
vbooy57
Race Winner
Race Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

I just want to see a legitimate finish. I guess you could consider me biased, though; In my opinion, they never should have done away with racing back to the line.

A believe that a top racing series should have a reasonable amount of risk. It's what drives competition and technology forward, and draws crowds to the stands. If I wanted to watch everyone all nice and cozy and safe, I could go down to the local funzone and watch kids drive around on the go-karts.

Making sure the risk is within reason is completely understandable, but when it's constantly interrupting and drawing focus away from the racing and innovation, it's a problem.
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 pm

My impressions on the Daytona 500:

Honestly, it was a pretty solid race, for the most part, except for the first portion of the race, when Gordon was dominating, but it was mainly drivers getting their legs under them for the most part.

Thankfully, there was not as much failure as there was in the Truck and Xfinity races, at least until the Big One on the last lap. Sucks that that had to happen, but it's a running theme with restrictor plate tracks, so it is what it is.

It was really getting intense near the end of the race before that green-white-checkered. Three wide for the lead? For like five consecutive laps? Damn. If that doesn't take your breath away, I don't know what does.

I know a lot of people on here don't like Logano all that much, and I felt the same way for a while, but I've become indifferent with him since he's finally started living up to his potential. It took Kyle Busch a while to get going himself, since Kyle was rushed up to Cup, so naturally it would take a while for Logano to get going as well, and man, he's really shown that he is a top level talent, whether you love him or hate him.

And hey, from my point of view, it wasn't Jimmie Johnson, so its all good. Laughing

My rating for the 2015 Daytona 500 is a 6.5/10. Didn't really knock my socks off, but it was a solid start to the season. Having the race end under caution did hurt it a little bit, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

The next race is the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 @ Atlanta Motor Speedway. My early prediction: Atlanta's kind of hit or miss, but it'll be interesting to see how this race turns out since this is the first time that an Atlanta race follows the Daytona 500.
PackerMan71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Another good point is when you throw a caution, safety crew goes out, helps the drivers, track gets more congested. More dangerous for the drivers not in the cars, and mostly the safety crew.
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:Another good point is when you throw a caution, safety crew goes out, helps the drivers, track gets more congested. More dangerous for the drivers not in the cars, and mostly the safety crew.

But they're not racing through there again! They had passed the crash. The safety crews can go ahead; the race ends a good mile from the crash site.
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:Another good point is when you throw a caution, safety crew goes out, helps the drivers, track gets more congested. More dangerous for the drivers not in the cars, and mostly the safety crew.

But they're not racing through there again! They had passed the crash. The safety crews can go ahead; the race ends a good mile from the crash site.

Cool down lap... no way they want safety crew in the way. Especially if someone gets hurt in the wreck.
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Cool down lap... no way they want safety crew in the way. Especially if someone gets hurt in the wreck.

The drivers have steering wheels, they know how to drive around the wreck. They would have to do that under a normal caution flag anyway.
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
crl wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:
crl wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:Joey Logano wins!!!!!

Had to throw the yellow, too many cars wrecked, last night had two so....

Great Race!!!

It happened on the backstretch. They could've let them race back.

Yep, they were headed into turn four by the time the yellow waved. Absolutely no reason for them not to race back.

Last Night we had 2 cars wreck, we had 8+.... They had too!!!!

No, they did not.

Let someone get hurt racing back, that's great for the sport Very Happy *Sarcasm*

See below. Maybe get off the high horse for a change. That'd be nice.

Sparkz47 wrote:

Heaven forbid there be some risk involved so that the drivers learn not to drive like morons... so that any moves they do make become appreciated for the danger involved instead of letting the driving standards deteriorate to Open Spedway level. Had Kyle Busch not been hurt I wouldn't be surprised if we get intentional wrecking at restrictor plate tracks in 5 years.

For the record, I really didn't have much of a reaction to the race. I wasn't bored in the last quarter of the race, but I wasn't exactly enthralled, either. Better than the usual Daytona race, in other words.

Online Wins: 19
Last Win: Formula 5 @ Vancouver, WA
EFR's #1 Robby Gordon fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan

Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BWardboy88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:

This. It doesn't matter how safe the cars and tracks are these days, NASCAR will always be a dangerous sport. With drivers running at tracks like Daytona, Auto Club, Atlanta and Talladega, speeds at the very least top out at over 200mph, with the drivers on the edge to push as hard as they can to gain time during a race, with no room for error whatsoever. This Speedweeks has shown a perfect example of that, and that Racing will never be 100% safe no matter what they do.
BWardboy88

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Johnny Sauter got an 18th and made it through the wreck, that is something I can personally celebrate lol.
BooyakaDragon
Race Winner
Race Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:08 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

This. It doesn't matter how safe the cars and tracks are these days, NASCAR will always be a dangerous sport. With drivers running at tracks like Daytona, Auto Club, Atlanta and Talladega, speeds at the very least top out at over 200mph, with the drivers on the edge to push as hard as they can to gain time during a race, with no room for error whatsoever. This Speedweeks has shown a perfect example of that, and that Racing will never be 100% safe no matter what they do.

Racing is dangerous don't get me wrong, but you can't disregard driver safety, like Hamlin and Kyle Busch, Busch would've likely been okay if he didn't hit a concrete wall.... Stuff will happened, but why not prepare for it?
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Racing is dangerous don't get me wrong, but you can't disregard driver safety, like Hamlin and Kyle Busch, Busch would've likely been okay if he didn't hit a concrete wall.... Stuff will happened, but why not prepare for it?

If "preparing for it" involves watering down the product, I'll have none of it. Danger had played a significant part in the development and appeal of racing for decades. Taking precautions is fine, but overbearing safety policies like the ones in place in NASCAR and F1 do more harm than good to the sport.
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BWardboy88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

The deal there is that they wouldn't have expected someone to go careening into that wall at that part of the track where Kyle Busch hit, in almost identical fashion to Denny Hamlin at Fontana in 2013. How do you think they could've known that Kyle Busch was gonna head to that wall at such a part of the track like that?
BWardboy88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:16 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

If "preparing for it" involves watering down the product, I'll have none of it. Danger had played a significant part in the development and appeal of racing for decades. Taking precautions is fine, but overbearing safety policies like the ones in place in NASCAR and F1 do more harm than good to the sport.

In my honest opinion, how is putting a safer barrier where Hamlin/Busch hit *watering the product*? It's not like they're doing a car of tommorow type of safety. There's still danger in NASCAR don't get me wrong but I just don't want to see another injury that could've been avoided.
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:21 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

The deal there is that they wouldn't have expected someone to go careening into that wall at that part of the track where Kyle Busch hit, in almost identical fashion to Denny Hamlin at Fontana in 2013. How do you think they could've known that Kyle Busch was gonna head to that wall at such a part of the track like that?

Cars hit anything and everything, after the Hamlin incident, you'd think they would've realized *Heh, let's make sure that if a car hits at a location, make sure it doesn't injure the guy, that wall at Daytona was concrete, you always see cars turned there, sometime, one's going to have a nasty accident there. 400 Millions dollars to upgrade the speedway, and no tire barrier or safer barrier? Why? A lot of drivers chewed out DIS last night for that reason. I'm just worried that's all Sad
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:26 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

In my honest opinion, how is putting a safer barrier where Hamlin/Busch hit *watering the product*? It's not like they're doing a car of tommorow type of safety. There's still danger in NASCAR don't get me wrong but I just don't want to see another injury that could've been avoided.

Not necessarily pertaining to that particular incident, but it's like Cy said, if drivers know they can just spin and cut off people and fling each other around the track like idiots because there's no danger, then the quality drastically declines. The drivers back in the 60's and 70's were masters of their craft and heroes because they didn't play games. They knew that any stupid moves could end in disaster, so the quality of racing stayed high.

It's still true today with Irish road racing, such as the IOM TT, the Ulster GP, and the North West 200. Those riders are the most skilled on the planet and provide unbelievable racing because they know that falling off on one of those courses isn't pretty. They take the racing seriously.

Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Not necessarily pertaining to that particular incident, but it's like Cy said, if drivers know they can just spin and cut off people and fling each other around the track like idiots because there's no danger, then the quality drastically declines. The drivers back in the 60's and 70's were masters of their craft and heroes because they didn't play games. They knew that any stupid moves could end in disaster, so the quality of racing stayed high.

It's still true today with Irish road racing, such as the IOM TT, the Ulster GP, and the North West 200. Those riders are the most skilled on the planet and provide unbelievable racing because they know that falling off on one of those courses isn't pretty. They take the racing seriously.

Last couple of years, NASCAR has had a lot of good racing. Look at Chicagoland. Larson, Harvick and Kes were racing the heck out of each other, they didn't want to wreck, and didn't... Idiots who wreck the will get called out, losing respect in the garage, and from the sponsors also... Just because they won't get hurt (likely) doesn't mean they'll act stupid, they don't want to kill a perfectly good race-car, hurting the team, especially the back-half of the field.
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Just a random thought, injuries are so rare now-a-days that it comes as a shock to people and drivers.
Alta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

Last couple of years, NASCAR has had a lot of good racing. Look at Chicagoland. Larson, Harvick and Kes were racing the heck out of each other, they didn't want to wreck, and didn't... Idiots who wreck the  will get called out, losing respect in the garage, and from the sponsors also... Just because they won't get hurt (likely) doesn't mean they'll act stupid, they don't want to kill a perfectly good race-car, hurting the team, especially the back-half of the field.

A fear of a wrecked car or sponsorship loss is nowhere near the sensation of self-preservation. A driver who knows he is not immortal is a focused one.

Beyond that, a consequence of this safety culture is that the restrictions placed on teams across motorsports are ridiculously limited. Modern technology can produce speeds and performance far beyond what we see on track today, but they're never implemented because the powers that be won't dare to let the teams take a risk. So, they assume control of all the teams' developments to maintain the norm.

And there's also the fact that danger is impressive. I'll once again use the Isle of Man TT as an example. No one who attends the race wants to see a rider dead in a field, but it's the admiration for the skill and bravery of the riders that makes it a spectacle. These guys fly past stone walls, mail boxes, and light posts on bikes up to 200mph, it's breathtaking. Many of the riders have openly stated that if the race wasn't dangerous, they wouldn't compete.

I'm not saying all series need to be exactly like the TT, but this quest to remove any and all risk from modern motorsport is crazy, in my opinion. Without risk, the whole concept of the sport is compromised.
Sparkz47
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zfitzwater599 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Nascar doesn't take safety seriously
zfitzwater599
Race Winner
Race Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Alta wrote:Just a random thought, injuries are so rare now-a-days that it comes as a shock to people and drivers.

The NXS cars aren't as safe as say the Gen5 COT, I bet if Micheal McDowell had his crash in a NNS Car he'd be int he hospital, likewise I bet Micheal Annett wouldn't have hurt his back a few years ago if that crash he had was in a COT.
Mother of Invention

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:40 pm

By the way...

Dale Junior has 8 Top-3 finishes in 16 races at the 500 O_O
Lucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:37 am

In response to Sparkz's comments about the safety crews being ahead of the wreck, and drivers having steering wheels to avoid safety crews with.

Edit: And also whoever made the comment about bringing back the race back to the line rule

Overall though it looked like a classic restrictor plate race. Long green flag runs, lots of biding of time, and some good side by side and three wide racing throughout.
Mystrsyko
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 am

I don't understand what all the arguing's about. There were still cars coming when the caution was thrown, and some of the cars in it hit hard. And furthermore, whether or not the yellow came out, it really wouldn't have made a difference. To reiterate, Harvick wasn't going to catch Logano without any help. At the very least, I understand people being mad at Austin Dillon for trying to be Yolo Swaggins on the last lap and destroying eight cars.
kensethfan
Legend
Legend

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 am

kensethfan wrote:I don't understand what all the arguing's about.

It's more of a "healthy debate" than an argument, per se, and it's been pretty clean for the most part, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

When it comes to the concept of driver safety versus the quality of the product, there's always gonna be split arguments. From my perspective, you can't have one improve without compromising the other, so it's a very fine balance that NASCAR has to figure out, and it's a moving target every year. Will motor racing ever be completely safe? No, and it's unrealistic to think otherwise. Can it be made safer? Absolutely, and the Xfinity race yesterday was a prime example of that. If safer barriers were set up where Busch had wrecked, the likelihood of suffering a broken leg would've been drastically reduced. Instead, his 2015 season has been pretty much ruined, and it could've been avoided, so in this case, NASCAR should've put safer barriers there... in my opinion.

I also understand that people don't want the quality of the racing to be affected by erring on the side of safety, but at the same time, we want to protect the drivers from serious injury or worse so that they'll be able to provide us with said entertainment, because they're putting their lives on the line every time they strap in to one of these machines.

So like I said, it's a very fine balance, and you can't tip the scales toward one without affecting the other, so NASCAR has its hands full trying to balance the two. But I think as long as the racing isn't affected, I really don't see any problem implementing safety features, especially when they can prevent serious injury like what we saw happen to Kyle Busch.

Lucstar88 wrote:By the way...

Dale Junior has 8 Top-3 finishes in 16 races at the 500 O_O

Including a streak of 4 consecutive top 3's. Not bad, eh? Cool
PackerMan71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMac525 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:48 am

Pretty nice Daytona today with solid racing overall. I'm meh on Logano, but he's a first time Daytona winner so I'm okay with it.
JMac525
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBoy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:05 am

To me, this Speedweeks felt like a mess in many ways, but the 500 was the best out of the three big races, albeit how I feel about the finish. I really don't know how to feel about Joey Logano being a Daytona 500 winner, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that after all the years he was looking like a fool at Gibbs.

It looks like that we will be seeing much of the same from last year with who will be contending for wins and the championship.
BBoy
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BWardboy88 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 am

>Tyler Reddick wins Truck race driving a Ford
>Ryan Reed wins XFinity race driving a Ford
>Joey Logano wins Cup race driving a Ford

See the pattern? An all Ford Sweep for Daytona.
BWardboy88

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:01 am

BWardboy88 wrote:>Tyler Reddick wins Truck race driving a Ford
>Ryan Reed wins XFinity race driving a Ford
>Joey Logano wins Cup race driving a Ford

See the pattern? An all Ford Sweep for Daytona.
Forded

First On Race Day, ERRY DAY.

Also, as someone who races cars and has seen fatal race car accidents right in front of him while strapped inside a race car, I am very disappointed with a lot of people in this thread regarding safety in racing. Motoracing is one of, if not the most dangerous sport in the world. You could wrap the cars and walls in bubble wrap and there'd still be an element of danger in the sport.

Not like Logano was going to get caught anyway.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)

View user profile http://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top