Anime/Manga Thread

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Alta wrote:8 episodes into Darker Than Black and i just can't bring myself to finish it. Any suggestions?


I haven't watched it yet so I can't really say. I've had a similar issue when watching the 1st Gig of GITS: SAC. I had a hard time following the heavy dialogue and the one-shot episodes but I thought it was worth watching the whole thing when I got to the end of the series. I'm in the middle of watching the 2nd Gig and I've really enjoyed it so far.


I've also watched the GITS movies and had a hard time following the plot as well. Though, some of the action scenes in the first movie were really awesome. As for the 2nd movie, I'm usually not a big fan of the excessive use of CGI animation but Production I.G. did a really good job using it and made it look good.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Well, I hope everyone has enjoyed their New Year's. I've decided to do a top list again like I used to monthly in the middle of last year.

Some of the EFR members aren't too familiar with anime/manga and wonder what's so great about it. This idea I had in mind was make a list of what would be the best anime series to watch for people new to anime. There are so many different genres of anime people can get into and can enjoy it just as much. Other anime watchers can come up with their own list too so newcomers can compare lists and get a good idea of which anime they can watch. With that said, here's my list:

Top 5 best anime to get into:

5) Summer Wars: If you're into the social networking and computer technology aspects, this anime is for you. This anime was made almost 5 years ago, so it's still somewhat new and has some incredible animation. What makes this anime stand out from the rest is that it's all about family and working together to bring down a hacker who hacked into the social network completely. The characters in this movie try to find their way in taking down this hacker and return everything to normal. This anime is easy to enjoy without having to worry about the typical stuff that goes on in most anime that airs in Japan.
 
4) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: If you're into crime scene investigation-type and futuristic shows, GITS: SAC fits in that category. You'll get backstory on a lot of the characters and enjoy the action scenes in this show. The show consists of 2 seasons, the first introducing the investigation team and giving backstory on some of the characters and hunt down this incredible hacker that everyone has trouble fighting. The 2nd season focuses more on the main plot and gives more backstory on the other characters in this show. A lot of dialogue is involved, but you will definitely find it worth watching a second time.

3) Cowboy Bebop: This anime wasn't too popular in Japan but was a huge hit in the western world. The reason being: this series was made for the western audience to enjoy. It has a bunch of one-off episodes that are entertaining as far as the characters and fight scenes, some good animation for its time, and is considered a classic to a lot of anime fans. This was also a ground breaking anime for having a very good English dub. Since it premiered in the U.S., Cowboy Bebop has set the standard for having one of the best English dubs in anime. A lot of the voice acting done in anime has improved greatly over the last several years since CB premiered. The music soundtrack, the setting for the storyline, as well as everything I've mentioned earlier is what made Cowboy Bebop a favorite to many.

2) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: This is where you would see most people put this show on the top of the list for people trying to get into anime. The plot is easy to follow, very well paced, great animation, and really enjoyable. It's considered to be one of the best anime shows as of today. Out of all of these anime series, I would recommend this show the most to anyone new to anime.

1) Akira: Some might disagree with my opinion on this, but I feel that this is the best spot to put this at. Then again, this was the 2 hour long movie that introduced everyone outside of Japan what anime was all about back in the late 80s and early 90s. Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it's meant for kids. It has some graphic violence and some beautiful animation that not even today's anime shows can even top. The huge influence of Akira made anime what it is today, especially in the western world. The Matrix Trilogy, more of the anime shows being aired years later in the U.S., such as Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and of course, any anime shows that air on Toonami every weekend on Adult Swim.


Last edited by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by day500champ1 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:27 am

RealRacer4 wrote:Well, I hope everyone has enjoyed their New Year's. I've decided to do a top list again like I used to monthly in the middle of last year.

Some of the EFR members aren't too familiar with anime/manga and wonder what's so great about it. This idea I had in mind was make a list of what would be the best anime series to watch for people new to anime. There are so many different genres of anime people can get into and can enjoy it just as much. Other anime watchers can come up with their own list too so newcomers can compare lists and get a good idea of which anime they can watch. With that said, here's my list:

Top 5 best anime to get into:

5) Summer Wars: If you're into the social networking and computer technology aspects, this anime is for you. This anime was made almost 5 years ago, so it's still somewhat new and has some incredible animation. What makes this anime stand out from the rest is that it's all about family and working together to bring down a hacker who hacked into the social network completely. The characters in this movie try to find their way in taking down this hacker and return everything to normal. This anime is easy to enjoy without having to worry about the typical stuff that goes on in most anime that airs in Japan.
 
4) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: If you're into crime scene investigation-type and futuristic shows, GITS: SAC fits in that category. You'll get backstory on a lot of the characters and enjoy the action scenes in this show. The show consists of 2 seasons, the first introducing the investigation team and giving backstory on some of the characters and hunt down this incredible hacker that everyone has trouble fighting. The 2nd season focuses more on the main plot and gives more backstory on the other characters in this show. A lot of dialogue is involved, but you will definitely find it worth watching a second time.

3) Cowboy Bebop: This anime wasn't too popular in Japan but was a huge hit in the western world. The reason being: this series was made for the western audience to enjoy. It has a bunch of one-off episodes that are entertaining as far as the characters and fight scenes, some good animation for its time, and is considered a classic to a lot of anime fans. This was also a ground breaking anime for having a very good English dub. Since it premiered in the U.S., Cowboy Bebop has set the standard for having one of the best English dubs in anime. A lot of the voice acting done in anime has improved greatly over the last several years since CB premiered. The music soundtrack, the setting for the storyline, as well as everything I've mentioned earlier is what made Cowboy Bebop a favorite to many.

2) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: This is where you would see most people put this show on the top of the list for people trying to get into anime. The plot is easy to follow, very well paced, great animation, and really enjoyable. It's considered to be one of the best anime shows as of today. Out of all of these anime series, I would recommend this show the most to anyone new to anime.

1) Akira: Some might disagree with my opinion on this, but I feel that this is the best spot to put this at. Then again, this was the 2 hour long movie that introduced everyone outside of Japan what anime was all about back in the late 80s and early 90s. Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it's meant for kids. It has some graphic violence and some beautiful animation that not even today's anime shows can even top. The huge influence of Akira made anime what it is today, especially in the western world. The Matrix Trilogy, more of the anime shows being aired years later, such as Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and of course, any anime shows that air on Toonami every weekend on Adult Swim.


I agree with #2 for sure. I'm still new at this and the first FMA was what I started with. But you've given me some others to check out. Been meaning to check out #3 but have not yet had the time.
avatar
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2311
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 26
Location : Warren, Michigan

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:45 am

Alright. I'll give this a shot

My Top 5 for the newbies to anime...Sort of....But not really in order (Up to interpretation in my opinion, and more of less the top ones are what came to mind first)

Da Top 5:


5. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Your probably going to want to start with something that's simple to follow yet has enough substance to entertain you. Gurren Lagann is all that and much more. It's fun in the aspect of ROBOTS! SCREAMING LOUDLY! YOUR LOGIC CAN GO TO HELL! AWESOME CHARACTERS! AND YOKO LOTS AND LOTS OF YOKO!, it's plot easy to follow, and it's off the walls batshit insane...When they say do the impossible...They mean it.

4. Soul Eater - If you like something ala One Piece, Bleach, Naruto yet don't have the patience for going through 300+ episodes...Then the 51 episode Soul Eater is for you. Entertaining characters, a nice storyline, and a bit of comedy thrown in to keep you entertained

3. Elfen Lied - Now i get what some people are thinking? Elfen Lied is a gorey, violent, over the top show that you would not want to recommend to someone who's trying to break into the genre, So why are you suggesting it?. I think if you were to show this to someone and they can make it through the series without saying "That's enough" they can get passed any of the wild and weird things that some anime have to offer. If they love
Horror stuff then it works absolutely fun

2. Code Geass/Death Note - If you're looking for psychological thrillers, These are the two shows that set the standard for it. Both series having amazing main characters, opponents that are on level with them in both crazy chess games (Quite literally in Geass) Death Note being more plot driven, while Geass being more character driven. Awesome soundtrack with both (Dat 2nd Death Note Opening....METAL AS FUCK)

1. Full Metal Alchemist/Ghost In The Shell/Cowboy Bebop/ - Reason i bunched these up altogether was they were shows that got me into the genre in the first place. (Back when i was heavy into Adult Swim, ) Full Metal Alchemist has a nice set of characters and interesting story no matter if you watch the original or the more manga followed Brotherhood remake. Ghost in The Shell has a great setting and it's a heavily plot driven show which is intriguing over all. (A great soundtrack as well...love both openings) Cowboy Bebop is what set anime in my opinion on the map in the US, Heavy
Western themes, a great setting and just a great watch in general (Hell i recognized the opening theme before i even found the show, it could be hearing it before i knew where it came from or it could show how big of a influence Bebop had over here)
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:56 am

Oh yes. About TTGL. It does have a lot of crazy stuff happening in the series that Alta mentions, but it doesn't really get that intense until around episode 7. The 1st few episodes start out slow, introducing the main characters. It does have some action, but it doesn't have too much of it. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I was expecting all sorts of crazy stuff happening when I was watching it myself, only to be disappointed due to people hyping the show up. Though, once you get to episode 7, you're going to be in for a hell of a ride.

As for the horror genre for anime like Elfen Lied, Hellsing Ultimate is another good one to watch, IMO. Long story short, it's about a badass vampire that's immortal and can very easily kick everyone's butt. There might not be any love story like with Twilight but still has a better storyline...much, much better.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 pm

Space Dandy premiered last night. T'was funny.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 am

That series started out beautifully. The detail in the animation was phenomenal, as well as the acting. I'm usually not a fan of fan service but knowing there was no way of avoiding it, I decided to say the hell with it and enjoy the show, and man, was it awesome.

I can understand why people were complaining that there's not much of a plot but I think it was really more of an introduction to the characters of the anime. They did mention briefly what goes on with capturing aliens for money but I'm just going to enjoy watching it in the mean time.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:15 am

RealRacer4 wrote:That series started out beautifully. The detail in the animation was phenomenal, as well as the acting. I'm usually not a fan of fan service but knowing there was no way of avoiding it, I decided to say the hell with it and enjoy the show, and man, was it awesome.

I can understand why people were complaining that there's not much of a plot but I think it was really more of an introduction to the characters of the anime. They did mention briefly what goes on with capturing aliens for money but I'm just going to enjoy watching it in the mean time.
I honestly went into it not taking it seriously and got some laughs out of it, Especially in the first 5-10 minutes
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by JMac525 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 am

I got some laughs from the Space Dandy premiere last Saturday as well. I'm not a huge fanservice fan either, but it didn't really bother me here. I think some people are being too critical already.
avatar
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 24
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 am

So as mentioned in a previous post. I went ahead and watched both Guilty Crown and Madoka Magica

Guilty Crown: Really fun series overall, Kind of got all over the place the near the end of it and the actual ending was kind of abrupt but a interesting story none the less. Also DAT SOUNDTRACK AND FIRST OPENING...Absolutely amazing, Knocked it out of the park on both. Animation is also pretty awesome.

Madoka Magica: "Don't judge a book by its cover" the anime. Holy hell was this dark a series but at the same time an absolute amazing one. The characters really made the show for me without a doubt, Just seeing them go through the trials and tribulations of their actions over the potential choice they had to make made it an enjoyable watch and had me hyped for the next episode (Despite marathoning it lol). The designs of certain characters just add to the "WTF" factor of it all.

Spoiler:
Kyubey is a fucking dick lol

Started The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as well....Kind of having trouble getting into it. Don't know if it's just being abnormally different than most other shows i watch or something but just not doing it for me yet. Only 3 episodes into it though.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:48 pm

So i got extremely bored late last night and made this.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/DaAltaMan/anime

Everything i've watched as far back as i can remember (Some of this is back when i would literally watch Adult Swim 24/7)
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Alta wrote:So i got extremely bored late last night and made this.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/DaAltaMan/anime

Everything i've watched as far back as i can remember (Some of this is back when i would literally watch Adult Swim 24/7)


JMac525 and I have MyAnimeList accounts and have our own lists too. I remember asking in this thread a while back if there's anyone else besides us 2 that have MAL accounts but I'm guessing we're the only ones that do. Razz

Anyway, here's my list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TW_Fan4

Out of all the anime you've watched I haven't got to watching yet, Blue Exorcist (which will be on Toonami soon), Future Diary and Guilty Crown are the ones I have near the top of things I plan on watching soon.

I've watched the first 5 episodes of Escaflowne so far. I honestly don't know why, but I just felt like watching it. The animation and soundtrack is great for its time. Though, the English dub...not so great. I'll probably switch over to subs when I have the time to watch it again.

Also, I'm currently reading the Akira manga. I've read the first 2 out of the 6 volumes so far. I wasn't expecting it to be completely different from what the movie was. I got up to what seems to be the highest point of the story, so I'm expecting things are about to get wild. Just like the movie, a LOT of detail goes into Akira as far as the drawing, and has a very well-written plot. As I've said before, once I have the time, I plan on continue reading the manga.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:41 pm

I think i tried MAL and just forgot to update it. This site i found through a facebook friend...and it seems a lot more simpler at least from what i've seen (I don't know might give MAL another try)

As you saw on the list, I'm giving Black Lagoon and Fate/Zero a shot probably tonight as i've heard good things on both.

>Watched all of Geass

I'm honestly stunned you still didn't like it, But in fairness people call it either awesome or a trainwreck one or the other.

I personally enjoyed both the story and the characters and the ending of the whole thing was the best i've seen. (Even with me accidentally spoiling myself) But as i said last time to each his own. Razz

Btw give Stein's Gate a go, It's a pretty fun watch.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:58 pm

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alts

Here it is...Hasn't been updated in a while, I do prefer AP by a little bit but i still might make use of MAL
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Alta wrote:I think i tried MAL and just forgot to update it. This site i found through a facebook friend...and it seems a lot more simpler at least from what i've seen (I don't know might give MAL another try)

As you saw on the list, I'm giving Black Lagoon and Fate/Zero a shot probably tonight as i've heard good things on both.

>Watched all of Geass

I'm honestly stunned you still didn't like it, But in fairness people call it either awesome or a trainwreck one or the other.

I personally enjoyed both the story and the characters and the ending of the whole thing was the best i've seen. (Even with me accidentally spoiling myself) But as i said last time to each his own. Razz

Btw give Stein's Gate a go, It's a pretty fun watch.


The reason I never dropped it was because I was personally hoping that the story-writing for CG would get better, but it just got worse and worse as the series went on. But yeah, I'm definitely one of those people that call it a trainwreck. Laughing

I've heard a lot of good things about S;G, but there's so much other anime I want to watch.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to point out about noticing that you finally got around to watching the entire series of E7.

Spoilers for those that haven't watched Eureka Seven yet:
Holland and Dewey Novak are such dicks, aren't they? Razz

All jokes aside, it's one of my favorite anime to watch, next to Deadman Wonderland, EVA, and GITS being my other favorites. Out of all of the anime I've watched, I think E7 has the best romance story, as well as their OST being my favorite. I know that there's other anime out there that might have better soundtracks than E7, but I think what makes E7's OST stand out is not only how awesome, unique, and diverse their music is, but how much relevance it has to the show. I never get tired listening to their songs.

Although Eureka Seven might have it's own issues with the pacing and plot, especially in the first half, I still love this show. The hand-drawn, to this day, is still phenomenal, and has some great, intense action when it gets going. I'm hoping to find other anime out there similar to E7 but haven't found any yet.

Also, I'd advise you not to watch E7:AO if you planned on doing so. The plot was so bad that the story kept changing so much to the point that there really wasn't a plot at all. Then there's the terrible ending, which is a whole another topic of its own. AO does have its own special moments, but that's only because they were mostly nostalgic.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Indeed lol

I found it pretty fun as well. Especially dat ending doe. The style is indeed definitely what makes it unique.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by GamerAzuzu on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 pm

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Haze_of_Heavens

Here's mine...sad thing is it STLL isn't up to date.
avatar
GamerAzuzu
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 619
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 24
Location : As a little demon serving the great Fallen Angel Yohane, I just derp around hoping I don't become a lolcow.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 pm

GamerAzuzu wrote:http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Haze_of_Heavens

Here's mine...sad thing is it STLL isn't up to date.

Just checked out some of the anime you've watched. Some of them looked interesting enough to consider adding it to my list of things I plan to watch, particularly Kara no Kyoukai, as well as Phantom. Those 2 have certainly left me intrigued.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:06 am

GamerAzuzu wrote:http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Haze_of_Heavens

Here's mine...sad thing is it STLL isn't up to date.
I just remembered Kekkashi was a thing.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by JMac525 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:10 am

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/JMac525

Here would be mine for the curious out there.

My recently finished shows:
Monster: Damn good. Not everyone would enjoy it because the pace can be slow, but I thought it was an excellent psychological anime with an great dub and cast of characters.

Madoka Magica: This one was really unique, which made it stand out to me. Some aspects were a little predictable, but other than that it was the ultimate don't judge a book by its cover anime.

Code:Breaker: I'm only eight episodes in thus far, but this show is really meh thus far. The main girl is really, really annoying. The villains are kinda generic too.

avatar
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 24
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by BBoy on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:25 am

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/BBoy

Some things:

1. I've done a terrible job at keeping track of what I've watched.
2. I can't rate anything worth a damn.
avatar
BBoy
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Posts : 938
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 20
Location : North Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm

BBoy wrote:http://myanimelist.net/animelist/BBoy

Some things:

1. I've done a terrible job at keeping track of what I've watched.
2. I can't rate anything worth a damn.


>School Days
>8/10

Then again, people would call me crazy for not liking Code Geass. Razz

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by bsoyuz on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:
>School Days
>8/10

Well, at least School Days is better than Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi. This series is resumed in only one thing:

THIS:
Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito! Himea! Taito!
avatar
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2527
Join date : 2013-11-29
Age : 18
Location : São Paulo, Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:
BBoy wrote:http://myanimelist.net/animelist/BBoy

Some things:

1. I've done a terrible job at keeping track of what I've watched.
2. I can't rate anything worth a damn.


>School Days
>8/10

To be fair the ending makes up for it. lol
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Toonami has picked up Black Lagoon.


http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-24/cartoon-network-toonami-block-to-air-black-lagoon-anime

I'd be really hyped about this had I NOT FINISHED THE SHOW LAST NIGHT, GOD DAMN IT TOONAMI STOP PICKING UP SHIT WHEN I JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT.

I recommend people check it out though.


Last edited by Alta on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 pm

I haven't watched any of Black Lagoon, but HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!! THAT IS AWESOME!!! From some of the pictures and what I've heard of Black Lagoon, I think it's a perfect fit for Toonami. I was wondering if they would air Attack on Titan as Soul Eater's replacement, but I'm definitely okay with this since I haven't seen it myself.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:15 pm

AOT hasn't been dubbed yet as far as i know.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by JMac525 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:12 pm

I love seeing Black Lagoon on Toonami! I've seen the series twice through since it's one of my top ten favorites, but I like that a lot of new people will get to see it as well now. However, they're going to have to censor a lot of f-bombs...

Attack on Titan hasn't been dubbed yet, but I have the feeling the dub is going to come out before most people think it will. For fun, here's my predicted cast for some of the dub's characters.

Eren - Josh Grelle
Armin - Maxey Whitehead
Mikasa - Alexis Tipton
Jean - Eric Vale
Reiner - Travis Willingham
Sasha - Monica Rial
Connie - Greg Ayres
Christa - Caitlin Glass
Annie - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Levi - Robert McCollum
Hange - Stephanie Young
Petra - Leah Clark
avatar
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 24
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 pm

JMac525 wrote:Attack on Titan hasn't been dubbed yet, but I have the feeling the dub is going to come out before most people think it will. For fun, here's my predicted cast for some of the dub's characters.

Eren - Josh Grelle
Armin - Maxey Whitehead
Mikasa - Alexis Tipton
Jean - Eric Vale
Reiner - Travis Willingham
Sasha - Monica Rial
Connie - Greg Ayres
Christa - Caitlin Glass
Annie - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Levi - Robert McCollum
Hange - Stephanie Young
Petra - Leah Clark

Ehh. I'll give this one a try.

Eren - Aaron Dismuke
Armin - Maxey Whitehead
Mikasa - Brina Palencia
Jean - J. Michael Tatum
Reiner - Travis Willingham
Sasha - Monica Rial
Connie - Sonny Strait
Christa - Caitlin Glass
Annie - Colleen Clickenbeard
Levi - Todd Haberkorn
Hange - Laura Bailey
Petra - Leah Clark

I agree with some of the voice actors voicing certain characters. I thought I'd switch some VA's around or decided to switch some out completely and add different ones in for the sake of satire. Razz

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by JMac525 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:56 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:
JMac525 wrote:Attack on Titan hasn't been dubbed yet, but I have the feeling the dub is going to come out before most people think it will. For fun, here's my predicted cast for some of the dub's characters.

Eren - Josh Grelle
Armin - Maxey Whitehead
Mikasa - Alexis Tipton
Jean - Eric Vale
Reiner - Travis Willingham
Sasha - Monica Rial
Connie - Greg Ayres
Christa - Caitlin Glass
Annie - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Levi - Robert McCollum
Hange - Stephanie Young
Petra - Leah Clark

Ehh. I'll give this one a try.

Eren - Aaron Dismuke
Armin - Maxey Whitehead
Mikasa - Brina Palencia
Jean - J. Michael Tatum
Reiner - Travis Willingham
Sasha - Monica Rial
Connie - Sonny Strait
Christa - Caitlin Glass
Annie - Colleen Clickenbeard
Levi - Todd Haberkorn
Hange - Laura Bailey
Petra - Leah Clark

I agree with some of the voice actors voicing certain characters. I thought I'd switch some VA's around or decided to switch some out completely and add different ones in for the sake of satire. Razz

That'd be awesome if Aaron Dismuke got to play Eren. He is really underused around Funimation.
avatar
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 24
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Black Lagoon Everyone.

Potential Spoilers.

avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:12 pm

It's a new month, which means we won't do a top 5 or 10 list, but a question you all can answer, which is: What got you into anime? Was it Akira, the movie that introduced the world to anime? Or was it Pokémon, one of the first anime to air on U.S. television and became a huge hit? Or maybe any show on Toonami, whether it was Dragon Ball Z or Gundam Wing? Or a friend of yours that recommended a random anime to watch that you happen to like and got into anime since then?

What got me into anime:

Technically, the first anime I watched was Pokémon. I wasn't into it as much as other people were but I still enjoyed watching it.


Then Yu-Gi-Oh! came around. I noticed other people were playing the card game and decided to get into it myself and was a huge fan of it for a while.


And of course, there was Toonami. I'm sure almost everyone here can attest that Toonami had a huge impact on their childhood. I never started watching the shows until around '02. DBZ was definitely a show that I loved watching, as well as Zoids, Transformers, and any other show on Toonami that I had time to watch. When Toonami moved to Saturday nights, it was difficult for me to keep up with the shows at the time and eventually fell out of the loop. It wasn't until a couple of years after that I found out about the Toonami program being cancelled, which made me upset although it wasn't all that surprising.


Then came on Memorial Day weekend, when Toonami was revived thanks to the overwhelming responses from the fans due to the April Fool's airing of the old Toonami shows. Like many others, I never cared about Bleach airing. But when Deadman Wonderland made its premiere, I was instantly hooked into the show. The sheer gore and violence blew me away, as the show took things to a whole new level. I saw the other anime series that were airing on the late night program and decided to watch those too. Before I knew it, I had become a huge fan of anime, as well as some of the manga that I've read over the last couple of years.


Last edited by RealRacer4 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Lucstar88 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh (Original, not that 5X crap), is pretty much the only anime series i watch as a kid, mostly the latter, Pokemon, i loved it for the games.... As a kid i hardly watched any cartoons, since we had Teletoon here in Canada, i was also more into watching sports, and news.  Razz 
avatar
Lucstar88
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2012-07-24
Age : 22
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLucstar88

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Saturday night sleepover at a friends house we were watching Adult Swim all night long They had Fooly Cooly, Ghost in The Shell, Inuyasha (sadly), and a couple other shows. Really liked GITS and Fooly Cooly so i watched from there on the next week and that's how it started.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by JMac525 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Well, I began like most people with Pokemon. However, I didn't understand what an anime was when I first started watching, so I don't count that as my beginning. My love for anime came into being at a sleepover at my cousin's house. My cousins were obsessed with Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, which I had never heard of before. After watching a few episodes I was obsessed. I then started watching Toonami at home where I saw Dragon Ball Z, which drew me in even more than Gundam Wing. Up to about 2007 I kept adding on anime I loved including Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, The Big O, and other Gundam shows. However, I was not a fan of the last few lineups and the new design of of T.O.M. and Toonami, so I gradually lost interest for about 5 years roughly.

I rarely ever watched Adult Swim, but I luckily did on April 1. Boy, was I overcome with nostalgia. I forgot how great the shows were. I couldn't wait for the revival, though I was not very familiar with any of the shows being put on the new lineup. Deadman Wonderland is the single factor I contribute to getting me back into anime. I didn't know anime could be so gritty and violent. I was hooked from the start. As the year went on I picked up more and more shows and enjoyed plenty of them. (absolutely hated some as well...) So, that's where I am now.
avatar
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 24
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by bsoyuz on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Well, I watched Fairy Tail entirely and now I'm reading the manga, recently the new studio for the anime released the character designs for the return in April:



I've personaly thought that now is way better than when A1 Studio made it.
avatar
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2527
Join date : 2013-11-29
Age : 18
Location : São Paulo, Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Kevin Seymour has passed away, For those are not aware of who he is, He oversaw the dubbing process (ADR director) for titles like Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Code Geass.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 am

Here's what i got done lately

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya: I about dropped this after episode 3 because i thought it was be one be just a boring high school life show, But after giving it another chance it was a fairly interesting show albeit being feeling some arcs should've not ran as long as they did...ENDLESS DAMN EIGHT

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzamiya: Straight plot in the movie and it shows, Awesome movie and a nice way to bring everything altogether. Love the character development with Kyon and Yuki (Adawrable)

Fate/Zero: The show's aesthetics are beautiful, Great animation and soundtrack to make the show look like this epic battle to be the king of kings. Story and characters...for me at least they were lacking in some departments and the ending left a lot to be desired. I will however check out the Fate/Stay Night remake

Highschool Of The Dead: For a series that relied on fanservice for the most part, it started out really fun and was everything you expected from a zombie show, but as they got towards the end it started to fall apart and the ending left me thinking..."Wait, what?"

Black Lagoon: A pretty awesome show with chicks and guns...What's not to love. (Although there's a few things i kind of nitpicked on)

There's an OVA out on the series which i think Toonami will hopefully show but if not check it out.

I've been following the happenings of Kill La Kill just to see what i should expect when watching it. This series looks arguably the successor to Gurren Lagann, but only time will tell.

For what I'm currently watching right:

Chaos;Head: I decided on watching all the Nitro Plus Sci-Adv adaptations as i loved Steins;Gate a lot, So far Chaos;Head has been a bit average out of the gate and i can really get attached to the characters...I hope it changes down the road

Spice And Wolf: Only 1 episode in on this, Looks promising.

Planning on Watching:

Baccano - Seems like a very fun series especially with that ole Gangster 1920 Chicago fun. With an English Dub that's critically acclaimed, this might be some fun.

Blood-C: I really liked Blood+ back when it aired so i wanted to give it's successor a shot. I heard it's gorey as all hell.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Triple postin'

But Attack on Titan dub has been announced.

FUNimation announced during their Industry Panel at Katsucon that the English Dub of Attack on Titan will premiere at Anime Boston. They also revealed the English Crew for the series, listed here below:

Attack on Titan Crew:

ADR Director – Mike McFarland
Head Writer – John Burgmeier
Script Writers – J. Michael Tatum
& Tyson Rinehart (episodes 3, 7, 10)
ADR Engineer – Kenneth Thompson



FUNimation plans to roll out the English Cast announcements in stages leading up to Anime Boston for the English Dub Premiere. Stay tuned for more information.



avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Alta wrote:Fate/Zero: The show's aesthetics are beautiful, Great animation and soundtrack to make the show look like this epic battle to be the king of kings. Story and characters...for me at least they were lacking in some departments and the ending left a lot to be desired. I will however check out the Fate/Stay Night remake

Highschool Of The Dead: For a series that relied on fanservice for the most part, it started out really fun and was everything you expected from a zombie show, but as they got towards the end it started to fall apart and the ending left me thinking..."Wait, what?"

Black Lagoon: A pretty awesome show with chicks and guns...What's not to love. (Although there's a few things i kind of nitpicked on)

There's an OVA out on the series which i think Toonami will hopefully show but if not check it out.
I've been meaning to watch Fate/Zero for quite a while now, but I have a feeling that it could air on Toonami sometime in the future.

I also planned on watching HOTD a while back but after hearing a few things about it, it would only be a good anime to watch if you plan on getting drunk with a couple of buddies. Razz

As someone who hasn't watched Black Lagoon yet, I hope Toonami will air the OVAs too.

Alta wrote:I've been following the happenings of Kill La Kill just to see what i should expect when watching it. This series looks arguably the successor to Gurren Lagann, but only time will tell.
I plan on watching this sometime next month. I've tried watching Attack on Titan weekly when it was airing in Japan at the time and it kind of ruined the enjoyment for me. With that said, I'm definitely looking forward to watching Kill la Kill.

Alta wrote:Planning on Watching:

Baccano - Seems like a very fun series especially with that ole Gangster 1920 Chicago fun. With an English Dub that's critically acclaimed, this might be some fun.

Blood-C: I really liked Blood+ back when it aired so i wanted to give it's successor a shot. I heard it's gorey as all hell.
Although the storyline is hard to follow since it has like 3 plots and moves very fast, it's still worth watching. Not to mention, I'd say that the English dub easy goes onto the top 3 best dubs, next to Death Note and Cowboy Bebop.

As for Blood-C, I have watched Blood+ myself and thought it was a good show, but wasn't interested enough in watching its successor.

Alta wrote: Attack on Titan dub has been announced.

FUNimation announced during their Industry Panel at Katsucon that the English Dub of Attack on Titan will premiere at Anime Boston. They also revealed the English Crew for the series, listed here below:

Attack on Titan Crew:

ADR Director – Mike McFarland
Head Writer – John Burgmeier
Script Writers – J. Michael Tatum
& Tyson Rinehart (episodes 3, 7, 10)
ADR Engineer – Kenneth Thompson

FUNimation plans to roll out the English Cast announcements in stages leading up to Anime Boston for the English Dub Premiere. Stay tuned for more information.
I'm really curious to see the cast and how good the dub will be. With this announcement and having heard that Adult Swim is expanding, I can see AoT premiering on Toonami within a couple of months or so.

As for what I've been reading/watching:

The Vision of Escaflowne: I've tried watching it but I just can't get into it, despite the animation and OST being good for its time, I just don't find the story to be that exciting and I find the characters to be very one-dimensional and sometimes annoying. I've also heard that the series got shortened so who knows if my opinion would be different had it not been shortened.

Akira (manga): I've just finished it and it is a damn good manga. With the minor plot issues aside, I really enjoyed reading the series and the details are incredible. It's definitely rare for a manga or an anime for that matter as far back in the '80s to have such a complex story line. What made it great was that the story would always progress while still showing a lot of action. I'd definitely recommend a lot of people to check this manga out.

As I've said earlier, I'm probably going to start watching anime that will most likely not end up airing on Toonami. There's so much I'd like to watch as usual, but I guess I'll watch whatever show it is depending on what mood I'm in.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Cracked on Kill La Kill and decided to watch it in subs. It's getting nuts towards the end and I'm really hyped to see how it ends. Fun show as well.


Last edited by Alta on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:06 am

So I just got done watching Blue Exorcist on Toonami. Although the dry humor was a turn-off, I can see myself enjoying the show. It has somewhat of a dark theme to it and the music is awesome. Not to mention, the animation looks pretty nice too.

I've really been enjoying the hell out of One Piece too. I could marathon it if I had the free time to do so. As for Space Dandy, I thought it was a bit of a disappointment compared to last week's episode. At this rate, it's looking like we're never going to get an explanation of what's going on in the series.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by JMac525 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:33 pm

So, I'm curious. Does anyone else here buy and collect anime? I generally buy everything I give an eight and above or find at a good deal to support the industry. Here's a badly lit shot my friend took of my collection last night.

avatar
JMac525
Champion
Champion

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 24
Location : Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm

JMac525 wrote:So, I'm curious. Does anyone else here buy and collect anime? I generally buy everything I give an eight and above or find at a good deal to support the industry. Here's a badly lit shot my friend took of my collection last night.


I've had some Pokémon movies when I was a kid, but that's about it. There were a couple of times where I was tempted to get a DVD of a series but I haven't had the money, or time for that matter, to get one, especially since I've been doing some job hunting recently.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 pm

I definitely want to support the industry however my financial situation does not allow me to do such things.
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:25 pm


RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:So this just happened...
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by bsoyuz on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:29 pm

RealRacer4 wrote:So this just happened...



If I'm right, this is an OVA of the original series, but NOOOOOOOO............... Suspect
avatar
bsoyuz
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2527
Join date : 2013-11-29
Age : 18
Location : São Paulo, Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by RealRacer4 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:26 pm

New month, new list. This time, it's time to show off your favorite AMVs.

I usually don't spend too much time watching AMVs but there is one every now and then that pops up and I end up liking it. When I recently ran into a series of AMV channels, I thought it would be appropriate to do a list for it.

3. Written in the Spirals:

I really did enjoy watching this series (despite having trouble getting into it at first), but never claimed to be as big of a fan for this series as other people do. Though, this AMV captures the show very well.

2. Quiet:
Neon Genesis Evangelion has been THE favorite anime for quite a while now, but this AMV only made me like the series even more. What also makes it cool was that the person who remixed the song is a member of Linkin Park. You can pretty much look at this as NGE in a nutshell.

1. This is Halloween:
There hasn't been an AMV that made as big of an impact as this one. It's hardly edited, it has all of the awesome scenes from Soul Eater, and most importantly, I found the AMV so awesome that it made me watched the series. It might've turned out not as scary and a little more humorous than what the AMV showed, but I still did end up liking it. With all of that said, it's definitely my favorite AMV.

As for what shows I've been watching (or just finished for that matter), I decided to take a dive into Serial Experiments Lain. The whole show...wwwaaaaaaaayyyy different from what I expected it to be and most certainly much different from any anime I'm used to watching. This show reached to the point of NGE levels of mindfudge. I had to stop watching it once every couple of episodes just to process everything that I could. Even after watching this show, I'm still confused over what happened.

Still, I really liked this anime and gave me a few things to think about. Despite the technology it had during its time in this series, as it aired back in 1998, it's still relevant to what goes on between the real world and the internet today. Just like with NGE, it'll probably be a while before I can give this some kind of score for this show.

RealRacer4
Legend
Legend

Posts : 2090
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Alta on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 pm

First portion of the dub cast for Attack on Titan has been announced.

Character – Actor

Keith – Patrick Seitz
Moses – Jeff Johnson
Erwin – J. Michael Tatum
Marco – Austin Tindle
Carla – Jessica Cavanagh
Grisha – Chris Hury
Hannes – David Wald
avatar
Alta
Legend
Legend

Posts : 3992
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum