Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced.

+11
Blake Camphausen
PKligBKFan
Alpineopossum
Spen
PYLrulz
Sparkz47
f1fan12
Alta
AntmanB
pepsibottle1
flyingturns89
15 posters

Go down

NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced. Empty NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced.

Post by flyingturns89 Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:08 pm

So the new Hall Of Fame nominees will be announced on NASCAR Race Hub on Wednesday. As far as I know, they will consist of the 20 nominees that were on the list before that didn't get in plus five new ones.

Here's the list of 20 that didn't in. (Yeah, I know it's copied from Jayski, but I'm just too to care.)

* Buck Baker,first driver to win consecutive NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series championships (1956-57)
* Red Byron, first NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion, in 1949
* Richard Childress, 11-time car owner champion in NASCAR’s three national series
* Jerry Cook, six-time NASCAR Modified champion
* H. Clay Earles, founder of Martinsville Speedway
* Tim Flock, two-time NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion
* Rick Hendrick, 13-time car owner champion in NASCAR’s three national series
* Jack Ingram, two-time NASCAR Busch (now Nationwide) Series champion
* Bobby Isaac, 1970 NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion
* Fred Lorenzen, 26 wins and winner of the Daytona 500 and World 600
* Cotton Owens, driver-owner, won 1966 owner championship with David Pearson
* Raymond Parks, NASCAR’s first champion car owner
* Benny Parsons, 1973 NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion
* Les Richter, former NASCAR executive; former president of Riverside International Raceway
* Fireball Roberts, won 33 NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series races, including the 1962 Daytona 500
* T. Wayne Robertson, helped raise NASCAR popularity as R.J. Reynolds Senior VP
* Herb Thomas, first two-time NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion, 1951, ’53
* Curtis Turner, early personality, called the “Babe Ruth of stock car racing”
* Joe Weatherly, two-time NASCAR premier (now Sprint Cup) series champion
* Leonard Wood, part-owner and former crew chief for Wood Brothers, revolutionized pit stops

Any predictions on who's joining them. I'm thinking this for the next five.

Alan Kulwicki
Bill Rexford
Wendell Scott
Kirk Shelmerdine
Humpy Wheeler
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced. Empty Re: NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced.

Post by pepsibottle1 Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I second Alan Kulwicki (hope so), but also think that maybe Harry Hyde will have a chance as well
pepsibottle1
pepsibottle1
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced. Empty Re: NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced.

Post by AntmanB Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 pm

um, Jack Roush?
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Alta Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

AntmanB wrote:um, Jack Roush?
Flys planes.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:20 pm

has won 2 championships and a ton of races as owner. developed the roof flaps.
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 am

Humpy Wheeler?... Dear Lord.
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:13 am

I'm honestly shocked some of these people didn't get in the first time, mainly Fireball Roberts, Rick Hendrick, Red Byron, Tim Flock, and Richard Childress
Sparkz47
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by PYLrulz Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:45 am

My votes...
Fireball Roberts
Leonard Wood
Curtis Turner
Benny Parsons
Buck Baker
PYLrulz
PYLrulz
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Spen Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Fred Lorenzen is probably a shoe-in, since they'll want to honor him while he can still understand that he's in.

Herb Thomas has to get in eventually. It'll either be him or Flock. Baker will have to wait a few more years. T.Wayne Robertson will probably get in this year. Cotton Owens might get in: he's 88, so they probably won't have too many more chances to get him in. I'm not sure who the fifth name will be. Maybe Jack Ingram?

As for the new additions to the list, I'd expect Rusty Wallace to make the ballot this year, given that he's the only retired driver with over 50 wins that isn't already in. Rex White could be added this year, too. Kirk Shelmerdine will likely be nominated. Perhaps Ricky Rudd could be a nominee? For the fifth choice, probably Humpy Wheeler.

Kulwicki will probably not get a nomination for at least six more years. Heck, I expect Davey will get in before Alan. Rexford will be wating a *long* time for consideration. Scott's iffy. Speaking personally, I wouldn't nominate him at all, as his stats don't really warrant it (one win in 495 starts? If that's good enough, then Brett Bodine should get in too.). But the incidental fact of his being black will probably get him in at some point. Not right now, though. Don't want to risk ticking off the Tea Party NASCAR fans.
Spen
Spen
Development Driver
Development Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:44 am

f1fan12 wrote:Humpy Wheeler?... Dear Lord.

I put Humpy on the nominee list because of all he's done for the sport. He was president of CMS for like 20-30 years, was a huge race promoter, got the track a sponsor, and built a lighting system making Charlotte one of the first tracks to host night races.

As for my inductee picks, I'll wait for the official announcement of who's on the ballot on Wednesday.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:57 am

Alta wrote:
AntmanB wrote:um, Jack Roush?
Flys planes.
Uh Mr. Roush...maybe it's time to try helicopters or blimps...just not planes.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PKligBKFan Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 am

flyingturns89 wrote:

I put Humpy on the nominee list because of all he's done for the sport. He was president of CMS for like 20-30 years, was a huge race promoter, got the track a sponsor, and built a lighting system making Charlotte one of the first tracks to host night races.

As for my inductee picks, I'll wait for the official announcement of who's on the ballot on Wednesday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Humpy Wheeler help Dale Earnhardt get his start in NASCAR?
PKligBKFan
PKligBKFan
Champion
Champion

http://twitter.com/#!/ParkerKligfan29

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Camphausen Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am

PKligBKFan wrote:
flyingturns89 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Humpy Wheeler help Dale Earnhardt get his start in NASCAR?
I believe you are actually correct.
Blake Camphausen
Blake Camphausen
First-Time Winner
First-Time Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

The new nominees are...

Ray Fox - Former NASCAR Car Owner - Fox owned the #3 before Richard Childress did. As an owner he scored 14 wins, and gained a fan in Childress, so much so that he told NASCAR that if Fox ever left and the #3 was available that he wanted it.

Anne B. France - Race Promoter - France, wife of NASCAR founder Bill France, helped her husband found NASCAR and promote it's races.

Ralph Seagraves - Sponsor - Seagraves worked for the RJ Reynolds Company and was in charge of finding new ways to get advertising for their cigarette brands. Seagraves met with Junior Johnson about sponsoring him, but after talking to Johnson, ending up sponsoring the entire series in a partnership that lasted until 2003.

Rusty Wallace - Retired NASCAR Driver - Wallace won 55 races in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and the 1989 Winston Cup Series championship. Now, he after his driving career is over, he still stays in NASCAR working as a broadcaster for ESPN.

Wendell Scott - Retired NASCAR Driver - Scott became known for being the first and so far only African American driver to win a race in NASCAR's top series. He also managed a series of great finishes in equipment he owned by himself and worked on by himself. He also was one of the most unliked drivers, so much that he was not awarded the win for his race until after all the fans had left.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 pm

He wasn't awarded the race trophy because he was an African American. Nothing he did caused him to be unliked. It was pure racism.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:He wasn't awarded the race trophy because he was an African American. Nothing he did caused him to be unliked. It was pure racism.

He was unliked because he was African American. I just was typing quickly and didn't write that.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PKligBKFan Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Honestly, I'm very surprised that Alan Kulwicki isn't a nominee. Happy for all of the new five.
PKligBKFan
PKligBKFan
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AntmanB Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32 am

well all he di was win 1 championship. he will be on eventually, just not right now.

i
AntmanB
AntmanB
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:41 am

PKligBKFan wrote:Honestly, I'm very surprised that Alan Kulwicki isn't a nominee. Happy for all of the new five.
I'm more surprised Leonard Wood didn't make it in....
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanrar Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am

flyingturns89 wrote:Ralph Seagraves - Sponsor - Seagraves worked for the RJ Reynolds Company and was in charge of finding new ways to get advertising for their cigarette brands. Seagraves met with Junior Johnson about sponsoring him, but after talking to Johnson, ending up sponsoring the entire series in a partnership that lasted until 2003.

This guy deserves to be in the NASCAR Hall of Fame WHY?
Tanrar
Tanrar
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 am

Wendell Scott I belive should have been inducted already, look we may not have alot of African American drivers in Nascar. But he buried the racism in Nascar with that win he got.
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PKligBKFan Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:34 pm

f1fan12 wrote:Wendell Scott I belive should have been inducted already, look we may not have alot of African American drivers in Nascar. But he buried the racism in Nascar with that win he got.

Not exactly. He wasn't even given the trophy. Unfortunately, the racism in NASCAR went away after he passed away. Although I believe he paved the way for African American drivers such as Bill Lester, Chase Austin, Darrell Wallace, Jr. etc.
PKligBKFan
PKligBKFan
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:36 pm

PKligBKFan wrote:
f1fan12 wrote:Wendell Scott I belive should have been inducted already, look we may not have alot of African American drivers in Nascar. But he buried the racism in Nascar with that win he got.

Not exactly. He wasn't even given the trophy. Unfortunately, the racism in NASCAR went away after he passed away. Although I believe he paved the way for African American drivers such as Bill Lester, Chase Austin, Darrell Wallace, Jr. etc.

Actually, he was given the trophy, but not until all the fans had left.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

RandomClassic wrote:
flyingturns89 wrote:Ralph Seagraves - Sponsor - Seagraves worked for the RJ Reynolds Company and was in charge of finding new ways to get advertising for their cigarette brands. Seagraves met with Junior Johnson about sponsoring him, but after talking to Johnson, ending up sponsoring the entire series in a partnership that lasted until 2003.

NASCAR's popularity went on the up-and-up after Winston signed up to be the main sponsor. Without Winston, there would never have been a Winston Million or No Bull 5, and NASCAR probably would've struggled to find a main sponsor for the Cup Series for years without Winston.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced. NM14-Wallpapers-LewisS_Android_320x480
crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:54 pm

crl wrote:
RandomClassic wrote:

NASCAR's popularity went on the up-and-up after Winston signed up to be the main sponsor. Without Winston, there would never have been a Winston Million or No Bull 5, and NASCAR probably would've struggled to find a main sponsor for the Cup Series for years without Winston.
or ultimately go down the IROC route...
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PKligBKFan Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:10 pm

NASCAR awarded Scott the win two years after his first win, but his family never actually received the trophy he had earned till 2010--37 years after the race, and 20 years after Scott had died.
PKligBKFan
PKligBKFan
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by crl Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 pm

PKligBKFan wrote:NASCAR awarded Scott the win two years after his first win, but his family never actually received the trophy he had earned till 2010--37 years after the race, and 20 years after Scott had died.

Somebody on Wikipedia did some bad math. 2010-1963=47.

Josef Newgarden's #1 Tennessee-based EFR fan.
EFR's #1 fan of Karen Gillan and Milana Vayntrub.
NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nominees to be announced. NM14-Wallpapers-LewisS_Android_320x480
crl
crl
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PackerMan71 Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Personally, I hope Bobby Isaac makes it in.
PackerMan71
PackerMan71
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PKligBKFan Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:48 pm

crl wrote:
PKligBKFan wrote:NASCAR awarded Scott the win two years after his first win, but his family never actually received the trophy he had earned till 2010--37 years after the race, and 20 years after Scott had died.

Somebody on Wikipedia did some bad math. 2010-1963=47.

True. But point is, he didn't get the trophy until after he had died but he got the prize money after the win. Wendell didn't care about the money, he just wanted the trophy.
PKligBKFan
PKligBKFan
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down