Racings Biggest Threat: The Very People Who Love It The Most

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Racings Biggest Threat: The Very People Who Love It The Most

Post by RACECAR on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Found this and its a interesting read:

http://www.thedrc.net/post/91933646052/racings-biggest-threat-the-very-people-who-love

Here's just a small portion that I think rings very true:

Are we 100 percent of the problem, lord no. But as we all watch the sport we love, that we’ve spent our lives following dwindle off to nothing, all we can do is hurt it with harsh and quick reactions. Fans, Drivers, Pit Crew Members, and even track staff are included.

After reading the whole thing, what I've summed up is he's basically saying that fans are overreacting a lot for sometimes even the smallest of changes (which really can apply for any series at the moment) and it often does less rather then more for racing as a whole. Its something I know I've been guilty of plenty of times and honestly, I've seen a fair share of the same here in these forums as well as every other one I frequent.

Overall, I feel it makes a very good point. What about some of you?
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Re: Racings Biggest Threat: The Very People Who Love It The Most

Post by Cynon on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:03 pm

Another guy who wasn't following motorsport in 1996, I see.

Online Wins: 20
Last Win: Short Oval Challenge @ Sayre
EFR's #1 Robby Gordon fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan

Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 pm

So solely on that basis its ok to for example, go ape over every change (even the smallest ones) for a series even before it begins?
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Davidizer13 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 pm

The writer severely overestimates the effect people posting on the Internet might have on a series as a whole. Dirt track/local racing is different than the major series I usually watch, I know, but even then a series isn't likely to change just because a few people are complaining about its decisions on the Internet. On top of that, most changes a series makes over the years, things like aero packages, manufacturer BoP, etc., are only going to be apparent to the more avid fans. As long as a naturally exciting race takes place most weeks, people are going to continue to follow the series (and even if the racing isn't always very exciting - see F1).

What's more, the root cause of problems that are afflicting most racing series have not been the complaints of fans, or even what they want, but by the people running the series changing what they believe people want to see or what the vision for the series is going to be. For example, F1's shift from an open engine formula to this year's V6 turbos over the last 20 years was brought on by a) cost-cutting measures in order to attract new teams and more manufacturers and b) a desire to become road-relevant by developing engine technologies and increasing reliability. Most other series have followed or are following a similar trajectory. What fans are complaining about are the changes that have come with this, and a perceived lack of quality of the sport, stemming from decisions that other people made for the series.

The complaints people usually have about a series, I believe, are reactionary to the problems, and not the cause of the problems. The fans aren't going to change, say, Bernie Ecclestone's mind, and depending on what they're complaining about, responding to those complaints in the way fans would like might spell the end of the series, like the people who want CART's glory days back. And no amount of yelling about how F1 screwed over its newest teams is going to pay Marussia's debts.

Does complaining turn people off from becoming racing fans? Maybe. Is complaining currently ruining racing as we know it? Certainly not.

Davidizer13
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:16 pm

I'll say yes and no this. I do agree that some people will flip at just miniscule changes that in the scheme of things doesn't make that much of a difference or end up being fun, however at the same time people there are changes that series make in racing that would even makes the casual viewer go "Wait why are they doing that, i don't see that working to well for them." In some cases those bad changes will reflect in things like TV Ratings and Attendance.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, if we all have the same view on things then what's the sake of discussion?
Alta
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top