CRL Hit the Nail on the Head.
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What will become of AJ Almendinger

Post by Cynon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 am

Yeah, like IndyCar will give AJ a chance after this.

Sure. Okay.

Online Wins: 22
Last Win: Short Oval Challenge @ Grand Detour
EFR's #1 A.J. Allmendinger fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 am

I'm posting a comment Cjs posted on the racing-reference board, as it sums up everything much better than I possibly could have.

"And as for the A.J. Allmendinger situation, I can say that it's not a big loss for Penske Racing. I said when Penske hired Allmendnger that it was a big mistake, and hardly anyone agreed with me. Now I never saw anything like this happening, but I thought then it was a big mistake to hire Allmendinger, simply because I never thought he was that good. I especially based my original opinion on that by last year, when he clearly regressed in the #43 car, while Marcos Ambrose made significant progress, outrunning Allmendinger a vast majority of the time. The only reason Allmendinger placed higher in the points last year was that he didn't encounter nearly as many problems as Ambrose suffered (and continues to suffer this year), but Ambrose outperformed him most of last year.

And remember Allmendinger's nightmarish 2007 rookie season, when his team (Red Bull Racing) had Mike Skinner run a few races, and then released him after 2008? Perhaps they knew before anyone else did that he wasn't that good. He goes to Richard Petty's team and gets a DWI prior to the 2010 season, so there's a history of him putting things in him that don't belong in there, especially when you're driving.

And also, has everyone forgotten him getting in Petty's face after the Firecracker 400 at Daytona a year or two ago? Nobody, but nobody does that. That tells me that he also has a problem with a lack of respect for even the icons of the sport. That single incident is what I think led to his departure from Petty. Nobody in the history of the sport demands and deserves more respect than Richard Petty, and for a guy that never finished better than third in any race to get in his face the way he did that night showed to me a complete lack of respect, not just for his employer, but for those that laid the groundwork for the sport.

And that lack of respect reared it's ugly head again with this drug situation, as he basically showed no respect for a man who demamds and deserves respect as much as Petty, and that's Roger Penske. For him to effectively spit on both Richard Petty and Roger Penske, it shows what a low class person he really is, as far as the sport's concerned. So as far as Allmendinger goes, I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish, because these incidents show a complete lack of respect on his part."
Spen
Development Driver
Development Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:09 am

Cynon wrote:Yeah, like IndyCar will give AJ a chance after this.

Sure. Okay.

John Paul, Jr. ended up in prison in the late '80s for being involved in a drug trafficking ring with his dad, came back, and won an IRL race at Texas in '98. It might be more unlikely these days, given everything that's happened to Mayfield, but it's not totally impossible.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antknee on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am

pennst24 wrote:
I wouldn't be totally surprised if AJ went back to open wheel, but I don't see Roger Penske keeping someone in an organization who failed two drug tests. Now Briscoe could still be let go, but that's totally unrelated to AJ Allmendinger failing drug tests.

Actually it was one drug test that was split into two samples.

He was positive for a "stimulant" which could be one of any number of things, including something as simple as an energy drink or an over-the-counter suppliment from GNC. I think in the end, and once he completes NASCAR's mandatory rehab, he will still get a decent ride. It's not like he a crack-head or anything. Hell, even Mayfield would've been given another chance had he went to rehab instead of fighting NASCAR.

I've never viewed him as a huge talent but he'll do ok.
antknee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 am

antknee wrote:
pennst24 wrote:
I wouldn't be totally surprised if AJ went back to open wheel, but I don't see Roger Penske keeping someone in an organization who failed two drug tests. Now Briscoe could still be let go, but that's totally unrelated to AJ Allmendinger failing drug tests.

He was positive for a "stimulant" which could be one of any number of things, including something as simple as an energy drink or an over-the-counter suppliment from GNC. I think in the end, and once he completes NASCAR's mandatory rehab, he will still get a decent ride. It's not like he a crack-head or anything. Hell, even Mayfield would've been given another chance had he went to rehab instead of fighting NASCAR.

I read somewhere that A.J was Pitching some sort of new Energy Shot starting this year, wonder if he drank to much of it.
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:59 am

crl wrote:

Sure. Okay.

John Paul, Jr. ended up in prison in the late '80s for being involved in a drug trafficking ring with his dad, came back, and won an IRL race at Texas in '98. It might be more unlikely these days, given everything that's happened to Mayfield, but it's not totally impossible.

Wasn't Willy T. Ribbs in a similar situation, where he had some legal troubles and fled to open wheels, or was it the other way around?
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crl on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 am

flyingturns89 wrote:
crl wrote:

Sure. Okay.

Wasn't Willy T. Ribbs in a similar situation, where he had some legal troubles and fled to open wheels, or was it the other way around?

Yep. Humpy Wheeler personally got Ribbs a ride for the '78 World 600, only for Ribbs to get arrested for driving the wrong way down a one-way street, and evade police. Earnhardt got his ride.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
crl
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:11 am

flyingturns89 wrote:
crl wrote:

Sure. Okay.

Willy T. had Bill Cosby backing him. That as a big sponsor bill and with Willy T.'s talent and very respectable Trans-Am background... it was worth it.

Both men ran in a time when sponsors didn't control every last action a driver had. Kevin Grubb came back, but he had the oh-so-(not)competitive Mac Hill Motorsports as his only avenue.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 am

Cynon wrote:
flyingturns89 wrote:
crl wrote:

Sure. Okay.

Willy T. had Bill Cosby backing him. That as a big sponsor bill and with Willy T.'s talent and very respectable Trans-Am background... it was worth it.

Both men ran in a time when sponsors didn't control every last action a driver had. Kevin Grubb came back, but he had the oh-so-(not)competitive Mac Hill Motorsports as his only avenue.

Didn't Kurt Busch do something vaguely similar to what Willy T Ribbs did at the end of 2005? Willy T. Ribbs also didn't last long in NASCAR because he was vocal about some of the hostility to him because of his race. That made NASCAR look bad and Ribbs was blamed. He was a great driver in trans am and I became a fan of him when he came back at Baltimore for Indy Lights.
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

View user profile http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother of Invention on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:13 pm

No Mention of Gary Balough? Guy Spent 4-5 years in Jail, for Drug Trafficking, and spent 10ish years out of NASCAR cause of it. Shame too, cause he could have been a decent driver.
Mother of Invention
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:Didn't Kurt Busch do something vaguely similar to what Willy T Ribbs did at the end of 2005? Willy T. Ribbs also didn't last long in NASCAR because he was vocal about some of the hostility to him because of his race. That made NASCAR look bad and Ribbs was blamed. He was a great driver in trans am and I became a fan of him when he came back at Baltimore for Indy Lights.

Kurt Busch was kicked out of his car by Roush because he made the sponsors look bad.

Cynon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Mother of Invention wrote:
antknee wrote:
pennst24 wrote:

I read somewhere that A.J was Pitching some sort of new Energy Shot starting this year, wonder if he drank to much of it.

I've got an update on this. Earlier this season, AJ signed a deal with a new drink called Fuel In A Bottle Power Shots. Their drink line consists of an energy shot and a protein shot. They do have a list of ingredients on their website, however I do not know if this is a complete. Here's what they do have on their site though.

Niacin
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Taurine
Caffeine
Sucralose
L-phenylalanine (an amino acid found in proteins)

I'm not a doctor, so I don't if any of these ingredients could have had something to do with the positive, or if maybe another ingredient that is not included on this list caused it.
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:19 pm

flyingturns89 wrote:
Mother of Invention wrote:
antknee wrote:
pennst24 wrote:

I've got an update on this. Earlier this season, AJ signed a deal with a new drink called Fuel In A Bottle Power Shots. Their drink line consists of an energy shot and a protein shot. They do have a list of ingredients on their website, however I do not know if this is a complete. Here's what they do have on their site though.

Niacin
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Taurine
Caffeine
Sucralose
L-phenylalanine (an amino acid found in proteins)

I'm not a doctor, so I don't if any of these ingredients could have had something to do with the positive, or if maybe another ingredient that is not included on this list caused it.
I don't think the B-Vitamins would have anything to do with it. Caffeine is a stimulant but I highly doubt NASCAR is going to test a driver for caffeine. Taurine is found in the intestines and it wouldn't cause a false positive. Sucralose (had to look this up) is just an artificial sweetener like aspartame, and the amino acid is I believe synthesized as the body breaks down aspartame, so that's not going to produce a false positive either. Unless NASCAR checks for ultra-high caffeine levels, I doubt any of these would produce a false positive.

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Spen wrote:And remember Allmendinger's nightmarish 2007 rookie season, when his team (Red Bull Racing) had Mike Skinner run a few races, and then released him after 2008? Perhaps they knew before anyone else did that he wasn't that good. He goes to Richard Petty's team and gets a DWI prior to the 2010 season, so there's a history of him putting things in him that don't belong in there, especially when you're driving.

I'd throw that out because, like Scott Speed, he was thrown into the Cup Series FAR too soon, and that hurt his development.
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Amphetamines caused Allmendinger's positive test: Suspended Sprint Cup driver AJ Allmendinger tested positive for amphetamines, his business manager confirmed Wednesday. Tara Ragan, the vice president of Walldinger Racing Inc., said Allmendinger was told when initially suspended by NASCAR on July 7 that amphetamines were found in his drug testing sample taken a week earlier. She said the term was so broad that she opted to refer to it as a stimulant. Brand names of medications that contain or metabolize into amphetamines include Adderall, Dexedrine, Dextrostat, Desoxyn, Didrex, ProCentra and Vyvanse. Amphetamines also are used recreationally as a performance enhancer, often referred to on the street as "speed." When overused, they can be psychologically and physically addictive. "With amphetamines, there are a whole slew of things it can be," Ragan told ESPN.com. "When we say we don't know what it is, what we were trying to ascertain is what is it in that grouping? In our head, we don't know. In fact, when the (medical review officer) first called and said he tested positive for amphetamines, the first thing we said was, 'What does that mean?'" Ragan said the hope is Dr. David Black, who runs Aegis Sciences Corporation in Nashville, Tenn., which tested Allmendinger's "A" and "B" urine samples, will help clarify that Thursday when Allmendinger talks to him to be assigned a health care facility for assessment. Meanwhile, Ragan said there are plans to have Allmendinger tested again by an independent laboratory to see whether amphetamines still show up in his system. "We weren't being evasive," Ragan said. "In my head, no, we didn't know what the drug was. Amphetamines was too general for us when trying to figure out what it is."(more at ESPN.com)(7-25-2012)
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:09 pm

His business manager has already confirmed that it is not methamphetamines though. Test results ruled out anything illegal, including methamphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, or Ecstasy.
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by day500champ1 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Thats interesting. Within 3 years, two different drivers test positive for the same substance. Mayfield and AJ.
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Post by antknee on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 pm

day500champ1 wrote:Thats interesting. Within 3 years, two different drivers test positive for the same substance. Mayfield and AJ.

no, methamphetamines are different than amphetamines...although it still metabolizes in the body as amphetamine. amphetimines can come from many sources, including ADHD medication.
antknee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:52 am

At this point, if I was a NASCAR driver, I would go off the Olympic drug testing sheets, that way, I know what I can watch out for and know what not to take. If you still get busted, then NASCAR has screwed up on something.
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spannerhead29 (Nelson) on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:54 am

Hmm, just found out Elliott Sadler owns a convinence store that sells Shell Gasoline, makes me think he could be in the #22 car next year.
Spannerhead29 (Nelson)
Legend
Legend

View user profile http://facebook.com/pages/Spannerhead-Racing/194183156902

Back to top Go down

Post by RACECAR on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:57 am

I completely disagree with basically all but 1 of the choices. Bayne? Guy barely has a ride in Nationwide at all so I'm pretty sure thats not happening. Mcmurray? Given how he basically has done nothing special this year and hasn't put on a performance worth noticing, not even close to be considered. Its pretty much the world's worst kept secret that Kenseth is headed for JGR so thats automatically not happening. As far as "Someone else goes", in all honesty who else? Ryan still doesn't have anything secure for next year but I somehow doubt he's going back to Penske. And then well, who even is a capable free agent for the car? I would pretty much rule out Hornish Jr for the 22. He's spent the last three years out of a cup car and has proven several times in his few starts that unlike what we saw in 2007 and 2008, he actually can bring the car back in one piece. It would just be a matter of now getting him as competitive as he currently is in the Nationwide car.

Unrelated, but that would then potentially open up seats in both the penske cars. Why only have one over the other when Kligerman and Blaney can occupy both seats? Oh and switch the sponsors on the cars just for the old skool fans to go nuts Very Happy
RACECAR
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top