Mid Ohio Test Day and Driver's School

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mid Ohio Test Day and Driver's School

Post by Alpineopossum on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:11 pm

I wasn't actually a driver but I was crewing at a race track so I guess this counts.

The event was a driver's school put on by the Porsche Club of America and Mid Ohio management. There was a pretty interesting group of cars there. There were a lot of Porsches (the team I helped out with ran a 944 and an 924S) including some very serious racing ones. Other marques were well represented: Several early 3-Series BMW racecars, a handful of Camaros and Firebirds mostly from the 80s and 90s, quite a few modern Mustangs, and an assortment of other cars completed the paddock. The only open cockpit car there was a 2002 Dallara IndyCar. It wasn't in an discernable livery (it was all black) but the rumor was that it won at Fontana in 2002 (which according to wikipedia would make it an ex-Sam Hornish car.

The coolest part of the day (aside from going out onto the track) was sitting in a Porsche 962C in the famous Rothman's livery. I was talking to one of the mechanics and he offered to let me sit in it. At first I hesitated then said "Yeah"... quite an amazing experience. The inside of the car was rather small (and I'm pretty short) but it wasn't that uncomfortable. The steering wheel was pretty small and the shifter was only a few inches away.

Brian Till and Tommy Bryne (the ex F1 driver) were there as instructors and I was able to talk to both of them. Brian Till was telling me and another guy the fast way around Mid Ohio. He has the exact same voice on TV as he does in real life, which I found to be pretty funny.

Mid Ohio's a pretty cool track to drive on because you really get a sense of speed with all the high g-forces corners, even in a relatively low power car like the 944 I was riding in. Madness (Turns 4-5-6 on the IndyCar layout) is pretty intense, and the whole track is faster than you think. They were running the Chicane before Turn 2 (the Keyhole).
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

View user profile http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top