Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NASCAR Annouces New Superspeedway Rule

Post by Rykia on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:08 am

racingfreak1999 wrote:
bartman97 wrote:
gwoodard41 wrote:
Cynon wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:Pack Racing: Exciting on restarts. Long Green runs = Boring single file
Tango Racing: Exciting on restarts. Long green runs = Boring swaps

I'll take single file over dumb swaps any day. The only reason they stayed single file in pack racing is because the cars wouldn't blow up if they stayed that way. Also, what's the incentive for the drivers to pass in pack racing before like, 20 to go. It's pretty easy to pass cars on superspeedways given the speed of the cars... why not take the restrictor plates off? It's high time that was done anyway...

Didn't they put the restrictor plates on to avoid drivers from flying when they wreck?

Yeah, that was one reason, cause Bobby Allison flew into the catchfence at Talladega in 1987.
Yeah, because the restrictor plate sure did stop Carl Edwards from going into the fence.

Took the words outta my mouth. With or without RPs, they're gonna fly!
Rykia
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Giacalone on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 am

Rykia_RKXK wrote:
racingfreak1999 wrote:
bartman97 wrote:
gwoodard41 wrote:
Cynon wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:Pack Racing: Exciting on restarts. Long Green runs = Boring single file
Tango Racing: Exciting on restarts. Long green runs = Boring swaps

I'll take single file over dumb swaps any day. The only reason they stayed single file in pack racing is because the cars wouldn't blow up if they stayed that way. Also, what's the incentive for the drivers to pass in pack racing before like, 20 to go. It's pretty easy to pass cars on superspeedways given the speed of the cars... why not take the restrictor plates off? It's high time that was done anyway...

Didn't they put the restrictor plates on to avoid drivers from flying when they wreck?

Yeah, that was one reason, cause Bobby Allison flew into the catchfence at Talladega in 1987.
Yeah, because the restrictor plate sure did stop Carl Edwards from going into the fence.

Took the words outta my mouth. With or without RPs, they're gonna fly!

If he hadn't had the plate on, he would have flew into the fence at a much higher speed, and thus done more damage to both the facility and the fans.
Vincent Giacalone
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennst24 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:55 am

You guys do realize Edwards was coming back down just as Newman punted him into the catchfence, don't you?
pennst24
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 pm

pennst24 wrote:You guys do realize Edwards was coming back down just as Newman punted him into the catchfence, don't you?

I was just about to say this. The back of Carl's car was up a little bit, but only a few feet. He would have hit the wall and spun back on to the track without interference, but Newman hit him under what little elevation his car had and sent him flying.
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chives2112 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:
pennst24 wrote:You guys do realize Edwards was coming back down just as Newman punted him into the catchfence, don't you?

I was just about to say this. The back of Carl's car was up a little bit, but only a few feet. He would have hit the wall and spun back on to the track without interference, but Newman hit him under what little elevation his car had and sent him flying.
I found it odd that during the broadcast of that race, only Mike Joy mentioned Newman. "Oooh, and that destroyed the front end of Newman's car!"
Chives2112
Champion
Champion

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Chives5150?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Chives2112 wrote:
Sparkz47 wrote:

I found it odd that during the broadcast of that race, only Mike Joy mentioned Newman. "Oooh, and that destroyed the front end of Newman's car!"

XD I always noticed that, too. Yeah, Mike, never mind the car that just soared into the catch fence upside down.
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensethfan on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:28 pm

My gosh, where to start.

First of all, I haven't liked pack racing, because I don't like wrecks, and the only reason I would want to see somebody go over in their car is so I could say I saw it as it happened. Pack racing scares me. We didn't have much of the same problem with the two-car tango, and I liked that style of racing, because you had cars spread out all over the track. It reminded me of the racing displayed in the late 70's where you could run like that all by yourself and still be fast.

I don't mind it that we're going back to the old style of racing, but the one thing I haven't liked about superspeedway racing and will probably never change is drivers getting over-aggressive in the final laps of a race, and taking each other out of their way to contend for the win. In addition to that, let's not forget how NASCAR is now giving drivers multiple times to do it over. It takes away from the excitement having to sit through multiple caution periods.

Lastly, I think it's needless to say that the reason we have restrictor plates on cars nowadays is to prevent things like this from ever happening again:

One fan lost an eye in that accident after having been hit by a piece of debris. Her, and four other spectators had been injured.

Rusty Wallace did a trial run in a Nextel Cup car at Talladega in 2004 without a restrictor plate. He topped well over 230 mph, and he also cracked Bill Elliott's record of 44.998. Rusty did 44.270.

With that said, think of how much worse Carl Edwards' accident at Talladega in '09 could've been without a restrictor plate. An accident like the 1955 LeMans Disaster is one of the last things NASCAR needs.

Last edited by kensethfan on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
kensethfan
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chives2112 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:10 pm

I like pack-racing because, well, you're in a pack. You have no margin for error and your bumping all over the track trying not to get into anybody else, and you'll have moments were you scream like a girl at the TV because of a close call. The "older" style race from the 70s to the early 80s was exciting because, you didn't have the 2-car tango, but, like Matt said, you would be spread out around the track. The only thing about the "older" style racing is that you had 5-7 cars that would flip-flop the lead every corner or so, which made that exciting. Just look at the 1981 Daytona 500. Hopefully that made sense.
Chives2112
Champion
Champion

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Chives5150?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top