2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by bigdc48 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm

The semifinal event of the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season is at wine country called Sonoma Raceway in California.

Last time out, Will Power won it what was a crappy race at the Milwaukee Mile. It further grew his championship lead over Castroneves and Pagenaud. RHR is gonna need major help in this race to have a shot.

Power is also a 3-time winner here, including last year with the controversial call for Scott Dixon getting an unwarrented penalty for hitting a crew member.

The race is Sunday at 4pm.
avatar
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 920
Join date : 2012-10-05
Age : 24
Location : Manchester, NH (near Boston)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Alta on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:53 pm

>Crappy race

I disagree with this honestly but it's a new race and we all need to move on.

Castroneves needs to bring his A-game or i think we are finally seeing Will Power and a championship in the same sentence that doesn't involve the word "choked."
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3983
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by BWard on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Unless he makes a huge slip up and Castroneves takes advantage, it is Will Power's championship to lose.
avatar
BWard
Legend
Legend

Posts : 5821
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Sparkz47 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:Unless he makes a huge slip up and Castroneves takes advantage, it is Will Power's championship to lose.

Never count out Will Power to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
avatar
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1392
Join date : 2011-09-17
Age : 21
Location : Equestria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by crl on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:32 pm


_________________
Norah O'Donnell - the only reason to watch CBS This Morning.
Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Alta on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:39 am

We had an 6.0 earthquake in North Cal about 2 hours epicentered in American Canyon which is 15 miles from track. There are reports of damage to the surrounding highways near the track.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3983
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:42 am

Race will go ahead without issue.
avatar
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3418
Join date : 2012-04-29
Age : 23
Location : Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

View user profile http://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by crl on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Power spins. Now he's behind Helio, who's had his own problems today.

_________________
Norah O'Donnell - the only reason to watch CBS This Morning.
Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by BWard on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:54 pm

POWER WILL CHOKE.
avatar
BWard
Legend
Legend

Posts : 5821
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by RetrogradeRenegade on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:11 pm

avatar
RetrogradeRenegade
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 721
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 25
Location : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by BWard on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I hate to tell you guys this, but with the way Graham Rahal's going, he might potentially win this race, and break our hearts.
avatar
BWard
Legend
Legend

Posts : 5821
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by crl on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:26 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:I hate to tell you guys this, but with the way Graham Rahal's going, he might potentially win this race, and break our hearts.

He'll fuck it up in some way, shape, or form.

_________________
Norah O'Donnell - the only reason to watch CBS This Morning.
Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Ben Atkins on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:47 pm

crl wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:I hate to tell you guys this, but with the way Graham Rahal's going, he might potentially win this race, and break our hearts.

He'll fuck it up in some way, shape, or form.

... Yup.

_________________


NR2003 Online Wins: 121 (Latest - EFR Short Track Challenge at Abbotsford Speedway [06/08/17])
NR2003 Online Poles: 80 (Latest - EFR Short Track Challenge at Abbotsford Speedway [06/08/17])
iRacing Online Offical Wins: 19 (Latest - NASCAR Trucks at Daytona [06/30/17])
NR2003 Championships: 6 (2013/2014 GOMA Trucks, Formula 5 Season 12, 2014 GOMA Trucks, Formula 5 Season 13, Formula 5 Season 14, Formula 5 Season 16)

Nico Nico Nii.
avatar
Ben Atkins
Legend
Legend

Posts : 4515
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 22
Location : zura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by BWard on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:48 pm

PRAISE THE LORD, IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
avatar
BWard
Legend
Legend

Posts : 5821
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by BWard on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Good win Dixon, holy crap that finish. Surprised
avatar
BWard
Legend
Legend

Posts : 5821
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by crl on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Geez, Will. Desperate much?

_________________
Norah O'Donnell - the only reason to watch CBS This Morning.
Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

crl wrote:Geez, Will. Desperate much?

Can't blame him, but wilson kinda pushed the 12 into the 11 so... THAT 3 WIDE was not going to work!
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by BWard on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Wait a minute, Power passed under a yellow? CHOKE.
avatar
BWard
Legend
Legend

Posts : 5821
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:55 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:Wait a minute, Power passed under a yellow? CHOKE.

Same with Bourdais.... They all went for it so?

GW Dixon though!
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by f1fan12 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Power driving like a dick... Indycar probably won't do anything because he drives for Penske!
avatar
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2533
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Bay Village Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by navycook75 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Still not a Dixon fan, but you can't deny his ability to save fuel.

Good win Dixon.
avatar
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Posts : 4916
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 28
Location : Portland, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 pm

f1fan12 wrote:Power driving like a dick... Indycar probably won't do anything because he drives for Penske!

Wilson touched the 12 into the 11. Not really dick, but can't blame Power for trying.
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by f1fan12 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
f1fan12 wrote:Power driving like a dick... Indycar probably won't do anything because he drives for Penske!

Wilson touched the 12 into the 11. Not really dick, but can't blame Power for trying.

Power slamming into Wilson the turn before caused the whole situation...
avatar
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2533
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Bay Village Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:01 pm

f1fan12 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
f1fan12 wrote:Power driving like a dick... Indycar probably won't do anything because he drives for Penske!

Wilson touched the 12 into the 11. Not really dick, but can't blame Power for trying.

Power slamming into Wilson the turn before caused the whole situation...

True, but going 3-wide wasn't going to work also Razz
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by PYLrulz on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Had to go to work before the finish of the race. I'm guessing Will Power made a total boneheaded move at the finish?
avatar
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 33
Location : Mountville, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by crl on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:08 pm

PYLrulz wrote:Had to go to work before the finish of the race.  I'm guessing Will Power made a total boneheaded move at the finish?

Nosedived to the inside of Wilson going into the last corner, causing contact, forcing them both wide, and allowing Bourdais to make it three-wide, which ended with Bourdais's right rear brushing the wall, while Power nipped Wilson at the line, but the yellow was out in that corner because Conway had slowed to a crawl without fuel, so, Power gets 10th, Wilson 9th.

_________________
Norah O'Donnell - the only reason to watch CBS This Morning.
Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by PackerMan71 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:10 pm

f1fan12 wrote:
Lucstar88 wrote:
f1fan12 wrote:Power driving like a dick... Indycar probably won't do anything because he drives for Penske!

Wilson touched the 12 into the 11. Not really dick, but can't blame Power for trying.

Power slamming into Wilson the turn before caused the whole situation...

He didn't really slam into him, per se. There was some contact, but it was minor contact from what I could see, anyway.

Pretty tame race, right up until the end. I was laughing when everyone was panicking about Rahal winning.

The three wide situation with Wilson, Power and Bourdais could go either way, TBH. Yes, the yellow was out, but it looked like one of the other officials told the guy holding the flag to withdraw it, so there may not be any penalties handed out whatsoever. But we'll see.

Overall, pretty good race.

The 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma gets a 7.0/10.
avatar
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Lucstar88 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:11 pm

They are reordering the finish, in my opinion, give the 12 and 11 penalties for that last turn. (Yes, Bourdais technically advanced his position, because they were 3-wide). Don't penalize the 19. My honest opinion, if they don't, I won't complain :/
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2686
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Alta on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:11 pm

PYLrulz wrote:Had to go to work before the finish of the race.  I'm guessing Will Power made a total boneheaded move at the finish?
Him, Bourdias, and Wilson 3 wided to the finish...The controversy is Conway was coming to a stop coming to the line thanks to running out of guess and they threw out the local yellows which all 3 proceeded to ignore in their fight to the line.

I'm in the boat if you don't penalize one you don't penalize them all, but if you do penalize one you penalize them all since it was just honestly in my opinion hard racing to the finish.

Also LOLRAHAL.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3983
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by PackerMan71 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:They are reordering the finish, in my opinion, give the 12 and 11 penalties for that last turn. (Yes, Bourdais technically advanced his position, because they were 3-wide). Don't penalize the 19. My honest opinion, if they don't, I won't complain :/

I don't think they will give penalties, because they were coming to the checkered.
avatar
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by crl on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Dixon wins, but he's out of the championship hunt. RHR needs at least 25 cars to be entered in Fontana to have any hope of grabbing the title by winning the race and getting at least three bonus points with Power finishing 25th.

_________________
Norah O'Donnell - the only reason to watch CBS This Morning.
Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
avatar
crl
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2518
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 31
Location : Nashville, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by bigdc48 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Okay race. Though the strategy was intriguing. Good win Dixon. I thought Rahal would win the race, BTW, but the fuel tank was saying otherwise.

Power pretty much sitting pretty with a 51-point lead, but it's double points at Fontana, which should be interesting between him, Castroneves and Pagenaud for the title.

The 3-wide situation, IMO, was just pure racing for the checkers between Power, Bourdais and Wilson, though it was risky for Power to pull that off. Risks can bring you rewards.

I'll give this race a 6.0/10.
avatar
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 920
Join date : 2012-10-05
Age : 24
Location : Manchester, NH (near Boston)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by Alpineopossum on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:45 am

Jack Harvey won the Indy Lights race, but Gabby Chaves took the title in his second season in the series. Chaves gets a large "scholarship" from the title so don't be surprised if we see him in IndyCar next year.
avatar
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1850
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 21
Location : Cleveland

View user profile http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by f1fan12 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:Jack Harvey won the Indy Lights race, but Gabby Chaves took the title in his second season in the series. Chaves gets a large "scholarship" from the title so don't be surprised if we see him in IndyCar next year.

Andretti's 5th car?
avatar
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2533
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Bay Village Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - IndyCar

Post by RetrogradeRenegade on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm

navycook75 wrote:Still not a Dixon fan, but you can't deny his ability to save fuel.

Good win Dixon.

Speaking of saving fuel, how about Simon Pagenaud? He pitted the lap before Conway, and made it to the finish.
avatar
RetrogradeRenegade
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 721
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 25
Location : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum