Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen

+28
RealRacer4
Pyrozooka0
JMac525
Cardinals5
f1fan12
SpeedDemon37
PackerMan71
RyanB06
bsoyuz
BooyakaDragon
Milan655
Cynon
RealRacingRoots
PYLrulz
Sparkz47
navycook75
gone-sovereign
Mother of Invention
TheFallenHaveRisen
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
flyingturns89
Backmarker
bigdc48
Memoriesallbutdone
BWard
Lucstar88
crl
BBoy
32 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen - Page 2 Empty Re: NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen

Post by bsoyuz Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 am

RIP Kevin Ward, well, Tony Stewart is fucked.

That was just idiot, why the hell he did that I don't know, but I lost all respect for him now.... if this incident was intentional.
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:41 am

WELP

Marty Smith @MartySmithESPN 3s
SHR VP Comp Greg Zipadelli confirms for me that Tony Stewart will race the No. 14 today at Watkins Glen.

BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:48 am

I hope NASCAR has extra track sweepers on hand...they're going to need them to clean up all the crap that's going to be thrown at the 14.

IF this sounds as bad as it's being made out to be - IF - then Stewart's lost a fan. There's no defense for his behavior.
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:12 am

I heard the police have a GoPro camera from Stewart's car during the crash.

Honestly, I think both were at fault.

1. Why would you run out onto the middle of the track like that? If you're mad do it when you aren't in danger of being ran over.

2. Also, why didn't Stewart just brake instead of continuing to accelerate? That's like basic driving rules.

There's so many ways to defend both guys, but unless we get telemetry and actual proper footage of the crash (Like one focus on Stewart entirely), then I can't properly distinguish who was more at fault.
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:06 am

BooyakaDragon wrote:2. Also, why didn't Stewart just brake instead of continuing to accelerate? That's like basic driving rules.

I saw a post on another message board that said accelerating under yellow conditions is actually a common practice on dirt (Nelson can you confirm this?)

That and Tony's vision was impaired with the safety devices/high car sides. It was the complete worse possible outcome on what is probably an accident
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 am

Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 am

^^^

THAT.
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 am

Cynon wrote:There is no way in this world you can defend Tony Stewart.

None.

It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, any argument over whose fault it is ends once he decided to crack the throttle and gas it up near another car. Nothing is sadder than blaming the victim, which is what I've seen a lot of people do.

Basically how I feel.  Neutral

Also, I mean no disrespect to Kevin Ward, but let's be honest here. Running out into the middle of a DIRT RACING SURFACE while wearing a black fire suit during a night race while traffic is whizzing by under caution is just asking for trouble. Not to mention it's hard enough to see out of those sprint cars to begin with.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:05 am

Zippy will have a statement in about 10 minutes. Buckle up.
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Backmarker Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:24 am

Regan Smith will be in the 14 today.
Backmarker
Backmarker
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:35 am

NeverNeutral wrote:Regan Smith will be in the 14 today.

Thank goodness. It probably would've been really hard for Stewart to race today as he still has the accident on his mind.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:44 am

I'm still speechless after hearing about this late last night. Regardless of who should or shouldn't have been doing what, another racer has lost his life. Keep his friends and family in your thoughts.

This sums up my thoughts well.

And USA Today has confirmed that Regan Smith will be driving Stewart's #14 car today.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/08/10/tony-stewart-watkins-glen-nascar-sprint-cup/13857187/

R.I.P. Kevin Ward, Jr.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:46 am

The dude shouldn't have been on the track... But all shred of credibility Stewart had, went out the window when he revved that engine up!
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:57 am

The steering boxes in, not only Sprintcars, but a majority of dirt cars (like my Falcon that I race) are QuickSteer. QuickSteer is purpose built for racing, and works best at full speed. At low or pacing speed, QuickSteer will not respond as well as a road car, or other cars. That's why at low speed, to turn sharply, it's best to give a quick burst of throttle to help the rear grip and turn.

The reason Tony would of revved up when he got to Ward was to turn sharply away from him, but unfortunately Ward just got way too close, and what could of been easily preventable from both parties, turned into a tragic, freak accident.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

https://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by Memoriesallbutdone Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 am

I cant really say I have a stance here. Sorry about Ward Jr getting killed. I understand he went out on the track and was ticked off with Stewart and likely shouldn't have been where he was. However, from the looks of the video, Stewart either reeved the engine and lost the car or steered (cant say its the engine for sure since the video I've seen looks like it was taken from the Frontstretch and the accident was in turn 2) into Ward. The issue is going to be this, will the authorities see this as a freak accident and no charges will be filed or will the authorities think he should have been in more control of his 1,400 pound (at least) sprint car against a guy who looks to weigh maybe about 200 pounds?

The only thing I will say I'm ok with Stewart in this situation is the fact that he is cooperating with the authorities.
Memoriesallbutdone
Memoriesallbutdone
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 am

Looking at the video (Which I will admit in trying to avoid it). I kind of have to think that Ward got WAY too close to those cars in the racing line. However I think Tony could have had better control of his car. However, if he revved the throttle to intimidate Ward, he should have realized that the guy was way too close to be playing games like that.
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:27 am

f1fan12 wrote:Looking at the video (Which I will admit in trying to avoid it). I kind of have to think that Ward got WAY too close to those cars in the racing line. However I think Tony could have had better control of his car. However, if he revved the throttle to intimidate Ward, he should have realized that the guy was way too close to be playing games like that.

I don't think Stewart played games that way on dirt, and right now it's basically too early to blame anyone, we'll have to wait. Which makes me consider this a freak incident, at the present moment.
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 am

Spannerhead29 (Nelson) wrote:The steering boxes in, not only Sprintcars, but a majority of dirt cars (like my Falcon that I race) are QuickSteer. QuickSteer is purpose built for racing, and works best at full speed. At low or pacing speed, QuickSteer will not respond as well as a road car, or other cars. That's why at low speed, to turn sharply, it's best to give a quick burst of throttle to help the rear grip and turn.

The reason Tony would of revved up when he got to Ward was to turn sharply away from him, but unfortunately Ward just got way too close, and what could of been easily preventable from both parties, turned into a tragic, freak accident.

You should email NASCAR media people this.
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 am

BooyakaDragon wrote:
Spannerhead29 (Nelson) wrote:The steering boxes in, not only Sprintcars, but a majority of dirt cars (like my Falcon that I race) are QuickSteer. QuickSteer is purpose built for racing, and works best at full speed. At low or pacing speed, QuickSteer will not respond as well as a road car, or other cars. That's why at low speed, to turn sharply, it's best to give a quick burst of throttle to help the rear grip and turn.

You should email NASCAR media people this.

This part right here especially. Maybe it'll stop the witch hunt going on because people like to make snap judgement calls without knowing all of the facts.

Just kidding, it won't.
Cardinals5
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 am

Freak Accident imho.

I honestly don't think Stewart intended to hit him, but he did, sadly killing the guy.
Ward decision to run down the track was a bad one, and sadly, with all the elements (darkness, clothing being dark, sprintcars like rub said), ended his life. Thank god Stewart ain't racing, that's the best decision. he should still get punished for what he did, cause the guy died... but That's a freak accident. RIP
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 am

I think I might have to take back anything I flamed at towards Tony Stewart. I may have been overreacting to the whole thing, so I won't say anything else on the matter until he gets a chance to explain what happened from his point of view.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm still speechless after seeing that video, but I think it was a freak accident, IMHO. I'll wait and see what happens.
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:Freak Accident imho.

I honestly don't think Stewart intended to hit him, but he did, sadly killing the guy.
Ward decision to run down the track was a bad one, and sadly, with all the elements (darkness, clothing being dark, sprintcars like rub said), ended his life. Thank god Stewart ain't racing, that's the best decision. he should still get punished for what he did, cause the guy died... but That's a freak accident. RIP

If (as you're saying) it's a freak accident, there was no intent to do harm on Tony's part, and Ward's own decisions put him in significant danger, why should Tony be punished? You don't blame a driver if someone runs across the interstate in front of them, so why should we blame Tony for Ward's own decision making? Ward put himself in danger and he should have known better than to run out onto an active dirt track to try whatever he was going to try.
Cardinals5
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Tony's not racing today. I think that's fair. The fans would be screaming bloody murder if he were. I still don't think this would kill his career.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Cardinals5 wrote:

If (as you're saying) it's a freak accident, there was no intent to do harm on Tony's part, and Ward's own decisions put him in significant danger, why should Tony be punished? You don't blame a driver if someone runs across the interstate in front of them, so why should we blame Tony for Ward's own decision making? Ward put himself in danger and he should have known better than to run out onto an active dirt track to try whatever he was going to try.

Complete agree with your opinion, but sadly a lot of people want his head. That's my bad Razz
But honestly, you can't go down a track while racing on dirt, it causes for trouble like rub said

Also, just saw the video cause ESPN is stupid.
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 pm

I also feel bad for big Stewart fans, can't imagine having your favorite driver be involved in this.
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by JMac525 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for the analysis in this post. It was really well written. Personally, I just think this is a freak accident turned horrible.

On another note, not trying to sound disrespectful, Regan Smith will drive the 14 today.
JMac525
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrozooka0 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:51 pm

I don't think what happened is Stewart's fault.

Pyrozooka0
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:
Cardinals5 wrote:

Complete agree with your opinion, but sadly a lot of people want his head. That's my bad Razz
But honestly, you can't go down a track while racing on dirt, it causes for trouble like rub said

Also, just saw the video cause ESPN is stupid.

I couldn't tell, thanks for clarifying  Laughing 

Cardinals5
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by RealRacer4 Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Thank you for posting this. I usually stay quiet on situations like this and speculate, but with how people have been responding to this ordeal, I can't help but speak out by saying that I'm really disgusted by it. If Stewart tried intentionally running Kevin Ward Jr. over, he would've hit him nose first and not be completely devastated like he is now. I haven't liked Tony Stewart that much over the years, but having been around some dirt races like Nelson has, I know better that Smoke wouldn't do such a terrible thing.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Memoriesallbutdone Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Menard to the garage early and Whitt just squished his car.
Memoriesallbutdone
Memoriesallbutdone
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealRacingRoots Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:36 pm

And the best run for a BK Racing car ends as it usually does, with a wrecked race car. Cole Whitt looks completely unharmed.
RealRacingRoots
RealRacingRoots
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

https://www.youtube.com/user/Crashbroke23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Whitt just lost his brakes (jesus why my drivers Sad)
Menard brake problems
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BooyakaDragon Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Memoriesallbutdone wrote:Menard to the garage early and Whitt just squished his car.
Menard's last chance for Chase spot looks to be Michigan unless he can muster some Top 5 finishes for the next few weeks.
BooyakaDragon
BooyakaDragon
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Cole Whitt pulled a Jimmie Johnson.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Kyle is QQ'ing even more now!!!! Noob
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:09 pm

You'd think he'd have learned something from the Nationwide race... Razz
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Gordon's done.
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Well there goes Gordon's chances.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:33 pm

I feel for Gordon. Tough break.
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashRod4 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:44 pm

WOW! Newman and Mcdowell!! Shocked 
FlashRod4
FlashRod4
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:45 pm

JESUS.....

REG FLAG
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Memoriesallbutdone Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Red Flag for the hard and scary crash between Newman, McDowell and Patrick and repair to the guardrail
Memoriesallbutdone
Memoriesallbutdone
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdc48 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:47 pm

That was gutwrenching. Good thing Newman and McDowell are OK.
bigdc48
bigdc48
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Watkins Glen really had some bad wrecks lately!
Johnson in 2000
Hamlin
Whitt
Hornish Jr mega wreck in 09
Reutimann in 2011
This big wreck
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bsoyuz Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:52 pm

OH GOD THAT WAS GIGANTIC, HOLY HELL *starts incrompreensible sounds of screaming*.

Glad they're okay, because that thing was enormous.

NASCAR Weekend @ The Glen - Page 2 10463765_1516512638562232_6701623688892212833_o
bsoyuz
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealRacingRoots Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm wondering if that kind of incident would be easily avoided if they used the Full Glen layout. Because that kind of Junk has been a common occurrence there.

This red flag might be a while, lots of guard rail damage.
RealRacingRoots
RealRacingRoots
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

https://www.youtube.com/user/Crashbroke23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:59 pm

RealRacingRoots wrote:I'm wondering if that kind of incident would be easily avoided if they used the Full Glen layout. Because that kind of Junk has been a common occurrence there.

This red flag might be a while, lots of guard rail damage.

This is NASCAR, where everything/anything will get hit no matter where Razz

Freak accident, just like 09, heck the whole track is dangerous as a whole.
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Jesus...

Christ.
BWard
BWard