Ernhrtfan Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark

+12
rightdrive1
ParaLanche
Sparkz47
day500champ1
pepsibottle1
RyanB06
f1fan12
BBoy
BWard
Alta
navycook75
Ceej
16 posters

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark Empty BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark

Post by Ceej Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:33 pm

At approximately 2:00 Friday afternoon, the day before the running of the ARLA Elite Series's season-opening Smash Beer 400, a severe thunderstorm hit the Dallas area, resulting in a tornado that damaged many structures on the Dallas Speedpark grounds, including the grandstands lining the frontstretch and turn 1.

The tornado, estimated to be a category F-2 with wind speeds exceeding 130 MPH, only grazed the perimeter of the track and continued on its journey before dissipating three miles away. Nobody at the track was hurt, but medical reports for the surrounding area have not yet emerged. None of the structures and vehicles in the infield, including the ARLA cars and haulers, were damaged. Also unaffected was a hotel approximately one mile away from the track, which housed most of the drivers and team members.

The damage caused by the tornado is estimated to be between $1,300,000 and $1,700,000. ARLA CEO Jen Walker, along with Dallas Speedpark promoter Sean Costanzo, announced the cancellation of the Smash Beer 400 at 10:00 PM Friday night, long after the damage had been done. Walker then announced that the Daytona 300, scheduled for the following week, would open the season instead in its normal slot.

Costanza then stated, "We are optimistic that we can have the track repaired so that ARLA may return at some point during the season. But more importantly, our prayers are with those who may have been affected by this terrible storm".

(OOC: I've slowly come to the realization that the track sucks, and I don't really feel like dealing with it anymore.)
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark

Post by navycook75 Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Chris Winter will drive Daytona, and Lucas Flint will drive Talledega and the rest of his scheduled races.
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark

Post by Alta Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Well......

Damn.
Alta
Alta
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 am

This is what Barney Ward said when watching this stunning headline on the news: "I am in so much shock about this. It's not the way everyone wants to start the new season, but this has also had a big effect on my part-time schedule as well because I had select Race 1 to be the first race I run, but since the opening round moves to Daytona, which I din't select for my part-time schedule. I'll have to select another race to compete in."

Last edited by BWardboy88 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-G6rEsg8Pbu_eZJLyzepYg

Back to top Go down

Post by BBoy Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:33 am

I think this sums up my reaction pretty well...

BBoy
BBoy
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 am

Awww, I kinda liked that track, they crashed all over it, but, it looked cool.
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:05 am

For those of us scheduled to run Dallas as part-timers, can we change to another track or do we lose the race if it isn't rescheduled?
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pepsibottle1 Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

Brinson Engineering aiming to run Piqua in favor of Daytona

In light of the recent developments regarding the Dallas tornado and subsqequent rescheduling to Daytona International Speedway, Brinson Engineering team owner Matt Brinson has decided to forego the season opener and will instead run the 6th round at Piqua, OH instead.

"First, out deepest sympathies go out to those affected by the storm. You never want to see anything happen like this and I can only hope that we were able to avoid any serious injury or loss. The good news is that the early warning system worked as intended and we had a good 5-10 minutes to find safe cover. Although the hotel we were at was relatively unharmed, I know there are some in the area left without house and home and we can only hope that everyone is safe."

"In regards to the race at Daytona; as much as I want to run the event, the fact of the matter is that we don't have the dedicated superspeedway program that the others do and I feel that we would be more competitive sticking to the short tracks and speedways. That's what I feel is our strong suit. With that said, the #12 car will forego the season opener and instead will run Round 6 at the Piqua Fairgrounds. Trey (Ashby) has experience running there with the USUC Midgets and it is a track which suits the car well."

By skipping the event at Daytona, the #12 team will make their ARLA debut in Round 3 at the Carbondale Raceway
pepsibottle1
pepsibottle1
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by day500champ1 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am

GLM to offer help to area affected by Dallas Twister

GLM owner, Jim More, who is schedule to run the Daytona 300, was at his racing shop in Michigan when he heard about the twister that hit Dallas.

"That's scary. I remember being at a drag racing event in '88 in Houston when a tornado struck about 2 miles from the track. It isn't fun that's for sure."

More said he would offer his and his race team's help to the area in any way possible. More also said he would donate any prize money he earns in Daytona to relief efforts in the area.
day500champ1
day500champ1
Legend
Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceej Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:34 pm

RyanB06 wrote:For those of us scheduled to run Dallas as part-timers, can we change to another track or do we lose the race if it isn't rescheduled?
The Texas race will be scheduled for later in the season.
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkz47 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

New footage has surfaced of the storm that devastated the Dallas Speedpark.

Sparkz47
Sparkz47
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by ParaLanche Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Sparkz47 wrote:New footage has surfaced of the storm that devastated the Dallas Speedpark.

More like this:
ParaLanche
ParaLanche
Development Series Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by rightdrive1 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I wonder how this going to affect the rookies who ran in the Rookie Shootout....
rightdrive1
rightdrive1
Development Driver
Development Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:32 pm

rightdrive1 wrote:I wonder how this going to affect the rookies who ran in the Rookie Shootout....

Hopefully it might not be rerun soon, I think that considers when the Dallas Speedpark will return to the schedule as soon as possible.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceej Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Their first points race (at least, the first points race for much of the field) will now be on a track that will let them pretend they have talent Very Happy
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by rightdrive1 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Ceej wrote:Their first points race (at least, the first points race for much of the field) will now be on a track that will let them pretend they have talent Very Happy

We all love the draft!
rightdrive1
rightdrive1
Development Driver
Development Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by gwoodard41 Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 am

A-Kuh Braking at it's finest: Superspeedways!
gwoodard41
gwoodard41
Legend
Legend

Location : Decatur, Illinois, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

Back to top Go down

Post by pepsibottle1 Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 am

gwoodard41 wrote:A-Kuh Braking at it's finest: Superspeedways!

THEYRE STACKIN EM' UP... Laughing Laughing
pepsibottle1
pepsibottle1
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpineopossum Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:42 pm

rightdrive1 wrote:
Ceej wrote:Their first points race (at least, the first points race for much of the field) will now be on a track that will let them pretend they have talent Very Happy

We all love the draft!

You have to wonder how the new bodystyles will cope with superspeedway racing.
Alpineopossum
Alpineopossum
Champion
Champion

http://ohioperspective.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ParaLanche Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Alpineopossum wrote:
rightdrive1 wrote:

We all love the draft!

You have to wonder how the new bodystyles will cope with superspeedway racing.
((if only the ai could blowover... Then it would be realistic with that big opening on the back! haha))
ParaLanche
ParaLanche

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Has there ever been a fatality in ARLA? Cause there's gonna be one at Daytona.
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by f1fan12 Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm

flyingturns89 wrote:Has there ever been a fatality in ARLA? Cause there's gonna be one at Daytona.

Floyd Moss
f1fan12
f1fan12
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Just one thing to say but when Moss was killed at 'dega, what was the type of bodystyle that ARLA was using back in 2004?
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykia Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:Just one thing to say but when Moss was killed at 'dega, what was the type of bodystyle that ARLA was using back in 2004?

I wanna say the GT?

Rykia
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceej Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Minor spoiler: There was, but he got better.
Ceej
Ceej
Champion
Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Rykia_RKXK wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:Just one thing to say but when Moss was killed at 'dega, what was the type of bodystyle that ARLA was using back in 2004?

I wanna say the GT?

I guess you mean the Trans AM cars.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pepsibottle1 Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Ceej wrote:Minor spoiler: There was, but he got better.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
pepsibottle1
pepsibottle1
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by navycook75 Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Rykia_RKXK wrote:

I wanna say the GT?
I think the GT Bodies was introduced in 2007, so I'm guessing they used the bodies they used last year....
navycook75
navycook75
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 pm

navycook75 wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:

I wanna say the GT?
I think the GT Bodies was introduced in 2007, so I'm guessing they used the bodies they used last year....

Wasn't Floyd Moss's fatality just a freak accident or did it have something to do with the design of the car?
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanB06 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:

I wanna say the GT?

Wasn't Floyd Moss's fatality just a freak accident or did it have something to do with the design of the car?

This is why we have a wiki.
RyanB06
RyanB06
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

RyanB06 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:

I wanna say the GT?

I know I read it. I can use my imagination to think of what the crash actually looked like. It feels like it gives me reminder off all the terrible accidents that Leslie Riggs had in 2010 and 2011. Hopefully these news cars will prevent as much injury as possible in even the worst possible wrecks that could happen this season.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by pepsibottle1 Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 pm

BWardboy88 wrote:
RyanB06 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:

I wanna say the GT?

I know I read it. I can use my imagination to think of what the crash actually looked like. It feels like it gives me reminder off all the terrible accidents that Leslie Riggs had in 2010 and 2011. Hopefully these news cars will prevent as much injury as possible in even the worst possible wrecks that could happen this season.

With drivers like these, injury is inveitable. "Talent is optional" Very Happy
pepsibottle1
pepsibottle1
Regular Contender
Regular Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BWard Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:17 pm

pepsibottle1 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
RyanB06 wrote:
BWardboy88 wrote:
navycook75 wrote:
Rykia_RKXK wrote:

I wanna say the GT?

With drivers like these, injury is inveitable. "Talent is optional" Very Happy

Yeah, big heavy stock cars that are supposed to built for dirt racing but are gonna put these races at risk of an injury occurring.
BWard
BWard
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingturns89 Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:24 pm

C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

So anyways, back on topic, Ceej, will you be choosing another Dallas track to run, or making some changes to this one so that there's not magnets in the walls?
flyingturns89
flyingturns89
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down