Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015.

+13
Lucstar88
Ben Atkins
RyanB06
Cynon
JMac525
navycook75
TheRealNathNath
gone-sovereign
Alta
SpeedDemon37
Alpineopossum
BooyakaDragon
BWard
17 posters

Go down

Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015. Empty Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015.

Post by Ben Atkins Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:12 am

Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015. Empty Re: Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015.

Post by BWard Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 am

I know a lot of people in the past predicted his retirement earlier than now, but I honestly didn't see this coming. It will be sad not to see him full-time after this season, considering all the amazing success he's had, but I think this could open the door for Chase Elliott to replace him.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015. Empty Re: Jeff Gordon to step down from full-time racing after 2015.

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:34 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:I know a lot of people in the past predicted his retirement earlier than now, but I honestly didn't see this coming. It will be sad not to see him full-time after this season, considering all the amazing success he's had, but I think this could open the door for Chase Elliott to replace him.
I was expecting Kyle Larson to be the one to inherit Gordon's seat, but I'm not aware as to how long Larson's current contract with Ganassi is.

So in the ARCA Racing Series we have the driver with the most championships and race victories scaling back to a part-time schedule this year, and in the NASCAR Cup the driver who is third on the all-time race win list will retire from full-time at year's end. Those are certainly some significant happenings.

The article says that he may return for select races in the future. Would Hendrick field a fifth car for him if that were to be the case? I'm honestly not sure what the cars-per-team limit is.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:48 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:I know a lot of people in the past predicted his retirement earlier than now, but I honestly didn't see this coming. It will be sad not to see him full-time after this season, considering all the amazing success he's had, but I think this could open the door for Chase Elliott to replace him.
I was expecting Kyle Larson to be the one to inherit Gordon's seat, but I'm not aware as to how long Larson's current contract with Ganassi is.

Larson's contract with Chip Ganassi Racing is signed through to 2017, so I'm not so sure about that. Besides I also believe Chase Elliott could be running a 5th car for Hendrick this year, considering any team with 4 full-time cars can run a 5th car part-time for 7 races. So depending on how he performs this year, he could be in line to take over the #24 for 2016...

or unless Rick Hendrick changes the number on that car out of respect for Gordon stepping down.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Gordon's been my guy since I was 2 years old, I've rooted for him for so long......so many feels right now Crying or Very sad
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:44 pm

BooyakaDragon wrote:Gordon's been my guy since I was 2 years old, I've rooted for him for so long......so many feels right now Crying or Very sad

Exactly how I feel. Every since I was a toddler I rooted for him. He was one of the young guns then. Hard to believe he's retiring. Sad
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Never been a Gordon fan, but respected him a lot, man may have done some questionable things. Still. Gordon is a legend, and should be viewed as that. Chase will likely get the car, but the 5th car thing (It's for rookies only). So Gordon may enter it as his own team or even under JRM (Hendrick does the operation himself, Dale puts his name to make it enter), just like SHR. Larson likely will still join HMS when Junior retires or Kahne leaves.

Gordon's going to have one hell of a farewell tour, and i'll be enjoying the ride Very Happy
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:56 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:Larson's contract with Chip Ganassi Racing is signed through to 2017, so I'm not so sure about that. Besides I also believe Chase Elliott could be running a 5th car for Hendrick this year, considering any team with 4 full-time cars can run a 5th car part-time for 7 races. So depending on how he performs this year, he could be in line to take over the #24 for 2016...

or unless Rick Hendrick changes the number on that car out of respect for Gordon stepping down.
All right, wasn't aware of that information before!

Alpineopossum wrote:
BooyakaDragon wrote:Gordon's been my guy since I was 2 years old, I've rooted for him for so long......so many feels right now Crying or Very sad

Exactly how I feel. Every since I was a toddler I rooted for him. He was one of the young guns then. Hard to believe he's retiring. Sad
My childhood driver that I've rooted for since I was 5 retired when I was 9! Razz (I know that that doesn't count; he continued to race through 2013).

Anyway, it is really upsetting to have a favorite driver retire. I still haven't rooted for anyone yet like I've ever rooted for Mark Martin.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:18 pm

This is to setup Chase Eillott as the next big guy at Hendrick, guy has been with Rick for almost 10 years and for sure he wouldn't give that up just to get the other current hot guy in the car. Chase is the perfect replacement honestly.

Back to the main story....I can remember the days when Gordon was dominant one in the Cup series...it's crazy to see how the guy i watched rip up the Cup series in the 90's is calling it quits. The man has had a stellar career and is looking to go out on top even after 21 YEARS in the 24 car. Good on Gordon.

Last edited by Alta on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:19 pm

It will certainly be difficult to have a NASCAR Cup race without Jeff Gordon. I've been a NASCAR fan since 2007 and I might never get to see him win a title. And as close as he is right now, he's running out of opportunities to win 100 races. At least I hope he does that much.

But on the other hand, Chase Elliott will be taking over that car in 2016, which I'm happy for. I'm so conflicted on how to feel right now.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealNathNath Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:48 pm

This
TheRealNathNath
TheRealNathNath
Development Series Rookie
Development Series Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 pm

Never been much of a Gordon fan, but I'll be sad to see him go.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by JMac525 Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 am

Jeff's been one of my favorites since I started watching NASCAR all those years ago. I'm sad to see him retire after this year, but it's been a hell of a career.
JMac525
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:03 am

SpeedDemon37 wrote:

So in the ARCA Racing Series we have the driver with the most championships and race victories scaling back to a part-time schedule this year, and in the NASCAR Cup the driver who is third on the all-time race win list will retire from full-time at year's end. Those are certainly some significant happenings.

The article says that he may return for select races in the future. Would Hendrick field a fifth car for him if that were to be the case? I'm honestly not sure what the cars-per-team limit is.

Hendrick would run a 5th car. It's Jeff Gordon -- he'll find a way around the 4 car limit. How many times have we seen Gordon escape the rules before? Razz

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:04 am

It wouldn't be skirting the rules: teams are allowed four full-time cars and an optional fifth part-time entry. So Hendrick could do it no problem.
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Backmarker Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:53 am

The fifth car needs to be driven by a rookie. That's why Chase can run it this year, but Jeff couldn't next year. He said yesterday that he wasn't interested, anyway...
Backmarker
Backmarker
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Atkins Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:01 pm

NeverNeutral wrote:The fifth car needs to be driven by a rookie. That's why Chase can run it this year, but Jeff couldn't next year. He said yesterday that he wasn't interested, anyway...

I wonder if he'll run his own car?

Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Ben Atkins wrote:
NeverNeutral wrote:The fifth car needs to be driven by a rookie. That's why Chase can run it this year, but Jeff couldn't next year. He said yesterday that he wasn't interested, anyway...

I wonder if he'll run his own car?

Maybe, under his name or Dale Junior's name. Maybe he would try trucks for Xfinity for fun, and he would get the sponsorship surely for a part-time run.
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by Backmarker Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:00 pm

The other obstacle is you can't own one team and drive for another. Jeff would have to give up his stake with Hendrick, and he seems pretty dedicated to staying with them in some capacity.
Backmarker
Backmarker
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm

NeverNeutral wrote:The other obstacle is you can't own one team and drive for another. Jeff would have to give up his stake with Hendrick, and he seems pretty dedicated to staying with them in some capacity.

What about Dale Sr. Has the rule been changed?
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Backmarker Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:50 pm

I believe the rule changed when the team limit went down to 4. Alternatively, I think Teresa may have been the listed owner.
Backmarker
Backmarker
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:33 am

Although I was on the Gordon hating bandwagon when he got big in the mid 90`s, I've learned to really respect the guy. I was hoping he would stick around a few more years to take a shot at the 100 wins mark, but if he feels it's time to retire, he should. He will make a freaking awesome driving coach for Hendrick.
Mystrsyko
Mystrsyko
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:39 am

I thought he was good for 3 more years but I guess father time has came to him. Hopefully he'll get to win his 5th title before he retires form fulltime racing.

I love this guy, but there were times that he really pissed me off. One of the greatest to ever do it and hopefully he'll go out with a bang.
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down