Do lap-down cars owe more respect to leaders?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do lap-down cars owe more respect to leaders?

Post by BWard on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm

A quote from NASCAR.com:

"The past couple weeks, he focus in the closing laps of the Cup Series races has shifted to those a lap or more down playing a role in the finish of the race. At Martinsville, it was David Reutimann not pulling off the track with mechanical issues; at Texas it was Ryan Newman, a lap down, racing leader Jimmie Johnson hard with 30 to go, costing Johnson the victory.

The word "respect" is thrown about almost every race weekend and the question is, is respect a problem? Do those a lap-down owe more to those who are on the lead lap?
BWard
Legend
Legend

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: Do lap-down cars owe more respect to leaders?

Post by PackerMan71 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Answer: Late in the race, yes. If it's the last 25-30 laps or so and you're a lap down, GET THE F**K OUT OF THE WAY. Don't affect the outcome of a race.

This is a MASSIVE pet peeve of mine.

EJ Viso in the IndyCar race yesterday was another prime example of this. He was all over the place and basically getting in Power's way. For God's sake, if you're a lap down late in the race, get out of the way.
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by day500champ1 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Answer: While I do think there should be a bit of respect given to the leader when a car is 2 or more laps down, I don't think a car at the end of the lead lap or one-lap down is required to lay over for the leaders.

The leader obviously has a fast car to get into that position. So, he should be able to work his or her way around the slower cars without any issue. Especially when sometimes you have lap cars battling for position.

I think it also depends on the track too. If the leaders catch a lap car at say Texas or Michigan, I don't think they should have to lay over. The leader should be able to work around them. But on a track like Martinsville or the Long Beach circuit for the Indycar race, I think they should lay over.

I think what I'm trying to say here is it should be common sense on the part of the lapped car when to race the leader and when to let him go.
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm

It varies

If you are a lap down (or two if there are few, if any one lap down cars) race em hard! If the caution comes out, you're back in it for a decent finish. I will never complain about that.

Otherwise, stay out of the way
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 pm

PackerMan71 wrote:Answer: Late in the race, yes. If it's the last 25-30 laps or so and you're a lap down, GET THE F**K OUT OF THE WAY. Don't affect the outcome of a race.

This is a MASSIVE pet peeve of mine.

EJ Viso in the IndyCar race yesterday was another prime example of this. He was all over the place and basically getting in Power's way. For God's sake, if you're a lap down late in the race, get out of the way.

I believe Viso was fighting to stay on the lead lap though. I think it's okay if you're fighting to stay on the lead lap, unless you are clearly slower than the leaders, which, in that case, get out of the way.
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antknee on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 pm

they're a lap down for a reason...
antknee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cynon on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Cars are entitled to fight to stay on the lead lap. After all, if they do fight that hard and get a yellow, then all of a sudden they're back in the race.

If they're a lap down and in a battle for position with another car a lap down, you can't really expect them to get out of the way.

The same applies if they're a lap down but faster than lead lap cars. Don't bother racing them, just let them go unless letting them go means you could lose another position to someone you're actually racing for position with.

Otherwise, lappers need to get out of the way pronto.

The Formula 5 rule on lappers is that if a lapped car doesn't get out of your way after two or three corners, you are allowed to punt them out of the way. Applies to road courses only since we don't run yellows. Very Happy

Online Wins: 21
Last Win: Short Oval Challenge @ Vancouver
EFR's #1 A.J. Allmendinger fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan
Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

Cynon
Admin

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystrsyko on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I've always had the opinion that slower cars should not feel obligated to move out of the way of the leaders. It's called a "race" for a reason, and if the leaders are faster than you, it's their job to prove it. The leaders should have to earn their right to lead, not be handed it.

However, I feel slower cars should not make any attempts to block pass attempts from the leaders. They aren't fighting with the leaders for position, so there is no reason to force them to stay behind you. If they try to make a pass, let them try to pass. Notice I said "try". If they can't pass you on their own, there is no reason to pull over and let them by.

Also, whatever a driver chooses to do, they should at least be consistent about it. If you pull over to let the leader by, do the same for second, and third, etc. If you fight hard to stay ahead of the leader, fight second place just as hard.
Mystrsyko
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I've always thought that lapped cars should have a chance to fight for their lap. You can't expect them to just give up once the leader passes them; they're still in the race, and they still have as many rights as anyone else on the track.

If they're slower than the leaders, I'd say give them room, but as long as you're not holding them up to a great extent, I see no problem in fighting for your spot. Like many others have said, if you get your lap back and you catch a yellow, you're back in that thing, therefor, it's a legitimate battle.
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bartman97 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Should depends on their pace and if their on the pace with the leaders they should be fine with them, if they are 2-3 laps down they should show respect to the leaders and move over for them.

bartman97
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top