Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS

+7
RACECAR
Joshua Michaels
TheRealNathNath
Cardinals5
conrail1990
Rykia
SnakePlissken
11 posters

Go down

Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS Empty Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS

Post by SnakePlissken Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 am

I'm considering trying to launch a new series that could be deemed as being somewhat "thinking outside the box." I'm not sure this thing will ever get off the ground because it will require massive amounts of support from everyone here at EFR and other places. While I think that I could eventually become moderately proficient in the art of making videos, I just don't have the time to devote to it at this point-- and me being a perfectionist doesn't help. Laughing
My job is a very difficult one with lots of overtime, plus family obligations and other assorted real world stuff places quite a bit of demand on my time. By that, I mean that I won't have the ability to run countless test sessions to see the results in the .ini file modifications on track physics and so forth. I'd have to rely on the community here for all of that plus the best track suggestions, points totals and other such details of that nature. That said, I'd still like to give this a whirl if you guys like the concept. I'll spell it out as best I can and this thing will either have life breathed into it or it will die a swift death. I view this as a community property league and it will become what you make of it.

The Snake Coils Auto Racing Series (SCARS) will be a series that will run 16 races, 4 on all track types. The schedule will be one of the following two models:

Schedule

Model A:

Short Track
Road Course
Speedway
Superspeedway
Short Track
Road Course
Speedway
Superspeedway
Superspeedway
Speedway
Road Course
Short Track
Superspeedway
Speedway
Road Course
Short Track

Model B:

Short Track
Short Track
Road Course
Road Course
Speedway
Speedway
Superspeedway
Superspeedway
Superspeedway
Superspeedway
Speedway
Speedway
Road Course
Road Course
Short Track
Short Track
The schedule is modeled on a "snake draft" -- hence the bottom half "mirrors" the top portion.

Ratings

As with other leagues, the ratings will be broken down into the usual four ratings categories:

CATEGORY 1: Driver Style

Aggression
Consistency
Finishing
Qualifying

CATEGORY 2: Driver Skills By Track Type

Road Course
Short Track
Speedway
Superspeedway

CATEGORY 3: Car (This will be determined by the team owner, and all team cars must have the same ratings)

Aerodynamics
Chassis
Engine
Reliability

CATEGORY 4: Pit Crew

Consistency
Speed
Strategy

The difference here is that I'm giving you total control as to how you want to design your driver/team. I have 2 trains of thought on how to accomplish this.

Thought Train 1

You will be give 100 points for each individual rating section within a given category for you to spread around.

Example:
Aggression: 100 points
Consistency: 100 points
Finishing: 100 points
Qualifying: 100 points

The ratings range from 0-100. You must rate each attribute so that it totals 100. For instance:

Aggression: minimum:0 maximum:100
Consistency: minimum: 40 maximum: 60
Finishing: minimum: 50 maximum: 50
Qualifying: minimum: 25 maximum: 75

Pretty simple right?

Thought Train 2

You will be given either a maximum number of points to spread out over each category in any way you see fit-- or given a maximum number of points to be spread out over all 4 of the categories. Yes! you will be able to rate your own pit crews! The pit crew points will be somewhat prorated since there are only 3 sections instead of 4.

For example, you are given 500 total points per category:

Road Course: 50-100 = 150
Short Track: 25-75 = 100
Speedway: 0-50 = 50
Superspeedway: 100-100 = 200

Or be given, say 1,500 points to use in all 4 categories. So longs as the totals equal out-- it's fair game.
Not too tough to figure out, right?

The engine ratings may or may not be locked for everyone depending on how many chassis options will be made available. I'll address that later.

Points System

The points system used in SCARS will be radically different than any league I've seen thus far. SCARS will use the scoring system of golf! That's right, the driver/team with the lowest points total will be the winners! For example if 42 teams are entered into a race, the winner will get 1 point because they finished first. 2nd place will receive 2 points. 3rd place will get, you guessed it!-- 3 points and so on down to 42nd place and a whopping 42 points! No bonuses for leading laps or any of that other sissy crap! Laughing With a name like "SCARS" you knew it had to be a tough league.
If the series takes off and we have more than 42 participants, then a (severe) points penalty will be issued for those drivers/teams failing to make it into the field. Maybe something like 50 (75 or even 100?) points! For now though, the field size will be limited to 42 cars-- or maybe 21 teams of 2 cars. Like I said, it depends on the number of entrants. If we only get 30 entrants, then the points will be adjusted accordingly.

Mod/Chassis/Engine/Sponsors/Canon

I'm thinking about resurrecting one of the circa 2010 COT mods.
Any thoughts as to which was the best COT mod/template combo?

I'd like to create a fictional car template-- possibly called the Plissken Snake for the series. SCARS may only run one chassis to begin with. I'll need some help creating a super cool looking template though.

Are there any other manufacturers interested in this series: Saar, Inglesby, Lycoia?!

The chassis selections will affect the engine for either an individual team or possibly the entire league. I'd like to keep the reptile theme if possible.

Also toying with the idea of making all the cars have Snake Coils as the only sponsor on it-- IROC style. If not, then all the sponsors must be completely fictional-- as in ARLA fictional! Maybe pop culture references will be allowed though.

Videos/Music/Misc.

As mentioned earlier, I'll need to outsource most of the components for the race vids and such. I'll make music selections from time to time and decide penalties and such, but it'll be a true community effort for this to fly.

Interested in earning your SCARS? Shane Falco once said, "Pain heals. Chicks dig SCARS. Glory... lasts forever."

Last edited by SnakePlissken on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 pm; edited 5 times in total

Snake Plissken: When I get back, I'm going to kill you.

"Your rules are really beginning to annoy me."

"I used to rescue presidents, then I took an arrow in the knee...and still rescued the president." -Snake Plissken

http://formularejects.com/tmpedia/Main_Page
SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS Empty Re: Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS

Post by Rykia Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 am

This sounds like a pretty cool idea, should definitely try it.

Rykia
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS Empty Re: Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS

Post by conrail1990 Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Sounds Interesting.
conrail1990
conrail1990
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardinals5 Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 pm

That looks crazy, in a good way of course Laughing
Cardinals5
Cardinals5
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealNathNath Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:46 pm

This sounds amazing. I am trying to put a Casari template on a CoT, I could post a render here when I finish. I like the first way to do the ratings. Also, I would like to see something like the PONY series, with 20 teams of 2 cars.
TheRealNathNath
TheRealNathNath
Development Series Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

hndrkguava24 wrote:This sounds amazing. I am trying to put a Casari template on a CoT, I could post a render here when I finish. I like the first way to do the ratings. Also, I would like to see something like the PONY series, with 20 teams of 2 cars.

I'm still trying to decide which COT version to go with. I'm hoping to use the one with the most bases, easiest templates to work with, best mod work and so forth.

"I used to rescue presidents, then I took an arrow in the knee...and still rescued the president." -Snake Plissken

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshua Michaels Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:27 am

If you want, you can use my music. I just released an album on MEGA.
Joshua Michaels
Joshua Michaels
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:14 am

I'd happily volunteer for doing the videos if need be.
RACECAR
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

https://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Post by JINXaPHRENIC Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 am

As time is a factor for you, I can run the races and then send the replays to somone to make the video. I can also keep track of the points as I do that for my XBOX League.
JINXaPHRENIC
JINXaPHRENIC

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks guys! I'm thinking the car template headlights should resemble something a bit like this:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2002cup/9viper-side.jpg
http://www.simracingdesign.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38174&d=1359863728

I'm going to try to modify the Snake Coils logo into a series logo.

EDIT: Here's the WIP:

https://efr1.forumotion.com/t2976-scars-logo-contig

Last edited by SnakePlissken on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am

The # of entrants will ultimately determine the series format.

That said, I'm thinking that Snake Coils will adorn all the cars for series-- at least initially. I think this will help with the series brand recognition. That can change later if this series takes off though.

If we go with the 2 car/21 team idea, then I will have a gold/purple tandem thing going-- all teams get one of each color. If the 2 car/21 team idea is not used, then the cars will be evenly split between the gold/purple schemes. Or maybe seven 2-car teams using gold/purple/white.

Gold: 1-14
Purple: 15-28
White: 29-42

The series will use a standard # font for all cars-- the same one in the Snake Coils logo-- maybe having the gold cars using odd numbers and the purple cars using even numbers. I'm working on the number set right now.

May limit the # selections to the minimal amount of 42 or the total series entry list (at least to start.) May possibly go with 1,2 and 3,4 as teammates and so forth. Or maybe an odd even thing such as 1,3 and 2,4 as teammates and so forth.

Or maybe 2 divisions of 21 cars each divided by color or odd/even numbers, or both! Just something to be different.

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykia Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:11 pm

I like the odd even thing. I think it would work well with say, all odd numbered cars having primary purple and all even numbered cars with primary yellow as you had said. (Whatever it is, I want a purple car Razz )

Rykia
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Here's a number set that I've been piddling with:

Snake Coils Auto Racing Series... or SCARS 4or44

I will make the layered PSD available should anyone want to use this number style but with easy color changes available.

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SpinDragun Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 am

I'd be up for it Twisted Evil

FINALLY have some free time now to mess with...anything...
SpinDragun
SpinDragun
Development Driver
Development Driver

http://spindragun.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 pm

I've decided to go with the ratings model in Thought Train 1.

SCARS will use the Superspeedway.net COT mod and the 2048 Chevy template in particular. I am working right now trying to make the "Plissken Cobra" chassis a reality!

Snake Coils will be the sponsor on all the cars for the inaugural season.

SCARS will use 21 tandem teams. The teams will each consist of one car of each color. The gold cars will be given odd numbers and the purple cars will be given the even numbers.

The cars will be numbered 1-42 for the inaugural season. Teams will be: 1,2; 3,4; 5,6 and so on.

Depending on the number of entrants and level of interest, one person may get 2 cars for a team or you may be matched up with a teammate.

More to come later!

Track suggestions?

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by kcobb9 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

I'd love to try and get this series going. Each team should have drivers assigned to it so you don't actually have a choice for the first season. Then after the first season (if it goes that far) you could use points to assign the next season's teams.
kcobb9
kcobb9
Shop Sweep
Shop Sweep

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakePlissken Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm

kcobb9 wrote:I'd love to try and get this series going. Each team should have drivers assigned to it so you don't actually have a choice for the first season. Then after the first season (if it goes that far) you could use points to assign the next season's teams.

Interesting concept! It really depends on the number of entrants/interest level though before I can get a sense of which way I'll lean. Right now, I'm focused on designing a kick-ass chassis for the series to use and coming up with a back story for it.

Today I was considering having the starting lineup for each race remain the same or be inverted for the following race or have the starting lineup follow the points standings after each race or the inversion of said points standings.

But that pretty much nullify the qualify category driver rating-- so I decided to table that idea for now.

If anyone has any ideas that they'd like to see implemented, feel free to chime in. It might not get used but it may lead to someone else coming up with a new twist on it or something radically different.

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddy24 Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 am

This series definitely sounds interesting. Cool
BigDaddy24
BigDaddy24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down