Drawings Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drawings Thread

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:48 pm

I made this thread for me to post some racing-related drawings that I have made, but if anyone else has work that they'd like to show, please do so!

In addition to racing, one of my biggest hobbies is drawing. For a few years, I have driven drawn dozens of cars/racetracks, etc. (close to all of them fictitious), and I decided to post some of them here for others to see.

This first drawing is of one of my favorite racetracks that I've "made". While it wasn't intended to be a favorite, it just turned out that way. More information on the track and the picture in the spoiler box.
Racetrack - Circuit du Havre:
I imagine this clockwise circuit being in/near Le Havre, France. The racing surface is not quite drawn to scale, as it is drawn wider than it would actually be. It's probably somewhere between 3.5-4 miles (5.6-6.4 km) in length.

I also have not yet drawn anything to show its elevation changes, but it is certainly not flat. Turns 3-5 are moderately uphill, as are the three sweeping s-curves past the chicane, but turns 7 and 8 (the left-hander before the long straight that I count as two turns because of its double-apex) have a very sharp downhill grade in the tiny "straightaway" between them. I imagine turn 8 at the bottom of that hill being very easy to spin off of, sort of like Road America's station 5, but with the "straightaway" before it being much shorter, steeply downhill, and rather slick.

The second-to last corner also is progressively banked. The banking is very shallow, but enough to make its outside groove generally preferred.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drawings Thread

Post by vbooy57 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm

I used to draw tracks myself but nothing that detailed or well done.
vbooy57
Development Series Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 pm

vbooy57 wrote:I used to draw tracks myself but nothing that detailed or well done.
Thanks. Mine used to be extremely simple, I've just been drawing them for a long time. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

I plan on posting some more later.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Another racetrack of mine, and one of my favorite ovals.
Racetrack - Denver Raceway Park:
Obviously, this track would be near Denver, Colorado, and would be 1 kilometer (0.61 miles) in length. Both it's shape and size are supposed to semi-closely resemble the Indianapolis Raceway Park, but the track is banked and slick. Specifically; 29 degrees in each turn, 11 on the frontstretch, and 3 on the backstretch.

While the turns have regular banking, the inside line is especially slick and rather bumpy, requiring good car control to pass in that lane. Again, the whole track is slick in general, as it has worn asphalt. I imagine driving on it being similar to driving on a Bristol/Salem mix.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:30 am

The tracks I draw (or used to) were never that detailed, it was just something I did for a personal diecast league I used to do when I was younger.

Funny thing is, even though I haven't drawn them in about 4-5 years, I remember everything about them.
navycook75
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:22 pm

navycook75 wrote:The tracks I draw (or used to) were never that detailed, it was just something I did for a personal diecast league I used to do when I was younger.

Funny thing is, even though I haven't drawn them in about 4-5 years, I remember everything about them.
Same here, in that I remember near every detail of my tracks (the descriptions I have posted here are the first time I've actually written them out). I just like seeing my ideas on paper; the drawings don't really keep me from forgetting what they're like or anything.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Stock Car - #37:
The isn't supposed to be any particular type of stock car (although it very closely resembles the "Generation 4" NASCAR Cup cars). The brand is fictitious, and currently unnamed. As you may be able to tell, a lot of its inspiration came from Pontiac.

I've never been able to decide what I would ever want "my" sponsor to be, and I often draw sponsor-less cars. It may have become obvious from every NR2003 car that I've made at this point, but I would prefer this to be my paint scheme if I were ever to be able to race.

I'm also still learning how to draw with more perspective, as I have never been able to do that very well.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Racetrack - Ypsilanti Raceway:
This is more of a "normal" track, but still unique, and located in Ypsilanti, Michigan. At 1 mile in length, this symmetrical D-oval resembles a slightly larger Iowa or Richmond, but I like to imagine it as more of a half-sized Michigan.

It also has more banking than Richmond or Iowa, as the turns are banked at 18 degrees, and the D-oval at 12. The frontstretch is also a bit more round (which somewhat shortens the turns), and has an extra inside lane like Charlotte and Talladega. There's also a short but technical infield/outfield road course that I have not yet drawn.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Racetrack - Hanover Raceway:
I haven't "made" many dirt tracks, but this one is my favorite. Located in Hastings, Nebraska, it is a half-mile (0.805-km) in length, and, obviously, it is an egg-oval.

It is paved with clay, with turns 1 and 2 banked at 18 degrees. Turns 3 and 4 are banked at 18 degrees on the inside, and it progresses to 22 degrees on the outside. The preferred groove in those turns, depending on the driver and car, ranges from the inside to near the wall. The straightaways are also banked, at 12 degrees on both sides of the track.

The track also has some higher-quality facilities than most other dirt tracks, and a more conventional pit-lane and garage area, making it a favorite dirt oval for higher levels of stock car racing to visit.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vbooy57 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:55 pm

Keep these drawings coming man I really enjoy seeing the stuff you draw, it takes me back.
vbooy57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 pm

vbooy57 wrote:Keep these drawings coming man I really enjoy seeing the stuff you draw, it takes me back.
Thanks, glad to know this! More should be completed soon.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Racetrack - Hollandring:
Another road course, this one runs clockwise, is roughly 1.8 miles (2.9 km) is length, and is located near Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It is also one of the first road courses that I "made".

With a relatively short length and a somewhat small variety of corners, the track is somewhat simple, but very fun to driver (or at least I like to think that it would be). I imagine it being more of a touring car-friendly circuit, and, partially due to its location, I like to imagine that there are a fair amount of rain races here.

The final two corners are shallow-banked, leading to the finish line that is only just past the final (12th) turn. Runoff is somewhat limited all the way around the racetrack, and although I haven't made it obvious from the drawing, a lot of the runoff is paved, something that isn't the case in almost all of my other road courses.

There is also an alternate layout that bypasses the hairpin and the two straightaways that are connected to it.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Stock Car - #39:
I wanted to make a car with a company/brand that I've never seen sponsor a race car before, so I drew this peanut butter jar car.

Perhaps Jif has sponsored someone before, but no one that I'm aware of. Anyways, I thought that the colors on their jars could look good on a car, so I drew this. I am aware that the colors are somewhat pale, and I plan to darken them later.

I am also questioning my decision to color the spoiler yellow, but I suppose that it doesn't look too bad.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Racetrack - Buffalo Raceway of Clarence:
This is a half-mile (0.805 km) oval in Clarence, New York, near the city of Buffalo. With longer turns and shorter straights, the track is somewhat flowing, but not very fast, as the banking in the corners is a shallow 8 degrees.

However, the track's unique feature is it's elevation change. The backstretch is several meters taller than the frontstretch, which is the lowest point on the racing surface. The access tunnel doesn't actually go under the backstretch; the backstretch goes over the tunnel! The incline is from turn 1 to the very end of the backstretch, the descent is from turn 3 to the end of turn 4, and the frontstretch is level. The corners, however, have more severe changes in elevation than the backstretch. The pit lane, infield, and outfield are all level with the frontstretch, as the elevation of the rest of the track is built atop of mostly artificial embankment.

In Bowman-Gray fashion, all of the outside walls are Armco's, but the inside walls are shorter guard rails to allow more fans to see the cars from the lower seats of the frontstretch grandstands (Who needs safety?)! The areas with dashed lines that I've drawn are supposed to be the embankment in which the ground is sloped up to and down from the raised racing surface.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri May 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Racetrack - Domino's Raceway:
This track is based off of a diecast car racetrack that I constructed out of dominoes when I was younger (hence the title sponsor). It's basically a double drag strip connected by short, slow corners. It is located in Lansing, Michigan, and is 1 mile/1.609-km in length.

Its paper clip layout is similar to Martinsville, but with two major differences: the turns are a little shorter than Martinsville's, and the straights are over twice as long. There is next to no banking (3 degrees in the corners), and only enough room for pit boxes and an access road in the infield. The garage facilities are located outside of turns 3 and 4.

The racing surface is rather narrow. There are three racing lanes on the backstretch, but the apron becomes a fourth lane on the frontstretch. The turns are also wider by an extra two lanes, as it is easy for one to overshoot his/her braking points. I imagine that fender-benders would occur quite frequently.

Last edited by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Racetrack - Alameda Naval Complex:
My most recent drawing is of a track that I first thought up years ago, but I only finished the drawing this weekend. From rough measurements, I estimate this clockwise circuit to be about 3.5 miles (5.633 km) in length.

It is a temporary road course set on the grounds of the Naval Air Station Alameda in Alameda, California, across the bay from San Francisco. It is a former US Navy Naval Air Station that last operated in 1997. In reality, the whole facility would need a major renovation in order to feasibly host a car race, as the runways are generally in very bad condition. I have outlined the shoreline where Alameda Island (and Oakland, to the north) meet the San Francisco bay.

The layout starts with a long run into turn 1, which is a right-turn hairpin, but is sweeping, not tight or sharp. A short straightaway leads to turn 2, and after a long run into the sweeping turn 3, the track turns right again and onto the backstraightaway. The circuit has an optional chicane, but without it, it is a very long stretch to turn 5, which requires  heavy brake application. Another short run leads to a quadruple-apex, right-left-left-right chicane, with the first of those rights being much longer than the other three turns. Another short straight and one more left-hander leads back to the main straightaway.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam O'Brian on Wed May 14, 2014 4:29 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
Racetrack - Ypsilanti Raceway:
This is more of a "normal" track, but still unique, and located in Ypsilanti, Michigan. At 1 mile in length, this symmetrical D-oval resembles a slightly larger Iowa or Richmond, but I like to imagine it as more of a half-sized Michigan.

It also has more banking than Richmond or Iowa, as the turns are banked at 18 degrees, and the D-oval at 12. The frontstretch is also a bit more round (which somewhat shortens the turns), and has an extra inside lane like Charlotte and Talladega. There's also a short but technical infield/outfield road course that I have not yet drawn.

Ypsi Represent! Make it go around the Brick Dick
Liam O'Brian

View user profile http://NASCARacing.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Stock Car - #81:
I wanted to make a car with a purple and black color scheme, and decided that it could look nice with a little red/orange/yellow. The sponsors are fictitious, and the yellow hood logo is supposed to be an abstraction. The sides look a little empty of sponsorship, but I primarily made it to put my idea of the paint scheme onto paper.

I'm thinking that an orange hood logo and roof number may have looked better, but regardless, I am pleased with it.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Racetrack - Vermont Raceway:
This is one of my first tracks that I conceived. It is located in Rockingham, Vermont, and incorporates characteristics from a lot of real intermediate American ovals into its layout.

The shape of the track (obviously), is similar to Michigan, while it is about the length of Atlanta (1.55 miles/2.494 kilometers), and it is banked like Darlington (24 degrees in the turns 1 and 2, and 22 degrees in turns 3 and 4). Also similar to Darlington, turns 3 and 4 are tighter than 1 and 2. The difference is not great, and is hard to tell from the drawing, but it is significant enough to feel while driving.

The track also has another similarity to Darlington; it's frontstretch and backstretch have been swapped since it was opened. The original pit lane here, however, has been removed.

I imagine the racing product of the speedway to be similar to that of Rockingham (North Carolina), just with somewhat higher speeds. The racing surface is very old, and exceedingly abrasive and slick, causing significant tire falloff. Depending on how the driver races, how the car is handling, and how old your tires are, a wide variety of lines can be taken through the corners.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Racetrack - the National Speedway:
This is a one-mile American oval located in Vienna, Virginia called the National Speedway. I imagine that it was built a very long time ago, and while the track has been paved and repaved like most tracks are throughout the decades, the current surface is rather old.

The track surface has a rather high amount of grip, but it is very bumpy in the corners, which are virtually flat (the banking is a mere 2 degrees).

Oh yeah, the track runs clockwise, too. I have only created three ovals that can be run clockwise, and this is the only one that was designed to be run exclusively in that direction.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Racetrack - Maple Motor Speedway:
This is a 0.75-mile (1.207-km) oval in the small town of Clovis, New Mexico, about 5 miles west of the Texas border.

It is symmetrical, and a true oval circuit, meaning that both of its straightaways are curved. It is basically a Richmond International Raceway with a curved backstretch. Like Richmond, it is also banked at 14 degrees in the turns (while not attempting to replicate Richmond, I was actually unaware of its exact demographics when I first conceived this track), but the banking on each of the straightaways is 10 degrees, slightly greater than RIR's.

The racing surface is relatively smooth, with a moderate amount of grip, but the cornering speeds are a little faster than some would expect due to the arced turn entries and exits. The preferred racing groove is generally the inside line of the corners, similar to many oval racetracks.

Last edited by SpeedDemon37 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Racetrack - Flagstaff Raceway:
This square-shaped track is located just outside of Flagstaff, Arizona. It is a 2-mile (3.219-km) speedway with a moderately wide racing surface, and it may appear symmetrical (and looking from above, it is), but no two corners are alike. Turn 1 is banked at 12 degrees, turns 2 and 3 are both banked at 16 degrees, and turn 4 is banked at 18 degrees. All four straightaways are entirely flat.

There is a difference between turns 2 and 3, however; their surface composition. Most of the track is paved with asphalt, but the inside half of turn 2 is paved with higher-grip concrete. Turn 3 is also half-concrete, but it is the outside half, making the preferred groove in the middle of the track (the bottom lane of the concrete) and far from the inside line.

The racing here, I like to imagine, would be very high-speed. While the track has a rather narrow groove, it shifts high, as  previously mentioned, from turn 2 to 3 and back to low in 4. I imagine that getting a car to handle well all the way around this track would not be at all easy.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Stock Car - Volpi SR560:
This is part of a slightly extra-dimensional drawing that I made in art class last week. Its make (obviously) is Volpi from the TM Master Cup Series, but the exact type of chassis is not very specific. I sort of mixed the pre-2012 TMMCS car with a little bit of the present car, and this is what resulted.

I also attempted to incorporate shading into this drawing, something that I do not believe that I have done before.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Racetrack - Garden State Raceway:
This is a rather unique facility located not far from Cherry Hill, New Jersey. It is intended to be a mix of both a semi-professional oval (local short track) and semi-professional road course (club circuit).

The Garden State Raceway has two layouts, one of which is a 5/16-mile (0.3215 miles, 0.503 kilometers) oval short track. The oval is symmetrical and each corner is banked progressively from 16 to 20 degrees, while each straightaway is banked at 10 degrees. Despite being such a small track, it has extra grandstands in turns 3 and 4.

The other layout of the track is a narrow road course/oval mix that is approximately 1-mile/1.609-kilometers in length. Exiting the oval by going up the 10-degree banking on the backstretch just after turn 2 and into some right-left-right esses. A short straightstretch leads to the left-handed hairpin turn 5 and then a right-handed turn 6, which leads to the turn 7 carousel (which is rather tight for most "carousel corners"). A very short straight after the carousel is followed by the 180-degree, right-handed turn 8 that rejoins the oval just at the end of its backstretch.

Also, the carousel turn 7 is elevated lower than the rest of the racetrack. The right-handed turn 6 and the short run from there down to the carousel is downhill, while the very short straight following the carousel and turn 8 are both uphill.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam O'Brian on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
Racetrack - Garden State Raceway:
This is a rather unique facility located not far from Cherry Hill, New Jersey. It is intended to be a mix of both a semi-professional oval (local short track) and semi-professional road course (club circuit).

The Garden State Raceway has two layouts, one of which is a 5/16-mile (0.3215 miles, 0.503 kilometers) oval short track. The oval is symmetrical and each corner is banked progressively from 16 to 20 degrees, while each straightaway is banked at 10 degrees. Despite being such a small track, it has extra grandstands in turns 3 and 4.

The other layout of the track is a narrow road course/oval mix that is approximately 1-mile/1.609-kilometers in length. Exiting the oval by going up the 10-degree banking on the backstretch just after turn 2 and into some right-left-right esses. A short straightstretch leads to the left-handed hairpin turn 5 and then a right-handed turn 6, which leads to the turn 7 carousel (which is rather tight for most "carousel corners"). A very short straight after the carousel is followed by the 180-degree, right-handed turn 8 that rejoins the oval just at the end of its backstretch.

Also, the carousel turn 7 is elevated lower than the rest of the racetrack. The right-handed turn 6 and the short run from there down to the carousel is downhill, while the very short straight following the carousel and turn 8 are both uphill.

Reminds me of every NASCAR go kart video game ever.
Liam O'Brian

View user profile http://NASCARacing.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Racetrack - Bohmega Superspeedway:
This is one of the first tracks that I ever thought of, but I consider it to be too much of a copy of an existing track named "Talladega" to be considered original. Nevertheless, I have changed my vision of this track over the years and have made it slightly more unique.

This tri-oval superspeedway is located in Montgomery, Alabama (again, 'dega rip-off Razz ). It is 2.75 miles (4.426 km) in length and paved with concrete. The turns are banked at 32 degrees, the tri-oval at 16 degrees, and the straightaways at 4 degrees. The banking transitions between the turns and the straights are constructed in a way in which the banking flattens out by "rolling down" (similar to Daytona) instead of "dropping off" (like Talladega).

The start/finish line, like Talladega, is located past the pit lane, but the line at this track is located further away from the tri-oval and closer to turn 1 (in the center of the second part of the frontstretch). There is no paved runoff anywhere on the infield, and the backstretch wall is an artificial dirt wall. This is a blatant rip-off of the Tally 87 track for NR2003. Most of the rest of the inside walls are Armco barriers.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Racetrack - Tallahassee Superspeedway:
Having already showed my Talladega clone, here is my Daytona clone! Razz

The Tallahassee Superspeedway, located in northern Florida, is a 2.6-mile (4.184-km) tri-oval superspeedway. The banking is identical to that of the also-fictitious Bohmega Superspeedway (32-degree corners, 16-degree tri-oval, and 4-degree straights), but the banking transitions from the corners to straightaways here are in "drop off" design, similar to Talladega, instead of the banking rolling off like Bohmega and the real Daytona.

The racing surface is freshly-repaved, glass-smooth asphalt (this was actually not copied from Daytona; I imagined this before the recent repaving of Daytona was ever announced). The track is narrower than Daytona is by a couple of meters, but the fresh, high-grip pavement allows three-wide racing to remain very much feasible. It is a little more difficult to avoid big accidents, however, and much more difficult to attempt to race four-wide.

There is also an alternate infield road course layout, which is run counterclockwise like the oval.

One of the grandest features of the facility has nothing to do with the track itself, though. The frontstretch grandstands complex is one of the most spectacular in all of racing. The outside stands, much taller than most other tracks, tower over the frontstretch, and there are substantial stands in the infield along the pit lane, as well. There is a spectator tunnel that spans across the exit of the tri-oval, many stories above the racetrack, from the superstructure of the pit-lane stands to a superstructure that is located between two levels of the outside stands. This, too, is actually not an idea that was taken from Daytona, as I imagined all of this before the current Daytona Rising project was announced.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Racetrack - Thames Valley Circuit:
This is a racetrack located not far outside of London. It runs in a clockwise direction, and is the third European road course that I ever made. I suppose that it’s nothing extraordinary, but I personally really like what I imagine it to be.

The track surface has a medium grip level; not very slick while not high-grip, either. There are an array of high-speed corners and lengthy straightaways, but there are plenty of slower corners, as well.

The circuit has several different possible configurations, but I imagine that the longest possible layout (which has 16 turns) would be 2.485 miles (4 kilometers) in length. There isn’t much elevation change; the only thing that is noticeable is that the carousel (the corner closest to the top-right corner of the paper) is slightly higher than the rest of the track, with a slight uphill run on corner entry and slight downhill on corner exit. The carousel is also not nearly as long, sweeping, or fast as many other “carousel corners”.

I have also "redesigned" (redrawn) the final three corners of the track multiple times, as I originally could not come up with a set of turns that I liked. I eventually created this configuration.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:09 pm

Racetrack - Anchorage Raceway:
This is a simple, yet interesting road course located near Anchorage, Alaska. Measuring in at approximately 1.75 miles (2.816 kilometers) in length, this clockwise circuit hosts many of the few major auto races in the US state of Alaska, primarily touring cars.

The layout includes a very long frontstretch and a long, high-speed first turn. I imagine the first three corners to be extremely fun to drive.

Once you pass the pit lane, the frontstretch goes moderately downhill, but the sweeping turn 1 slowly goes back uphill. The track goes downhill again in the right-handed turn 2, and back up again in the left-handed turn 3. The slight left-handed bend that is called turn 4 and remainder of the lap is mostly flat, aside from a large bump/small hill in the tiny straightaway right after turn 8 (the one closest to the top-left of the paper).

Of the two consecutive turns that appear to be at sqaure 90 degree angles (turns 5 and 6), turn 5 is actually supposed to be slightly less than 90 degrees, and turn 6 is supposed to be slightly more. The sweeping turn 7 is flat out, and once you corner turn 8, you can drive with your foot to the floor through the two minor bends that follow it and all the way down into turn 1.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Racetrack - Autodromo Vicenza:
This is a counterclockwise oval racetrack stadium located near the northeastern Italian city of Vicenza. I would like to imagine large karting events and some minor stock car races being held here.

It is based heavily on the existing Bowman-Gray Stadium in the U.S. state of North Carolina. This track is extremely short at 400 meters (0.2485 miles) in length, with each straight and each turn being 100 meters. The entire track is completely unbanked. I imagine the racing surface to be about a lane wider than Bowman-Gray, but the preferred groove is still very narrow.

The pit entrance is a sharp turn to the outside of the track in turn 1, passing under the grandstands to connect pit road, which is located along turns 1 and 2 and the backstretch outside of the stadium. The pit exit rejoins the racetrack after passing under the stands once more in turn 3.

The outside wall in turns 1 and 2 and the backstretch is an Armco barrier, while the outside wall in turns 3 and 4 and the frontstretch is concrete. There are also temporary Armcos set up on the inside of the straightaways to protect the association football field that the racetrack surrounds.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Wolf on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 am

Never, in my wildest dreams, could I put as much effort and detail into crafting track ideas as you have. All of these are absolutely fantastic. Astounding work, SpeedDemon!

I have several track ideas, but I feel like there are only three that are realistic and organized enough to really mention. I'll post them sometime soon.
Electric Wolf
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Casey Lester wrote:Never, in my wildest dreams, could I put as much effort and detail into crafting track ideas as you have. All of these are absolutely fantastic. Astounding work, SpeedDemon!

I have several track ideas, but I feel like there are only three that are realistic and organized enough to really mention. I'll post them sometime soon.
Thank you, it's appreciated! It would be great to see others' ideas for tracks, too.
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Racetrack - International Raceway of the Hawaiian Islands:
This is one of the more simple tracks that I have created, although I personally like its simplicity (logistically, however, it's pretty unrealistic).

Located just northwest of Wahiawā near the center of the island of O'ahu, the IRHI is a half-mile (0.402-kilometer) oval. The corners are banked at 11 degrees except for the very inside lane, which is only banked at 8 degrees. Each straightaway (including the frontstretch bend) has 5 degrees of banking. The track surface is paved with concrete, being constructed with the material regarding the Hawaiian climate.

I imagine that the track would primarily host some smaller international exhibition races and maybe a race for a major stock car championship. The speeds here generally tend to be much slower than most other ovals, but there are usually multiple grooves that drivers can work with, allowing varying driving styles to be useful. Races here can also be expected to produce plenty of crushed fenders and scraped doors.

Interestingly enough, "wahi a wā" in Hawaiian means "place of noise". So an auto racing track would seem perfectly appropriate for this area! Razz

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue May 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Racetrack - Atlanta International Speedway:
This is my most recently-completed drawing (as well as my most recent idea for a race track). It may not be extraordinarily unique, but for whatever reason, I really love how it turned out.

AIS is a two-mile (3.219-km) tri-oval located just outside of the city of Atlanta. The turns are banked at 18 degrees, the frontstretch (and tri-oval) at 12 degrees, and the backstretch at 6 degrees. The curvature of  the tri-oval is very minimal, similarly to the frontstretches at the existing Michigan and Texas World D-ovals. Essentially, driving on the frontstretch feels more like one long "D" curve rather than two chute straights connected by a hard bend. The preferred groove is generally the inside line.

Its characteristics turned out to be very similar to the Michigan International Speedway. Being completely honest, I wasn't trying to draw inspiration from MIS at all for this track. It simply happened to turn into, more-or-less, an MIS with a slightly-different frontstretch. I haven't "made" many tracks like it, however, so I like to think of it as being a little more unique.

The track was designed with open wheel racing in mind, and hosts very high-speed American championship car events. The wide racing surface is intended to make side-by-side racing a little more safe. Stock car races are also held at the speedway.

Pit road is not parallel to the general direction of the frontstretch, and the pit wall contours into the  shape of the curved tri-oval rather than the straight pit road. The distance between the racing surface and the inside walls is not consistent throughout a lap.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Racetrack - Utah International:
This is a racetrack that was designed by my friend. He has drawn several tracks of his own, but I have only ever redrawn a few of them to make the details match my personal style of drawing.

Utah International is a fast, clockwise, 2.5-mile (4.023-km) road course located outside of Salt Lake City. It almost appears to be an oversized karting track, and has little corner variety. The track has eight turns, with the first 6 of them being either 90 degrees or 180 degrees, all of which are fast and sweeping. Despite the simplicity in its design, it is capable of producing some very close races.

The final two corners (turns 7 and 8 ) are the most challenging part of the lap, as turn 7 tightens towards its end, forcing drivers to have to change input in throttle and steering while already cornering at high speed. There is also no preferred line to transition from the left-handed turn 7 into the right-handed turn 8, as some drivers drive along the bottom of turn 8 while others drive along the outside.

There is virtually no elevation change throughout the lap, and none of the corners are banked with the exception of a mere 3 degrees of banking on the outside halves of turns 7 and 8. Little has been constructed in terms of runoff; the walls are generally placed far away from the racing surface.

Last edited by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Racetrack - Reno International Speedring:
This track is not as unique as some of my other tracks, but it is another one of my personal favorites. I know that the drawing looks simliar to Autodromo Vicenza, but the two tracks are very different from each other.

Located in Reno, Nevada near the Nevada-California border, the Reno International Speedring is a 3/8-mile (0.604-kilometer) stadium oval. As far as short tracks go, it is supposed to be the grandest of them all.

The racing surface is paved with asphalt, banked at 24 degrees in the corners, and banked at 12 degrees on the straightaways. Speeds here tend to be much higher (and more consistent throughout a lap) than most other short tracks of similar length, although they are obviously not as high as they are on larger ovals. The preferred line is generally the inside lane in the corners, but it is very much possible to retain enough momentum on the outside lanes to complete passes there, as well.

In unconventional fashion, the apron lines the outside of the racing surface (except for the backstretch, where there is no apron between the track and the outside wall). The pit entrance is on the outside of turn 2, and the pit exit is on the outside of the entrance to turn 3. Both of the pit lane access roads run underneath the grandstands and into an air hangar-sized indoor pit road and garage area that is located outside of the stadium. Cars are not allowed to cross from the apron to the racing surface or vice-versa in the turns, although it would not make much sense to race through that lane in the corners, anyway, considering the location of the backstretch wall. Cars can, however, use the apron on the frontstretch, and usually do so to arc off of turn 4 and into turn 1, making speed and passing opportunities a little more common on that half of the racetrack. The mini-pit road on the inside of the frontstretch can only hold about one dozen cars, and is normally used only for testing and for the pace car during races.

This is the second of three stadium tracks that I have "made", and unlike Autodromo Vicenza, RIS has a partial roof. It extends over the two levels of grandstands that surround the track, but not all the way out to the oval, itself. I have drawn neither the roof over the grandstands nor the roof over the pits/garage area, as that would clearly obstruct the view of the facility!

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:59 pm

Racetrack - Czechring:
The Czechring is an expansive motor racing facility located just outside of Prague. The full layout of the circuit features long straightaways, sweeping bends, technical complexes, severe changes in elevation, three tunnels, and a bridge. I could probably write an essay explaining every unique detail of the circuit, but I will try to minimize my analysis. Razz

The enormous facility consists of a one-mile oval which contains the pit lane and the garages, an infield section with its own grid and start/finish line, and two separate outfield sections (one of which is significantly longer than the other). With two optional chicanes in addition to these different sections, the number of layouts that can be utilized in incredibly numerous.

The oval is banked progressively at 16-20 degrees in the turns with flat straightaways. It is one of three ovals that I have created that can be run clockwise, but there is no exclusive direction. The small outfield section has a tunnel underneath an oval turn on one end and a connection to the oval backstretch on the other. This section contains three basic corners with little change in elevation.

However, by far the longest portion of the track is the southeast outfield section. If one is driving clockwise through turn 3 of the oval, they would exit the oval by driving up the banking in turn 4, entering an uphill section of track that bends slightly to the right as the banking flattens (the right side of the racing surface rises to become level with the left side). As soon as the track flattens, the course turns downhill in a very fast left-hander, which leads onto a long straightaway that begins as downhill, but becomes uphill after passing under the bridge. A tight hairpin leads to another uphill straightaway, at the end of which the track levels before going downhill again into a technical section of ess/hairpin combinations.

The driver picks up speed again as they reach the circuit's southernmost straight, flying through a left-handed turn and into a tunnel that passes under one of the earlier straightaways. The tunnel exits onto a bridge that passes over the straightstretch parallel to the one above the tunnel. Between the bridge and the next corner the track transitions from downhill to level, and the rest of the lap is mostly flat. Next is a section of four sweepers (one right-handed followed by three right-handers), each of one is tighter than the last. After a few more corners, the circuit tunnels underneath the oval once more, where one either turns left to return to the oval (or the pit lane) or continues straight to stay on the road course.

I imagine the longest possible layout to be approximately 5.346 miles and 8.603 kilometers in length. My personal favorite configuration (the one that my fantasy sports car championship utilizes) is slightly shorter, at 5.33 miles and 8.578 kilometers.

I am aware that the geography of Prague would not at all match that of the land on which this track was built. For that I give the excuse of liking to use my imagination. Razz

Czechring (full layout highlighted):
Here is the above drawing with crudely-drawn lines indicating the layout utilized for the annual sports car race in May; the circuit's premier event.

The blue sections highlight the chicanes that would be used to extend the circuit to its maximum length.

Last edited by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Racetrack - Odessa Avtosport Park:
My most recent drawing is a 2-kilometer (1.248-mile) speedway located not far outside the city of Odessa in Ukraine.

The Odessa Avtosport Park is an egg-shaped counterclockwise oval, and I mean "egg-shaped" quite literally. The track is entirely rounded, with the "straightaways" being curved. Turns 1 and 2 are very short, and much tighter than turns 3 and 4, which are still relatively short despite being longer than 1 and 2. The "turns" on either end of the track are banked at 30 degrees, while the "straightaways" are banked at 10 degrees.

The racing surface is paved with asphalt and is fairly wide. With smooth transitions in the tightness of the curvature of the racing surface throughout the track, momentum can be carried well throughout the lap. This, combined with the banking, generally allows speeds at the track to be greater than at most other ovals of similar size.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Racetrack - Kyiv Avtodrom:
This is my newest road course drawing, and it is one of my personal favorites.

Kyiv Avtodrom is a 10-kilometer (6.214-mile), clockwise racing circuit located outside the city of Kyiv. The majority of the time taken to lap this extremely long circuit is done so at very high speed. There are also two alternate layouts that bypass a large section of the racetrack, both of which are approximately 6.321 kilometers (3.928 miles) in length. The racing surface is fairly wide and is paved mostly with asphalt, although some portions of the track are paved with concrete.

To try to give a correct perspective on the size of the track, the turns located in the first section of the track (about the first five of them or so) are not very tight, and the straights that connect them are not as short as they probably appear. As with most tracks, I have drawn the racing surface to be wider than it actually is in order to make it easier to see and to draw.

Some signature corners include turn 2, the esses, and turn 20. Turn 2 - the left-handed, 180° corner - has a steep, somewhat spiraling, downhill grade. Most of that elevation is regained in an uphill run through the flat out turn 8, which is the long right-hander closest to the top of the picture. The esses consist of turns 11 through 15. Each of the first three are tighter than the one before, and the last two are more like a pair of rather tight turns. Finally, turn 20 (the final corner of the lap) partially encircles a lake, is slightly banked at 3 degrees, and is really, really long. Depending on which type of racecar is being driven, the corner is usually taken at full throttle or with very minimal lift. The turn slowly exits onto the home stretch, which itself is very long compared to most other circuits. Speeds achieved approaching turn one are usually extremely fast. The home stretch also features grand garage facilities, as well as some impressive grandstands with a superstructure build atop the largest one.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Racetrack - Streets of Ortonville:
This is my first street circuit that I ever created. Ortonville is a small town nearby where I live, and to construct a professional racing circuit into it would be absolutely unrealistic (much of the circuit is narrower than Monaco, and a lot of the roads are bumpy and uneven). I imagine the roads to have been freshly repaved to become smoother than they are in reality, and most of the roads are lined with temporary Armco barriers. Despite its unrealistic nature (and the fact that it's technically unoriginal due to being made up of existing roads), it is one of my favorite racetracks that I have ever drawn!

The racetrack runs clockwise, and has a fairly simple layout of seven turns. The finish line is located just at the entrance to downtown, where the rest of the frontstretch runs through on the approach to turn 1, which is a tight and ridiculously-narrow 90-degree right-hander. The course leaves downtown after turn 3, where the pit lane rejoins the racetrack. Between turns 4 and 5 is a small bridge that runs over a creek.

The first four turns are very similar in that they are tight, flat, and approximately 90 degrees. Turn 5, however, is a much longer bend, and also runs uphill. After turn 5, the course slowly goes downhill until turn 6, a double-apex hairpin that leads onto the backstretch; highway M-15. The stretch is twice as wide as the rest of the course and is approximately one kilometer in length. A heavy braking zone leads to a hairpin turn 7, and the track quickly funnels from its widest point to the only point narrower than turn 1; the first quarter of the frontstretch. The run to the finish line includes two shallow hills, and the road slowly widens until returning to the finish line. The pit entrance is located just past the finish line, and is a 90-degree turn to the right of the racing surface. Pit road, itself, is moderately wide, and can utilize pit stalls on both side of the road.

There are runoff areas located on the roads past both turn 1 and turn 7, in the case that any car should overshoot them or experience brake problems.

I have also created two alternate courses, both of which include about 95% of this one. Of of them is simply a longer street circuit, and the other is an extremely long rally circuit, which includes miles of dirt roads.

In the drawing that I made of the original 1.8-mile layout, I have added the athletics track of a former high school, as well as the two creeks that flow through the town (there is only one bridge; the other three intersections of road and creek have tunnels where the water flows underneath the roads).

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Racetrack - Dickinson County Fairgrounds Speedway:
This motorsports complex consists of dual oval racetracks. There is a third-mile (0.536-kilometer) paved oval, which is surrounded by a half-mile (0.805-kilometer) dirt oval. In my imagination, it is the host venue for one of the world's most prestigious stock car events; an invitational held on the paved oval composed of a Chili Bowl-esque series of qualifiers and a 100-lap feature of 29 cars.

The facility was built in 1921 nearby the town of Norway, MI, with the inner oval being one of the first paved racetracks. Original plans called for only a half-mile dirt oval with a paved pit area to its inside, but were changed to widen the pit lane and add banking to create a paved, separate oval layout. Whichever of the two layouts is hosting a race, the other is usually used as pit road. There is also a short, purpose-built pit road on the outside of turns 3 and 4 of the dirt oval, which is usually used to accommodate the extra cars entered in the Labor Day 100 invitational.

The paved oval is banked at 10 degrees for the entire lap. There is an extra lane on the outside of the frontstretch, allowing wider and faster exits off of turn 4 and entries into turn 1. The outside of the frontstretch is lined with concrete walls, but the rest of the walls are Armcos (and the small portion just past the start/finish line is a single guard rail). A unique feature on the outside of turns 3 and 4 is a gravel trap, and there are also tire barriers lining the Armco there. There are openings for pitting in the outside walls of the entrance to turn 1 and the exit of turn 2, as well as an opening for access at the end of the backstretch. The small road that runs through the middle of the oval is for the pace car.

The dirt track is also banked at 10 degrees in turns 1 and 2 (the banking in these corners is uninterrupted from the bottom lane of the asphalt to the top lane of the dirt). In turns 3 and 4, however, the banking is 22 degrees and over twice as steep as the other end of the track, and the straightaways are banked at 3 degrees. The entire outside wall is concrete. Between the inside of the track and the inside Armco barriers are a few yards of grass, but between the outside of the track and the wall on the backstretch is concrete, which is used as pit boxes for the races held on the inner oval. This concrete pit box lane extends into the purpose-built pit road on the outside of turns 3 and 4.

The same flagstand is used for both ovals, and is on the outside of the inner oval and the inside of the outer oval.

Despite its simple design, the paved 1/3-miler produces some very exciting racing. With the most recent coating of asphalt being applied in 1979, the preferred groove is often different from car to car and from driver to driver. The racing surface is rather wide for a short track, but its slick nature makes running more than two-wide difficult (although three-wide racing is by no means uncommon). Over the years it has seen its fair share of close races, spectacular pileups, and thrilling photo finishes.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:23 am

Racetrack - Strawberry Lake Park:
This track is based off of a paved biking and walking pathway that encircles Strawberry Lake in the town of Norway, Michigan. In my imagination, however, this pathway is a 2-mile (3.219-km), counterclockwise, incredibly challenging racing circuit. Of all of my road courses, I imagine that this one would be one of the most difficult (and thrilling) ones on which to race.

Being based off of what is essentially a paved hiking trail, I imagine the racing circuit to be extremely narrow, and contouring into the shape of the terrain. Most of the circuit has virtually no runoff, and trees are mere feet from the racing surface throughout much of the lap. It could be considered to be much more similar to a paved rally circuit than a standard grand prix course.

Most of the first half of the lap consists of either quick bends or tight, winding, and slow technical corners (with a very sharp hairpin located right on the lakeshore). Just past where the track splits past the access road to the second dock (where the racing surface turns right), the track goes uphill in a rather sharp climb, leveling out after the left-hander just past it. From this point, most of the rest of the lap consists of flat out s-bends with a very shallow downhill grade. Following the backstretch (which by far the fastest part of the track) are the final three turns, which are very tight and close to 90 degrees. Pit road is located unconventionally far from the frontstretch racing surface.

I have drawn the few permanent walls that I imagine there to be, but when major races are held, most of the circuit's becomes lined with temporary concrete barriers. I have also drawn the two fishing docks that exist on the real lake. In the middle of the complex of corners between the two docks is a bridge that crosses the river that empties into the lake.

I imagine the premier race that is held here to be an open-wheel event that is part of a junior formula championship (which would perhaps be quite unsafe, but in terms of track width and wall proximity, the track is basically a forested Guia Circuit)! For the majority of the remainder of the racing season, it hosts club racing, driving experiences, and cycling events.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Racetrack - Tennessee International Raceway:
Tennessee International Raceway is a 1.4-mile (2.253-kilometer) egg-oval racetrack located outside of the city of Nashville. The track may appear to be very similar to the existing Darlington Raceway, but I actually did not draw inspiration from any real track to create this one. I would say that it is more similar to Gateway Motorsports Park than Darlington, but it is still quite different than Gateway.

The track features a racing surface that is wider than most other ovals, is paved with asphalt, and has a moderate amount of grip. Turns 1 and 2 are banked at 12 degrees. However, turns 3 and 4 (which are much tighter than 1 and 2) are banked twice as steeply at 24 degrees. The track was designed with the goal of stock cars achieving very similar speeds on either end of the track despite the great variation in corner radii.

The infield grass that existed on the inside of turns 1 and 2 was paved over during the track's most recent resurfacing. The only grass that remains on the infield is to the inside of the frontstretch.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:42 pm

Racetrack - Calgary Speedpark:
This is one of my newest ovals, but it has become one of my favorites.

Calgary Speedpark is a 1-mile (0.609-kilometer) irregular tri-oval located in Alberta, Canada, not far from the city of Calgary. At first glance it appears to be a copy of Nazareth Speedway (which is one of my favorite racetracks of all time, by the way), but I actually took no inspiration from any real track while creating this one; it just turned out to look very similar. This track has a slightly shorter first "chute" on the frontstretch than the second chute, whereas both straightaway chutes on the frontstretch of Nazareth appear to be very similar in length.

In rather unconventional fashion, the highest-banked turn on the track is actually the tri-oval, with 24 degrees. Turns 1 and 2 have 18 degrees of banking while turns 3 and 4 have 20. Each part of the frontstretch is 16 degrees, higher than the turns of many other tracks. The backstretch is the only "flat" part, being banked at 6 degrees.

The tri-oval, despite how tight that it is, is designed to be taken at full throttle. Drivers have to turn the wheel very hard to make the corner and be extra cautious not to have their car step out and lose control or to swing wide and into the wall. With the quick turn and the extra g-forces, it almost feels as if it's a roller coaster bend. Think of driving it as being similar to a tighter, yet faster version of the dogleg at Phoenix.

There is a pedestrian bridge that crosses over the backstretch.

Thanks in part to the banking, Calgary is a very fast racetrack. The surface is slick enough to where the back end of the cars are usually very free and very loose, but there is enough grip to where the cars do not lose much speed. As a result, drivers are normally on-edge through the corners. Races here tend to be very close, and drivers can try all sorts of racing lines all throughout the track; there's hardly a preferred groove.

SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rovenami on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Does 3D modeling count? If so, this is what I am working on so far:
Rovenami
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

View user profile