Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racing "Did You Know" Thread

+42
Cynon
flyingturns89
gone-sovereign
The_Wall_91
RetrogradeRenegade
Rovenami
RedViperGaming
Ceej
simonracer
PYLrulz
Lucstar88
BooyakaDragon
crl
Baxter
Backmarker
RyanB06
Ben Atkins
Syzygy
Tanrar
vbooy57
RACECAR
pennst24
Metro 6r4
RealRacer4
Mother of Invention
Jason Hamilton
GamerAzuzu
Mystrsyko
Sparkz47
Rykia
NASCARLOVER427
tommykl
BWard
SpeedDemon37
Alta
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
navycook75
Pyrozooka0
Nascar9fan
Milan655
bsoyuz
Alpineopossum
46 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Racing "Did You Know" Thread

Post by Mother of Invention Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:40 pm

I found a video of the 3rd round of the SCCA Trans-Am series was a bit weird.

1.) Tommy Kendall wont he pole but could only start 6th due to a paperwork snafu
2.) The track used a small portion of a small airport in Suburban Dallas, that despite being partially used by SCCA, it was still active during race time.
Mother of Invention
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 am

This will be the first time since 1994 that the number one won't be present in the Formula One grid.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanrar Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:20 am

The 2007 NASCAR Cup season regularly had large entry lists, averaging about 48-51 cars a race. The largest entry list was for the Daytona 500 with 61 cars, and the smallest was at Fontana with 46 cars, which by this year's entry list standards, is pretty good.
Tanrar
Tanrar
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:14 am

navycook75 wrote:Nobody has led the Indy 500 flag to flag. The closest was in 1912 when Ralph DePalma led 196 laps until something broke and he and his riding mechanic tried pushing his car across the line. He would complete 198 laps.

I found out that this fact is false.

Billy Arnold led 198 laps to his only Indy 500 victory in 1930.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Jochen Rindt is the only motor racing driver to win a World Championship posthumously. Rindt was a strong contender in the 1970 Formula One World Championship, winning five out of thirteen races, including four consecutive victories. As such, he held a strong points lead going into the Italian Grand Prix at Monza for the tenth race of the season. During his fifth lap of the final practice session of that race weekend, he lost control of his Lotus 72C under braking for the Parabolica corner, counter steered, and hit the crash barrier. The barrier parted, the suspension dug in underneath it, and the car hit a stanchion head on. Rindt was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead.

Theoretically Rindt could have been overtaken by Ferrari driver Jacky Ickx for the points lead, but with Rindt's Lotus teammate Emerson Fittipaldi winning the penultimate race at the United States Grand Prix, Ickx was deprived of the points he needed to win the title, thus making Jochen Rindt the 1970 World Champion. The championship trophy was presented to Rindt's widowed wife, Nina Lincoln.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucstar88 Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Ray Evernham tweeted this picture Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 5 B6syIirIQAAMAjr

Gordon was supposed to use the 46, and Gordon's stepdad was going to trademark the number, but realised that it was already trademarked by Paramount Pictures for the *Days of Thunder* movie. Hendrick was also ok with 46 before finding out, because Rick had the 46 in 89. And then used it again for the movie. So Bickford (Gordon's Stepdad) told Rick that they needed to change number. They decided on 24, because the 24 had never won a Cup race. Also the car was supposed to be black in the middle, not blue, from Sam Bass's creation.

And the rest is history! Heck we may never see the 24 again IF Hendrick never wants it back on track after Jeff's retirement. (Well people said that about the 3 Razz)
Lucstar88
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:26 pm

- As many of its fans know, Pontiac withdrew from NASCAR following the completion of the 2003 season, with most Pontiac teams switching to the other GM brand of Chevrolet. However, before GM announced that Pontiac was departing, there was still one team that was planning to race with the brand in 2004; MB2 Motorsports. Here is a 1:64 diecast of the team's #10 car from 2004 as a Pontiac. By the time that the real car hit the track in February, it was a Monte Carlo.

Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 5 2004ScottRiggsPontiacUltra-vi
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:35 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:- As many of its fans know, Pontiac withdrew from NASCAR following the completion of the 2003 season, with most Pontiac teams switching to the other GM brand of Chevrolet. However, before GM announced that Pontiac was departing, there was still one team that was planning to race with the brand in 2004; MB2 Motorsports. Here is a 1:64 diecast of the team's #10 car from 2004 as a Pontiac. By the time that the real car hit the track in February, it was a Monte Carlo.

Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 5 2004ScottRiggsPontiacUltra-vi

No joke, I have that diecast car as well.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 pm

http://racing-reference.info/race/1951-23/W

This is the closest thing to Nascar having a Brotherly 1-2-3.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 am

navycook75 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:Nobody has led the Indy 500 flag to flag. The closest was in 1912 when Ralph DePalma led 196 laps until something broke and he and his riding mechanic tried pushing his car across the line. He would complete 198 laps.

Then again, from what I am reading, Arnold lead the LAST 198 laps. Kinda hard to lead every lap when you didn't lead the first two Wink
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:55 am

PYLrulz wrote:
navycook75 wrote:

Then again, from what I am reading, Arnold lead the LAST 198 laps.  Kinda hard to lead every lap when you didn't lead the first two Wink
What I meant was, the fact is false because I forgot Billy Arnold led more laps than Ralph DePalma.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:20 pm

Kenny Brack has a band called Kenny Brack and the Subwoofers whick actually opened for bands during an Indy 500 concert on two occasions. (2003 and 2004)

In a music video in tribute to AJ Foyt (Song is Legend of the Speedway, made by Kenny Brack and the Subwoofers) the person who portrays AJ Foyt is no other then Tyler Walker. (Yes, THE Tyler Walker)
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:59 am

The 1952 German Grand Prix is the only Formula One race (that at least counted for the World Championship anyway, not sure if any non championship raced did) to have triple digit numbers.

http://racing-reference.info/race/1952_Grand_Prix_of_Germany/F
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by tommykl Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:11 pm

navycook75 wrote:The 1952 German Grand Prix is the only Formula One race (that at least counted for the World Championship anyway, not sure if any non championship raced did) to have triple digit numbers.

Not sure in which year, but Lella Lombardi competed in a British Grand Prix with number 208. She didn't qualify though.
tommykl
tommykl
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:21 pm

tommykl wrote:
navycook75 wrote:The 1952 German Grand Prix is the only Formula One race (that at least counted for the World Championship anyway, not sure if any non championship raced did) to have triple digit numbers.

Not sure in which year, but Lella Lombardi competed in a British Grand Prix with number 208. She didn't qualify though.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:42 am

Kevin Harvick has been the first double winner in a season 3 out of the last 5 years (2011, 2014, 2015)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

https://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm

I learned these facts from an interview with James Hinchliffe on the NBC Sports Network following the IndyCar Grand Prix of Louisiana.

- Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Motorsports' two current drivers share some rather odd similarities in their fathers' backgrounds. Both Hinchcliffe's father and Jakes' father (as well as Jakes, himself) were originally from Leeds, England. Both of them eventually moved to the same town in Ontario, Canada, and both of them had sons named James, both of whom not only race in the Verizon IndyCar Series, but do so as teammates.

I found this to be somewhat similar to a personal "small world" story of my own. One of my best friends is of Italian descent, but it wasn't until shortly after we met that we discovered that our families originate from the exact same Italian town (and according to his grandfather, members of each of our families who live there are personal friends with each other). Our first-generation North American family members moved here between 50 and 100 years ago, but our American families never knew of each other until me and my friend met.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:01 am

-Every NASCAR Sprint Cup victory for the car number #24 has come from Jeff Gordon.

-The only driver to make their Daytona 500 debut this year was Ty Dillon. He also made the race in his first attempt. Granted, that may happen when you've got RCR equipment...

-This is an advertisement for the 1937 German GP at Nürburgring Nordschleife, eventually won by the German Rudolf Caracciola. Note the flags in the background:

Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 5 300px-1937_German_Grand_Prix_poster
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:50 am

During the 2006 Daytona RC IROC Event, it was mentioned that Tony Stewart was trying to Eldora on the IROC calendar. Sadly IROC died after 2006.

Howdy Wilcox II (No relation to the 1919 Indy 500 champ Howdy Wilcox) was disqualified before the start of the 1932 Indy 500 because he was having medical problems due to his diabetes. There were multiple attempts to get him re-instated (by multiple drivers no less) before race time, but his car ended up being driven by eventual winner (and future three time winner) Mauri Rose. Following the race Wilcox sued the speedway for slander, claiming reports had labeled him epileptic rather than diabetic. The $50,000 suit was settled for $3000.

Wilcox also added the "II" to his name so he wouldn't be confused with the 1919 winner.

The way he died was kind of weird as well. He died on October 13, 1946 in Converse, Indiana. He had stepped onto the track to wave the checkered flag for Jimmy Wilburn and was hit by the car of Kenneth Wines who was following close behind.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by simonracer Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:11 am

bsoyuz wrote:
I think that another race that had more than 100 entries, was at Daytona Beach Road Course in the 50s
That was a Modified-Sportsman race, and something like 130 cars ended up racing. There was also the infamous Sportsman race at Langhorne (a 1 mile circular dirt oval) in 1951 where 106 cars started. The race ended with the longest crash in NASCAR history, a pileup lasting for about a minute involving officially 12 cars, although judging by video footage the actual number was more like double that.

simonracer
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

Post by tommykl Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

In 1961, Formula One changed its points system from 8-6-4-3-2-1 to 9-6-4-3-2-1, thus giving the race winner one extra point. However, the points for constructors remained 8-6-4-3-2-1. The discrepancy was realigned for 1962. The season remains the only one when different systems were used for drivers and constructors.
tommykl
tommykl
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:23 am

The famous Darlington banking wasn't the ideal racing line back in the early days. Quite a few races were run on the track’s flat apron because the banking was rough and abrasive and quickly wore tires down to the cords.

Johnny Mantz had a very unusual strategy for the inaugural Southern 500. He used truck tires instead of car tires, as he realized that car tires wouldn't last the entire race. As a result he didn't have to change tires.

I heard a fact that someone realized that the banking was faster than the apron, and went with that for the entire race, don't know who it was, but given the previous fact it could be Johnny Mantz, but I don't know for sure.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:09 pm

navycook75 wrote:The famous Darlington banking wasn't the ideal racing line back in the early days. Quite a few races were run on the track’s flat apron because the banking was rough and abrasive and quickly wore tires down to the cords.

Johnny Mantz had a very unusual strategy for the inaugural Southern 500. He used truck tires instead of car tires, as he realized that car tires wouldn't last the entire race. As a result he didn't have to change tires.

I heard a fact that someone realized that the banking was faster than the apron, and went with that for the entire race, don't know who it was, but given the previous fact it could be Johnny Mantz, but I don't know for sure.
I read something similar in a NASCAR chronicle book. I believe that it said that many drivers were too frightened by the sheer danger of the banking to try to race on it (whether they feared a high-speed crash, a catastrophic tire failure, or both, I can't quite remember).
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:09 pm

(I have no idea as to how I've never known of this track before. I understand that it exists for rFactor, which I have never played.)

Talladega Superspeedway is not the largest purpose-built oval racing circuit in the world, contrary to what I previously though. That distinction has been held by the Autódromo Ciudad de Rafaela in the Argentinian province of Santa Fe since it opened in 1954.

Originally paved with dirt and resurfaced with asphalt in 1966, it is a low-banked symmetrical oval of 2.873 miles (4.624 km) in length with 0.531-mile (0.854-km) turns, and straightaways that are nearly one full mile (0.918 miles and 1.477 km) in length. There are also multiple configurations of the circuit that can combine the oval with an infield section and/or any of the oval's three chicanes.

The most prominent series that currently race at the circuit include Argentinian national championships: Super TC 2000 and Turismo Carretera. The track hosted a double-header USAC Championship Car event named the Rafaela Indy 300 to open the 1971 season (each 53-lap race was won by Al Unser). I am unsure as to when the last time that TC 2000 or Turismo Carreteta used the strictly-oval layout, although according to this video, Super TC 2000 utilized it as recently as 2005. Super TC 2000 and Turismo Carretera currently use a layout that consists of the oval with some chicanes.

SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Tue May 05, 2015 6:24 am

The Linden Airport wasn't the only airport course that has the Cup series run on it.

The Kitsap County Airport held a Cup race in 1957. No photos exist, but it was a a ninth of a mile road course, and the race was won by Parnelli Jones.

http://racing-reference.info/race/1957-36/W

Only Cup race in Washington as of 2015.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 pm

- Pontiac officially withdrew from NASCAR following the 2003 season, ceasing to support any race teams. However, the final start in any of NASCAR's three national divisions for the brand was the 2005 Pepsi 300; the 6th race of the NASCAR Busch Series season that took place at the Nashville Superspeedway. Mike Harmon, in an unsponsored #54 2003 Grand Prix, qualified in 36th-place and finished in 43rd after experiencing a mechanical failure on lap 35.

- Islip Speedway (located on Long Island and closed in 1984) was the smallest track ever to host a NASCAR Grand National Series race at 0.2 miles in length. The track hosted its final NGNS event in 1971. The track is also considered by some to be the site of the first demolition derby (held in 1958).

- The 2003 GFS Marketplace 400 (held at the Michigan International Speedway in August) was the first NASCAR Winston Cup Series event in which automatic fuel cell fire extinguishers were utilized on all of the cars.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:45 pm

(Apologies for bumping this thread again.)

- Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway hosted its final NASCAR Winston Cup Series race as a half-mile oval in the spring of 1988. By the time the series returned that autumn, the track had been reconfigured to its present 3/4-mile D-oval configuration and renamed to "Richmond International Raceway". It would therefore be correct to say that RIR hosted two NASCAR races in 1988, and it would also be correct (in different aspects) to say that two different tracks in Richmond hosted one race each (similarly to Phoenix following its mid-2011 reconfiguration).

- The first NASCAR Winston Cup Series race to take place outside of North America was the 1988 Goodyear NASCAR 500k. Held at the Calder Park Thunderdome outside of Melbourne, Australia. The race featured drivers from the Winston West Series as well as seven Australians and one New Zealander. The event was won by pole-sitter and Winston Cup Series regular Neil Bonnett.

- Well-known by many here as a television pit reporter, Dr. Jerry Punch (who formerly worked as an emergency medicine physician) has, in separate incidents, been credited with helping to save the lives of racing drivers Rusty Wallace (at Bristol in 1988), Dan Marmor (at Atlanta in 1988), and Ernie Irvan (at Michigan in 1994) after each driver had suffered a severe crash. Punch also assisted in treating the gasman of Richard Petty's pit crew at Atlanta in 1989 after the gasman had been caught in a fuel fire. Said incident led to the subsequent practice of pit reporters wearing fire suits.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:16 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:(Apologies for bumping this thread again.)

- Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway hosted its final NASCAR Winston Cup Series race as a half-mile oval in the spring of 1988. By the time the series returned that autumn, the track had been reconfigured to its present 3/4-mile D-oval configuration and renamed to "Richmond International Raceway". It would therefore be correct to say that RIR hosted two NASCAR races in 1988, and it would also be correct (in different aspects) to say that two different tracks in Richmond hosted one race each (similarly to Phoenix following its mid-2011 reconfiguration).

- The first NASCAR Winston Cup Series race to take place outside of North America was the 1988 Goodyear NASCAR 500k. Held at the Calder Park Thunderdome outside of Melbourne, Australia. The race featured drivers from the Winston West Series as well as seven Australians and one New Zealander. The event was won by pole-sitter and Winston Cup Series regular Neil Bonnett.

- Well-known by many here as a television pit reporter, Dr. Jerry Punch (who formerly worked as an emergency medicine physician) has, in separate incidents, been credited with helping to save the lives of racing drivers Rusty Wallace (at Bristol in 1988), Dan Marmor (at Atlanta in 1988), and Ernie Irvan (at Michigan in 1994) after each driver had suffered a severe crash. Punch also assisted in treating the gasman of Richard Petty's pit crew at Atlanta in 1989 after the gasman had been caught in a fuel fire. Said incident led to the subsequent practice of pit reporters wearing fire suits.

And Atlanta in 1997
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:26 pm

During the 1952 Indianapolis 500, Troy Ruttman and Bill Vukovich had been the dominant cars throughout the race. Ruttman had a cockpit fire midway through the race on a pit stop, and lost ample time on pit road. Due to mechanical issues that plagued Vukovich throughout the race, which eventually culminated in a steering rod failure that ended his race nine laps shy of the finish, Ruttman was still able to snag the victory. To this day, Ruttman remains the youngest ever winner of the Indianapolis 500, aged 22 years and 80 days.

Formula One had sanctioned the Indianapolis 500 in a joint effort with the American Automobile Association from 1950 to 1960. This race marked the only instance when a Formula One regular competed in the Indy 500 under FIA sanctioning: Alberto Ascari. 40 laps in, Ascari spun out exiting pit road, effectively ending his race, ranking him 31st. Of all the World Championship races Ascari entered in the 1952 season, this race was the only one he did not win.

(OOC: This thread should be stickied, IMO.)
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:01 pm

PYLrulz wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:- Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway hosted its final NASCAR Winston Cup Series race as a half-mile oval in the spring of 1988. By the time the series returned that autumn, the track had been reconfigured to its present 3/4-mile D-oval configuration and renamed to "Richmond International Raceway". It would therefore be correct to say that RIR hosted two NASCAR races in 1988, and it would also be correct (in different aspects) to say that two different tracks in Richmond hosted one race each (similarly to Phoenix following its mid-2011 reconfiguration).

And Atlanta in 1997
Also true! I actually never knew that the overhaul to Atlanta was done mid-season.

kensethfan wrote:(OOC: This thread should be stickied, IMO.)
I would also agree with this idea.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:43 pm

kensethfan wrote:Formula One had sanctioned the Indianapolis 500 in a joint effort with the American Automobile Association from 1950 to 1960. This race marked the only instance when a Formula One regular competed in the Indy 500 under FIA sanctioning: Alberto Ascari. 40 laps in, Ascari spun out exiting pit road, effectively ending his race, ranking him 31st. Of all the World Championship races Ascari entered in the 1952 season, this race was the only one he did not win.

(OOC: This thread should be stickied, IMO.)

I think the reason why no F1 drivers took the bait is because the 500 had different rules than the FIA had.

The German national anthem has played on every podium since the 2014 Italian Grand Prix.

navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceej Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:51 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
kensethfan wrote:(OOC: This thread should be stickied, IMO.)
I would also agree with this idea.
So do I. Done.
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:11 am

A.J. Foyt had a specially-built March for his run in the Indy 500 in 1988, but nobody knew what modifications there were, since Foyt hadn't had factory support for some time.

Turns out the cockpit area was a little bit wider than usual, as Foyt had put on a fair bit of weight and couldn't comfortably get in a standard March.

Online Wins: 27
Last Win: ARSS @ Papyrus 2
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Catbag wrote:If there were no insanity, it would be necessary to invent it.

Anon wrote:Yeah, but what if Ann Coulter tried bath salts?

Cynon
Cynon
Admin

https://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:23 am

SpeedDemon37 wrote:- The first NASCAR Winston Cup Series race to take place outside of North America was the 1988 Goodyear NASCAR 500k. Held at the Calder Park Thunderdome outside of Melbourne, Australia. The race featured drivers from the Winston West Series as well as seven Australians and one New Zealander. The event was won by pole-sitter and Winston Cup Series regular Neil Bonnett.
- To go with this, the most recent NASCAR Winston Cup Series race outside of North America was the Coca-Cola 500 in 1998; a post-season exhibition at the Twin Ring Motegi in Japan (the NASCAR Winston West Series would visit the track in 1999).

- 1981 was the most recent year in which the Daytona 500 was not the season-opening race for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series; Riverside International Raceway hosted a mid-January race for the final time that year.

- Riverside was also the most recent racing venue to host more than two Cup Series races in the same season. In 1981, it hosted three races: the opener and the finale (500km, each), and also a 400km race in mid-June.

- Texas World Speedway was the last racetrack to host a NASCAR Winston Cup race before the "modern era", hosting the 1971 season finale (which was the 48th race of the year).

- Since the beginning of the "modern era" of NASCAR (1972), seven racetracks have hosted the Cup Series season finale:
--- Texas World Speedway (1972)
--- Rockingham Speedway (1973)
--- Ontario Motor Speedway (1974-1980)
--- Riverside International Raceway (1981-1986)
--- Atlanta Motor Speedway (1987-2000)
--- New Hampshire International Raceway (2001)
--- Homestead-Miami Speedway (2002-present)
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:20 am

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:- The first NASCAR Winston Cup Series race to take place outside of North America was the 1988 Goodyear NASCAR 500k. Held at the Calder Park Thunderdome outside of Melbourne, Australia. The race featured drivers from the Winston West Series as well as seven Australians and one New Zealander. The event was won by pole-sitter and Winston Cup Series regular Neil Bonnett.
- To go with this, the most recent NASCAR Winston Cup Series race outside of North America was the Coca-Cola 500 in 1998; a post-season exhibition at the Twin Ring Motegi in Japan (the NASCAR Winston West Series would visit the track in 1999).

- 1981 was the most recent year in which the Daytona 500 was not the season-opening race for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series; Riverside International Raceway hosted a mid-January race for the final time that year.

- Riverside was also the most recent racing venue to host more than two Cup Series races in the same season. In 1981, it hosted three races: the opener and the finale (500km, each), and also a 400km race in mid-June.

- Texas World Speedway was the last racetrack to host a NASCAR Winston Cup race before the "modern era", hosting the 1971 season finale (which was the 48th race of the year).

- Since the beginning of the "modern era" of NASCAR (1972), seven racetracks have hosted the Cup Series season finale:
--- Texas World Speedway (1972)
--- Rockingham Speedway (1973)
--- Ontario Motor Speedway (1974-1980)
--- Riverside International Raceway (1981-1986)
--- Atlanta Motor Speedway (1987-2000)
--- New Hampshire International Raceway (2001)
--- Homestead-Miami Speedway (2002-present)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Riverside is the only track to both open and close a season.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:40 pm

navycook75 wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:- 1981 was the most recent year in which the Daytona 500 was not the season-opening race for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series; Riverside International Raceway hosted a mid-January race for the final time that year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Riverside is the only track to both open and close a season.
As it turns out, there was in fact one other instance of this! Palm Beach Speedway (a half-mile dirt track that was paved in 1955 and demolished in 1984) hosted a race on each end of the calendar in 1952, according to what I found here: http://racing-reference.info/raceyear/1952/W. The track hosted the openers for the 1953 and 1954 seasons, as well.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:00 am

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:
SpeedDemon37 wrote:- 1981 was the most recent year in which the Daytona 500 was not the season-opening race for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series; Riverside International Raceway hosted a mid-January race for the final time that year.

As it turns out, there was in fact one other instance of this! Palm Beach Speedway (a half-mile dirt track that was paved in 1955 and demolished in 1984) hosted a race on each end of the calendar in 1952, according to what I found here: http://racing-reference.info/raceyear/1952/W. The track hosted the openers for the 1953 and 1954 seasons, as well.
Well I was wrong then lol

navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:04 am

In his long 23 year career, Jeff Gordon has picked up 93 career Sprint Cup wins, a number that puts him third all-time, but what about the drivers he beat? What about the drivers who couldn't quite get around the #24 car and finished second to him. Well, there were actually 31 different drivers who finished second place to Jeff Gordon in the Cup Series at least once.

Bobby Labonte and Rusty Wallace have the most runner-up finishes to Gordon, with each finishing second to him eight times.
Eleven drivers who qualified for this year's Chase finished second to Gordon at some point.
The list of 31 includes three sets of brothers and one father-son duo.
The 31 drivers who have finished second to Gordon have won a total of 25 Sprint Cup Championships.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RedViperGaming Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:05 am

flyingturns89 wrote:In his long 23 year career, Jeff Gordon has picked up 93 career Sprint Cup wins, a number that puts him third all-time, but what about the drivers he beat? What about the drivers who couldn't quite get around the #24 car and finished second to him. Well, there were actually 31 different drivers who finished second place to Jeff Gordon in the Cup Series at least once.

Bobby Labonte and Rusty Wallace have the most runner-up finishes to Gordon, with each finishing second to him eight times.
Eleven drivers who qualified for this year's Chase finished second to Gordon at some point.
The list of 31 includes three sets of brothers and one father-son duo.
The 31 drivers who have finished second to Gordon have won a total of 25 Sprint Cup Championships.

Wow.. Shocked
RedViperGaming
RedViperGaming
Development Driver
Development Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:10 am

With a bit of piecing together from a comment on RacingReference, apparently there was a 100 lap caution in the 1965 Volunteer 500 at Bristol because the fence got mowed down in a crash.

And you think the caution lengths today are stupid.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanrar Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:57 am

Tony Stewart is set to have his second worst finish in points in his entire cup career this year. Tony will more than likely finish 28th in driver's points, which is only trumped by a 29th place points finish in 2013, in which he broke his leg in a sprint car crash. And to add to that, three out of Tony Stewart's four points finishes outside of the Top 10 have been with the Gen 6. The only other time Tony has finished out of the Top 10 in points was before the COT, in 2006.

On the subject of finishing outside of the Top 10 in points: Two drivers who have the least finishes outside of the Top 10 in points in the cup series are Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon, with one and two, respectively. Johnson's only finish outside of the Top 10 in points was last year, However, his second will be official after next week's race. While Gordon's, on the other hand, came in 1993 and 2005, the latter of which coming in a season with four wins, one of them being his fourth Daytona 500 win.
Tanrar
Tanrar
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:09 pm

navycook75 wrote:With a bit of piecing together from a comment on RacingReference, apparently there was a 100 lap caution in the 1965 Volunteer 500 at Bristol because the fence got mowed down in a crash.

It turns out that that same race - won by Ned Jarrett - also became the 33rd consecutive race to be won by a Ford. Jarrett had begun the streak by winning the final race of the 1964 season (at the Jacksonville Speedway), and Ford's would win the first 32 races of 1965 in a row (excluding the Daytona 500 twin qualifiers, the first of which was won by a Mercury), as well. Richard Petty made his first start of the year in that same Bristol race, having boycotting the first 31 events after the Hemi 426 cu in engine was banned, and it was only the very next race (at Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville) when he won in a Plymouth and ended Ford's streak of victories.

To date, 33 remains the greatest number of races in NASCAR that any manufacturer has won consecutively.
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SpeedDemon37 Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Lucstar88 wrote:Ray Evernham tweeted this picture Racing "Did You Know" Thread - Page 5 B6syIirIQAAMAjr

Gordon was supposed to use the 46, and Gordon's stepdad was going to trademark the number, but realised that it was already trademarked by Paramount Pictures for the *Days of Thunder* movie. Hendrick was also ok with 46 before finding out, because Rick had the 46 in 89. And then used it again for the movie. So Bickford (Gordon's Stepdad) told Rick that they needed to change number. They decided on 24, because the 24 had never won a Cup race. Also the car was supposed to be black in the middle, not blue, from Sam Bass's creation.

And the rest is history! Heck we may never see the 24 again IF Hendrick never wants it back on track after Jeff's retirement. (Well people said that about the 3 Razz)
I realize that this post was made a long time ago, but I just discovered this post from racing-reference.info.

http://racing-reference.info/showblog?id=2272

- Even though Jeff Gordon could not run the number full-time as was originally planned, the #46 DuPont Chevrolet, shown in the above picture that Lucstar posted, actually did attempt a single NASCAR Winston Cup Series race. Hendrick Motorsports had gone to Buddy Baker when they needed someone to test cars and give driving advice to the then-rookie Gordon. Hendrick decided to repay Baker for his help by entering a car for him in the 1993 Diehard 500. His car was fast in practice, but NASCAR made his team make changes to the cowl that slowed the car dramatically. Several people (whose names he never revealed) had apparently complained about Baker being in a fast car, expressing concern that he would be a hazard after having received surgery for a brain aneurysm five years earlier. Baker ranked 45th in qualifying and missed the race (whereas his three teammates qualified in 5th, 8th, and 28th).
SpeedDemon37
SpeedDemon37
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:18 pm

SpeedDemon37 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:With a bit of piecing together from a comment on RacingReference, apparently there was a 100 lap caution in the 1965 Volunteer 500 at Bristol because the fence got mowed down in a crash.

It turns out that that same race - won by Ned Jarrett - also became the 33rd consecutive race to be won by a Ford. Jarrett had begun the streak by winning the final race of the 1964 season (at the Jacksonville Speedway), and Ford's would win the first 32 races of 1965 in a row (excluding the Daytona 500 twin qualifiers, the first of which was won by a Mercury), as well. Richard Petty made his first start of the year in that same Bristol race, having boycotting the first 31 events after the Hemi 426 cu in engine was banned, and it was only the very next race (at Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville) when he won in a Plymouth and ended Ford's streak of victories.

To date, 33 remains the greatest number of races in NASCAR that any manufacturer has won consecutively.
The reason why Richard Petty came back is pretty dark. He decided to go drag racing in 1965 after the boycott, and the reason (from Racing Reference) was because "he had no clue how to handle a drag car. He incorrectly shifted one race, and his car veered left and went over a banking toward a crowd of people. He ended up killing an eight-year old boy and a seven-year old girl died from injuries sustained. He also injured eight others who survived."
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:44 am

To celebrate the career of Jeff Gordon, I'll do some trivia.

The first points race he led in was his second ever race, the 1993 Daytona 500.

The 1997 Goody's Headache Powder 500 is the race where he led the most laps in his career, with 431.

Alternatively, the race where he led the fewest laps in his career is the 2007 UAW-Ford 500 at Talladega, with 1.

His biggest point margin is 364 points in 1998, while his shortest was 14 in 1997.

There is someone in the Gordon Family already in Nascar, his cousin, James Bickford runs in K&N West, and has two wins under his belt.

Despite his success in Nascar, he has only 1 IROC win, which came in Daytona in 1998.

He has never gone more than one season without a win.

In 797 starts, he was running at the finish in 698 of them, and 581 of them on the lead lap.

His winningest Crew Chief is Ray Evernham, with 47, and his least is Alan Gustafson with 11.

The last time somebody drove the 24 in Cup that wasn't Jeff was Butch Gilliland at Phoenix, one race before his debut. That car however was a Pontiac, which is also the last time it was something other than a Chevy.

2015 was his second lowest full time season in terms of laps led, the first was his rookie year in 1993. (265 and 230 respectively)

Feel free to add more if you want.

Last edited by navycook75 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got a stat wrong. oops)
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanrar Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:50 am

navycook75 wrote:To celebrate the career of Jeff Gordon, I'll do some trivia.

The first points race he led in was his second ever race, the 1993 Daytona 500.

The 1997 Goody's Headache Powder 500 is the race where he led the most laps in his career, with 431.

Alternatively, the race where he led the fewest laps in his career is the 2007 UAW-Ford 500 at Talladega, with 1.

His biggest point margin is 364 points in 1998, while his shortest was 14 in 1997.

There is someone in the Gordon Family already in Nascar, his cousin, James Bickford runs in K&N West, and has two wins under his belt.

Despite his success in Nascar, he has only 1 IROC win, which came in Daytona in 1998.

He has never gone more than one season without a win.

In 797 starts, he was running at the finish in 698 of them, and 581 of them on the lead lap.

His winningest Crew Chief is Ray Evernham, with 47, and his least is Steve LeTarte with 15.

The last time somebody drove the 24 in Cup that wasn't Jeff was Butch Gilliland at Phoenix, one race before his debut. That car however was a Pontiac, which is also the last time it was something other than a Chevy.

2015 was his second lowest full time season in terms of laps led, the first was his rookie year in 1993. (265 and 230 respectively)

Feel free to add more if you want.

Adding on to this:

Jeff Gordon is retiring with a perfect qualifying streak, having never DNQed in his 23 year career.

Gordon has a start in the Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2007, driving for the SunTrust Racing team, pairing up with Max Angelelli, Jan Magnussen and Wayne Taylor, the car came home on the podium in third.

This start for Gordon also signals the only time in history Jeff Gordon was technically beaten by Milka Duno, as the car she shared with Patrick Carpentier, Darren Manning and Ryan Dalziel came home second. Miracles can happen, folks!

He was also one of the last active drivers to be able to say that he ran both the Suzuka and Motegi exhibitions in 1996 and 1998, with the only other possible people in that category being Ron Hornaday and Michael Waltrip.
Tanrar
Tanrar
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by gone-sovereign Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:33 pm

If non-points paying races were included, Jeff Gordon would have 104 Sprint Cup wins. By comparison, Dale Earnhardt, Sr. would have 97. Richard Petty would have 202.

This is irrelevant to Jeff Gordon, but from 1990 to 1999, Dale Earnhardt, Sr. won every Daytona 500 qualifying race he was in.

Also irrelevant to Jeff Gordon: Ken Schrader is missing part of his thumb on his left hand. He severed it on the weekend of the 1995 Truck race at Evergreen, after having it caught between a belt and a pulley in the engine while it was still running. Schrader, never one to back down, still raced in the Cup series the following weekend at Charlotte, and led the most laps before his engine let go on him late in the race.
gone-sovereign
gone-sovereign
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:51 am

There were two other Exhibition races from Calder Park. One on December 18th, 1988, and another on December 2nd, 1990. Morgan Shepherd and Terry Labonte won receptively. The 1988 running was called the Christmas 500, and the 1990 running was the Christmas 400.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:40 am

Kyle Busch isn't the first driver to win a championship and breaking his legs in the same season. Craig Lowndes broke his leg at Calder Park in a massive roll-over, missed the Symmonns Plains round, and returned at the Winton round. Craig won the championship by 114 points over Russel Ingall.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

https://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykia Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:08 am

Joey Logano and Kevin Harvick both scored top tens in more races in Cup than Kyle Busch started this season. Brad Keselowski's top tens in Cup equaled Kyle Busch's starts.

Rykia
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next