Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20 years ago today...

5 posters

Go down

20 years ago today... Empty 20 years ago today...

Post by BWard Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 am

The world of Motorsport and Formula 1 lost one of its true legends of the Sport. Ayrton Senna, a fearless and incredibly determined racer, was killed on Lap 5 of the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix at the Imola Circuit, a crash that added more drama to an already dark weekend, which had seen Rubens Barrichello suffer a terrible Practice accident but luckily emerged without any serious injuries, and then Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger killed during Qualifying for the race.

R.I.P Ayrton Senna

3-time F1 Champion - 1988, 1990 and 1991.
65 Pole Positions
41 Wins

20 years ago today... -ayrton-senna-1960-1994-

R.I.P Roland Ratzenberger 1960 - 1994

20 years ago today... 1994%20-%20Simtek%2025
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

20 years ago today... Empty Re: 20 years ago today...

Post by navycook75 Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 am

Without a doubt one of the darkest days in motorsport history.

RIP to them both.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Thu May 01, 2014 4:48 am

Ayrton Senna is a fascinating personality. On track, he was absolutely all business, take no prisoners and ruthless but away from the track, he was such a giving man and the work he was doing for his country is something that to this day I've yet to see anyone come close to duplicating ( or making nearly as much an impact).
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Thu May 01, 2014 5:05 am

Give this a watch if you have 45 minutes:

I hate that Senna never lived long enough to come to America and race in IndyCar, he would've been exceptional, although, if you watch Alex Zanardi in his CART glory days, he kind of filled that void, because he made many Senna-like passes.

I mourn Ratzenberger for what might have been, and I celebrate Rubens living through his accident, and going on to have a tremendous F1 career. And we can't forget the incident that happened on pit road towards the end of the race, when that tire got loose and people got hurt. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. And the Lehto-Lamy start line incident that left spectators injured.

What fascinates me the most is how much Ratzenberger's death affected Senna. Crying on Sid Watkins' shoulder. Stealing the Safety Car to go to the accident scene. Putting an Austrian flag in his car to pay tribute if he won. It showed that, underneath all that intensity and do-anything-to-win attitude, was a man who didn't want the sport he loved to go back to the '70s.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
20 years ago today... NM14-Wallpapers-LewisS_Android_320x480
crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Milan655 Thu May 01, 2014 11:28 am

Physically gone, yet Senna remains larger than ever. The amount of lives affected by him, even those who were not even alive or able to remember him, is incredible. He will forever remain the most spectacular driver in F1 history.

And sadly Ratzenberger died the day before, few pay as much attention to his death than to Senna. While he never achieved F1 fame, and possibly never would have in Simtek, his path to Formula One was extraordinary. Rarely has a driver reached F1 with as much effort as he did. Of the little footage available of his Formula Ford and touring car days, you truly witness how hard he had to work on a shoe-string of a budget.

McLaren's tribute to Senna's 1988 Monaco qualifying lap.

Ratzenberger vs Philippe Favre in the Formula Ford Festival in 1986. Unfortunately, Favre also died earlier last year in a skiing accident.

Milan655
Milan655
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down