Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by AntmanB on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:15 pm

NASCAR suspends Knaus for six weeks; Hendrick to appeal: NASCAR has issued penalties, suspensions and fines to the #48 team in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rules infractions found on Feb. 17 during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500. The #48 car was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the rule book or has not been approved by NASCAR prior to the event); and 20-2.1E (if in the judgment of NASCAR officials, any part or component of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that has been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance will not be permitted -- unapproved car body modifications). As a result, crew chief Chad Knaus and car chief Ron Malec have been suspended from the next six Sprint Cup Series championship events, suspended from NASCAR until April 18 and placed on NASCAR probation until May 9. Additionally, Knaus has been fined $100,000. Driver Jimmie Johnson and car owner Jeff Gordon have been penalized with the loss of 25 driver and 25 owner points, respectively.(NASCAR)
AND Hendrick Motorsports will appeal sanctions announced by NASCAR related to the #48 Sprint Cup Series team. "Our organization respects NASCAR and the way the sanctioning body governs our sport," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "In this case, though, the system broke down, and we will voice our concerns through the appeal process." Adjustments to #48 team personnel are not planned while the appeal is ongoing.(Hendrick Motorsports)(2-29-2012)



I think the Apocalypse is coming. NASCAR KEEPS DOING THINGS RIGHT!
avatar
AntmanB
Legend
Legend

Posts : 1415
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by BWardboy88 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:16 pm

I wonder if his championship chances are over already?
avatar
BWardboy88
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 5784
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:I wonder if his championship chances are over already?
He's gonna make the chase and get 5000 points automatically. Definately not.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by f1fan12 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:21 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:I wonder if his championship chances are over already?

They have won it without Kanaus for 6 races. They can do it again.
avatar
f1fan12
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2525
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Bay Village Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by PackerMan71 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Apparently, Knaus hasn't learned his lesson yet.
avatar
PackerMan71
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2537
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Groveport, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by BWardboy88 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:32 pm

f1fan12 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:I wonder if his championship chances are over already?

They have won it without Kanaus for 6 races. They can do it again.

I'm not saying he's a bad driver, I'm saying that he will make a recovery, he's just got to manage his next six races trying to score good finishes to raise his game. Besides, it's only the beginning... Hmmm...
avatar
BWardboy88
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 5784
Join date : 2012-01-11
Age : 20
Location : Northampton, UK

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by day500champ1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm

AntmanB wrote:"Our organization respects NASCAR and the way the sanctioning body governs our sport," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "In this case, though, the system broke down, and we will voice our concerns through the appeal process."

Really Rick? And how many times has Chad been caught bending the rules? The difference between Chad and people like Junior Johnson and Smokey Yunick is they were small enough to not get caught. Really Chad? Maybe he can use the 6 races to figure out a way to not get caught again.


Last edited by day500champ1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
day500champ1
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2306
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 26
Location : Warren, Michigan

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by RACECAR on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Personally, I find the points deduction and suspensions unnecessary as the offending material was found before any on-track activities, therefore never actually did any infringement (which I recall WAS the reason Chad was suspended last time). I really don't understand this. I can understand Chad getting suspended in 2006 for unapproved modifications that actually did infringe during on track activity. Likewise, the Shems caught on both the 18 and 20 cars were both infringing during on track activities. Usually, everytime I see a crew Chief suspension for unaproved Modifications or adjustments, it was an actual infringment on track found in post qualifying or race inspection so why now is it being applied for an offence that never even did any kind of infringement on track at all?
avatar
RACECAR
Legend
Legend

Posts : 815
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 28
Location : Dallas, TX

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by PYLrulz on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 pm

I GOT MORE POINTS THAN JIMMIE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
avatar
PYLrulz
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 32
Location : Mountville, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by RealRacer4 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm

I honestly find the penalties to be harsh, but this is freaking hilarious. Laughing Laughing Laughing

RealRacer4
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2089
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by RyanB06 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:05 pm

RACECAR wrote:Personally, I find the points deduction and suspensions unnecessary as the offending material was found before any on-track activities, therefore never actually did any infringement (which I recall WAS the reason Chad was suspended last time). I really don't understand this. I can understand Chad getting suspended in 2006 for unapproved modifications that actually did infringe during on track activity. Likewise, the Shems caught on both the 18 and 20 cars were both infringing during on track activities. Usually, everytime I see a crew Chief suspension for unaproved Modifications or adjustments, it was an actual infringment on track found in post qualifying or race inspection so why now is it being applied for an offence that never even did any kind of infringement on track at all?

When you go through tech, no matter when it is, if you flunk, you're penalized. Doesn't matter if it's before first practice, after qualifying, or after the race. They put a car through tech that flunked. That's it, bottom line. I don't know how you're seeing grey area there.

Also, we seem to have forgotten NASCAR's golden rule regarding the new car: Thou shalt not mess with the new car. Johnson/Knaus's penalty was in line with other penalties that have been handed out for COT violations in the past. So it isn't excessive, either.

avatar
RyanB06
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 41
Location : CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Racerfan275 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:11 pm

This is just too good, The season's already interesting and we're just getting started

Racerfan275
Legend
Legend

Posts : 893
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 18
Location : Arkansas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by RACECAR on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

RyanB06 wrote:
When you go through tech, no matter when it is, if you flunk, you're penalized. Doesn't matter if it's before first practice, after qualifying, or after the race. They put a car through tech that flunked. That's it, bottom line. I don't know how you're seeing grey area there.

I'm going off previous penalties I've seen and to my memory, all of them were for offenses that happened during or after on-track activities. I'm not saying they shouldn't have any consequence as I've even said that they could just get a fine, I'm just questioning why this one is suddenly regarding a offense that unlike for example the modifications from the 2006 Season, happened before all on-track activities and the team gained nothing from said offence.
avatar
RACECAR
Legend
Legend

Posts : 815
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 28
Location : Dallas, TX

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Spyker88

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by navycook75 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I would laugh if Jimmie finishes below 35th this weekend....
avatar
navycook75
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 4891
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 28
Location : Portland, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Alta on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm shocked Nascar actually penalized him...

Inb4 Jimmie wins 2 out of the next 5 races.
avatar
Alta
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 3944
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 93
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by pepsibottle1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 pm

day500champ1 wrote:
AntmanB wrote:"Our organization respects NASCAR and the way the sanctioning body governs our sport," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "In this case, though, the system broke down, and we will voice our concerns through the appeal process."

Really Rick? And how many times has Chad been caught bending the rules? The difference between Chad and people like Junior Johnson and Smokey Yunick is they were small enough to not get caught. Really Chad? Maybe he can use the 6 races to figure out a way to not get caught again.

Ditto. Rep points in my book, took the words right outta my mouth.

Btw, what exactly was the illegal part(s)?
avatar
pepsibottle1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 844
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by RyanB06 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Both C-pillars. They didn't conform to the template.
avatar
RyanB06
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 41
Location : CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by BurningThunder on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:23 am

We all have more NASCAR driver's points than Jimmie Johnson. Congratulations, everyone.

_________________

Online Wins: 3 (Most Recent: F5 @ New York Street Course 2/10/2017) THE STREAK IS OVER
Online Poles: 4 (Most Recent: F5 @ Gravis City 9/2/2016)
GOMA's resident Russki!
I eat the weeb pizza.
avatar
BurningThunder
Legend
Legend

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 23
Location : Chagrin Falls, OH/Columbus, OH

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/BurningThund3r?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Cynon on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 am

PackerMan71 wrote:Apparently, Knaus hasn't learned his lesson yet.

Neither has NASCAR. Just because Knaus isn't there doesn't mean he can't effectively work his magic on the car. All they need is something that lets them communicate with each other... you know, like... a phone... an Internet Connection... little things like that...

_________________
Effort Equals Results

Online Wins: 19
Last Win: Formula 5 @ Vancouver, WA
EFR's #1 Robby Gordon fan
Nintendo ID (Wii U only): Cyriaan

Barton wrote:It has a McDonalds, so it might be a city.

Bob Ross wrote:Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do.

avatar
Cynon
Admin

Posts : 3064
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 28
Location : Chicago, Illinois

View user profile http://efr1.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by pepsibottle1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am

Cynon wrote:
PackerMan71 wrote:Apparently, Knaus hasn't learned his lesson yet.

Neither has NASCAR. Just because Knaus isn't there doesn't mean he can't effectively work his magic on the car. All they need is something that lets them communicate with each other... you know, like... a phone... an Internet Connection... little things like that...

I don't think anyone out there has the brains nor balls to do that. If someone did in fact try something so radical and made a slip-up, NASCAR would not be at all too happy about it. If there's one thing I've learned from watching all of those Dateline and 48 Hours murder whodunits (my Mom has really started to get into those) is that 99.9% of the time, those guys get caught. Someone will have the perfect plan only to carelessly rush through everything and leave behind a small detail. Same applies with going behind NASCAR. Someone will either tell someone else who in turn tells someone else, or one of those small details will be overlooked giving them away. I don't think anyone in the garage area except for a select few would actually be capable of carrying something of that magnitude through without royally screwing it up. Definitly not Front Row Motorsports, that for sure Laughing

And to be quite honest, I really like Knaus's attitude to push the rules. No guts, no glory, that's for sure. But even though he may be technically gifted, he sure does lack common sense! If you're going to do something like this, for the love of god, don't modify one of the most obvious areas of the car! And don't tell your driver to wreck the car (which I did not agree with btw, lol) over the radio which NASCAR actively monitors! You would that he would at least think things through a bit better, but jeez! Maybe he needs to take a page from Smokey Unick and Ken Tyrell on how to innovate without getting caught (minus Tyrell's 1984 incident, Cy probably knows what I'm talking about. Wink)
avatar
pepsibottle1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 844
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by pennst24 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 am

Totally Brinson, that's why Bono Manion was standing up on the backstretch hill at Loudon a few years ago with a laptop and and an iPhone even when he was suspended. You can't possibly think that suspended crew chiefs don't come in the contact with the rest of the team.
avatar
pennst24
Legend
Legend

Posts : 1239
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Nextelracer on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 am

I think this penalty is quite ridiculous. The aforementioned car was never even put under a template by NASCAR, so technically it never "failed" an inspection. It's just a case of NASCAR saying that they didn't like what they see, a la back in 1997 with Jeff Gordon's "T-Rex" car. If anyone remembers, that car was 100% legal; It pushed every rule in the book to the limit, but it was indeed legal. However, after it was told to never show up to the track again, there were rule changes implemented because of it.

So, I don't get why the 48 got penalized in this instance, because the car never made it on the track. I know that Chad is known for his "bending" of the rules, but this is a different instance than the previous infractions he's been involved in altogether.

However, on the flipside of this issue, Rick Hendrick said that this particular car had passed 16 previous inspections, so that fact leads me to believe that whatever NASCAR saw was probably very, very blatant...as in, an obvious attempt at flat-out cheating.

I guess we'll never know.

However, I do know one thing. Even if Chad is banned from showing up for the rest of the races in the 2012 season, he will still have loads of influence on the preparation and setup of the cars. NASCAR has no jurisdiction over the Hendrick Motorsports shop, and there are small devices nowadays called cell-phones and laptops which provide amazing communication abilities. I honestly don't think the 48 team will be affected by this penalty at all.
avatar
Nextelracer
Rookie
Rookie

Posts : 116
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 25
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by pepsibottle1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:15 am

pennst24 wrote:Totally Brinson, that's why Bono Manion was standing up on the backstretch hill at Loudon a few years ago with a laptop and and an iPhone even when he was suspended. You can't possibly think that suspended crew chiefs don't come in the contact with the rest of the team.

Oops, I thought you and Cy were talking about scheming to illegally modifying the car via private communication. I fail. Of course Chad is still going to have a lot of say-so within the team, even if he is suspended.


Last edited by pepsibottle1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
pepsibottle1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 844
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by pennst24 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:32 am

pepsibottle1 wrote:
pennst24 wrote:Totally Brinson, that's why Bono Manion was standing up on the backstretch hill at Loudon a few years ago with a laptop and and an iPhone even when he was suspended. You can't possibly think that suspended crew chiefs don't come in the contact with the rest of the team.

Oops, I thought you Cy talking about scheming illegally modifying the car via private communication. I fail. Of course Chad is still going to have a lot of say-so within the team, even if he is suspended.

Ok, now I see. Laughing
avatar
pennst24
Legend
Legend

Posts : 1239
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by pepsibottle1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 pm

pennst24 wrote:
pepsibottle1 wrote:
pennst24 wrote:Totally Brinson, that's why Bono Manion was standing up on the backstretch hill at Loudon a few years ago with a laptop and and an iPhone even when he was suspended. You can't possibly think that suspended crew chiefs don't come in the contact with the rest of the team.

Oops, I thought you Cy talking about scheming illegally modifying the car via private communication. I fail. Of course Chad is still going to have a lot of say-so within the team, even if he is suspended.

Ok, now I see. Laughing

Now that wasn't me, but my phone auto spell failed on that
avatar
pepsibottle1
Legend
Legend

Posts : 844
Join date : 2011-08-07
Age : 22
Location : Norfolk, VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Vincent Giacalone on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Maybe I'm biased but I don't see why Jeff Gordon would need to get driver points taken away for this if he had nothing to do with the illegal posts. Owner points I totally get, but...really?
avatar
Vincent Giacalone
Legend
Legend

Posts : 1263
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by RyanB06 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Nascarboy426 wrote:Maybe I'm biased but I don't see why Jeff Gordon would need to get driver points taken away for this if he had nothing to do with the illegal posts. Owner points I totally get, but...really?

He's not. Read it again:
Driver Jimmie Johnson and car owner Jeff Gordon have been penalized with the loss of 25 driver and 25 owner points, respectively.

This means JJ loses 25 driver points and Gordo loses 25 owner points. That's it.
avatar
RyanB06
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot
We Get It, You Like to Post a Lot

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 41
Location : CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Vincent Giacalone on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:37 pm

RyanB06 wrote:
Nascarboy426 wrote:Maybe I'm biased but I don't see why Jeff Gordon would need to get driver points taken away for this if he had nothing to do with the illegal posts. Owner points I totally get, but...really?

He's not. Read it again:
Driver Jimmie Johnson and car owner Jeff Gordon have been penalized with the loss of 25 driver and 25 owner points, respectively.

This means JJ loses 25 driver points and Gordo loses 25 owner points. That's it.

Ah, OK. I derped.
avatar
Vincent Giacalone
Legend
Legend

Posts : 1263
Join date : 2011-08-06
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmie Johnson Starts the season with -23 Points!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum